RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Joe Burgess
Joe Burgess Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:30 am  

Shabino wrote:
Shabino Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:39 pm
Posts: 783
Leading on from my other query about Tomkins.
Can someone tell me what went wrong for Joe at Wigan?
Saw him few years back at Headingley (pre- Australia) . Was best player on pitch by a mile..... Looked to have it all....
Re: Joe Burgess Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:32 am  

User avatarPieman wrote:
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:34 pm
Posts: 4038
Location: Atherton
nothing
Re: Joe Burgess Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:33 am  

User avatarFIOS wrote:
FIOS User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:06 pm
Posts: 3366
He is a player that relies on confidence and simply hasn’t had much of it the past few years
Re: Joe Burgess Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:56 am  

Shabino wrote:
Shabino Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:39 pm
Posts: 783
Find this hard to beleive. With Marshall on comeback, as is poor Manfredi, why sell your best winger? Well even before injuries if the deal was done then.....
Re: Joe Burgess Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:22 am  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 14908
Shabino wrote:
Find this hard to beleive. With Marshall on comeback, as is poor Manfredi, why sell your best winger? Well even before injuries if the deal was done then.....

He wasn't our best winger at the time the deal was likely made, or even first choice. His form improved later in the season.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Joe Burgess Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:23 am  

User avatarJukesays wrote:
Jukesays User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:19 pm
Posts: 6782
Location: Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Grimmy wrote:
He wasn't our best winger at the time the deal was likely made, or even first choice. His form improved later in the season.


We didn't sell him either
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!
Re: Joe Burgess Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:29 am  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 14908
Jukesays wrote:
We didn't sell him either

Yeah fair point, likely his choice to ensure he was playing every week.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Joe Burgess Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:45 am  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 25064
Location: WIGAN
On a side note with him, it was a shame to see he’s picked up a bad ankle injury and will miss a few months of the season. I don’t think injuries helped his second spell here and it’s not a good start at Salford sadly.
Re: Joe Burgess Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:00 am  

nathan_rugby wrote:
nathan_rugby Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:49 pm
Posts: 129
Had the potential to be one of the countries best wingers but his form drastically dropped as soon as he signed for the NRL.
He didn't really get a chance at the Roosters, decided to come back to Wigan but then get the opportunity for the loan move to the Rabbitos and admitted he would have preferred to stay there. So he never actually wanted to come back to Wigan.

When he returned he had lost a lot of speed (Injuries? And bulked up?)
Was making lots of basic errors
Maybe impacted by constant changing Centres who lacked quality?
Possibly reacted negatively / de-motivated to players such as Marshall, Manfredi, Davies getting picked ahead of him?
Looked uninterested at times

I think its just an accumulation of the above.
Re: Joe Burgess Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:50 am  
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:07 pm
Posts: 31717
nathan_rugby wrote:
Had the potential to be one of the countries best wingers but his form drastically dropped as soon as he signed for the NRL.
He didn't really get a chance at the Roosters, decided to come back to Wigan but then get the opportunity for the loan move to the Rabbitos and admitted he would have preferred to stay there. So he never actually wanted to come back to Wigan.

When he returned he had lost a lot of speed (Injuries? And bulked up?)
Was making lots of basic errors
Maybe impacted by constant changing Centres who lacked quality?
Possibly reacted negatively / de-motivated to players such as Marshall, Manfredi, Davies getting picked ahead of him?
Looked uninterested at times

I think its just an accumulation of the above.


That's not true, he was in great form when he came back in 2017 and was our top try scorer including a hattrick v Cronulla. Then in 2018 he scored eight tries in eight games before he suffered that horrific injury at Widnes. He never really regained his confidence from that injury.
Even in 2019 he finished up ,as third top try scorer, averaging a try a game. I always thought that needed to run in a few long range tries to get that confidence back
Last edited by Rogues Gallery on Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cherry toffee, Darwen Warrior, eddieH, Egg Chasing, Grimmy, Lazy J, MadDogg, Malooo, Salty, sergeant pepper, SubjectNine, verbatim and 193 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Wigan Warriors


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,143,5511,46378,5444,559LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Sun 18th Apr
NRL RND: 6 St.George14-20NZ Warriors
NRL RND: 6 NQL Cowboys30-18Canterbury
CH RND: 2 Bradford27-26Halifax
CH RND: 2 Swinton6-36Featherstone
CH RND: 2 Whitehaven29-20Newcastle
CH RND: 2 York14-20Sheffield
WSL RND: 1 BradfordW0-86St.HelensW
WSL RND: 1 WiganW52-8Wire W
WSL RND: 1 CastlefordW40-6FeatherstoneW
WSL RND: 1 LeedsW68-16YorkW
SL RND: 3 Hull FC14-14Warrington
Sat 17th Apr
CH RND: 2 Toulouse24-0LondonB
NRL RND: 6 Manly36-0Gold Coast
NRL RND: 6 Souths18-14Wests
NRL RND: 6 Canberra10-35Parramatta
CH RND: 2 Batley48-10Oldham
CH RND: 2 Widnes14-22Dewsbury
SL RND: 3 Catalans42-6Salford
Fri 16th Apr
NRL RND: 6 Newcastle26-22Cronulla
NRL RND: 6 Melbourne20-4Sydney
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 6
 PLDFADIFFPNTS
Penrith 6 160 38 122 12
Parramatta 6 151 90 61 10
Souths 6 161 74 87 10
Sydney 6 164 78 86 8
Melbourne 6 160 74 86 8
St.George 6 143 107 36 8
 
Canberra 6 113 125 -12 6
Newcastle 6 127 142 -15 6
NZ Warriors 6 113 116 -3 6
Gold Coast 6 124 115 9 6
Cronulla 6 126 120 6 4
NQL Cowboys 6 100 189 -89 4
Manly 6 83 168 -85 4
Brisbane 6 80 147 -67 2
Wests 6 108 178 -70 2
Canterbury 6 52 204 -152 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 5
 PLDFADIFFPNTSDIFFWP%
St.Helens 3 88 12 76 6 733.33 100.00
Wigan 3 73 30 43 6 243.33 100.00
Castleford 3 91 38 53 6 239.47 100.00
Catalans 3 91 44 47 6 206.82 100.00
Hull FC 3 71 28 43 5 253.57 83.33
Warrington 3 70 47 23 3 148.94 50.00
 
Leeds 3 44 59 -15 2 74.58 33.33
Hull KR 3 53 78 -25 2 67.95 33.33
Huddersfield 3 44 67 -23 0 65.67 0.00
Leigh 3 46 116 -70 0 39.66 0.00
Wakefield 3 34 96 -62 0 35.42 0.00
Salford 3 16 106 -90 0 15.09 0.00
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 2
 PLDFADIFFPNTS
Sheffield 2 70 26 44 4
Toulouse 2 45 6 39 4
Featherstone 2 64 24 40 4
Dewsbury 2 39 22 17 4
Halifax 2 73 41 32 2
Oldham 2 38 68 -30 2
 
Whitehaven 2 37 37 0 2
Batley 2 66 38 28 2
Bradford 2 39 76 -37 2
Newcastle 2 50 59 -9 1
Widnes 2 44 52 -8 1
Swinton 2 26 64 -38 0
York 2 20 41 -21 0
LondonB 2 14 71 -57 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 5
 PLDFADIFFPNTS
Workington 0 0 0 0 0
Hunslet 0 0 0 0 0
Crusaders 0 0 0 0 0
Rochdale 0 0 0 0 0
Barrow 0 0 0 0 0
LondonS 0 0 0 0 0
 
West Wales 0 0 0 0 0
Doncaster 0 0 0 0 0
Keighley 0 0 0 0 0
Coventry 0 0 0 0 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPNTS
St.HelensW 1 86 0 86 2
LeedsW 1 68 16 52 2
WiganW 1 52 8 44 2
CastlefordW 1 40 6 34 2
WakefieldW 0 0 0 0 0
Hudds W 0 0 0 0 0
 
FeatherstoneW 1 6 40 -34 0
Wire W 1 8 52 -44 0
YorkW 1 16 68 -52 0
BradfordW 1 0 86 -86 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X