Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Improvement Needed
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:11 am 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:07 am
Posts: 314
100% Warrior wrote:RL Fans: Bring back the biff! Games gone soft!

Same RL Fans: Rubbing someone’s head is a disgrace

I seriously give up. Sportsmen and women wind up the opposition. Calling for an end to “head rubbing” whilst simultaneously wanting the game to “toughen up” is astoundingly hypocritical and completely against the spirit of sport.


I’ve zero clue if that’s a moan at my post or you’re in agreement that it’s sterilising the sport?

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement Needed
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:16 am 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:34 pm
Posts: 5770
Location: 3 Peers
hatty wrote:I’m assuming that you’ve never played the game. You do whatever you can to wind up your opponent, to put him off his game and to get under his skin. Yes you can come a cropper occasionally but that tends to come from the player your trying to wind up, not the ref. It’s part of the game and shouldn’t be phased out. We will be banning the celebrating when a knock on occurs from a big hit next.


This, and it's a part of all sports, to varying degrees...

I once spent a whole game trying to wind up David Stephenson... I failed, his team won, and after the game we had a chuckle and a pint....



I should add that we were playing crown green bowls.... I'm not a complete fool.. :)






Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper.

Big Steve wrote:
The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them.

aboveusonlypie...
If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement Needed
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:41 am 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 5379
Azul wrote:I’ve zero clue if that’s a moan at my post or you’re in agreement that it’s sterilising the sport?


Apologies I didn’t make it clear!

Agreeing with you completely :thumb:






RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement Needed
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:44 am 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 5379
hatty wrote:I’m assuming that you’ve never played the game. You do whatever you can to wind up your opponent, to put him off his game and to get under his skin. Yes you can come a cropper occasionally but that tends to come from the player your trying to wind up, not the ref. It’s part of the game and shouldn’t be phased out. We will be banning the celebrating when a knock on occurs from a big hit next.


Nail on the head. This is a reflection of the snowflake society we currently have.






RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement Needed
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:14 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:59 pm
Posts: 1155
Azul wrote:Genuine question, why? Why do we need this out the game? Isn’t it the job of the player who’s made a mistake, to just not react?
It just feels like another way to sterilise they sport, to me



For me it’s just not cricket if you know what I mean. I’m all for a bit of biff, I love it, like most fans when tension boils over and players go head to head.

I don’t like cheap shots, defenders rubbing attackers faces in the floor, that kind of thing. I don’t like Unsportsmanlike conduct. Play it tough & hard but play it fair.

Maybe all of this is from a bygone era but I like to see a bit of respect for both the officials and the opposition.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement Needed
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:26 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:00 pm
Posts: 3306
Location: wigan...where else!!
Trainman wrote:For me it’s just not cricket if you know what I mean. I’m all for a bit of biff, I love it, like most fans when tension boils over and players go head to head.

I don’t like cheap shots, defenders rubbing attackers faces in the floor, that kind of thing. I don’t like Unsportsmanlike conduct. Play it tough & hard but play it fair.

Maybe all of this is from a bygone era but I like to see a bit of respect for both the officials and the opposition.

Respect goes out of the window as soon as the ref blows his whistle.






1998,2010,2013,2016 & 2018.....I was there

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement Needed
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:44 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:59 pm
Posts: 1155
hatty wrote:Respect goes out of the window as soon as the ref blows his whistle.


They can still bash each other to bits but play with respect and in a sportsmanlike manner.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement Needed
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:56 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:00 pm
Posts: 3306
Location: wigan...where else!!
Trainman wrote:They can still bash each other to bits but play with respect and in a sportsmanlike manner.

Do you mean say sorry after every tackle :)






1998,2010,2013,2016 & 2018.....I was there

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement Needed
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:10 am 
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:05 pm
Posts: 902
Location: Auckland
Phuzzy wrote:The problem is it won't. It'll be forgotten about by next week and we'll probably never see another penalty given for this 'offence'..


^This X100.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement Needed
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:02 am 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:45 pm
Posts: 1231
Location: Under New Springs bridge wit' rest of trolls
Pie_Eyter wrote:No point going on Friday boys and girls. The Saints fans have spoken (on Redvee) They have already won the game apparently. Just need to turn up and play half decent (think i have seen these comments before somewhere) so save yourselves the hard earned dough. The oracle's have spoken.


Greatest squad of players since the'82 Kangaroos.
No matter how much we improve it won't be anywhere near good enough :(

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next





It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:32 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Levrier, WiganPom and 94 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:32 am
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,978,6281,38977,8924,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 7th Feb 19:45
SL
CASTLEFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Thu 13th Feb 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
TORONTO
Sun 23rd Feb 15:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL FC
Sun 1st Mar 15:00
SL
HUDDERSFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 8th Mar 15:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL KR
Fri 13th Mar 19:45
SL
SALFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 22nd Mar 15:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
CATALAN DRAGONS
Fri 27th Mar 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 10th Apr 14:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 17th Apr 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Sat 25th Apr 18:30
SL
TORONTO
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 3rd May 15:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Fri 15th May 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL KR
Sun 24th May 14:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 29th May 19:45
SL
CASTLEFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





28

.