Jan 20 201311 years89th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Sep 23 17:4931st Aug 23 13:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Not A Bad Weekend : Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:59 pm  
The Yellow Giraffe wrote:
If you can show me a post which contains any suggestion of us having the worlds best in each and every position I'd be interested..... :D

All jokes aside, on Saturday we didn't play well enough and Warrington deserved the win, simple as that. We switched off and conceded 3 tries in 11 minutes, leaving ourselves too much to do. We can cite injuries to half of our backline on the day and two 2nd rowers out of position, plus a few calls going against us and a bounce off Gelling's head going for them..........BUT we could and should have still won the game despite all of that. We lost due to our own incompetence on the day.

I am not sure I agree on us bottling big games as such. We won convincingly in the playoff semi last year against you which was of course followed by a GF win. However what does concern me is our ability to unlock defences in tight games against the top sides. I posted on redvee that we seem to struggle when we are camped in opposition's 20/30 zone and we are crying out for a crafty 7 to do something different. Fages is a solid little player but he doesn't excite me or get me off the edge of my seat. He will never do something out of the ordinary which is sometimes what you need to make the difference in close games. Put Hastings in our side in his place and we'd be almost unplayable.I am not saying Lewis Dodd will be or is the answer but his chance has to come soon I think.

We can steamroll 90% of opposition with our pack size and ruck speed, but when we don't get on top early doors or are chasing the game, we can come unstuck. I don't think that is a mentality thing, hence why I don't agree on "bottling." I think it's a tactical/personnel thing personally.

For what it's worth I also agree with the posters who say we are heavily reliant on Walmsley at the minute. Without him we would really struggle to get on top of teams. I was pleased when we signed Graham but he is a completely different player to Thompson and we really miss his yards alongside Walmsley. Replacing him properly for 2021 and also getting more out of Lees will be massive in terms of our chances next year.

You're a member of redvee aren't you? Do you watch the preview/review shows? Every player they talk about is the worlds best. Walmsely is the best in the world apparently :lol: :lol:

You've won 1 trophy from 5 so far during your dominance having lost 2 semi finals, a final and a quarter final. You've been the favourites in them all but don't bottle the big games? Ok then. :thumb:
RankPostsTeam
International Star3792
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 17 201113 years232nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 15:124th Apr 24 07:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Not A Bad Weekend : Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:01 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
Absolutely. It’s a compliment really to say I think you’ve been good enough to expect to have won 3 or 4 of those 5 trophies, if not all 5 bit for whatever reason they’ve alluded you (I don’t count the LLS to be honest, as I didn’t with us when talking about us winning nothing in 2012 because that’s how it feels). It just adds a bit of pressure to the end of this season but on the flip side you should be fresh as daisies for the run in and with what should be a bye against us next week, that’ll be a bonus two points to tag on.

Yeah it's a case of win the GF or it's a failed season now, same as it was after we lost the CC final last year. I also mentioned the other day on redvee whilst clutching at straws that you and Warrington playing 1 or 2 extra games than us now may work in our favour. As it stands I would still have us as favourites to win it and if we do then back to back titles will be a great achievement. However it's a game of fine margins and if we don't win the GF then the pitchforks will be out for Woolf I imagine.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3792
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 17 201113 years232nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Not A Bad Weekend : Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:05 pm  
Egg Chasing wrote:
You're a member of redvee aren't you? Do you watch the preview/review shows? Every player they talk about is the worlds best. Walmsely is the best in the world apparently :lol: :lol:

You've won 1 trophy from 5 so far during your dominance having lost 2 semi finals, a final and a quarter final. You've been the favourites in them all but don't bottle the big games? Ok then. :thumb:

Yes I am a member of redvee. Can you please point me in the direction of the post where anyone has claimed we have the best player in every position? Come on mate if you're gonna engage in conversation at least make it reasonable. I can debate all day with people like NickyKiss because, whilst not always agreeing with me, he/she is reasonable and doesn't post nonsense. You should try it.

Bar Thompson when he was here and one or two saying Walmsley, I haven't heard any Saints fan claim we have the best in any particular position in the world. So out of 9 positions on a field some fans have claimed we have the best in 1 of those. Hardly them all is it? Which other players have been mentioned as the best in the world or have you literally just made that up?

And yes we have only won 1 major trophy in the last 3 years including this one and we should've had more. However nobody has a better record than us in that time so it seems odd you belittling that feat when yours is no better.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 201311 years89th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Sep 23 17:4931st Aug 23 13:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Not A Bad Weekend : Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:35 pm  
We haven't been all conquering though have we. We've been pretty poor TBH as most of our fans will agree, but have won the same number of trophies as the mighty St Helens. Maybe more come the end of this season.

Go read redvee. You'll find them.
RankPostsTeam
International Star811No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 201212 years297th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Aug 22 23:0916th Aug 22 15:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Not A Bad Weekend : Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:20 pm  
Yes I am a member of redvee. Can you please point me in the direction of the post where anyone has claimed we have the best player in every position? Come on mate if you're gonna engage in conversation at least make it reasonable. I can debate all day with people like NickyKiss because, whilst not always agreeing with me, he/she is reasonable and doesn't post nonsense. You should try it.

Bar Thompson when he was here and one or two saying Walmsley, I haven't heard any Saints fan claim we have the best in any particular position in the world. So out of 9 positions on a field some fans have claimed we have the best in 1 of those. Hardly them all is it? Which other players have been mentioned as the best in the world or have you literally just made that up?

And yes we have only won 1 major trophy in the last 3 years including this one and we should've had more. However nobody has a better record than us in that time so it seems odd you belittling that feat when yours is no better.

I think that you can include Mark Percival in the world class players at Saints
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4649
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 05 20159 years205th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 23:2415th Apr 24 15:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Not A Bad Weekend : Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:53 pm  
As far as St Helens is concerned, I am definitely of the view that they owe much of their success to Holbrook, and I don't see that Wigan's squad is any worse, man for man. And I don't think a guy who regularly tops the Errors list on stats is really world-class. We'll see what Shaun Wane thinks.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29248
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 21:2615th Apr 24 14:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Not A Bad Weekend : Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:37 pm  
moto748 wrote:
As far as St Helens is concerned, I am definitely of the view that they owe much of their success to Holbrook, and I don't see that Wigan's squad is any worse, man for man. And I don't think a guy who regularly tops the Errors list on stats is really world-class. We'll see what Shaun Wane thinks.

I think we can see the proof of how good Holbrook is with the job he’s doing with Gold Coast. They’ve been a basket case for years but his first step has been to make a pretty average group of players very competitive. Next year they’ve signed some fantastic players and if they could get a top level halfback I could see him turning them in to challengers within another season or two.
Phuzzy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5201
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200617 years123rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 00:0514th Apr 24 18:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Not A Bad Weekend : Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:25 am  
Come on mate if you're gonna engage in conversation at least make it reasonable. I can debate all day with people like NickyKiss because, whilst not always agreeing with me, he/she is reasonable and doesn't post nonsense. You should try it.

Actually, you're confusing blowing smoke up your ass with "not posting nonsense". He said you should have won 4 (or even all 5!!) trophies in the last period. I've never read such nonsense. You didn't for one reason and one reason only. You weren't good enough to. I could 'debate' with you all day if you fancy telling me Wigan should have won all available trophies. Unfortunately, that's not debate.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29248
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 21:2615th Apr 24 14:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Not A Bad Weekend : Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:07 am  
Phuzzy wrote:
Actually, you're confusing blowing smoke up your ass with "not posting nonsense". He said you should have won 4 (or even all 5!!) trophies in the last period. I've never read such nonsense. You didn't for one reason and one reason only. You weren't good enough to. I could 'debate' with you all day if you fancy telling me Wigan should have won all available trophies. Unfortunately, that's not debate.

Twisting what I said there a bit. I said they’ve been good enough in the weekly rounds to ‘expect’ to have won 3 or 4 of the 5 trophies and if not all 5 but they didn’t and they’ve heaped pressure on themselves. I’m saying they were that far in front of everyone in the weekly rounds you’d expect them to translate that in to winning the major trophies but they didn’t and you’re right it’s because they aren’t good enough to do that. The Saints fans love to big their team up but in the grand scheme of things looking over superleague history it’s nothing special but what it has been IMO is the most dominant weekly round team in the history of superleague under Holbrook. That is more to do with how bad everyone else has been but when you’re sticking 40/50 points on teams most weeks and the other teams look like probably the most average crop in superleague history, you would expect them to win more trophies no?! They should’ve won more, they’ll regret not winning more and they’re being labelled as bottlers.

The fact that is how it’s planned out couldn’t give me a greater pleasure but the opinions aren’t blowing smoke up any Saints fans backside, they’re just the way it is IMO.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3792
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 17 201113 years232nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Not A Bad Weekend : Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:59 am  
Phuzzy wrote:

Eh?! You have massively misinterpreted my comment. I have had many discussions with NickyKiss on here so my opinion wasn't based on what was said yesterday. If you think I am somehow flattered by his comments about Saints then you're mistaken.

The "nonsense" was in reference to the other poster claiming Saints fans think they have the best player in the world in every position, despite being able to give any evidence whatsoever to support that claim.
PreviousNext