RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Matty Peet
Re: Matty Peet Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:28 am  
Re: Matty Peet
Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:28 am  

Phuzzy wrote:
Phuzzy Member for 16 years
Bronze RLFANS Member


Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:25 am
Posts: 4654
Location: Just about to go do some work!
I think the way to look at this is would Croft have won it at Wigan with Field and French taking points off him and the answer is "very unlikely". Unfortunately shows the award up for what it is.

We've had the outstanding player ALL season, who helped his team to Challenge Cup victory and second place in the league beaten by a player who's team finished sixth.

I like Croft and he's had a great season but most influential player in the league? Come on!
Re: Matty Peet Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:17 pm  
Re: Matty Peet
Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:17 pm  
sergeant pepper Member for 11 years
Bronze RLFANS Member


Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:01 pm
Posts: 3349
Location: In the sky with diamonds
Phuzzy wrote:
I think the way to look at this is would Croft have won it at Wigan with Field and French taking points off him and the answer is "very unlikely". Unfortunately shows the award up for what it is.

We've had the outstanding player ALL season, who helped his team to Challenge Cup victory and second place in the league beaten by a player who's team finished sixth.

I like Croft and he's had a great season but most influential player in the league? Come on!


Spot on. It would never happen in Footy, who seem to (normally) get these decisions spot on. Salah or KDB win the award as they've played exceptionally well in exceptional sides. You don't get x player from a mid-level side (that's what Salford have been all year) winning it.
22 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
4 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Re: Matty Peet Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:20 pm  
Re: Matty Peet
Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:20 pm  

Phuzzy wrote:
Phuzzy Member for 16 years
Bronze RLFANS Member


Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:25 am
Posts: 4654
Location: Just about to go do some work!
sergeant pepper wrote:
Spot on. It would never happen in Footy, who seem to (normally) get these decisions spot on. Salah or KDB win the award as they've played exceptionally well in exceptional sides. You don't get x player from a mid-level side (that's what Salford have been all year) winning it.

We also nilled his team en route to the Challenge Cup victory. Croft is an excellent player and I've enjoyed watching him play but how can a team who finished sixth, was poor for half the season and didn't win anything contain the MOS? It doesn't make sense.
Re: Matty Peet Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:40 pm  
Re: Matty Peet
Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:40 pm  
The Whiffy Kipper Member for 6 years
Free-scoring winger
User avatar


Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:40 am
Posts: 1787
I wonder if he will be as revered next year without the outside knowledge of Briers or will the insular knowledge of the assistant coaches be as good as Lee's?
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.
Re: Matty Peet Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:37 am  
Re: Matty Peet
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:37 am  

Egg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing Member for 10 years
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar


Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 3951
Location: Watching Rugby League
Phuzzy wrote:
We also nilled his team en route to the Challenge Cup victory. Croft is an excellent player and I've enjoyed watching him play but how can a team who finished sixth, was poor for half the season and didn't win anything contain the MOS? It doesn't make sense.


The best player in the league doesn't HAVE to play for the best team in the league.

Croft has had a great season and arguably carried Salford to where they are on his own. I've no arguments with him winning it, given how it's decided.
Re: Matty Peet Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:08 am  
Re: Matty Peet
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:08 am  

NickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar


Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 27593
Location: WIGAN
I couldn’t help be pleased for Croft when I saw his reaction to winning it. It sounded like he’s pretty much been harassed in Australia for his performances and it felt like he’d been pretty low before coming here. He was emotional and unlike the last Salford winner, I’m convinced he’s a genuine guy. He’s been superb for the majority of the season and had he been available to Salford last Saturday, I think we may have been looking at a different Grand Final. As Egg Chasing says he wins it in the current set up, so he deserves it. The way the award is decided is wrong IMO but I’ve thought that since they changed it and it isn’t a reaction to Croft winning it.
Re: Matty Peet Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:11 am  
Re: Matty Peet
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:11 am  

Stu M wrote:
Stu M Member for 1 year
Strong-running second rower


Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:43 am
Posts: 446
Still staggers me that should Saints win tomorrow then Woolf will have never lost a play off game in 3 years, 3 GF's, 1x CC trophy and 1x LLS thrown in for good measure and he still won't have won Coach of the Year.

Work that one out.
Re: Matty Peet Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:27 am  
Re: Matty Peet
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:27 am  

Egg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing Member for 10 years
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar


Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 3951
Location: Watching Rugby League
Stu M wrote:
Still staggers me that should Saints win tomorrow then Woolf will have never lost a play off game in 3 years, 3 GF's, 1x CC trophy and 1x LLS thrown in for good measure and he still won't have won Coach of the Year.

Work that one out.


You're the best team in the league. Winning playoff games isn't a surprise. If anything by only winning 1 LLS and 1 CC he has failed because you were favourites for every single one.

Again - the best coach isn't necessarily the one that wins the big prize. It can be the one that exceeds expectation.
Re: Matty Peet Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:44 am  
Re: Matty Peet
Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:44 am  

MadDogg wrote:
MadDogg Member for 18 years
Silver RLFANS Member
User avatar


Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:14 am
Posts: 8482
Location: Edinburgh
Egg Chasing wrote:
You're the best team in the league. Winning playoff games isn't a surprise. If anything by only winning 1 LLS and 1 CC he has failed because you were favourites for every single one.

Again - the best coach isn't necessarily the one that wins the big prize. It can be the one that exceeds expectation.


It's usually given to the coach of the most improved side (rightly or wrongly).
Re: Matty Peet Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:54 am  
Re: Matty Peet
Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:54 am  

Egg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing Member for 10 years
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar


Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 3951
Location: Watching Rugby League
MadDogg wrote:
It's usually given to the coach of the most improved side (rightly or wrongly).


Exactly.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, Phuzzy, sergeant pepper and 83 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wigan Warriors

cron

RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
2s
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
35261
14s
Oh no not again
Victor
2
22s
Wane out
Sadfish
83
30s
Squad and Team 2023
bonaire
23
32s
Shopping List 2023
ComeOnYouUll
3385
45s
Rumours and signings v9
post
24881
57s
Langi
asmadasa
35
1m
Read this in the latest issue of League Express
glee
1
1m
Shares for sale in Trinity
Dunkirk Spir
67
1m
What we currently look like for 2023
PopTart
891
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Read this in the latest issue of League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Langi
asmadasa
35
TODAY
Football World Cup
Sadfish
1
TODAY
Oh no not again
Victor
2
TODAY
Contibutors
PopTart
4
TODAY
Read this in League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Jotform
Dunkirk Spir
2
TODAY
Introducing myself
Trinity info
4
TODAY
Friendlies
Pumpetypump
3
TODAY
Channel 4
rubber ducki
5
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
6012
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
1937
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
2881
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
1757
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
1866
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
1937
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
4666
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
2183
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
2773
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
2671
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2615
England Top Group A With Big W..
2331
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
2129
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
3352
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
2654
RLFANS Match Centre
Matches on TV
Thu 16th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Leeds
Fri 17th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leigh-Salford
Sat 18th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Hull KR-Wigan
WCC2023
07:00
Penrith-St.Helens
Thu 23rd Feb
SL-M
20:00
Salford-Hull KR
Fri 24th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leeds-Hull FC
Sun 26th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Castleford-St.Helens
Thu 2nd Mar
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Salford
Fri 3rd Mar
SL-M
20:00
St.Helens-Leeds
Thu 9th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Wigan-Catalans
Fri 10th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Hull FC 0 0 0 0 0
Catalans 0 0 0 0 0
Huddersfield 0 0 0 0 0
Leigh 0 0 0 0 0
St.Helens 0 0 0 0 0
Castleford 0 0 0 0 0
 
Wakefield 0 0 0 0 0
Leeds 0 0 0 0 0
Hull KR 0 0 0 0 0
Warrington 0 0 0 0 0
Salford 0 0 0 0 0
Wigan 0 0 0 0 0
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
2s
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
35261
14s
Oh no not again
Victor
2
22s
Wane out
Sadfish
83
30s
Squad and Team 2023
bonaire
23
32s
Shopping List 2023
ComeOnYouUll
3385
45s
Rumours and signings v9
post
24881
57s
Langi
asmadasa
35
1m
Read this in the latest issue of League Express
glee
1
1m
Shares for sale in Trinity
Dunkirk Spir
67
1m
What we currently look like for 2023
PopTart
891
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Read this in the latest issue of League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Langi
asmadasa
35
TODAY
Football World Cup
Sadfish
1
TODAY
Oh no not again
Victor
2
TODAY
Contibutors
PopTart
4
TODAY
Read this in League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Jotform
Dunkirk Spir
2
TODAY
Introducing myself
Trinity info
4
TODAY
Friendlies
Pumpetypump
3
TODAY
Channel 4
rubber ducki
5
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
6012
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
1937
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
2881
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
1757
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
1866
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
1937
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
4666
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
2183
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
2773
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
2671
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2615
England Top Group A With Big W..
2331
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
2129
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
3352
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
2654


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!