Club Coach7733
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years81st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 21:4119th Apr 24 11:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Signature
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!

"The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth."

Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club

Re: 98 season : Tue May 12, 2020 9:40 am  
Egg Chasing wrote:
The ground would now belong to Wigan Athletic though :shock:

Not necessarily
Just because that's how it played out at the JJB/DW doesn't mean that's how it would have played out at Central park?
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32309
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 17 200222 years162nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 14:474th Apr 24 15:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row

Re: 98 season : Tue May 12, 2020 9:43 am  
MR FRISK wrote:
Wigan would still be playing at CP if the board would have taken the offer Whelan gave to them :READING:

No they wouldn't. Whelan offered around £6 million and he knew the value was double that, which is what Robinson got. He would have sold it and still moved to Robin Park, he knew what the cost of upgrading Central Park would be from the cost of building the Whitbread/Boston stand which went way over budget. Whelans modus operandi was always buy low sell high.
There were no grants for upgrading stadia but a new build was different.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 201311 years89th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Sep 23 17:4931st Aug 23 13:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 98 season : Tue May 12, 2020 10:20 am  
Jukesays wrote:
Not necessarily
Just because that's how it played out at the JJB/DW doesn't mean that's how it would have played out at Central park?

True, but there's a bloody good chance. One thing that probably would have occured is the moving of games to other venues (although the pitch would probably have been in better nick)
Ruddy Duck 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years318th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 98 season : Tue May 12, 2020 10:41 am  
Rogues Gallery wrote:
No they wouldn't. Whelan offered around £6 million and he knew the value was double that, which is what Robinson got. He would have sold it and still moved to Robin Park, he knew what the cost of upgrading Central Park would be from the cost of building the Whitbread/Boston stand which went way over budget. Whelans modus operandi was always buy low sell high.
There were no grants for upgrading stadia but a new build was different.

Correct and Whelan never had any intention of playing at Central Park as he knew that the Council wanted the club to be away from near the town centre and a move to Robin Park was always on the cards as it was promoted by himself at a meeting held at the Riverside Club in 1994.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7733
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years81st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

Re: 98 season : Tue May 12, 2020 11:01 am  
Ruddy Duck wrote:
Correct and Whelan never had any intention of playing at Central Park as he knew that the Council wanted the club to be away from near the town centre and a move to Robin Park was always on the cards as it was promoted by himself at a meeting held at the Riverside Club in 1994.

That's your opinion - and one I wouldn't disagree with too much
However
We'll never know for certain will we?

And after the Shareholders vote and debenture stock Fiasco everything else was irrelevant.

Do you accept though that Monie would not have been back at the club if it weren't for Whelan?
RankPostsTeam
International Star1081
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 26 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Nov 22 17:5710th Aug 20 13:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 98 season : Tue May 12, 2020 9:41 pm  
Jukesays wrote:
However

And after the Shareholders vote and debenture stock Fiasco everything else was irrelevant.

Do you accept though that Monie would not have been back at the club if it weren't for Whelan?

I thought it was Mike Nolan's idea to bring Monie back? He invited him to a meeting at his home near Haydock Park racecourse and offered him the job in late 97. Nolan stood down mid 98 over disagreements with Whelan regarding signings for 97 and idiot Peter Norbury the new chairman sacked Monie in 99 after about 8 games. It was also Norbury that resulted in Robbie McCormack leaving after one year. He wanted to stay but Norbury offered him much less money which he refused and Monie had a bust up with Norbury over it resulting in Norbury finally agreeing to an improved offer but when Monie put it to McCormack, he refused saying he felt insulted.

When Monie first came in at the end of the 97 season, he said the club was in a right mess and unrecognisable from the club he left a few years earlier. I imagine Eric Hughes played a huge part in the drop in standards. What on Earth was we thinking giving him the head coaches job?
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7733
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years81st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: 98 season : Tue May 12, 2020 10:17 pm  
The_Enforcer wrote:
I thought it was Mike Nolan's idea to bring Monie back? He invited him to a meeting at his home near Haydock Park racecourse and offered him the job in late 97. Nolan stood down mid 98 over disagreements with Whelan regarding signings for 97 and idiot Peter Norbury the new chairman sacked Monie in 99 after about 8 games. It was also Norbury that resulted in Robbie McCormack leaving after one year. He wanted to stay but Norbury offered him much less money which he refused and Monie had a bust up with Norbury over it resulting in Norbury finally agreeing to an improved offer but when Monie put it to McCormack, he refused saying he felt insulted.

When Monie first came in at the end of the 97 season, he said the club was in a right mess and unrecognisable from the club he left a few years earlier. I imagine Eric Hughes played a huge part in the drop in standards. What on Earth was we thinking giving him the head coaches job?

When he had those conversations who was the owner?
We all know that Whelan was ultimately in charge and although Mo for example came back late 99 until 2007 it was Whelan who as the owner was ultimately in charge.

Monie only came back because of Whelan, he would never have come back under Robinson. That's the point I was making

You cant blame Norbury as Whelans stooge for sacking Monie, when it was another one of Whelans stooges that got him to come in the first place.

As for the club being a complete shambles, he was right, but dont blame Eric Hughes. He was only part of the issue. Who appointed him? Who sacked West at the wrong time? Who employed Dorohay? Who continued to spend money on many numerous signings that, in which ever way you look at it from 94/95 ish onwards we didnt have the money to actually buy.
And that's before I go into the many other issues financially and legally we found ourselves in 96/97 that ultimately led to Whelans takeover.

I'm no Whelan fan by a long way, and Ian Leneghan beats them both hands down. But Robinson made some terrible decisions and was a massive part of the reason the club was in a shambles
Ruddy Duck 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years318th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 98 season : Wed May 13, 2020 8:21 am  
Jukesays wrote:
However

My comment about the Council wanting the club away from near the town centre was not a opinion, but a fact confirmed to me at the time by a leading Councillor.

As for John Monie, he was indeed made Coach by Whelan, but unlike the time he first came to the club, he did not get the same financial support from Whelan for better quality players that he had from the gang of four when they ran the club.

Never tightfisted though, where his beloved Latic's was concerned!
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7733
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years81st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: 98 season : Wed May 13, 2020 1:24 pm  
Ruddy Duck wrote:
My comment about the Council wanting the club away from near the town centre was not a opinion, but a fact confirmed to me at the time by a leading Councillor.

As for John Monie, he was indeed made Coach by Whelan, but unlike the time he first came to the club, he did not get the same financial support from Whelan for better quality players that he had from the gang of four when they ran the club.

Never tightfisted though, where his beloved Latic's was concerned!

Why you changing the subject again?
I only said that originally that Monie wouldn't have been here if it wasn't for Whelan (I don't like him either)
But we can hardly criticise the Whelan's Stooge that sacked him when it was only because another one of Whelan's Stooges got him to come in the first place.

As for tight fisted, as much as I don't like him he inherited/purchased a Poop Storm from Robinson
He did invest in Moore/Bell/Betts/Maestrov etc.
We managed to keep it in place year 1 (98) but when those contracts kicked in that Robinson/Connolly (Not sure about Rads?) had signed with the ARL and we paid over the odds to get them back then we had to lose certain players.
Paul went (Although I do think he wanted to go anyway)
And the reinvestment in 99 wasn't "Great" although I don't think it was too bad (Florimo etc.)
And I'm pretty sure the investment in Newton/Peters/Renouf/Dallas/Johns/Lam/Furner etc. wasn't too bad? Plus the retention of Connolly/Farrell/Rads/Betts etc.

But at a time when the cap was really kicking in the top players took too much of the cap space and left little for the rest
This was where the cap was mismanaged over the next 4/5 years and led to 2005/6/7 debacle
RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 201311 years89th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Sep 23 17:4931st Aug 23 13:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 98 season : Wed May 13, 2020 1:27 pm  
Neither Whelan nor Lindsay could manage the cap. They just expected to throw money about and bring back the glory days.

They weren't too far away with the number of finals we competed in TBH.
PreviousNext