OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Nov 22 17:5710th Aug 20 13:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Clark : Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:51 am  
MattyB wrote:
OK. I accept that.

In his defence I would say we have done extremely well over the last fifteen years with our youth production line. In fact I would state that it's the backbone of our success since IL came on board.

Now granted not EVERY young kid that has come through has made it to the very top. But our academy have won almost every title over the last ten years, the cream of the youth have helped us win several SL titles and a WCC title as well. Some have left (can't keep them all) and carved out successful 'mostly' careers elsewhere be in RL or RU (Chris Ashton still swandiving over the line these days)? Plus Owen Farrell can thank his early start to our club as well.

Yes now and again we have a dud but overall we ain't done bad. We could be worse we could be Wire or Hull, two clubs who spend big on young players from other areas. Even Leeds (who traditionally match us for a strong production line of talented youth are stuttering a bit these days).

Of everything that's happened good and bad since DW and Uncle Mo left I would say our academy products has been our greatest success and we are looked upon with green eyed envy from every club in the league year on year.

I dont deny that. My point was solely that i no longer get my hopes up with Rogues predictions for young players. Id rather wait until they make the step up and use my own judgement.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain571No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 11 20186 years309th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Mar 24 06:328th Nov 21 17:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Clark : Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:01 am  
Ruddy Duck wrote:
Similar to what happened to Corey Hall.

Played at centre in the Academy team for most of the season and then dropped for the end of season games including the Semi Finals and Final for a new player called Holt (any connection to Holt's Injury Update which appeared around the same time).

Left the club, signed by Leeds and now part of their first team squad and just been selected for the England Academy Performance Squad.

Now wonder the lad left the club after being treated like that!

As I understood the issue he is a Leeds lad who wanted to move closer to home? Having watched him several times there is no doubting his qualities as a player, be interesting to see how he develops over there now?
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain571No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 11 20186 years309th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Clark : Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:03 am  
[Gareth] wrote:
I think it was more of his demands. Thought he could get better elsewhere, no-one offered it to him, went back to Wakey

I could be very wrong about that though

you are not wrong.
Ruddy Duck 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years318th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Clark : Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:59 am  
JonnyBroad wrote:
As I understood the issue he is a Leeds lad who wanted to move closer to home? Having watched him several times there is no doubting his qualities as a player, be interesting to see how he develops over there now?

Wanting to be nearer home had nothing to do with it. He obviously took exception to the way he was treated after playing for most of the season and then had to make way for a newcomer who was no better.

Looks like Leeds and Dave Elliot see more in him than Wigan.

Seems to be a regular thing how some young players are treated at Wigan. Callum Green, Samy Kibula, Kyle Shelford and others, all rejected by Wigan, but snapped up by Warrington.

And you have got to question why we missed out on signing quality Wigan lads like Stephan Ratchford and Jack Welsby?
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29262
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 21:4917th Apr 24 16:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Clark : Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:09 am  
I thought Corey Hall was at Leeds before the end of the season last year? I could be wrong but I don’t recall him being ‘dropped’ for semis and finals by Wigan, as he wasn’t at the club anymore.

As for Kibula and Green, it’s not hurt us so far and I don’t see them turning out for anyone’s first team yet. Kyle Shelford was nowhere near good enough sadly and went to Swinton before signing kart time at Wire (to play reserves no doubt) In regards to Ratchford and Welsby, if we’ve missed out on two players who’s careers started ten years apart, we’re not doing too bad. I’d look at Ratchfords career and say he’s probably missed out on us, rather than the other way round. Jack Welsby looks a good player but it’s early days and you can’t sign them all as they say.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain571No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 11 20186 years309th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Clark : Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:32 am  
Ruddy Duck wrote:
Wanting to be nearer home had nothing to do with it. He obviously took exception to the way he was treated after playing for most of the season and then had to make way for a newcomer who was no better.

Seems to be a regular thing how some young players are treated at Wigan. Callum Green, Samy Kibula, Kyle Shelford and others, all rejected by Wigan, but snapped up by Warrington.

And you have got to question why we missed out on signing quality Wigan lads like Stephan Ratchford and Jack Welsby?

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/leeds-rh ... ter-22942/
Ruddy Duck wrote:

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/leeds-rh ... ter-22942/
RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 201311 years91st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Sep 23 17:4931st Aug 23 13:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Clark : Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:42 am  
Our youth policy is dreadful. We should pack our academy in.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1426No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 27 201311 years317th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Nov 22 21:4021st Sep 22 16:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Clark : Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:45 am  
Ruddy Duck wrote:

Not wanting to re open the Samy Kibula debate but he would still not be in line for a first team place with us this season and despite his undoubted talents he would have moved down the pecking order. It is good to see that he has lost some of the puppy fat and I hope that he does well at Wire. Of the others Shelford signing for them is a strange one, I read that he was signed specifically for the reserves. In general the lads that we have let go have not gone on to be world beaters but that is the nature of the game because the odd one will go on to do something. Do you remember Rob Lever who had been GB captain when we let him go? Good lads at 19 are often not the best at 21. We have now signed two ex players back, one of which left as a winger and returned as a prop, sometimes a player has to step out of the known environment if they are to reach their potential.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years278th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Apr 24 06:4428th Mar 24 11:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid.
Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal.
Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.

Re: Clark : Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:49 am  
Ruddy Duck wrote:

I’ve seen it first hand, the players they deem not good enough are treated poorly, very poorly. I know a lad who followed Wigan home and away, loved the club, good player too but binned off and treated poorly because he had a so called ‘attitude’. I never experienced anything but a very good attitude from him. But he’s now been snapped up by another SL club and is on loan to a Championship side, good luck to him aswell I hope he makes it.

I always thought Kibula to be a pudding to be honest, Shelford was a decent player just a bit small, could he have been converted to a 9? I thought Callum Green was a decent player.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 201311 years91st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Sep 23 17:4931st Aug 23 13:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Clark : Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:16 am  
So if the other SL club loaned him out to a Championship club, what did you suggest we do with him? We can't hold on to every single player. Sadly, you have to make big calls and let some go. I'm not suggesting this happened with your player, but that can lead to a change in a players attitude especially at a young age if they believe they will make it and it all ends in a rejection.
PreviousNext