Aug 01 20195 years145th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Sep 23 23:299th Sep 23 23:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:54 pm  
Egg Chasing wrote:
I quite like Magic but they need to stop messing with the venue and date.

Same place, same time every season. Maybe even pick the fixtures the week (or 2 week) before in a 1st v 2nd, 3rd v 4th format to try and keep the games fair and as closely contested as possible.

That's the best idea iv'e heard as a concept for the Magic Weekend.Nobody knows who they are playing until a week before the weekend. The only problem being people wont know what day to buy a ticket for and getting time off work, babysitters etc but i like the idea in principle.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 201311 years90th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Sep 23 17:4931st Aug 23 13:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:25 pm  
Pie_Eyter wrote:
That's the best idea iv'e heard as a concept for the Magic Weekend.Nobody knows who they are playing until a week before the weekend. The only problem being people wont know what day to buy a ticket for and getting time off work, babysitters etc but i like the idea in principle.

That's an issue that would need ironing out yes (maybe do it a month before, but then the table might change dramatically in that time), BUT the idea is that it's a weekend event which IMO is why it needs to be somewhere you would go for the weekend as opposed to Manchester or Liverpool. So it would be Newcastle or Cardiff for me with Newcastle pinching it because it's easier to get there for the day if you want to.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1227
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 12 20158 years299th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Jan 24 07:1622nd Jan 24 19:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:15 pm  
[Gareth] wrote:
Its getting boring now

Indeed it is.
hatty 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3722
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 200321 years274th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 18:293rd May 24 08:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
1998,2010,2013,2016,2018 & 2023.....I was there
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Re: Magic Weekend : Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:22 am  
If we are going to keep it then it does need revamping.
1) Decide which teams are to play on each day
2) Have a draw one hour before the first game is due to start to determine who plays who and in which order.

This will add excitement for the fans as they don’t know who they will be playing until game day.
Yes teams won’t have had time to prepare for the opposition but that adds to the event and helps to create the occasional shock.
It would also get crowds into the stadium from the start, especially if they hype up the draw and make it a real event.
But whatever they decide to do it definitely needs to be reinvented.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1831No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 17 20168 years217th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 06:3421st Apr 24 16:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:12 am  
To be honest, most years I’d be inclined to agree but this year I’m just excited about the prospect of it going ahead with fans in the stadium.
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years207th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st May 24 10:3114th Dec 23 10:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Re: Magic Weekend : Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:38 am  
hatty wrote:
2) Have a draw one hour before the first game is due to start to determine who plays who and in which order.

This will add excitement for the fans as they don’t know who they will be playing until game day.
Yes teams won’t have had time to prepare for the opposition but that adds to the event and helps to create the occasional shock.
It would also get crowds into the stadium from the start, especially if they hype up the draw and make it a real event.

So all six teams have to get changed and warmed up at the same time ready to play, then four of them find out they're not playing yet? Besides the fact there are few stadiums with the facilities to allow six teams to all get changed and warmed up at the same time, it would just be messing players and coaching staff about needlessly. There would be heavy criticism of the RFL from the teams for being amateurish and rightly so.

I think it would be pretty poor from a fan's perspective too. You're asking people to buy travel, accommodation and tickets for what could well be three mismatches. I know from our group I can get six-eight of us to pay up for Wigan v Saints/Warrington/Leeds with a bit of arm twisting. For random opposition if would be a harder sell, most likely just two of us. I'll watch any rugby but it's asking a lot of time and money from casual fans to potentially watch Wigan v Hull KR.

We need these to either be evenly matched on paper, or derbies. Of course the problem with derbies is that if would mean the same games every year. 1 v 2, 3 v 4 etc from last season's table works, or alternatively from a set point during the current season (e.g when everyone has played each other once).
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain255No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 10 20177 years283rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Oct 23 22:423rd Oct 23 22:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:51 am  
hatty wrote:

great joke pal. :lol: :lol: :lol:
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2647
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 22 20186 years164th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 11:503rd May 24 21:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Magic Weekend : Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:31 am  
Father Ted wrote:
You're asking for a bit too much there, Royal Wire. Common sense and the RFL? Mutually exclusive really.
As a Wigan fan we played Saints 5 years out of 6 at Magic.
Played Leeds four on the trot.
If we'd played you guys last year we'd have played each other four on the bounce.

That's boring! Surely by now the RFL would have found a better way of sorting the six game fixtures?
A plain old drawing balls out of a bag would be better than this shambles.

Do the RFL organise SuperLeague's fixtures?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach903
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 04 200519 years308th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 10:571st Feb 23 06:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Formerly of Whelley via The River Caves, but now in the next best thing, Chorley!
Signature
'Do you remember when we had that meeting in Orlando? We talked about how we were knocked out the previous year by Leeds. And at the end, I asked you one question. "Do you want to be a semi-final team? Or do you want to do something special?" You all said you wanted to win. But talking is easy – it needed you to believe. It needed you to work hard – harder than you had – and make sacrifices. You did all that. you worked for each other. You stuck together when it was tough. And because of your efforts, you sit here tonight as champions. I'm proud of you. Be proud of yourselves. You've done something special.'

Shaun Wane's post-Grand Final speech. 5th October 2013.

Re: Magic Weekend : Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:51 am  
hatty wrote:

My take on this: make the draws from the top and bottom halves of the table for each day (and announce in advance which days the games are on i.e. top half Saturday, bottom half Sunday.

Draw the games for Saturday on the day before live on Sky Sports News, and then draw the games for Sunday before the first game on a Saturday so fans and teams know a day in advance who they will be playing.

This has the benefit of keeping some mystery and excitement over the fixtures whilst also deciding who plays who in a 'fairer' manner (ignoring the possibility of the Illuminati fixing the draw with hot and cold balls in the bag (oo-er)).

What's reckon? :D
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years207th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st May 24 10:3114th Dec 23 10:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Re: Magic Weekend : Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:42 pm  
ksm1701 wrote:
My take on this: make the draws from the top and bottom halves of the table for each day (and announce in advance which days the games are on i.e. top half Saturday, bottom half Sunday.

Draw the games for Saturday on the day before live on Sky Sports News, and then draw the games for Sunday before the first game on a Saturday so fans and teams know a day in advance who they will be playing.

This has the benefit of keeping some mystery and excitement over the fixtures whilst also deciding who plays who in a 'fairer' manner (ignoring the possibility of the Illuminati fixing the draw with hot and cold balls in the bag (oo-er)).

What's reckon? :D

Are less people really going because we know in advance who we will be playing? I think this is solving a problem that doesn't exist, and is more likely to hurt sales than help them. A lot of people aren't going to pay for a weekend ticket and accommodation if one day involves all the worst teams. Many of the fans of the best teams (who are also generally the ones with the most fans) will go up and back in a day if you do that. That in turn makes it less attractive to the cities bidding if people are more likely to go up and back on the day rather than spending money in the town on the night and paying for accommodation.

You also still have the issue of it being less attractive to casual fans if there's a 40% chance we won't be playing Saints/Wire/Leeds. Then if we do draw them it's late notice to arrange going to the game, especially given that it's hours of travel and the games are on TV. On the subject of TV, you can't advertise ahead who is playing, and it won't show in the TV pages or TV guide. That's not exactly a great recipe for getting casual viewers to watch it. Then those who do realise who is playing will probably not bother with the whole of the Sunday if there are none of the best teams playing all day, rather than maybe leaving it on all day if there are some of the best teams to look forward to.
PreviousNext