WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Academy Under/Overachievers

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors Academy Under/Overachievers

Re: Academy Under/Overachievers Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:43 am  

CobraCraig wrote:
CobraCraig Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

NickyKiss wrote:
If we’re talking people over achieving from academy to first team then I wouldn’t put Marshall or Powell in that category as both were fine academy players. I was amazed when we released Marshall tbh after watching him in a good few academy games. I was chuffed when things worked out as they did.

In recent times I’d probably put Partington on the list of players achieving more than I expected at first team level. He’s never been a dominant metre maker, so I wondered if he could progress but he’s bringing loads of other things to the party and I do think he’s improving that metre making side of his game.

As for an under achiever I think Thornley is a decent shout as is Hampshire. Another player I loved watching in the academy who has had a decent career but hasn’t done as much as I thought he could would be Matty Russell. I thought he could become a really top level fullback but his game was found out a little in the first team and he got shunted to the wing.

Great shouts with Thornley and Russell.
Re: Academy Under/Overachievers Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:52 am  

CobraCraig wrote:
CobraCraig Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

BoredWiganer wrote:
I have watched Kibula a number of times in the academy and i have to agree, he was missing that bit of dog in him especially for a guy of his size. He has brilliant hands though and he has the strength to back it up If he can bring that edge to his game aswell he could be a seriously good 13.

One thing that sticks out for me on Kibula is when i was watching an academy game vs. Leeds coached by Rob Burrow and they knew kibula was missing that bite to his game. We was stood near rob and he was calling out Kibula the whole game, calling out "bullseye 15" (can't remember the exact shirt number) to the Leeds players, basically saying target Kibula. If leeds knew to do this to him, other teams will aswell and it will get passed onto the first team to target him in particular and he will crack.

Saying that wigan nilled leeds and kibula actually had a good game throwing some brilliant passes, all the potential in the world and i hope it works out for him.

I would do the same in attack too against him, I’m not sure whether it was tactical from the coaches to keep him fresh but he really does try and avoid tackling. Fitness is something that he can improve on and aggression is also something that could come in time too, he’s not really needed it in junior rugby.
I think he may come into his own further down the line in his mid twenties, at the moment he’s stuck between 2 things, he’s a monster of a lad who probably doesn’t play to his size but he’s also a brilliant ball handler but his size and fitness hold him back from playing at 13 or even possibly as a centre if he lost a lot of weight. I understand fully why Wigan let him go and at the same time why Warrington picked him up, be interesting to see how his career pans out.
Re: Academy Under/Overachievers Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:25 pm  

User avatarcadoo wrote:
cadoo User avatar
100% League Network Subsite
100% League Network Subsite

Nick Stanton, Liam Carberry, Ben Davies - few names that come to mind that had good write ups about them on here. Joe Mellor too. Jack Murphy what ever happened to him? If I recall he had one game against Bradford at home (think we lost) but he scored a belter of a try. Thought he had something but don't recall him playing again.
Rugby Union: When entertainment just isn't your thing.
Re: Academy Under/Overachievers Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:01 pm  

User avatarpost wrote:
post User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Under Achiever - Daryl Lacey

Over Achiever - Shaun Edwards
Future Wigan/Youngish player Wishlist - Jack Walker, Nick Cotric, Kotoni Staggs, Cade Cust, Jayden Brailey, Jarrod Wallace, Jack Williams,, Cameron Murray, Christian Welch, Danny Walker.
Re: Academy Under/Overachievers Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:30 pm  

Egg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

cadoo wrote:
Nick Stanton, Liam Carberry, Ben Davies - few names that come to mind that had good write ups about them on here. Joe Mellor too. Jack Murphy what ever happened to him? If I recall he had one game against Bradford at home (think we lost) but he scored a belter of a try. Thought he had something but don't recall him playing again.

Murphy played in the playoffs against Leeds and dropped a late bomb
Re: Academy Under/Overachievers Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:32 pm  

User avatarjonh wrote:
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

CobraCraig wrote:
I would do the same in attack too against him, I’m not sure whether it was tactical from the coaches to keep him fresh but he really does try and avoid tackling. Fitness is something that he can improve on and aggression is also something that could come in time too, he’s not really needed it in junior rugby.
I think he may come into his own further down the line in his mid twenties, at the moment he’s stuck between 2 things, he’s a monster of a lad who probably doesn’t play to his size but he’s also a brilliant ball handler but his size and fitness hold him back from playing at 13 or even possibly as a centre if he lost a lot of weight. I understand fully why Wigan let him go and at the same time why Warrington picked him up, be interesting to see how his career pans out.

I just don’t see Kibula playing consistently at the top level.

He lacks the athleticism.

Size can hide a lot of flaws as a prospect but a lack of athleticism will always get you found out at first team level.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Re: Academy Under/Overachievers Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:42 pm  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Egg Chasing wrote:
Murphy played in the playoffs against Leeds and dropped a late bomb

He was chucked in late due to a last minute injury to Sam Tomkins. Had only played one first team game before it. I think many of us were surprised they didn't put Richards back there instead. Hit him hard mentally the dropped bomb, the club didn't really make sure he was alright after.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Academy Under/Overachievers Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:00 pm  

Egg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Grimmy wrote:
He was chucked in late due to a last minute injury to Sam Tomkins. Had only played one first team game before it. I think many of us were surprised they didn't put Richards back there instead. Hit him hard mentally the dropped bomb, the club didn't really make sure he was alright after.

Wane's faith in youth.

He's all fine if Brett Finch doesn't have a brain fart though as I've said before.
Re: Academy Under/Overachievers Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:09 pm  

User avatarjonh wrote:
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Egg Chasing wrote:
Wane's faith in youth.

He's all fine if Brett Finch doesn't have a brain fart though as I've said before.

Didn’t he have a good game and score a belting try or did I imagine that?

He was a real talent that lad and a shame that drop pretty much consigned him to a career in lower grade.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Re: Academy Under/Overachievers Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:52 pm  

JonnyBroad wrote:
JonnyBroad Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

post wrote:
Under Achiever - Daryl Lacey

Over Achiever - Shaun Edwards

Daryl was outstanding at 10,11,12,13 ect.. but just never found a way through.
PreviousNext