Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Improvement Needed
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:11 am 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

100% Warrior wrote:RL Fans: Bring back the biff! Games gone soft!

Same RL Fans: Rubbing someone’s head is a disgrace

I seriously give up. Sportsmen and women wind up the opposition. Calling for an end to “head rubbing” whilst simultaneously wanting the game to “toughen up” is astoundingly hypocritical and completely against the spirit of sport.

I’ve zero clue if that’s a moan at my post or you’re in agreement that it’s sterilising the sport?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:16 am 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

hatty wrote:I’m assuming that you’ve never played the game. You do whatever you can to wind up your opponent, to put him off his game and to get under his skin. Yes you can come a cropper occasionally but that tends to come from the player your trying to wind up, not the ref. It’s part of the game and shouldn’t be phased out. We will be banning the celebrating when a knock on occurs from a big hit next.

This, and it's a part of all sports, to varying degrees...

I once spent a whole game trying to wind up David Stephenson... I failed, his team won, and after the game we had a chuckle and a pint....

I should add that we were playing crown green bowls.... I'm not a complete fool.. :)

Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper.

Big Steve wrote:
The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them.

aboveusonlypie...
If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:41 am 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Azul wrote:I’ve zero clue if that’s a moan at my post or you’re in agreement that it’s sterilising the sport?

Apologies I didn’t make it clear!

Agreeing with you completely :thumb:

RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:44 am 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

hatty wrote:I’m assuming that you’ve never played the game. You do whatever you can to wind up your opponent, to put him off his game and to get under his skin. Yes you can come a cropper occasionally but that tends to come from the player your trying to wind up, not the ref. It’s part of the game and shouldn’t be phased out. We will be banning the celebrating when a knock on occurs from a big hit next.

Nail on the head. This is a reflection of the snowflake society we currently have.

RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:14 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Azul wrote:Genuine question, why? Why do we need this out the game? Isn’t it the job of the player who’s made a mistake, to just not react?
It just feels like another way to sterilise they sport, to me

For me it’s just not cricket if you know what I mean. I’m all for a bit of biff, I love it, like most fans when tension boils over and players go head to head.

I don’t like cheap shots, defenders rubbing attackers faces in the floor, that kind of thing. I don’t like Unsportsmanlike conduct. Play it tough & hard but play it fair.

Maybe all of this is from a bygone era but I like to see a bit of respect for both the officials and the opposition.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:26 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Trainman wrote:For me it’s just not cricket if you know what I mean. I’m all for a bit of biff, I love it, like most fans when tension boils over and players go head to head.

I don’t like cheap shots, defenders rubbing attackers faces in the floor, that kind of thing. I don’t like Unsportsmanlike conduct. Play it tough & hard but play it fair.

Maybe all of this is from a bygone era but I like to see a bit of respect for both the officials and the opposition.

Respect goes out of the window as soon as the ref blows his whistle.

1998,2010,2013,2016 & 2018.....I was there

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:44 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

hatty wrote:Respect goes out of the window as soon as the ref blows his whistle.

They can still bash each other to bits but play with respect and in a sportsmanlike manner.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:56 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Trainman wrote:They can still bash each other to bits but play with respect and in a sportsmanlike manner.

Do you mean say sorry after every tackle :)

1998,2010,2013,2016 & 2018.....I was there

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:10 am 
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Phuzzy wrote:The problem is it won't. It'll be forgotten about by next week and we'll probably never see another penalty given for this 'offence'..

^This X100.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:02 am 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Pie_Eyter wrote:No point going on Friday boys and girls. The Saints fans have spoken (on Redvee) They have already won the game apparently. Just need to turn up and play half decent (think i have seen these comments before somewhere) so save yourselves the hard earned dough. The oracle's have spoken.

Greatest squad of players since the'82 Kangaroos.
No matter how much we improve it won't be anywhere near good enough :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:32 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com