0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Huddersfield v Cas Cancelled : Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:29 pm  
Grimmy wrote:
They made the last two finals on offer - therefore they clearly had good enough resources to compete for finals. I agree it appears poor though unless we learn anything more. I don't understand it as they definitely fielded reserves at the start of the year and as above I don't get why they don't loan players. I'm guessing there must be something we're missing.

I'd argue there's a big difference in getting to two finals in a 12 month period and sustaining that level of success over a longer period of time. You need depth to consistently challenge and I'd say this is proof that their squad is paper thin.

I might sound like a grump, or that I'm going OTT, but I'm absolutely sick to my back teeth of the British game at the min. The Toronto fiasco, Catalan's might not fulfill their quota and now this.

Where's the leadership? Why aren't clubs being told that if they want to be part of the top tier of RL in this country they need 30 players and an academy? That seems like an absolute basic for a professional team imo.

Why weren't Catalan's made to move over to the UK like the NZ warriors had to, or the Storm had to? Pretty obvious that there was a chance that France, or the UK might go back into lockdown and to have all the teams based in the same country would kinda be useful.

You can't expect money to come into the game when it seems like it's amateur hour.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32308
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 17 200221 years157th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 13:0116th Mar 24 11:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row

Re: Huddersfield v Cas Cancelled : Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:25 pm  
Anyway, Wire v Huddersfield now on Friday, sensible option?
Pemps 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach18736No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 14 200519 years252nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 17:3516th Nov 23 17:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
king warrior wrote:
Adam Blair flew over yesterday and has been training the deal is going to be signed this week

Got to say this is a top signing

Re: Huddersfield v Cas Cancelled : Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:42 pm  
sergeant pepper wrote:
Why aren't clubs being told that if they want to be part of the top tier of RL in this country they need 30 players and an academy? That seems like an absolute basic for a professional team imo..

I would imagine they can't afford it

sergeant pepper wrote:
Why weren't Catalan's made to move over to the UK like the NZ warriors had to, or the Storm had to? Pretty obvious that there was a chance that France, or the UK might go back into lockdown and to have all the teams based in the same country would kinda be useful.

Again, I would imagine they can't afford it.
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years198th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 18:5414th Dec 23 10:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Re: Huddersfield v Cas Cancelled : Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:13 pm  
Pemps wrote:

Beat me to it, who pays for all this?
RankPostsTeam
International Star1192
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 30 201014 years291st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 16:5926th Nov 22 10:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Don't need to count days off now . Retirement is a wonderful thing
Signature
Regards , EW

Re: Huddersfield v Cas Cancelled : Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:29 pm  
Wire v Giants (round21) is that the extended play off plan scuppered.

Regards EW
RankPostsTeam
International Star3834
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years108th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 08:4026th Mar 24 19:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Huddersfield v Cas Cancelled : Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:32 pm  
Pemps wrote:

Tough to say, but it's not really an excuse & each has a wider impact on the rest of the league.

We run an academy and other teams benefit from it. Not really a fair approach, or one that incentives teams to start running an academy.

The integrity of the comp has been massively impacted by Catalan and Toronto and the change to win %. If they couldn't afford to move over to the UK then the league should have mothballed them for 12 months. Dispensations could have been made on signing players from Cats or Toronto on loan meaning the financial burden of wages was less for them.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3834
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years108th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Huddersfield v Cas Cancelled : Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:42 pm  
Grimmy wrote:
Beat me to it, who pays for all this?

Welcome to the race to the bottom then. How many times do we roll out the poverty line?

Look at this from a wider commercial POV for once. If you were a decent sized company and wanted to invest in a sponsorship relationship, would you honestly pick RL? If not then why not?

Look at our nearest competitor RU - they kept the integrity of the league. No win % changes, no last min changes to the playoff structure. Just simple and solid leadership to see it out the league as it should have been.
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years198th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 18:5414th Dec 23 10:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Re: Huddersfield v Cas Cancelled : Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:11 pm  
sergeant pepper wrote:
Look at this from a wider commercial POV for once.

Ironic, given that you have completely ignored the obvious commercial issue by advocating that we should have cancelled this season, thus throwing away every club's major lifeline - the sky money. Don't just take my word for that, we publicly acknowledge in the accounts every year that, like all SL clubs, we are reliant on income from Sky.

sergeant pepper wrote:
If you were a decent sized company and wanted to invest in a sponsorship relationship, would you honestly pick RL? If not then why not?

No I wouldn't invest in RL, we're a poor sport with not great attendances followed primarily by people who don't live in very affluent areas (I include myself in that). Bugger all to do with the integrity of the comp or whether teams run academies.

sergeant pepper wrote:
Look at our nearest competitor RU - they kept the integrity of the league. No win % changes, no last min changes to the playoff structure. Just simple and solid leadership to see it out the league as it should have been.

I find RU boring so I don't follow it. If they are demanding every team has an academy and putting up overseas teams in hotels for long periods (I genuinely don't know what issues they have faced or how they dealt with them) then it will be because they can afford it.
Ruddy Duck 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years306th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Huddersfield v Cas Cancelled : Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:54 pm  
Now that the clubs with the exception of Catalan have completed the required 15 fixtures and a extended play off competition is now to take place, why be surprised?
RankPostsTeam
International Star3834
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years108th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Huddersfield v Cas Cancelled : Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:56 pm  
Grimmy wrote:
Ironic, given that you have completely ignored the obvious commercial issue by advocating that we should have cancelled this season, thus throwing away every club's major lifeline - the sky money. Don't just take my word for that, we publicly acknowledge in the accounts every year that, like all SL clubs, we are reliant on income from Sky.

Where have I said we should have cancelled this season? I said that if Cats or Toronto couldn't commit to the moving to the UK for the rest of the season they should have been mothballed until 2021. I then argued for special dispensation for other teams to sign their players on a loan basis. Plenty of work/thought to do in making it an even spread across the league, but not an impossible task imo. Hell it might have actually helped Salford out too.

No I wouldn't invest in RL, we're a poor sport with not great attendances followed primarily by people who don't live in very affluent areas (I include myself in that). Bugger all to do with the integrity of the comp or whether teams run academies.

I'm not sure if you're being serious here or not? Are you saying that businesses don't market to the kind of people that watch RL? I guess that these large firms for example, haven't realised the type of people who watch darts https://www.pdc.tv/about-pdc/partners-pdc. You yourself said we're a poor sport, but rather than accept it maybe it's time to change it?

Businesses don't enter into commercial partnerships with organisations that don't look like they have their act together. We have that perception and that's why we struggle to get meaningful sponsors. Thus we're overly reliant on Sky.

ATEOTD RL desperately needs more investment. Saying "oh it's ok" to teams that don't have an academy, or accepting the constant flip flopping with rule and structure changes isn't helping portray the image of us having our $hit together.
Grimmy wrote:

Where have I said we should have cancelled this season? I said that if Cats or Toronto couldn't commit to the moving to the UK for the rest of the season they should have been mothballed until 2021. I then argued for special dispensation for other teams to sign their players on a loan basis. Plenty of work/thought to do in making it an even spread across the league, but not an impossible task imo. Hell it might have actually helped Salford out too.

I'm not sure if you're being serious here or not? Are you saying that businesses don't market to the kind of people that watch RL? I guess that these large firms for example, haven't realised the type of people who watch darts https://www.pdc.tv/about-pdc/partners-pdc. You yourself said we're a poor sport, but rather than accept it maybe it's time to change it?

Businesses don't enter into commercial partnerships with organisations that don't look like they have their act together. We have that perception and that's why we struggle to get meaningful sponsors. Thus we're overly reliant on Sky.

ATEOTD RL desperately needs more investment. Saying "oh it's ok" to teams that don't have an academy, or accepting the constant flip flopping with rule and structure changes isn't helping portray the image of us having our $hit together.
PreviousNext