RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - George Williams
Re: George Williams Tue May 04, 2021 10:42 am  

100% Warrior wrote:
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 6851
Jukesays wrote:
Oh will he now
He may as well stay in Australia then?


:roll:

He’s homesick and wants to come back to the UK. He’ll sign for the club willing to give him the most cash in the UK.

I can’t even believe I’m having to explain such a simple point to you.
Re: George Williams Tue May 04, 2021 11:34 am  
sergeant pepper User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:01 pm
Posts: 2393
Location: In the sky with diamonds
100% Warrior wrote:
:roll:

He’s homesick and wants to come back to the UK. He’ll sign for the club willing to give him the most cash in the UK.

I can’t even believe I’m having to explain such a simple point to you.


I'm not sure he would tbh (or at least I wouldn't).

Regardless of money, I wouldn't go to team outside the traditional big 4 (Us, Saints, Wire or Leeds). Well not if I wanted to A win stuff and B - be the best player I could be.

You see it in the NRL and how successful teams like the storm & roosters can offer below market value and still attract players. There was also the commonly accepted story that some of the Leeds players from their golden era didn't get paid as much as they could/should.

Now GW might not care and might just want to make his money. That's fair enough, but if true I wouldn't want him.
20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Re: George Williams Tue May 04, 2021 12:31 pm  

nathan_rugby wrote:
nathan_rugby Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:49 pm
Posts: 174
CobraCraig wrote:
It’s a tough time to be away I suppose, I’m sure under normal circumstances he would have family visiting him fairly regularly but obviously that’s a no go now, same goes for the Ozzie lads over here and I know it’s easy to say with hindsight after winning but the club probably played a blinder letting Hastings and French have extended leave.


Is it?

Things have been back to normal in Australia for ages.
Re: George Williams Tue May 04, 2021 12:45 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 25687
Location: WIGAN
It’s more normal in Oz but it’s not the standard norm is it? You can’t come and go as you please, your family can’t come and go as they please and there have still been restrictions on crowd numbers and the like at times and various places have gone in to mini lockdowns at points.

I laughed reading people’s comments on the Total RL site about how Williams should man up and get on with it and not throw a great opportunity away, whilst saying how easy they found it being away from home or saying how much they loved it. None of them had done it in these particular circumstances, so how can they make comments like that? Williams and his missus are stuck 12,000 miles away from home in a great country but it’s a country they can’t freely go in and out of, their families and friends can’t either and they’re expecting their first child, which for his partner is probably exciting but quite daunting without her family around.

What will be will be for the lad. If he comes here or goes elsewhere or stays in Canberra then let’s just hope they’re all happy. He’s been a great player for us in the past and might just be again in the future.
Re: George Williams Tue May 04, 2021 1:26 pm  

User avatarJukesays wrote:
Jukesays User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:19 pm
Posts: 6908
Location: Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
100% Warrior wrote:
:roll:

He’s homesick and wants to come back to the UK. He’ll sign for the club willing to give him the most cash in the UK.

I can’t even believe I’m having to explain such a simple point to you.


So what your saying is there's more to it than money???
If he's Homesick for the UK that's one thing - But what happens if he doesn't want to travel 4hrs a day (2hrs there and 2hrs back) for training? That may put him off signing for Hull or X,Y,Z no matter how much they're offering.

What happens if he wants to win things - That'll put him off signing for A,B or C

What happens if he WANTS to play for someone i.e. Wigan or whoever else - maybe that may become important to him

How do we know that John Bateman came back to Wigan because we offered him the most? Maybe other clubs did? Maybe his relationship with the board of Wigan such as IFL & Rads swayed him to come back?

My reply was only to point out that your simplistic statement that he'll sign for the club who offer him the most cash is IMO over simplistic - As is his current situation it's not Always about Money only, there is a balance to strike

What I will say, Wigan's track record of being fair with players and how they treat them doesn't seem to leave them angry/bitter with the club.
This IMO puts us at the forefront of getting them back should we want them, but obviously striking that balance of loyalty/faith with Pure hard cash has t be struck between the two.
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!
Re: George Williams Tue May 04, 2021 1:35 pm  

User avatar[Gareth] wrote:
[Gareth] User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:30 pm
Posts: 14804
Location: Listening to the reggae band, Jihad
Jukesays wrote:
So what your saying is there's more to it than money???
If he's Homesick for the UK that's one thing - But what happens if he doesn't want to travel 4hrs a day (2hrs there and 2hrs back) for training? That may put him off signing for Hull or X,Y,Z no matter how much they're offering.

What happens if he wants to win things - That'll put him off signing for A,B or C

What happens if he WANTS to play for someone i.e. Wigan or whoever else - maybe that may become important to him

How do we know that John Bateman came back to Wigan because we offered him the most? Maybe other clubs did? Maybe his relationship with the board of Wigan such as IFL & Rads swayed him to come back?

My reply was only to point out that your simplistic statement that he'll sign for the club who offer him the most cash is IMO over simplistic - As is his current situation it's not Always about Money only, there is a balance to strike

What I will say, Wigan's track record of being fair with players and how they treat them doesn't seem to leave them angry/bitter with the club.
This IMO puts us at the forefront of getting them back should we want them, but obviously striking that balance of loyalty/faith with Pure hard cash has t be struck between the two.


We should definately be in pole position should he become available
"Ich bin Platz eins, ja"
Re: George Williams Tue May 04, 2021 2:34 pm  

Trainman wrote:
Trainman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:59 pm
Posts: 1460
On the assumption that we make an offer for him (and I can’t see any reason we wouldn’t) we must have a great chance.

If as mentioned on this thread his partner/wife is pregnant it is highly likely they will want to be close to family. He’s from the Wigan area i think therefore immediate family is also likely to be from Wigan.

Most likely options are us and Warrington IMO. I reckon they’ll go all out for him.
Re: George Williams Tue May 04, 2021 3:58 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 25687
Location: WIGAN
Trainman wrote:
On the assumption that we make an offer for him (and I can’t see any reason we wouldn’t) we must have a great chance.

If as mentioned on this thread his partner/wife is pregnant it is highly likely they will want to be close to family. He’s from the Wigan area i think therefore immediate family is also likely to be from Wigan.

Most likely options are us and Warrington IMO. I reckon they’ll go all out for him.


Warrington will need to be a bit more savvy with their cap space going forward for me. I think they’ll get Trueman but he won’t be cheap and at the minute they probably don’t know for sure what’s happening with Widdop. If nothing lands in Oz for him then that’ll be two halves (with Trueman) tied up for next season on very good money. One worry we could have on the Wire score is if Canberra thought Widdop would be a viable replacement for Williams this season. The Canberra statement made it sound like George is quite keen to get home ASAP to me but they’ve asked him to stick it out. A swap deal this season could scupper us but that’s probably a long shot.
Re: George Williams Tue May 04, 2021 5:11 pm  

CobraCraig wrote:
CobraCraig Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:11 pm
Posts: 1296
nathan_rugby wrote:
Is it?

Things have been back to normal in Australia for ages.


It is if you’re a home bird and want to see your family, wouldn’t bother me personally and like you said Oz has faired much better than us with covid.
Re: George Williams Tue May 04, 2021 6:20 pm  

User avatarMattyB wrote:
MattyB User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:31 pm
Posts: 19289
NickyKiss wrote:
Warrington will need to be a bit more savvy with their cap space going forward for me. I think they’ll get Trueman but he won’t be cheap and at the minute they probably don’t know for sure what’s happening with Widdop. If nothing lands in Oz for him then that’ll be two halves (with Trueman) tied up for next season on very good money. One worry we could have on the Wire score is if Canberra thought Widdop would be a viable replacement for Williams this season. The Canberra statement made it sound like George is quite keen to get home ASAP to me but they’ve asked him to stick it out. A swap deal this season could scupper us but that’s probably a long shot.



I'm loving it to be honest. First Bateman now Williams, I really do hope it's starting to annoy Canberra (both staff and supporters). The more it happens the less chance NRL clubs will look to raid us on an annual basis.
WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA

WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017

SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016 & 2018

CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011 & 2013

LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010, 2012 & 2020

ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 & 2019

WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018

BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012

CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012



PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bad Leg Strikes, CobraCraig, Cruncher, DizzyHeights, FearTheVee, Froggy, Grimmy, Itchy Arsenal, jaws1, JIMMY MAGNETS, LewCharnock, MattyB, moto748, NickyKiss, NSW, Phuzzy, Pugsley Snr, Saint_Claire, sergeant pepper, spartakmixtapes, Sweaty Betty's, warrior1872, West Walian, Wigg'n and 254 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Wigan Warriors


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,187,1111,65378,6789,567LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Sun 1st Aug
NRL RND: 20 St.George14-50Souths
NRL RND: 20 Newcastle34-24Canberra
NRL RND: 20 Melbourne37-10Penrith
CH RND: 15 Dewsbury18-22Swinton
CH RND: 15 Featherstone6-23Toulouse
CH RND: 15 Halifax24-21Bradford
CH RND: 15 Newcastle14-20Whitehaven
CH RND: 15 Oldham20-30LondonB
CH RND: 15 Widnes16-34Batley
L1 RND: 12 Doncaster24-46Hunslet
L1 RND: 12 Crusaders72-4West Wales
L1 RND: 12 Rochdale20-42Keighley
SL RND: 17 Wigan50-6Leigh
SL RND: 17 Leeds26-27Warrington
Sat 31st Jul
L1 RND: 12 LondonS12-14Coventry
Fri 30th Jul
NRL RND: 20 Wests16-18NZ Warriors
NRL RND: 20 Brisbane37-18NQL Cowboys
Thu 29th Jul
NRL RND: 20 Sydney28-0Parramatta
SLRND: 16 Catalans40-20Wakefield
SL RND: 16 Hull FC12-22Leeds
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 20
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 19 689 224 465 34
Penrith 19 521 228 293 32
Souths 19 613 382 231 32
Parramatta 19 484 295 189 26
Sydney 19 509 343 166 26
Manly 18 529 378 151 22
Cronulla 18 370 418 -48 16
Canberra 19 383 465 -82 16
 
St.George 19 382 464 -82 16
Newcastle 19 325 472 -147 16
Gold Coast 18 426 478 -52 14
NZ Warriors 19 373 502 -129 12
Wests 19 412 564 -152 12
NQL Cowboys 19 358 584 -226 12
Brisbane 19 331 578 -247 10
Canterbury 18 236 566 -330 4
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 17
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 15 459 246 213 28 186.59 93.33
St.Helens 12 286 96 190 20 297.92 83.33
Warrington 15 456 247 209 23 184.62 76.67
Wigan 17 305 295 10 22 103.39 64.71
Hull FC 13 298 237 61 15 125.74 57.69
Hull KR 11 271 244 27 12 111.07 54.55
 
Leeds 16 380 290 90 16 131.03 50
Castleford 14 251 354 -103 12 70.90 42.86
Salford 14 237 405 -168 8 58.52 28.57
Huddersfield 15 244 318 -74 8 76.73 26.67
Wakefield 16 279 394 -115 8 70.81 25
Leigh 14 218 558 -340 0 39.07 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 16
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 10 456 94 362 20 485.11 100
Featherstone 14 579 189 390 26 306.35 92.86
Halifax 15 422 220 202 22 191.82 73.33
LondonB 14 404 357 47 19 113.17 67.86
Batley 15 404 302 102 20 133.77 66.67
Bradford 14 375 339 36 18 110.62 64.29
 
Whitehaven 15 297 410 -113 13 72.44 43.33
Widnes 14 323 378 -55 11 85.45 39.29
Sheffield 14 313 413 -100 11 75.79 39.29
Newcastle 14 298 420 -122 11 70.95 39.29
York 14 345 327 18 10 105.50 35.71
Dewsbury 14 215 401 -186 9 53.62 32.14
Oldham 14 210 500 -290 4 42 14.29
Swinton 15 256 547 -291 2 46.80 6.67
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 13
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 11 382 162 220 19 235.80 86.36
Workington 9 334 158 176 15 211.39 83.33
Doncaster 11 348 251 97 15 138.65 68.18
Crusaders 11 350 322 28 12 108.70 54.55
Keighley 12 410 279 131 13 146.95 54.17
Hunslet 12 334 301 33 11 110.96 45.83
 
Coventry 11 258 264 -6 10 97.73 45.45
Rochdale 11 299 322 -23 10 92.86 45.45
LondonS 12 192 350 -158 7 54.86 29.17
West Wales 12 126 586 -460 0 21.50 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
LeedsW 7 364 38 326 14 957.89 100
St.HelensW 7 370 36 334 12 1,027.78 85.71
WiganW 6 222 64 158 10 346.88 83.33
YorkW 6 186 102 84 8 182.35 66.67
CastlefordW 6 166 96 70 8 172.92 66.67
BradfordW 8 158 264 -106 6 59.85 37.50
 
Hudds W 7 104 288 -184 4 36.11 28.57
Wire W 8 150 334 -184 4 44.91 25
FeatherstoneW 8 122 338 -216 4 36.09 25
WakefieldW 7 50 332 -282 0 15.06 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X