WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Clubb
Re: Clubb Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:39 pm  

User avatarFIOS wrote:
FIOS User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

I think he would have really struggled with the new rules anyway, the games at the weekend were a lot faster and he could only manage ten minute stints previously. I think some of the comments on this thread are harsh, but true. When he first signed I was disappointed With the signing but have been pleasantly surprised with him. He turned out to be a great signing.
Please support Joining Jack and run the Wigan 10k on 6th September 2015. Details at //www.wigan10k.co.uk
Re: Clubb Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:44 pm  

JonnyBroad wrote:
JonnyBroad Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

NickyKiss wrote:
When he gets his head straight he can still add something but he would be 7th choice prop at best for me, so it’s not a huge blow and as pointed out it’s one less obstacle to progress for guys like Havard and Byrne because I don’t think he’d be Lams 7th choice. The two year contract extension always seemed at the very least a year too many and this only adds to that feeling.

What can he add when fit?
Re: Clubb Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:46 pm  

JonnyBroad wrote:
JonnyBroad Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

FIOS wrote:
I think he would have really struggled with the new rules anyway, the games at the weekend were a lot faster and he could only manage ten minute stints previously. I think some of the comments on this thread are harsh, but true. When he first signed I was disappointed With the signing but have been pleasantly surprised with him. He turned out to be a great signing.

He struggled with the old traditional rules of carrying the ball and tackling. At least the opposition kickers now don't need worry about being attacked after the ball has gone now.
Re: Clubb Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:32 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

JonnyBroad wrote:
What can he add when fit?

He can play properly, he proved that for a spell of around a month last season when it was basically him and a few junior props. It was around the time he scored his try at Leeds away from memory. He seemed to switch in to simply running the ball hard and defending properly and left the stupidity to one side. Admittedly he slipped back in to his old ways pretty quickly and I don’t disagree that 90% of the time he’s not worth a place.

*Edit*

Just checked some stats around that time and his numbers were poles apart from the dross he served up at the start of this season.

HKR-Away (Flower went off injured early and it was after this he stood up and played properly for a few weeks)

32 Tackles
11 Carries
92 metres

Leeds-Away

29 tackles
13 Carries
114 metres

Salford-Home

25 Tackles
11 Carries
75 metres

It isn’t Luke Thompson/Liam Watts but compare that spell to Wire at home this season (9 tackles, 3 carries and 15 metres), Cas away ( 12 tackles, 5 carries and 28 metres) and Toronto at home (16 tackles, 8 carries and 47 metres) and it was a marathon effort from the big fella. Those numbers last year are more than acceptable from a prop who shares his minutes but he picked up yet another injury soon after and then sips back to type as soon as he’s back.
Re: Clubb Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:11 pm  

User avatarjonh wrote:
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Sad news and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Obviously he had his issues but one thing he clearly brings is leadership and aggression.

I do worry without him which Prop is going to step up and give the opposition play makers a cheeky slap every now and again, get in their faces and play the intimidator card.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Re: Clubb Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:31 am  

Ruddy Duck wrote:
Ruddy Duck Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Might explain the rumoured interest in Singleton!

As for Cubb, I seem to recall that when he was out for long while with a injury, supporters were saying how much he was missed from the squad.

Been a good clubman as far as I am concern and does not deserve some of the comments that some supporters are saying about him!

I wish him all the best.
Re: Clubb Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:18 am  

100% Warrior wrote:
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

It is in bad taste to say it’s good news but I don’t know how it could otherwise be dressed up. He wasn’t good enough to begin with and this just opens up the door for others to step up to the plate and cement their place in the team.

With his neck injuries, is it really wise for him to continue playing?
Re: Clubb Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:33 am  
The Whiffy Kipper User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Somebody at the clubb needs to talk him into retirement, It's pretty obvious to many that he hasn't been SL standard for a while
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.
Re: Clubb Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:30 am  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Ruddy Duck wrote:
Might explain the rumoured interest in Singleton!

As for Cubb, I seem to recall that when he was out for long while with a injury, supporters were saying how much he was missed from the squad.

Been a good clubman as far as I am concern and does not deserve some of the comments that some supporters are saying about him!

I wish him all the best.

I agree. It isn’t his fault the club gave him a two year deal. He came here in 2014 and has in the main been a good player for us. He’s suffered some serious injuries and Illness in his time here but over the years I’ve enjoyed watching him. These last couple of seasons have probably been years we realistically shouldn’t have given him but before that he’s played a part in the side winning a few trophies and is clearly a bloke the squad look up to.

The issue really is that his best days are behind him and I don’t think the club were ruthless enough in their decision making.
Re: Clubb Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:39 am  

User avatarMattyB wrote:
MattyB User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

The Whiffy Kipper wrote:
Somebody at the clubb needs to talk him into retirement, It's pretty obvious to many that he hasn't been SL standard for a while

If you signed a two year fixed term contract at work last year would you appreciate your bosses asking you to retire? Especially under the current circumstances (high unemployment likely for the next few years). No you'd probably see your contract out till the end, unless you get paid off.
WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA

WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017

SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016 & 2018

CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011 & 2013

LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010 & 2012

ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 & 2019

WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018

BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012

CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012

PreviousNext