FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Salford Reds Devils 10 - 10 Warrington Wolves LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Mellor Try, Sneyd Goal
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Thompson charged
Phuzzy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5213
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200617 years127th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 11:1926th Apr 24 14:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Thompson charged : Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:12 pm  
Grade B head contact. Can't say I remember anything untoward from the match.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29295
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 00:0627th Apr 24 12:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thompson charged : Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:21 pm  
Not sure what it is for but at least there is no ban. I'm surprised that James Vella missed anything, given that he handed out 74 penalties and 23 six agains (it felt like that many anyway). I've never seen a ref as 'on edge' as that ready for the next decision. He looked to be almost shaking with excitement.
Phuzzy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5213
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200617 years127th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thompson charged : Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:02 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
Not sure what it is for but at least there is no ban. I'm surprised that James Vella missed anything, given that he handed out 74 penalties and 23 six agains (it felt like that many anyway). I've never seen a ref as 'on edge' as that ready for the next decision. He looked to be almost shaking with excitement.

I'm not one for bagging refs too much but Jeez, he was bad! So much so that in the end I was actually shouting at the TV for decisions we got I was so peed off with the sound of his whistle! :lol:
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15717
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20 200519 years95th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 20:4923rd Apr 24 06:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"BOHICA"

Re: Thompson charged : Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:15 pm  
Phuzzy wrote:
I'm not one for bagging refs too much but Jeez, he was bad! So much so that in the end I was actually shouting at the TV for decisions we got I was so peed off with the sound of his whistle! :lol:

One of the worst ive seen for a long time
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15185No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 14 200618 years195th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 09:1724th Apr 24 11:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thompson charged : Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:18 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:

If I'm honest, I thought he kept London in the game in the first half.

I'm not saying they didn't take their tries well or that we weren't at fault defensively when they scored, but I thought he gifted them yards and yards of territory they hadn't earned. And he did it time and again.

It was a wipeout in the end, but I feel sure that we'd have got to that a lot earlier with a referee who didn't feel the need to keep blowing up.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thompson charged : Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:32 pm  
Cruncher wrote:
If I'm honest, I thought he kept London in the game in the first half.

I'm not saying they didn't take their tries well or that we weren't at fault defensively when they scored, but I thought he gifted them yards and yards of territory they hadn't earned. And he did it time and again.

It was a wipeout in the end, but I feel sure that we'd have got to that a lot earlier with a referee who didn't feel the need to keep blowing up.

I saw him ref a game a couple of weeks ago and I thought he did well but he just looked on edge on Saturday and so eager to make decisions, be that penalties, six agains or whatever. I was sat in line with the Mago ‘try’ in the first half and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it but he seemed loathed to use the screen early on. I got told he’d called held on it but I can’t hear him say that on the replay, I can just hear the commentators saying he gave a penalty against Mago because the tackle was complete but if he doesn’t call it and Mago was moving all the time, with the ball up, how can’t he turn it down?
Phuzzy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5213
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200617 years127th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thompson charged : Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:38 am  
NickyKiss wrote:
I saw him ref a game a couple of weeks ago and I thought he did well but he just looked on edge on Saturday and so eager to make decisions, be that penalties, six agains or whatever. I was sat in line with the Mago ‘try’ in the first half and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it but he seemed loathed to use the screen early on. I got told he’d called held on it but I can’t hear him say that on the replay, I can just hear the commentators saying he gave a penalty against Mago because the tackle was complete but if he doesn’t call it and Mago was moving all the time, with the ball up, how can’t he turn it down?

It's almost as bad if he called held anyway NK as that would mean he called held while the player was still moving and the ball clearly still in play.

I couldn't make the game but I was messaging a couple of mates who we normally go to the games with and they had no idea what he was blowing for half the time. Even with the assistance of commentary on TV it was unfathomable. As you say, everyone was giving different reasons for the supposed infringement. Some of the "not squares" and "incorrect play the balls" were laughable. It's a bit of a cliche but it seemed like he'd make his mind up to give a penalty in advance and then fabricate a reason to justify it. It seemed like barely a set of six completed without some intervention from the ref.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3870
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years113th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 11:3027th Apr 24 11:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Thompson charged : Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:10 am  
I said a few posts earlier that it's especially important to call the refs out after such a big win. It then can't be brushed away as sour grapes, or a dummy spit after a continuous loss. Instead it's highlighting, what I believe, is the biggest issue in our sport. The refs and judiciary are absolute t0ssers.

I'm already seeing our so called lack of "discipline" being used a stick to beat the club with. The Wigan Today jouro (McAllister?) included it within an article on things we need to work on. How can you work on the Mago no try? How can you work on not being square, when in fact you actually are? How can you work on not giving a pen away in the tackle when the opposition has a second player in the ruck and he's on top of you?

Every week of this season they've dropped the ball in some kind of way. People will say that it evens itself out & it probably has with the WCC. Is that right tho? Is it really something that we should just accept?
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thompson charged : Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:13 am  
Phuzzy wrote:
It's almost as bad if he called held anyway NK as that would mean he called held while the player was still moving and the ball clearly still in play.

I couldn't make the game but I was messaging a couple of mates who we normally go to the games with and they had no idea what he was blowing for half the time. Even with the assistance of commentary on TV it was unfathomable. As you say, everyone was giving different reasons for the supposed infringement. Some of the "not squares" and "incorrect play the balls" were laughable. It's a bit of a cliche but it seemed like he'd make his mind up to give a penalty in advance and then fabricate a reason to justify it. It seemed like barely a set of six completed without some intervention from the ref.

I considered just going having a beer behind the stand in the first half because I couldn't be bothered watching him anymore.

One thing I will say though, is that every ref has battered us so far, so we probably need to do better ourselves. We're right up near the top of the penalties conceded table yet we've played a game less. I think we're averaging about 10 per game and that is far too high, even if the refs are in that mode of testing out the new whistles they got for Christmas.

It at least goes against the old line that the best teams get all the calls. It's worlds away from the days of Leeds conceding a couple of penalties a game and the refs apologising to Peacock and Sinfield when handing them out.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15185No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 14 200618 years195th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 09:1724th Apr 24 11:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thompson charged : Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:20 am  
sergeant pepper wrote:
I said a few posts earlier that it's especially important to call the refs out after such a big win. It then can't be brushed away as sour grapes, or a dummy spit after a continuous loss. Instead it's highlighting, what I believe, is the biggest issue in our sport. The refs and judiciary are absolute t0ssers.

I'm already seeing our so called lack of "discipline" being used a stick to beat the club with. The Wigan Today jouro (McAllister?) included it within an article on things we need to work on. How can you work on the Mago no try? How can you work on not being square, when in fact you actually are? How can you work on not giving a pen away in the tackle when the opposition has a second player in the ruck and he's on top of you?

Every week of this season they've dropped the ball in some kind of way. People will say that it evens itself out & it probably has with the WCC. Is that right tho? Is it really something that we should just accept?

I find it a bit suspicious that while we seem to have worked on tackling technique, trying to bring our shots down onto the body rather than up around the shoulders, we are suddenly getting pinged for lots of technicals. I'm not saying that referees are bent, but some of them just can't seem to let the game flow.

There are certain things that really need to change. The levelling up of penalty counts, etc. If a referee wants to know what the penalty count is, he should keep it himself ... and not ask for it from some stats man. Why does he even to know? If he's doing his job properly, it's irrelevant what the penalty count is.
Next