FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - RD 9 | Leeds Rhinos (H)
RankPostsTeam
International Star2736
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 01 201014 years127th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 00:3228th Mar 24 14:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Under New Springs bridge wit' rest of trolls

Re: RD 9 | Leeds Rhinos (H) : Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:23 pm  
Egg Chasing wrote:
No thought or concern for the fans

Yeah gutted, can't go now :evil:
RankPostsTeam
International Star3834
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years105th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 16:2526th Mar 24 19:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: RD 9 | Leeds Rhinos (H) : Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:39 pm  
FearTheVee wrote:
I think it is a sensible, decisive move that SL have made rearranging the fixtures.

Why do you think that?

SL should have followed the NRL's lead and had all teams & player's following a stringent lockdown process.

That would have been a sensible and decisive move - not moving a fixture by 24hrs... seeing that the current recommended isolation period is now 10 days it doesn't make any sense as we are still in a 7 day window.

Every year that passes the RFL & SL turns into more and more of joke sport.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9219
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 200519 years98th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 16:4727th Mar 24 13:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 9 | Leeds Rhinos (H) : Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:48 pm  
sergeant pepper wrote:
Why do you think that?

SL should have followed the NRL's lead and had all teams & player's following a stringent lockdown process.

That would have been a sensible and decisive move - not moving a fixture by 24hrs... seeing that the current recommended isolation period is now 10 days it doesn't make any sense as we are still in a 7 day window.

Every year that passes the RFL & SL turns into more and more of joke sport.

I think they are two separate issues. They've done the only thing they could do with regards to rearranging the fixtures and keeping the season going. Those online who are throwing a hissy fit and demanding the season be cancelled aren't living in the real world - cancel the season and the sport is on death's door.

I do agree that there should be tougher restrictions on players with regards to social and leisure activities but the concept of a 'bubble' is illogical. What about food and medicine? What about the lives of family members?
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29166
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 18:2627th Mar 24 12:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 9 | Leeds Rhinos (H) : Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:38 pm  
Given the circumstances presented to them now, I think they’ve made the right call on moving swiftly to rearrange fixtures. They have to look at stricter measures being put on players going forward though if they’re to avoid more and more of these issues.
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years194th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 11:3014th Dec 23 10:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Re: RD 9 | Leeds Rhinos (H) : Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:21 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
Given the circumstances presented to them now, I think they’ve made the right call on moving swiftly to rearrange fixtures. They have to look at stricter measures being put on players going forward though if they’re to avoid more and more of these issues.

Agreed. I don't think we can be too harsh because a lot of them aren't being paid enough to justify the sacrifice, but I don't think telling them to stay out of bars etc is too much to ask to save the sport
RankPostsTeam
International Star3834
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years105th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: RD 9 | Leeds Rhinos (H) : Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:40 pm  
MadDogg wrote:
I think they are two separate issues. They've done the only thing they could do with regards to rearranging the fixtures and keeping the season going. Those online who are throwing a hissy fit and demanding the season be cancelled aren't living in the real world - cancel the season and the sport is on death's door.

I do agree that there should be tougher restrictions on players with regards to social and leisure activities but the concept of a 'bubble' is illogical. What about food and medicine? What about the lives of family members?

I don't understand what difference the extra 24hrs will make tho? If that then took them out of 10 day recommended window then it would make sense, but it doesn't - it puts them at 8 days.

In regards to the bubble - I have no idea how it works. All I know is that the NRL have put really tight protocols (think they've called it Apollo) in place and it's worked. I know the Storm & NZ are based in hotels/outside of their normal locations, but as far as I'm aware all other players are living at their homes.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9219
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 200519 years98th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 9 | Leeds Rhinos (H) : Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:08 pm  
sergeant pepper wrote:
I don't understand what difference the extra 24hrs will make tho? If that then took them out of 10 day recommended window then it would make sense, but it doesn't - it puts them at 8 days.

In regards to the bubble - I have no idea how it works. All I know is that the NRL have put really tight protocols (think they've called it Apollo) in place and it's worked. I know the Storm & NZ are based in hotels/outside of their normal locations, but as far as I'm aware all other players are living at their homes.

I'm not sure what you mean with the 24 hours - Salford and Hull have been taken out of action and the other clubs go on normal as far as I'm aware (providing the testing is all clear). The Wigan game has been postponed 24 hours presumably to give Sky 2 games on the Saturday and 2 games on the Sunday.

I don't think the COVID regulations for the two leagues are directly comparable - there have been far less cases in Australia and the recent outbreak is mainly confined to Victoria. Plus NRL players/coaches have been breaching protocol - it just looks like they were lucky in doing so that they didn't become infected and transmit it onwards. Plus even if players behave perfectly, a legitimate 'bubble' would essentially mean food is delivered to players' homes and they aren't allowed outside for fresh air/exercise outside of training and games. I would be stunned if that was the case in Australia - I doubt it is practical or reasonable.

Adam Pearson has been on the radio saying the original infection was likely caught by a player who went to hospital with a sick child (I'm sure no-one would argue that is an essential journey). What didn't sound great was the player coming into training already presenting with symptoms - as soon as that happens its common sense to stay home. All it takes is one mistake and big problems can occur.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29166
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 18:2627th Mar 24 12:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 9 | Leeds Rhinos (H) : Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:20 pm  
Having two games Saturday and two Sunday will help avoid the ridiculous situation of teams sharing changing facilities on the same day as well. If that was an issue at Headingley, with two stadiums on site, then I shudder to think what the arrangements are at Saints and Wire. One bar of soap between all 10 teams maybe.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3834
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years105th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: RD 9 | Leeds Rhinos (H) : Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:42 pm  
MadDogg wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean with the 24 hours - Salford and Hull have been taken out of action and the other clubs go on normal as far as I'm aware (providing the testing is all clear). The Wigan game has been postponed 24 hours presumably to give Sky 2 games on the Saturday and 2 games on the Sunday.

I don't think the COVID regulations for the two leagues are directly comparable - there have been far less cases in Australia and the recent outbreak is mainly confined to Victoria. Plus NRL players/coaches have been breaching protocol - it just looks like they were lucky in doing so that they didn't become infected and transmit it onwards. Plus even if players behave perfectly, a legitimate 'bubble' would essentially mean food is delivered to players' homes and they aren't allowed outside for fresh air/exercise outside of training and games. I would be stunned if that was the case in Australia - I doubt it is practical or reasonable.

Adam Pearson has been on the radio saying the original infection was likely caught by a player who went to hospital with a sick child (I'm sure no-one would argue that is an essential journey). What didn't sound great was the player coming into training already presenting with symptoms - as soon as that happens its common sense to stay home. All it takes is one mistake and big problems can occur.

I mean moving the Wigan game back by 24hrs. If it's done for the TV then that's fine. I just assumed it was for safety pov, which didn't make sense.

The situation is different now, but how long has the NRL being going for? 10 weeks perhaps, so it was the same back then for them as it is now.

The main difference and the point I'm trying to put forward is that the NRL have put protocols in place to safeguard against things like this happening. Players might break the rules, but at least there's something in place to punish them with.

Again I'm not 100% sure on the details, but are are definitely in lockdown & bubbles - no bars, beaches, golf, coffee shops or restaurants etc. Seibold broke out of his bubble to deal with family issues and will need to self isolate for 2 weeks before he can return. Alfie Langer was caught having a few scoops with friends and was stood down for 2 weeks. https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/nrl-coronavirus-arlc-annouces-return-to-original-apollo-protocols-for-non-queensland-teams-as-covid-19-cases-spike/147g2nnx2pgrt16ec4wezlp241.

I don't think it's too much to ask to put something similar in place here. Perfect example is with the guy from Hull - If that was the NRL then he'd have been told to lockdown for 2 weeks as he'd been to the hospital. None of this would have happened if we did the same.
MadDogg wrote:

I mean moving the Wigan game back by 24hrs. If it's done for the TV then that's fine. I just assumed it was for safety pov, which didn't make sense.

The situation is different now, but how long has the NRL being going for? 10 weeks perhaps, so it was the same back then for them as it is now.

The main difference and the point I'm trying to put forward is that the NRL have put protocols in place to safeguard against things like this happening. Players might break the rules, but at least there's something in place to punish them with.

Again I'm not 100% sure on the details, but are are definitely in lockdown & bubbles - no bars, beaches, golf, coffee shops or restaurants etc. Seibold broke out of his bubble to deal with family issues and will need to self isolate for 2 weeks before he can return. Alfie Langer was caught having a few scoops with friends and was stood down for 2 weeks. https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/nrl-coronavirus-arlc-annouces-return-to-original-apollo-protocols-for-non-queensland-teams-as-covid-19-cases-spike/147g2nnx2pgrt16ec4wezlp241.

I don't think it's too much to ask to put something similar in place here. Perfect example is with the guy from Hull - If that was the NRL then he'd have been told to lockdown for 2 weeks as he'd been to the hospital. None of this would have happened if we did the same.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9219
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 200519 years98th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 9 | Leeds Rhinos (H) : Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:01 pm  
sergeant pepper wrote:

I think all of that is spot on. As I said I do think there should be tougher restrictions on social and leisure activities and it would definitely have been sensible to ask a player to quarantine after a hospital visit. Probably my mistake associating your comment about an NRL player lockdown with some comments on social media complaining that the NRL have eradicated any risk of infection with bio-secure bubbles. Bubbles dont exist in this context and regardless of player's engagement in social activities there is always a risk as players and their families have to carry out essential activities outside of the sport.
sergeant pepper wrote:

I think all of that is spot on. As I said I do think there should be tougher restrictions on social and leisure activities and it would definitely have been sensible to ask a player to quarantine after a hospital visit. Probably my mistake associating your comment about an NRL player lockdown with some comments on social media complaining that the NRL have eradicated any risk of infection with bio-secure bubbles. Bubbles dont exist in this context and regardless of player's engagement in social activities there is always a risk as players and their families have to carry out essential activities outside of the sport.
PreviousNext