WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Reserves, DR or loan?
Reserves, DR or loan?
Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:27 pm
Posted by Levrier on Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:27 pm
Levrier Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 271
Rep Position: th / 78,109

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 am
Posts: 1203
I have been watching the reserves this season and it is noticeable that the standard is variable. Given that we have a lot of good young forwards I was wondering who would benefit most from the various grades on offer below SL first team. Looking at young Pierce-Paul you can see the talent but would he benefit yet from being mashed up weekly by the bruisers in the Championship? (probably not yet). Ben Kilner has already been around the block at that level and looks nearly ready to step up so how do you keep him progressing? I am assuming that The Championship is a higher grade than reserves.
Re: Reserves, DR or loan?
Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:30 pm
Posted by Egg Chasing on Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:30 pm
Egg Chasing Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 412
Rep Position: th / 78,109

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 1128
Location: Watching Rugby League
Is the reserves meant to be a higher standard than dual reg?
Re: Reserves, DR or loan?
Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:26 pm
Posted by Pieman on Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:26 pm
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 399
Rep Position: th / 78,109

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:34 pm
Posts: 3438
Location: Atherton
Egg Chasing wrote:
Is the reserves meant to be a higher standard than dual reg?


was meant to be but not sure with some SL clubs still adopting dual reg so sending their fringe out will decrease the reserves
Re: Reserves, DR or loan?
Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:20 pm
Posted by Levrier on Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:20 pm
Levrier Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 271
Rep Position: th / 78,109

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 am
Posts: 1203
Pieman wrote:
was meant to be but not sure with some SL clubs still adopting dual reg so sending their fringe out will decrease the reserves

At one point we used to send lads down to league 1 but that often seemed like a death knell. There are some good squads in The Championship and we might benefit from that. I thought that the reserves was all about controlling the development of our own players but I can see that some would benefit from playing for a few weeks with older pros.
Re: Reserves, DR or loan?
Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:54 pm
Posted by Grimmy on Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:54 pm
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 487
Rep Position: th / 78,109

Quiz Score: 248

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 13784
Pieman wrote:
was meant to be but not sure with some SL clubs still adopting dual reg so sending their fringe out will decrease the reserves

Wigan reserves are equivalent to bottom of Championship/top of League 1 IMO.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Reserves, DR or loan?
Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:25 pm
Posted by Pieman on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:25 pm
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 399
Rep Position: th / 78,109

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:34 pm
Posts: 3438
Location: Atherton
Grimmy wrote:
Wigan reserves are equivalent to bottom of Championship/top of League 1 IMO.


gave Leigh a good game at the start of the year and they are probably the best team in the championship now
Re: Reserves, DR or loan?
Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:42 pm
Posted by Grimmy on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:42 pm
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 487
Rep Position: th / 78,109

Quiz Score: 248

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 13784
Pieman wrote:
gave Leigh a good game at the start of the year and they are probably the best team in the championship now

Realistically that side was a lot stronger than any reserves side we'll put out all year. J.Burgess, Manfredi, Smith, Bullock, Clark, Greenwood and Havard all started, and we still lost. How many of them will play reserves this weekend, two? On a good day our reserves may be more like a mid-table Championship side, but over the course of the season I think bottom of Champ/top of League 1 is a fairer reflection. Our normal reserves side isn't at the same standard as London/Tolouse/Leigh/Fev first team.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Reserves, DR or loan?
Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:46 pm
Posted by Pieman on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:46 pm
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 399
Rep Position: th / 78,109

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:34 pm
Posts: 3438
Location: Atherton
Grimmy wrote:
Realistically that side was a lot stronger than any reserves side we'll put out all year. J.Burgess, Manfredi, Smith, Bullock, Clark, Greenwood and Havard all started, and we still lost. How many of them will play reserves this weekend, two? On a good day our reserves may be more like a mid-table Championship side, but over the course of the season I think bottom of Champ/top of League 1 is a fairer reflection. Our normal reserves side isn't at the same standard as London/Tolouse/Leigh/Fev first team.


5 of them played the first game, others came in due to injury
Re: Reserves, DR or loan?
Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:58 pm
Posted by NSW on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:58 pm
NSW User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 242
Rep Position: th / 78,109

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:12 pm
Posts: 2134
Unrated benefit of Reserves is when determine, style of player, what position, how many minutes etc

Hypothetical examples, Hankinson can be tried out at right and left centre.

Mitch Clark can be given long minutes to improve fitness etc

You’re at the mercy of other clubs who need short term results with the other methods.
RICHARDS IS SUPERMAN!!!!

Wire_91 wrote:its your first final in about 8 years and now you ravin and rantin about it F**k off, and ill be going old trafford tomoz cheering on the saints and ill be writing on this forum givin you loads of shi* when your drying you eyes and the wire fan will be here handing out the tissues in the thousands, thats if you do take that many fans cause now it looks like its your fans who have jumped on the band wagon now your in a final, this time last year there was only 1000 people in the jjb and now its fillin up cause youve won the league hahaha proper true supporters you are
Re: Reserves, DR or loan?
Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:03 am
Posted by Grimmy on Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:03 am
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 487
Rep Position: th / 78,109

Quiz Score: 248

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 13784
Pieman wrote:
5 of them played the first game, others came in due to injury

Yep, that's what happens with reserves, hence the quality will fluctuate a lot as I already wrote. NSW has just nailed the benefits of reserves, plus obviously it keeps the lads together.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChrisA, Dunkirk Spirit, Egg Chasing, Glyno65, Google Adsense [Bot], Grimmy, jonh, JonnyBroad, Jukesays, KingRoss11, MadDogg, NickyKiss, Pieman, RedWarrior32, Rogues Gallery, Ruddy Duck, S_Riley, sergeant pepper, The Devil's Advocate, Trainman and 165 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
5,046,23678478,1094,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
 Full Time (Hover Score) 
NRL
GOLD COAST
10-40
CRONULLA
TODAY 08:30
NRL
NZ WARRIORS
v
BRISBANE
TODAY 10:35
NRL
WESTS TIGERS
v
PENRITH
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)