JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 05 20159 years210th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 21:2510th May 24 21:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Salford away : Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:39 pm  
That "removing the jeopardy" thing in the NRL is completely unnecessary. Clubs were already going for short drop-outs last season, and that worked fine. No need to encourage them further by making it even less risky for the defending side.
RankPostsTeam
New Signing61No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 28 20230 years307th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 15:437th May 24 07:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Salford away : Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:14 pm  
NSW wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nofaluma should have caught it!

i've watched the full match back this morning on Warriors tv and the focussed quite a bit post match on this and Sneyd's reaction

The play was for Watkins (i think was the inside player) to catch / pat back and the winger (hang back) to then take the ball or worst case be in a defensive position to stop Wigan from scoring. As he jumped and challenged for the ball, he was out of position and thus a walk in for Wardle

how, all of Tomkins, Wilkins and Carney though the short kick off was the wrong choice at that point in the game, but equally were of the mind that Nofaluma played the play wrong, and not Sneyd
Lazy J 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner517No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 09 200321 years312th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th May 24 11:1118th Mar 24 16:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Ashvegas a one horse town, where they shot the horse!
Signature
Leigh....They still point at planes!

Re: Salford away : Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:37 pm  
Mark_P1973 wrote:

The play was for Watkins (i think was the inside player) to catch / pat back and the winger (hang back) to then take the ball or worst case be in a defensive position to stop Wigan from scoring. As he jumped and challenged for the ball, he was out of position and thus a walk in for Wardle

how, all of Tomkins, Wilkins and Carney though the short kick off was the wrong choice at that point in the game, but equally were of the mind that Nofaluma played the play wrong, and not Sneyd

That's just a play with cockup written all over it, had Watkins patted it back and he winger was in position he could have knocked on, Watkins could have knocked on, the winger could have been taken into touch. The logical play is get the ball as far away from the tryline asd possible and hunt a mistake.
RankPostsTeam
New Signing61No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 28 20230 years307th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Salford away : Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:07 pm  
Lazy J wrote:
That's just a play with cockup written all over it, had Watkins patted it back and he winger was in position he could have knocked on, Watkins could have knocked on, the winger could have been taken into touch. The logical play is get the ball as far away from the tryline asd possible and hunt a mistake.

True, its probably a 1 in 100 success rate, but most likely you are chasing the game that you would try that play

you are 2 points in front with 5 left on the clock is not the time for it, i think most would agree. Launch the bugger as far as you can, it was wet, so possibility of a Wigan knock on, plus we'd have been 40-50m away from Salfords line

What i did like though, was Rowley's post match interview. He knew they'd blown the win, but was also very measured and didnt chuck Sneyd under the bus in front of the tv camera's. He's a class coach and has that Salford side playing some good rugby.
jonh 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20177No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 27 200321 years46th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 08:0510th May 24 20:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Signature
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.

Re: Salford away : Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:34 am  
Mark_P1973 wrote:
True, its probably a 1 in 100 success rate, but most likely you are chasing the game that you would try that play

you are 2 points in front with 5 left on the clock is not the time for it, i think most would agree. Launch the bugger as far as you can, it was wet, so possibility of a Wigan knock on, plus we'd have been 40-50m away from Salfords line

What i did like though, was Rowley's post match interview. He knew they'd blown the win, but was also very measured and didnt chuck Sneyd under the bus in front of the tv camera's. He's a class coach and has that Salford side playing some good rugby.

Personally think it was a good call and I don’t think it was Sneyd’s fault as the execution of the kick was outstanding.

I’m sure it was MacDonald and Nofauluma chasing, and they failed to communicate. 1 should have gone up for it the other hung back. Not only did they leave nobody home they also got in each others way that were it a 1 on 1 they should have been favourites for.

If they had gone long they are still defending the first tackle in their own half. With the level of strike we have a break usually results in a try from inside the opposition half and with the urgency and change of strike tactics once Smith was yellow carded (which I think was positive for us as it forced French link the game ball in hand) I believe we score if we get the ball back.

Lack of communication in my opinion cost Salford that try not the tactic.
RankPostsTeam
New Signing61No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 28 20230 years307th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Salford away : Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:39 am  
jonh wrote:
Personally think it was a good call and I don’t think it was Sneyd’s fault as the execution of the kick was outstanding.

I’m sure it was MacDonald and Nofauluma chasing, and they failed to communicate. 1 should have gone up for it the other hung back. Not only did they leave nobody home they also got in each others way that were it a 1 on 1 they should have been favourites for.

If they had gone long they are still defending the first tackle in their own half. With the level of strike we have a break usually results in a try from inside the opposition half and with the urgency and change of strike tactics once Smith was yellow carded (which I think was positive for us as it forced French link the game ball in hand) I believe we score if we get the ball back.

agree, re the execution and i think it was my earlier post that i said something very similar, in that both winger and centre went for the ball, instead of winger hanging back for the pat back or worst case, he's set defensively. From a Wigan perspective it fell perfectly to Wardle with no-one to beat :)

however, you can still see the argument for both the short and long kick. Normally the short kick off is when you are chasing the game, as its higher risk and you need the ball back. Kick long, and yes, whilst you are still defending, you are 40-50m up the pitch and have a better chance of keeping Wigan out that 5 tackles within 10m
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7740
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years83rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 21:398th May 24 16:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Signature
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!

"The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth."

Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club

Re: Salford away : Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:11 am  
jonh wrote:

See NSW
There is someone else who's wrong (unless Jonh is being sarcastic as well) :wink:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach301
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 21 200519 years287th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 15:0315th Apr 24 14:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Salford away : Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:14 am  
With a narrow lead and the clock on your side you do NOT go for a short drop out, it's absolute madness to even contemplate it, let's face it, we were not firing on all cylinders in the game so why would you as a Salford player suddenly think that everything is going to click in the last few minutes, you go long and back yourself in defence.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7740
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years83rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 21:398th May 24 16:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Signature
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!

"The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth."

Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club

Re: Salford away : Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:15 pm  
Correct

And to jonh
You say you think Wigan would have scored if they'd got the ball back from a long drop out???

They'd already defended 2 x sets against 12 men and numerous others since the 45th minute, why not the next one starting from 40 out?

What was going to happen if they did get ball back, they'd already been shoved over the line from a 10m ptb 30 seconds earlier, who's to say that wouldn't have happened again?
And, if they did get to say the 30mtr or so they were only going to kick it back to Wigan anyway? And by your logic they wouldn't have defended that set as at least 3 or 4 of those ptb's would bebin their own half?????
Bearing in mind there was enough time for another Wigan set after that as well !!!!!

Imagine if instead of that being a drop out it was a kick off and Wigan were 2 behind. Would you want Sneyd kick short then or boot it as far as possible and keep Wigan in their 10?
Using your logic you'd go short and try and get ball back???
Madness!

I'm not decrying short kick offs, but there's a time and a place and 4mins left, 2 points up, drop out from under your owner sticks was not the time nor the place.
jonh 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20177No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 27 200321 years46th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 08:0510th May 24 20:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Signature
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.

Re: Salford away : Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:09 pm  
Jukesays wrote:
Correct

And to jonh
You say you think Wigan would have scored if they'd got the ball back from a long drop out???

They'd already defended 2 x sets against 12 men and numerous others since the 45th minute, why not the next one starting from 40 out?

What was going to happen if they did get ball back, they'd already been shoved over the line from a 10m ptb 30 seconds earlier, who's to say that wouldn't have happened again?
And, if they did get to say the 30mtr or so they were only going to kick it back to Wigan anyway? And by your logic they wouldn't have defended that set as at least 3 or 4 of those ptb's would bebin their own half?????
Bearing in mind there was enough time for another Wigan set after that as well !!!!!

Imagine if instead of that being a drop out it was a kick off and Wigan were 2 behind. Would you want Sneyd kick short then or boot it as far as possible and keep Wigan in their 10?
Using your logic you'd go short and try and get ball back???
Madness!

I'm not decrying short kick offs, but there's a time and a place and 4mins left, 2 points up, drop out from under your owner sticks was not the time nor the place.

Will agree to disagree.

9 times out of 10 I expect outside backs to get over the top of Farrell in a high ball situation when he is static and they are running towards the ball.

In fact both got over him on this occasion they just messed it up by getting in each others way.

Salford were creaking big time.

They needed the ball.

All the momentum was with us.

We played terrible rugby with Smith on the field. Our tactics were far too conservative. We were making much more threatening plays with him off.

I believe we score if he goes long.

I think they get the ball back if only 1 player goes up for it instead of 2 and we get ball back with 90 seconds less on her clock and in our own 30.
PreviousNext