Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garbage
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:36 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Mash Butty wrote:I don't think they would get into the Saints team. Flower & Farrell's both give good effort but their best days are behind them. Greenwood couldn't even deal with Fages in the saints match. Fielden did OK didn't he, unless you think he didn't?

Fielden was great for his first 10 games for us, then terrible/injured for 3 years, then improved to average for his last year. Having his massive wage on the cap was a massive millstone around the club's neck for years which postponed our rise to glory IMO. The most underperforming Wigan signing in living memory, and we're using him as an example of why the club should be opening the cheque book! :DOH:

Frank Zappa wrote:Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:49 am 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Grimmy wrote:Fielden was great for his first 10 games for us, then terrible/injured for 3 years, then improved to average for his last year. Having his massive wage on the cap was a massive milestone around the club's neck for years which postponed our rise to glory IMO. The most underperforming Wigan signing in living memory, and we're using him as an example of why the club should be opening the cheque book! :DOH:

Let’s be honest though, Fielden was left to do the hard work either on his own or alongside Coley. Feka was impact and did one good run a game and we had very young props in Prescott, O’Carroll and Mossop. When Fielden was at Bradford he had other props to lighten the load.

Future Wigan/Youngish player Wishlist - 1 - Jack Walker 2 - Nick Cotric 3 - TBC 4 - Oliver Gildart 5 - Joe Burgess 6 - George Williams 7 - Adam Reynolds 8 - Jordan McLean 9 - Jayden Brailey 10 - Jarrod Wallace 11 - Jack Williams 12 - Mike McMeekin 13 - Cameron Murray 14 - Christian Welch 15 - Danny Walker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:09 am 
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

We had Fielden at a real tough time in his personal life and it affected his performances. In 2010 he was superb IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:16 am 
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Grimmy wrote:Fielden was great for his first 10 games for us, then terrible/injured for 3 years, then improved to average for his last year. Having his massive wage on the cap was a massive millstone around the club's neck for years which postponed our rise to glory IMO. The most underperforming Wigan signing in living memory, and we're using him as an example of why the club should be opening the cheque book! :DOH:

I would say that title goes to Nigel Wright with 36 appearances in 5 season compared to Fieldens 139 in 6 seasons with Manfredi coming in second place

All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:24 am 
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

The Whiffy Kipper wrote:I would say that title goes to Nigel Wright with 36 appearances in 5 season compared to Fieldens 139 in 6 seasons with Manfredi coming in second place

Great talent Nigel Wright but he literally used to get injured getting out of bed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:30 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Egg Chasing wrote:Great talent Nigel Wright but he literally used to get injured getting out of bed.

I actually sat next to Nigel Wright on a flight to Australia in 2001 and he cut his finger on the fold up tray so your probably right with that

1998,2010,2013,2016 & 2018.....I was there

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:35 pm 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Fielden was the right signing for us at the time and alongside Dobson provided the boost we needed to stay up and afloat as a club in 2006 as relegation would have almost certainly meant imminent financial catastrophe.

Then his Mother died, his infamous Mason KO thrown in with trying to carry the Wigan pack on his own for the following seasons all meant he didn’t perform anywhere near his Bradford days when he was surrounded by the likes of Anderson, Peacock, Vagana and co. He went from a devastating and destructive pack to a weak one. In 2010 I thought he was outstanding though, playing in and sometimes now leading a dominant pack. That’s where Fielden came into his own.

We probably didn’t get value for money but that money needed to be spent at the time and I for one, despite his shortcomings in 07/08/09 am glad we signed him.

RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:58 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Hear hear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:12 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Grimmy wrote:Fielden was great for his first 10 games for us, then terrible/injured for 3 years, then improved to average for his last year. Having his massive wage on the cap was a massive millstone around the club's neck for years which postponed our rise to glory IMO. The most underperforming Wigan signing in living memory, and we're using him as an example of why the club should be opening the cheque book! :DOH:

You missed my point, we had "throw it anywhere" Sculthorpe at prop when we needed a steady eddie prop, Fielden was that person. Right time right place. This pack we have now is going to do nothing for us. The signings we have announced today will do nothing for us. However, the main point which is heartbreaking is that Wigan (or IL) are skint and so we can't sign another Fielden to save us this time but we need to offload TT & Clubb, they are not what we need right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:31 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Mash Butty wrote:You missed my point, we had "throw it anywhere" Sculthorpe at prop when we needed a steady eddie prop, Fielden was that person. Right time right place. This pack we have now is going to do nothing for us. The signings we have announced today will do nothing for us. However, the main point which is heartbreaking is that Wigan (or IL) are skint and so we can't sign another Fielden to save us this time but we need to offload TT & Clubb, they are not what we need right now.

Sculthorpe had long gone by the time we got into that mess. He spent the whole of that season on loan at Cas. I'd love us to offload Tautai but it's not that simple. He's under contract for next season and I can't see what side would want to pay his wages. I don't mind Clubb, but would probably have considered letting him go given his injuries and age.

Frank Zappa wrote:Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:35 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com