WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Who is the Lockers replacement already at the club?

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors Who is the Lockers replacement already at the club?

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Faz would probably be my choice to play 13 at the start of the season because I would like to see Smithies played wider to ease the burden on him and I’d also like to see Greenwood back in the starting line up. We do not have enough strike and go forward in the pack to leave a guy like Greenwood out. He’s not the toughest but he’s always a threat and I think we’re a better side with him in it. I’d use Lockers from the bench and line up-

11-Smithies
12-Greenwood
13-Farrell

14-Lockers
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Smithies is never a 13. Doesn’t carry the ball like a middle and doesn’t have the passing skills to link the play.

Flower can’t be long behind Lockers in retirement or being moved on; same goes for Clubb.

Partington shows no go forward or passing skills; so I’d rule him out.

Josh Woods missed a trick. Should have spent a season bulking to meet the physical demands of a ball playing 13. Was never going to making it as a half; way too slow.

Maybe it’s time to bring Owen Faz home. He’d be a 13 in league.

User avatarMadDogg wrote:
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

100% Warrior wrote:
I’ve said it before several times but the role of #13 is changing. The link between the halves isn’t the role anymore as props and back towers continually take over. I could see anyone of our props/back towers going to #13 but I think at the moment Smithies would be my choice (dependant on how he goes in 2020).

It has changed at most clubs but that doesn't mean we have to go the same way. I think it would be a real shame if we start to look at our loose forward as just another prop, particularly after 25 years of Farrell and O'Loughlin.

User avatarjaws1 wrote:
jaws1 User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

We learned to play without Lockers when he was injured .

100% Warrior wrote:
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

MadDogg wrote:
It has changed at most clubs but that doesn't mean we have to go the same way. I think it would be a real shame if we start to look at our loose forward as just another prop, particularly after 25 years of Farrell and O'Loughlin.

No it doesn’t you’re right but positional/tactical changes at pro level do tend to trickle down into amateur and thus young players coming through will, eventually, learn to play in that style. The days of an inch perfect 15mtr cut out pass from a LF are almost extinct, it’s sad but most forwards these days can provide that halves link.

User avatarpk wrote:
pk User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

I think it'd be daft to move Faz. He is very good at doing what he does in a very clear and defined way. He isn't a ball player and isn't a middle.

Smithies for 13.
I've seen them bomb a quarter final, bottle a semi final, finish as league leaders, but I've still, never, seen the Wire win the league
Doom and gloom, doom and gloom
Bronze RLFANS Member

pk wrote:
I think it'd be daft to move Faz. He is very good at doing what he does in a very clear and defined way. He isn't a ball player and isn't a middle.

Smithies for 13.

More 'daft' to put Smithies there.
sergeant pepper User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Is picking the lesser of two 'daft' options really the best option to take.

Realistically we've got 6/8 months to sort out what we do when Lockers retires. For me the most sensible option would be to see if anyone steps up during the first half of the year, whilst also keeping tabs on who's available from the NRL. If we have to bring someone in then so be it.
20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Bronze RLFANS Member

sergeant pepper wrote:
Is picking the lesser of two 'daft' options really the best option to take.

Realistically we've got 6/8 months to sort out what we do when Lockers retires. For me the most sensible option would be to see if anyone steps up during the first half of the year, whilst also keeping tabs on who's available from the NRL. If we have to bring someone in then so be it.

Don't put square pegs in round holes. Either recruit someone in the 'ball playing mould' or play a prop there and go with 3 props.

Smithies doesn't have either qualities. He's not a ball player and doesn't have the go forward of a prop.

100% Warrior wrote:
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Last Son of Wigan wrote:
Smithies is never a 13. Doesn’t carry the ball like a middle and doesn’t have the passing skills to link the play.

Flower can’t be long behind Lockers in retirement or being moved on; same goes for Clubb.

Partington shows no go forward or passing skills; so I’d rule him out.

Josh Woods missed a trick. Should have spent a season bulking to meet the physical demands of a ball playing 13. Was never going to making it as a half; way too slow.

Maybe it’s time to bring Owen Faz home. He’d be a 13 in league.

I think Smithies possesses some of the skills of a 13. Great in attack, has shown good link up play glimpses, good D and fitness wise he could go the full 80. 2020 is a make or break season for him in the LF sense - as it is for anyone else trying to stake a claim for the shirt. I do however think it’ll probably go to Faz which isn’t a wrong or bad move IMHO.

I agree with Owen Farrell being a league 13 but I just don’t see him coming back. England captain, earning 000’s more than he’ll ever earn in league. I can’t see it happening.
PreviousNext