Dec 10 200815 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Mar 20 08:2924th Dec 19 16:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: French : Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:10 pm  
100% Warrior wrote:
Is it a case of us not playing in a style to suit Zak or having the players that can work in that kind of system rather than Zak losing his attacking prowess? I think it’s probably a bit of both.

I think your bang on with French starting at 6. If he wasn’t going to play there he wouldn’t have been given the shirt. I also don’t think he’ll be moved to FB but Lam will stick it out with him at 6. I am concerned at him playing 6, I wasn’t convinced at all last season when he played there but equally we have to remember he didn’t know our style or set up too well. Jury is still out for me on French at HB.

Regards to Lam, I don’t agree nor disagree at the moment. Last season I was on the “Lam out” bandwagon. I’ve climbed off for the time being just because I’m intrigued to see where this team goes next season. The players are there to win things IMO, it comes down to coaching and tactics now.

Zak barely broke the line all season. I think he’s body shape and general speed has changed. He’s not the same as he used to be. He was a great broken play runner; even when he had opportunities from broken play he didn’t show what he used to have.

This isn’t uncommon. Players lose their pace and movement. Especially with absences etc. I think it’s happened to Zak.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 10 200815 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: French : Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:34 pm  
Lam seems to have signed French without a plan or designated position for him; which isn’t good; especially when there’s still holes in the team which need players; namely a play making half.

We have Hardaker at fb. I’ve pointed out my concerns with Zak, but he’s our FB.
The idea of playing French at 6 running off Hastings could work. But let’s be honest it’s a massive risk to take. Especially when Lam already confirmed he doesn’t know where to play French which suggests the idea of pairing French off Hastings wasn’t his plan from the get-go.

French was tried at 6 as a playmaker at the end of last season; it didn’t work at all. Furthermore it doesn’t play to French’s strengths as a player; another flag regarding Lams coaching.

I honestly don’t think Lam knows what he’s doing. Nothing from last season or what I’ve heard about his plans for 2020 make me think otherwise.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach939No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 14 200815 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Oct 23 12:208th May 22 05:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: French : Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:50 pm  
I think with a full preseason with the team and hb partner Hastings, he could be our number 6.

We can't use the 1 or 2 games we saw him chucked in to cover at half back as a fair judgement.

Leave Hastings at first receiver, and play French on the outside with a bit of space. He's so quick I think we'll see him leave many defenders flat footed whether it be through a step and a dart through a gap or fainting to do so and playing in our centres/sr's.

Wherever he plays, he's exciting to watch and love that he's at the club.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 10 200815 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: French : Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:02 pm  
ArcticGorilla wrote:
I think with a full preseason with the team and hb partner Hastings, he could be our number 6.

We can't use the 1 or 2 games we saw him chucked in to cover at half back as a fair judgement.

Leave Hastings at first receiver, and play French on the outside with a bit of space. He's so quick I think we'll see him leave many defenders flat footed whether it be through a step and a dart through a gap or fainting to do so and playing in our centres/sr's.

Wherever he plays, he's exciting to watch and love that he's at the club.

Big ask though to be realistic. Essentially you’re expecting French to play 6 in a brand new system with a brand new 7. And of course with Lam admitting he doesn’t know where to play French; such adjustments weren’t planned.

On one hand I’m excited by the players coming in. But I can’t ignore how part of me sees an iceberg coming.

Why?
I’ve watched George Burgess play last season. I don’t know if we’re getting the monster we expect.
Mitch Clark didn’t stand out at all in a lower league.
We’re expecting French to play 6 in a brand new ‘halves playing together’ system; alongside a new signing. The team hasn’t played that system since I can remember.
Our halves we’re very dependent on a FB who’s a second receiver. We don’t have that in Zak.
Zaks attack has gone. I’m sorry. But it has. It’s the elephant in the room.
I don’t think Lam has a clue.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach939No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 14 200815 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: French : Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:04 pm  
Last Son of Wigan wrote:
Lam seems to have signed French without a plan or designated position for him; which isn’t good; especially when there’s still holes in the team which need players; namely a play making half.

We have Hardaker at fb. I’ve pointed out my concerns with Zak, but he’s our FB.
The idea of playing French at 6 running off Hastings could work. But let’s be honest it’s a massive risk to take. Especially when Lam already confirmed he doesn’t know where to play French which suggests the idea of pairing French off Hastings wasn’t his plan from the get-go.

French was tried at 6 as a playmaker at the end of last season; it didn’t work at all. Furthermore it doesn’t play to French’s strengths as a player; another flag regarding Lams coaching.

I honestly don’t think Lam knows what he’s doing. Nothing from last season or what I’ve heard about his plans for 2020 make me think otherwise.

I don't think it's fair to write him off at 6, he was being asked to lead an underperforming team around after being at the club for a matter of weeks.

Although I to share your doubts of Lam. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt as I feel he was somewhat dealt a dud hand. However my takes from post game interviews and his general ora is not one of a true leader. Prove me wrong Lammy.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 10 200815 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: French : Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:28 am  
ArcticGorilla wrote:
I don't think it's fair to write him off at 6, he was being asked to lead an underperforming team around after being at the club for a matter of weeks.

Although I to share your doubts of Lam. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt as I feel he was somewhat dealt a dud hand. However my takes from post game interviews and his general ora is not one of a true leader. Prove me wrong Lammy.

I’m not writing him off. I’m sticking to facts...
-French isn’t a playmaker. Never has been. So to play him as a first receiver pivot wasn’t fair on him.
-Asking French to play as a second receiver 6 off Hastings in a system the team hasn’t play in for decades is a big ask. Surely anyone can see that.
-honest to god. Another poster claiming Lam inherited a dud hand when in reality he inherited a team of current and past internationals with a wealth of experience in big games. Many of which have already won major silverware in SL.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach939No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 14 200815 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: French : Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:06 am  
Last Son of Wigan wrote:
I’m not writing him off. I’m sticking to facts...
-French isn’t a playmaker. Never has been. So to play him as a first receiver pivot wasn’t fair on him.
-Asking French to play as a second receiver 6 off Hastings in a system the team hasn’t play in for decades is a big ask. Surely anyone can see that.
-honest to god. Another poster claiming Lam inherited a dud hand when in reality he inherited a team of current and past internationals with a wealth of experience in big games. Many of which have already won major silverware in SL.

Jeeees! So Hardaker's passed it, Our new signings are underwhelming, French doesn't have a position and Lam should be sacked. :DEPRESSED:

Do you at least like the new kit?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 10 200815 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: French : Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:24 am  
ArcticGorilla wrote:
Jeeees! So Hardaker's passed it, Our new signings are underwhelming, French doesn't have a position and Lam should be sacked. :DEPRESSED:

Do you at least like the new kit?

I actually do :D

I hope I'm wrong, but sometimes, even on here, you have to be honest.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2795No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20 201113 years288th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Nov 23 17:244th Nov 23 09:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: French : Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:00 am  
I wish some people would see last season for what it was. We had a new (interim) coach coming in after years under the same regime. We had more off field issues than most club have in a decade. We had an unbelievably bad run of injuries.
Despite all that, we were able to unearth a few gems from the reserves, finish 2nd in the league and were 80 minutes away from a grand final. We’ve signed the current man of steel and a very experienced NRL / International prop who adds a huge amount of size to our pack. We’ve also signed in positions where we needed to strengthen.
Our season wasn’t great, but I’m prepared to accept that there were mitigating factors and I can’t wait for next season to start. I also quite like the new kit but I’m just a happy clapper!
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29263
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 15:0618th Apr 24 16:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: French : Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:11 am  
Lam may be saying he’s not sure where players will play but there’s no doubt he’ll have a fair idea. I doubt he’ll just throw 17 names up in the air come Wire and run with the order he picks them up in. The guy isn’t going to want to publicly state his teams nailed down and put a pin in 15 other lads hopes of a place in the Wire game. He’s said already he is aware of the vast majority of his team but has said a couple of places are open. That is surely good management? Dangle that carrot to them all to go and rip it up in pre season. There’s guys like Jack Wells, Navarette, Harry Smith etc who currently you’d think may sit outside Lams team for that first game but if they smash it in the friendlies then things can change.
PreviousNext