JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years270th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Apr 24 06:5028th Mar 24 11:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid.
Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal.
Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.

Re: Deluded Lenagan : Tue May 21, 2019 1:00 pm  
Trainman wrote:
The negativity never ceases to amaze me.

IL says he is reluctant to take games away from the DW because of the stick from some season ticket holders. So your criticising him for listening to the fans?

What else should he say about Lam, whether you think he should get the job or not to come out and say he has no chance (even if true) would benefit no one. All it would do is create more uncertainty in the camp & demotivate the coaching and playing staff.

No, I’m criticising him for moaning about he stick he’s gettimg. It’s like me moaning that my Mrs gives me stick for going out of the lash Friday night and coming home Sunday.

With regards Lam, he should be back down under looking for another job. I gave him a chance but we are half way through the season and still look like a bunch of strangers who’ve turned up to play a game of rugby for a third team.
Last edited by post on Tue May 21, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1072
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 16 200915 years310th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Jun 22 15:5227th Jan 22 09:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Deluded Lenagan : Tue May 21, 2019 1:22 pm  
I think IL got stick for taking home games away from the DW due to the distance involved in both. I'm a STH and I went to the one at Millwall but the stated intention (by IL) of boosting the clubs profile through the Millwall and Australia games was just nonsense. It was never going to work as both are too far away from the club for anyone local that attended (spectators or businesses) to care for much more than the duration of the games. Both were also far too inconvenient for our home support to attend even if you ignore the cost involved.

Had he taken those games to Anfield, the Etihad or even somewhere like Preston we could have improved our profile in the wider NW region, it would have been much easier and cheaper for our fanbase to attend and we could have got some new spectators within those areas, who would feasibly be able to travel regularly to attend our games at the DW and some new sponsors on board. I'm sure he would have got a lot less critcism over venue choices too.

I have not got a problem with us having a game each season taken away from the DW but the choice of alternate venue has to be much better thought out than the two previous attempts.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1831No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 17 20168 years216th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 22:1921st Apr 24 16:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Deluded Lenagan : Tue May 21, 2019 2:01 pm  
post wrote:
No, I’m criticising him for moaning about he stick he’s gettimg. It’s like me moaning that my Mrs gives me stick for going out of the lash Friday night and coming home Sunday.

With regards Lam, he should be back down under looking for another job. I gave him a handle but we are half way through the season and still look like a bunch of strangers who’ve turned up to play a game of rugby for a third team.

What would it achieve if Lam was sent home tomorrow? We’d have no head coach, we’d have no chance of getting one in if any sort of quality therefore Winder would be appointed until the end of the season leaving us without an assistant.

Look at Leeds, how have they benefited from sacking Furner?

Whether Lam is the right choice for next season and beyond is a matter for debate, I’m still open minded, I wouldn’t object but it depends on who else is available and interested in the job.

For this season sacking him now in my opinion will only make the situation worse.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15185No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 14 200618 years189th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 08:0024th Apr 24 11:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Deluded Lenagan : Tue May 21, 2019 2:28 pm  
Trainman wrote:
What would it achieve if Lam was sent home tomorrow? We’d have no head coach, we’d have no chance of getting one in if any sort of quality therefore Winder would be appointed until the end of the season leaving us without an assistant.

Whether Lam is the right choice for next season and beyond is a matter for debate, I’m still open minded, I wouldn’t object but it depends on who else is available and interested in the job.

For this season sacking him now in my opinion will only make the situation worse.

I partly agree. For me, Lam is completely the wrong fit for this Wigan team. Whatever's happened since he arrived, we are simply the pits. I'm so weary of this worst-ever-form that I can't even be bothered going through all the things wrong with us, because they are legion. But I do agree that releasing him now would be self-defeating. At least as long as he's here, believing he has a chance of getting the job full-time, he has a motivation to try to create a winning format. If he was relased or was told that he was being released in the autumn, the opposite would be true.

Hopefully though, the chairman is already looking elsewhere for next season, for players as well as a coach - because Lam should only leave this club as part of a massive overhaul.

We genuinely need to rebuild from the bottom up.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years270th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid.
Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal.
Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.

Re: Deluded Lenagan : Tue May 21, 2019 2:57 pm  
Trainman wrote:

We may benefit from starting to play like a team that knows what they’re doing which in turn may get bums back on seats and at least give the fans something to cheer for the rest of the season. 2006 is the lowest point in modern times but at least that season was saved by sacking Millward and signing Dobson, Fielden and co, at least we give it a go. What we are doing now is saying we aren’t abysmal but we will keep on going down that route.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1831No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 17 20168 years216th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 22:1921st Apr 24 16:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Deluded Lenagan : Tue May 21, 2019 4:14 pm  
Half a story. 2006 was saved by sacking Millward after finding the coach who would replace him then signing Dobson and Fielden by re-negotiating existing contracts to create space in the cap, a practice which is now not allowed and one we got penalised for even though it wasn’t against the rules at the time.

Where is the next coach going to come from? Where are the players and cap space going to come from?
RankPostsTeam
International Star2795No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20 201113 years281st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Nov 23 17:244th Nov 23 09:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Deluded Lenagan : Tue May 21, 2019 6:11 pm  
Last Son of Wigan wrote:
I don't know what people have seen to warrant giving Lam the job.
Looking at the way we play, attitude of the players, league position etc, how exactly has he earned a head coaches job?

All his stint as done is boost Wane's profile.

I totally understand people’s reservations about Lam. We haven’t exactly set the world on fire this season at all. But let’s not pretend we did so under the entire Shaun Wane tenure either. We won when we had to most of the time and we rarely blew teams away with scintillating rugby. I reckon Waney saw this season coming and decided to get out before it did. Apart from the super 8SP and play offs, last season also saw us play some awful rugby. Who can forget Hull KR away or Warrington in the Cup? Not be but I really wish I could!
Lam came in to steer the ship for one season before handing over the reins. He’s had rotten luck and tried to implement new structures in a side with literally no consistency. I’ve maintained throughout that we’ve seen glimpses of what he’s tried to change in attack and when we get it right, it’s electric! We just haven’t got it right consistently enough but I maintain that whilst it’s no excuse, the lack of consistency in the squad is some mitigation.
We’re talking about Adrian Lam. A man with a 15 year coaching apprenticeship under his belt. Coach of junior sides, PNG head coach, assistant coach at the reigning NRL & world champions and assistant coach of the Australia national side. That doesn’t happen if you’re no good.
Lam needs to bring in people he trusts to play in his structure. He needs to be given the resources to significantly upgrade the squad. We know that most of this squad had a phenomenal run in the play offs and GF last year but arguably the 2 best players in that squad have gone and the others have aged. The simple truth is, some (quite a few) of our 1st 17 are just not good enough and I honestly believe it wouldn’t matter who was coaching them, they’d struggle. The teams around us have significantly strengthened, Saints & Warrington especially but not exclusively.
I genuinely, hand on heart believe that resources is a bigger issue than Lam’s coaching.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member8106No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years265th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Apr 24 10:5421st Apr 24 12:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Deluded Lenagan : Tue May 21, 2019 6:56 pm  
The title of this thread "Deluded Lenagan" must be the daftest ever on this board.
He's owned the club 12 years from 2008 and appointed his first coach, McGuire, in 2010. Since then with McGuire and Wane as head coaches we've been in countless finals winning most of them.
He's transformed the club's finances from being a financial car crash in DW's ownership to being manageable. He has put in £ms of his own money in recent years and has/is now wisely limiting spending.
When comparing the 12 years of IL's ownership from DW's there's no comparison. We are massively better off now with IL running the place.
As for him saying Lam is favourite it's hardly surprising. He can hardly say anything else. He said it prior to the Catalan game so he may be reconsidering it.
Lam will be judged on results and performances. After the Wire Cup loss most of us felt it was a good team performance and with a different VR decision we would have won the game. The Barcelona shambles left us all disappointed. I'm sure none more so than all at the club.
We now have four away games where Lam will be judged very critically I'd imagine.
After all, IL said Lam was favourite. That is a very long way from saying he's got the job.
As for IL being "deluded", how daft can it get?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years270th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Deluded Lenagan : Tue May 21, 2019 7:20 pm  
Father Ted wrote:
The title of this thread "Deluded Lenagan" must be the daftest ever on this board.
He's owned the club 12 years from 2008 and appointed his first coach, McGuire, in 2010. Since then with McGuire and Wane as head coaches we've been in countless finals winning most of them.
He's transformed the club's finances from being a financial car crash in DW's ownership to being manageable. He has put in £ms of his own money in recent years and has/is now wisely limiting spending.
When comparing the 12 years of IL's ownership from DW's there's no comparison. We are massively better off now with IL running the place.
As for him saying Lam is favourite it's hardly surprising. He can hardly say anything else. He said it prior to the Catalan game so he may be reconsidering it.
Lam will be judged on results and performances. After the Wire Cup loss most of us felt it was a good team performance and with a different VR decision we would have won the game. The Barcelona shambles left us all disappointed. I'm sure none more so than all at the club.
We now have four away games where Lam will be judged very critically I'd imagine.
After all, IL said Lam was favourite. That is a very long way from saying he's got the job.
As for IL being "deluded", how daft can it get?

You are Ian Lenagan and I claim my five pounds.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years270th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Deluded Lenagan : Tue May 21, 2019 7:23 pm  
Trainman wrote:
Where is the next coach going to come from? Where are the players and cap space going to come from?

British/Superleague- Chris Chester, Daryl Powell, Brian McDermott.

Overseas untested - Jason Demetriou

Overseas Experienced - Justin Morgan, Shane Flanagan.

Take your pick from the coaches, they’re just off the top of my head and regards salary cap we have Hamlins and Gansons wage to go at not to mention a marquee spot.
PreviousNext