JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 05 200122 years267th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Oct 12 11:541st Jan 70 00:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
RLFANS.COM news items are posted in forums where it is thought that they will be of interest to the readership, all comments made below will also be available for viewing through the front page.

England Secure Test Series Win Over Tonga : Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:21 pm  

England Secure Test Series Win Over Tonga
While Engand won the first of the three test match series against Tonga last week, it was for from a simple victory and Shaun Wane knew that his side would need to be on top form again to avoid the tourists levelling the series in the afternoons game at the John Smiths Stadium in Huddersfield.

England went in to battle with Jack Welsby wearing the captain's armband but with enforced changes with Saints duo Morgan Knowles and Tommy Makinson being ruled out through injury to be replaced in the squad by Warrington's Ben Currie and Matty Ashton.

England were slight favourites for the win and were handicapped by four points on the coupon, the winning margin in the first test, but Tonga would need to dig deep to take the series on to a decider in Leeds next weekend.

READ MORE ON THIS STORY...

England Secure Test Series Win Over Tonga
While Engand won the first of the three test match series against Tonga last week, it was for from a simple victory and Shaun Wane knew that his side would need to be on top form again to avoid the tourists levelling the series in the afternoons game at the John Smiths Stadium in Huddersfield.

England went in to battle with Jack Welsby wearing the captain's armband but with enforced changes with Saints duo Morgan Knowles and Tommy Makinson being ruled out through injury to be replaced in the squad by Warrington's Ben Currie and Matty Ashton.

England were slight favourites for the win and were handicapped by four points on the coupon, the winning margin in the first test, but Tonga would need to dig deep to take the series on to a decider in Leeds next weekend.

READ MORE ON THIS STORY...
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29346
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200420 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 16:5911th May 24 06:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: England Secure Test Series Win Over Tonga : Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:36 pm  
A scrappy game but happy with the win. Time for Faz to retire from the international scene. Disappointed with the disrespect shown by Wayne Bennett in the past but absolutely staggered Shaun Wane has followed suit.
Smalls 
RankPostsTeam
International Star531No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 10 201014 years294th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Apr 24 16:0614th Apr 24 08:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
wearethewire wrote:
expect nothing, anything more is better

Wires71 wrote:
And there is the Warrington motto in a nutshell. No wonder we were dog dirt for 20 years

madoggy wrote:
hope saints win it, if wigan dont win another league title for 100 years they would still have more than everyone :wink:

Re: England Secure Test Series Win Over Tonga : Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:51 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
A scrappy game but happy with the win. Time for Faz to retire from the international scene. Disappointed with the disrespect shown by Wayne Bennett in the past but absolutely staggered Shaun Wane has followed suit.

Agree, bizarre.
Stu M 
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1016
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 22 20222 years147th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 06:5311th May 24 06:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: England Secure Test Series Win Over Tonga : Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:45 pm  
What a waste of a sub and lack of respect shown towards Farrell. He treated him like a competition winner by putting him on with so little time left.

He’s spending too much time trying to get as much airtime as possible to slag Woolf off.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9296
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 200519 years100th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 23:1511th May 24 18:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: England Secure Test Series Win Over Tonga : Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:09 pm  
Thought it was one of the most uninspiring experiences watching RL I can remember. Horrible game, horrible spectacle, horrible weather.

The comments from Wane were ridiculous and in all honesty the formulaic style of play was a reminder why Wigan fans were ready for a change after 2018.

Really wish England could get involved in a Nations series with Australia and New Zealand.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2623No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 15 20204 years53rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 02:4011th May 24 18:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: England Secure Test Series Win Over Tonga : Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:42 pm  
It was about as good as could have been expected in those conditions. But we have managed to win a series comfortably against a team many of our own fans thought we wouldn't have a chance against, and we managed to do it without the likes of Young, Farnworth, Williams and Thompson
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15194No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 14 200618 years189th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 09:5811th May 24 09:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: England Secure Test Series Win Over Tonga : Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:10 pm  
It just makes me think even more that we desperately need a Test series against Australia.

Don't get me wrong, the emergence of the South Seas nations as major competitors in the sport is very encouraging, but all those years ago, when we casually consigned the GB v Aus Test series to history, we really didn't understand what we were doing. Those fixtures were unmatched for passion and excitement. The Aussie tours of GB were an amazing experience. I remember walking down to Central Park for Test matches, and the atmosphere was electric, with cars backed all the way up to the motorway. It was the pinnacle of our international experience.

And now it's gone. Frittered away. It's talked off as if it was something quaint, which could only happen in an earlier era.

Needless to say, Union made no such error. They don't have a domestic game worth a dime, but their international contests are worth millions. No wonder they keep hammering them out.

I know there are forces beyond the British game's control here. Not least, the Aussies' ongoing intransigent disinterest in the RL futures of rival countries, but I still can't understand how we let these fixtures go. Games against Tonga and Samoa, and even New Zealand, can sometimes rise to the occasion, but it was GB v Aus that used to fill our stadia to the rafters. It also, in those games when we ran them close, gave us some truly exhilarating RL action.

I don't think it would be true to say there was much of that on show today.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3879
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years110th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 20:5210th May 24 18:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: England Secure Test Series Win Over Tonga : Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:34 pm  
Stu M wrote:
What a waste of a sub and lack of respect shown towards Farrell. He treated him like a competition winner by putting him on with so little time left.

He’s spending too much time trying to get as much airtime as possible to slag Woolf off.

Honestly, I sound like a broken record but I'm glad we only have to listen to Wane three or four times a year max. Can anyone pick out the common theme in his post match comments,?

This team have been fantastic in supporting me and believing in what I’ve been saying.

I said it last week, but it really does reinforce how good we've got it with Peet. Not a chance in hell we'd hear Peet talking about himself. I doubt Peet would even mention what Tonga had been talking about the noise from the Tonga camp either.

I don't want to even get started on his selections either. He's obviously a director at Wigan, but since he's been the England coach it's almost like he's determined to p1ss off as many Wigan players as possible - Faz, Marshall, Smithies, Dupree have all got reasons to be annoyed. He picked Snyed (f-ing Snyed over Smith last year too). I really hope he's nowhere near anything to do with contact extensions. Imagine the convo with Marshall i.e we really like and rate you Liam, just not enough to pick you for England tho. Anyway fancy signing this new deal.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5665
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20 200915 years233rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 01:3212th May 24 01:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: England Secure Test Series Win Over Tonga : Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:37 pm  
Cruncher wrote:
It just makes me think even more that we desperately need a Test series against Australia.

Don't get me wrong, the emergence of the South Seas nations as major competitors in the sport is very encouraging, but all those years ago, when we casually consigned the GB v Aus Test series to history, we really didn't understand what we were doing. Those fixtures were unmatched for passion and excitement. The Aussie tours of GB were an amazing experience. I remember walking down to Central Park for Test matches, and the atmosphere was electric, with cars backed all the way up to the motorway. It was the pinnacle of our international experience.

And now it's gone. Frittered away. It's talked off as if it was something quaint, which could only happen in an earlier era.

Needless to say, Union made no such error. They don't have a domestic game worth a dime, but their international contests are worth millions. No wonder they keep hammering them out.

I know there are forces beyond the British game's control here. Not least, the Aussies' ongoing intransigent disinterest in the RL futures of rival countries, but I still can't understand how we let these fixtures go. Games against Tonga and Samoa, and even New Zealand, can sometimes rise to the occasion, but it was GB v Aus that used to fill our stadia to the rafters. It also, in those games when we ran them close, gave us some truly exhilarating RL action.

I don't think it would be true to say there was much of that on show today.

Conditions were diabolical for good RL today tbf and England handled them defensively really well.
Also, I don't know if I'm misunderstanding you on your point about the Ashes, but we've got an Ashes tour to look forward to in 2025, haven't we? it may not be GB but imo It'll still be good to have a crack at them. The World Cup is the year after, then after that New Zealand and the Kangaroos will head over here to play England in 2027 and 2028.
Anyway, playing Tonga beats playing France any day of the week.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29346
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200420 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 16:5911th May 24 06:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: England Secure Test Series Win Over Tonga : Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:04 pm  
I’m happy with how the team has gone tbh and I’ve enjoyed watching us. It’s been played in tough conditions and international rugby league (against sides of similar abilities) is rarely free flowing. The performances Lewis and Smith have put in has been a highlight.

My issue with how Faz was treated today sits aside from that. I thought it was disgraceful. Wayne Bennett treated him disgracefully as well but he was a bit ignorant to Superleague in general. He was that ignorant he even treated the great James Roby like he was a park player but to see Shaun Wane going down the same route has absolutely knocked me for six. I thought Faz would be the first name on his sheet and rightfully so. I didn’t know Whitehead was on the field today. Faz always has been and always will be a better player than Whitehead or Bateman. It’s why he’s been in the dream team 6 times. It’s time for him to walk away and give 2 fingers to them.
Next