FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Chatting Football
::A forum for the discussion of sports other than Rugby League.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member19907No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 05 200222 years337th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Oct 24 09:0815th Oct 18 19:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Didn't William Webb Ellis pick up the ball and run, someone should really tell Rugby Union.

www.squadbuilder.co.uk

: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:09 am  
Enfield Exile wrote:
IMO he can only play as a trequartista. If he is going to play the No10 position next season, then who will play upfront. Can Keane or Defoe play as the striker in that formation? Can Redknapp afford to have Keane and Defoe on at the same time?

If Defoe and/or keane are not going to start games, they are going to be brassed off as they both disliked the fact that they were often (Keane) or occasionally (Defoe) a substitute.

I don't see why Keane and Defoe won't play togehter. Defoe is obviously an out-and-out striker, Keane less so. Don't forget when Keane first turned up at Wolves, he was a front man pure and simple, he has added to his game as the years have passed.

Bent is the odd man out and for whatever reason I don't see Redknapp keeping Pavlyuchenko.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6290No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 27 200520 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Jan 14 15:541st Jan 70 00:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
getdownmonkeyman wrote:
You need to move on from here. SS has replaced you, he gets this debating/conversing lark far, far better.

: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:41 am  
Enfield Exile wrote:
TBH he rarely tackles an opposition player without a giving away a free-kick. Sometimes just getting in the way and being goal-side is enough.

That is absolute rubbish. All defensive minded midfielders are going to give free kicks away, if you can't see that then debate isn't possible.

Lennon has had a good three or four months. I have always liked him, although his final ball has worsened as he has got older. The main reason why he is playing well is because Redknapp is getting him to play to his strengths. Previously Jol (in his last season) and Ramos were encouraging him to go inside the full-back (probably because his final ball wasn’t great), and he was nowhere near as effective.

Lennon has never been able to provide a decent final ball consistently, its his biggest letdown. I agree that he is obviously being told to make the byline more, however the last month or so his involvement is clearly more and his final ball has shown improvement. His improvement for me is being given the ball in space more, basically because of Modric doing so.

When his upturn in good form started, he was playing against weaker teams. However, since he now has an insurance in midfield, he is performing well against the better teams. He was a bit disappointing on Saturday but at least his ‘form’ put off Cashley from going forward. TBH apart from the collective defensive unit of Spurs, and Gomes, no-one played particularly well.

Didn't play particularly well yet beat 3rd in the league a week after beating 4th in the league away from home ? I'm happy with that.

Regarding Modric’s form for club sides: Are you talking about his performances in the not too respectable Croatian league? He also hasn’t broken many pots at international level either, and he hardly set alight the Champs League. He would be better suited to a less physical and slower-paced league.

I seem to recall him having a good International tournament, either the World Cup or Euros, can't remember which. At the end of the day, there are reasons as to why he went for such a high price and was in demand. Thats all because he is a classy footballer. Its up to Tottenham to give him the ball in good positions and let him control the game. That depends on being solid defensively (which the arrival of Palacios has helped hugely) and feeding Modric early ball (which started to happen, coincidentally just as our form has improved).

I think Spurs are helped at the moment by the fact that they have had plenty of luck with injuries (full squad, bar two players available for the last month or so). Hutton hasn’t been avalable but then I think Corluka is far better. The Croation can defend, has great technique and has an end product. The other missing player is Defoe. That may be a blessing in disguise for Spurs as I don’t think he could fit into the same as Modric and Keane.

Spurs have had Hutton out all year and Defoe only signed in January. Now prior to January we never had either of these to play yet we were still performing poorly. Our upturn in form has nothing to do with injuries. We beat a nigh on full strength Villa and Chelsea side in the past 2 weeks.

I am not sure how Redknapp will play Defoe and Keane, time will tell.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach9046No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 19 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Sep 17 20:4125th Sep 17 20:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
[img]//www.cantstopthebleeding.com/img/malcolm_glazer.jpg[/img]

Thank you, Malc

: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:07 pm  
Stirlingshire Saint wrote:
That is absolute rubbish. All defensive minded midfielders are going to give free kicks away, if you can't see that then debate isn't possible.

Now, now...

Not at all. Sometimes it is okay to give away a free-kick. The best know when to do this. Palacios just just bundles in. He also goes to ground far too easily. Not a good idea if you are defending against a team who are hitting you on the break.

Lennon has never been able to provide a decent final ball consistently, its his biggest letdown. I agree that he is obviously being told to make the byline more, however the last month or so his involvement is clearly more and his final ball has shown improvement. His improvement for me is being given the ball in space more, basically because of Modric doing so.

I cannot see how Lennon has improved because of Modric. Modric has had about 4 or 5 decent games this season - all recently. Lennon has played well on at least 15 occasions, with our without Modric on the pitch.

idn't play particularly well yet beat 3rd in the league a week after beating 4th in the league away from home ? I'm happy with that.

Your defence won you the game. They played very, very well as a unit. I didn't say the team played badly, I said that no players in particular stood out. A big difference.

I seem to recall him having a good International tournament, either the World Cup or Euros, can't remember which.

I remember watching the Euros, and opinion was split on him. Some felt he was anonymous. I thought he was poor.

At the end of the day, there are reasons as to why he went for such a high price and was in demand. Thats all because he is a classy footballer.

I still think that his ability has been exaggerated, mainly through hype. Don't forget that some players have gone for very high fees, Lee Bradbury and Mattius Vuoso being good examples.

[quote] Spurs have had Hutton out all year and Defoe only signed in January. Now prior to January we never had either of these to play yet we were still performing poorly. Our upturn in form has nothing to do with injuries. We beat a nigh on full strength Villa and Chelsea side in the past 2 weeks.

You have brought new players and these have been available for pretty much every game, just as the vast majority of the other players in the squad have been. Your lack of injuries has helped you greatly. I'd be surprised if you ever have another season with so many players free of injury. At this time of the season, teams are struggling to put out strong and fit teams.

I obviously know City's injury situation better than any other clubs, and I don't think we have had more than 7 of our strongest 11 on the pitch at the same time this season. Arsenal have suffered too. There's no way Surs would be near to the top half if they had suffered with injuries as badly as

I have to say that I am surprised to see you happy with 11th, even though Spurs have one of the most expensively assembled squads in world football.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach9046No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 19 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Thank you, Malc

: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:17 pm  
getdownmonkeyman wrote:
I don't see why Keane and Defoe won't play togehter. Defoe is obviously an out-and-out striker, Keane less so.

All Spurs fans I know, state that Keane and Defoe, cannot work together. They have seen it before. Two midgets upfront will get eaten alive in this league. I just cannot see an attack that lacks physical presence and aerial threat being successful. Spurs wouldn't have an out-ball with those playing together.

I have seen it with City for a while now, without a presence upfront, you will struggle. We are the prime example of that.

Don't forget when Keane first turned up at Wolves, he was a front man pure and simple, he has added to his game as the years have passed.

I like Keane but IMO he's not a No10. I would think that Benitez has the same opinion. The further Keane is away from goal, the less effective he becomes as a player.

Bent is the odd man out and for whatever reason I don't see Redknapp keeping Pavlyuchenko

It depends what he wants from a front man. I think Bent has talent (somewhere) but for me the Russian doesn't appear to know what he is doing. He's like a headless chicken.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6038No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 10 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Mar 17 10:5527th Feb 17 17:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:20 pm  
Enfield Exile wrote:
. He's like a headless chicken.

When did Gelson Fernandes sign for Spurs? Or become Russian?
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach18736No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 28 200619 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Nov 13 19:401st Jan 13 01:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
:CROWN: RLFans.com Soccer Prediction League Champion 2011/2012 :CROWN:

The Christie - please donate

Greatest headline ever?

: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:02 pm  
In this morning's paper;

Barça, Madrid and Liverpool all looking to sign Palmeiras' Keirrison. He's being touted as the new Romario in Brazil. He'd cost around €15m.

If Florentino Perez wins re-election as President of Real Madrid he'll launch a €40m bid for Karim Benzema this summer.
Either way Rafael Van der Vaart is on his way out of the Bernabeu with Chelsea very keen on the Dutchman.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach9046No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 19 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Thank you, Malc

: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:11 pm  
Cibaman wrote:
When did Gelson Fernandes sign for Spurs? Or become Russian?

Fernandes is a headless chicken but WTF does he have to do with who Spurs choose as the leading striker(s)?
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6038No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 10 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Mar 17 10:5527th Feb 17 17:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:15 pm  
Enfield Exile wrote:
Fernandes is a headless chicken but WTF does he have to do with who Spurs choose as the leading striker(s)?

Fernandes is THE headless chicken. All other comparisons with headless chickens are pale imitations.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6290No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 27 200520 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Jan 14 15:541st Jan 70 00:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
getdownmonkeyman wrote:
You need to move on from here. SS has replaced you, he gets this debating/conversing lark far, far better.

: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:00 pm  
Enfield Exile wrote:
Not at all. Sometimes it is okay to give away a free-kick. The best know when to do this. Palacios just just bundles in. He also goes to ground far too easily. Not a good idea if you are defending against a team who are hitting you on the break.

He just 'bundles in', 'goes to ground so easily' and gives free kicks away all the time but at the same time you have said yourself he is a major factor in our improvement ? Make your mind up.

FWIW I'd like to see the amount of free kicks he has given away, I'd suggest it isn't a big percentage at all. He is a key player already who wins the ball and gives it to someone creative immediately. Looks a fine signing for me, mightily impressed with him, as I said earlier hes a player Tottenham have not had for approximately 10 years or so.

I cannot see how Lennon has improved because of Modric. Modric has had about 4 or 5 decent games this season - all recently. Lennon has played well on at least 15 occasions, with our without Modric on the pitch.

I never said simply because of Modric. I said Lennon is getting the ball in more space now and much of that comes from Modric. Also, Lennon is using the ball better. I also don't for one moment think Lennon has played well 15 times this season.

Your defence won you the game. They played very, very well as a unit. I didn't say the team played badly, I said that no players in particular stood out. A big difference.

Chelsea were not in the game until the last 15 minutes. The last 15 minutes our defence was outstanding, prior to that we should have been leading at HT.

You have brought new players and these have been available for pretty much every game, just as the vast majority of the other players in the squad have been. Your lack of injuries has helped you greatly. I'd be surprised if you ever have another season with so many players free of injury. At this time of the season, teams are struggling to put out strong and fit teams.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that the fact the same players who have been fit all season playing garbage are now playing well because they aren't injured ? With the exception of Palacios and Keane its the same players playing well who were poor all year with the same amount of injuries. The upturn in form is because of a number of factors. It isn't rocket science to say a lack of injuries has helped, a lack of injuries helps any side, its bloody obvious.

I obviously know City's injury situation better than any other clubs, and I don't think we have had more than 7 of our strongest 11 on the pitch at the same time this season. Arsenal have suffered too. There's no way Surs would be near to the top half if they had suffered with injuries as badly as

There is no way we should be anywhere near the bottom half anyway. A pathetic start to the season is the only reason we were there.

I have to say that I am surprised to see you happy with 11th, even though Spurs have one of the most expensively assembled squads in world football.

Where did I say I am happy with 11th in the league ?
mutt1 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member15284No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 16 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Jul 12 13:5631st Dec 11 22:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
in the arsehole of the northwest that is Leigh
Signature
//www.myspace.com/muttly12
Reg wrote:
I'll tell you what pressure is.
"Grand final, only seconds to go, and a field goal attempt with a split testicle and your shoes on the wrong feet."

He's neck scars proves he's lost his head Tevez, Tevez
He'll never have a sexy bird Tevez, Tevez
The argy lover, the ugly ****, they sewn his head on back to front
Carlos Tevez, herman munster head.

: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:50 pm  
Not sure if this has been on before but see how the premiership race will unfold. Ten of us at work have done it today and all ended up with Manchester united as champions (even the two Liverpool fans) with Newcastle one of the teams heading for the drop, our token city fan has us winning it by 12 points. :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... efault.stm
Not sure if this has been on before but see how the premiership race will unfold. Ten of us at work have done it today and all ended up with Manchester united as champions (even the two Liverpool fans) with Newcastle one of the teams heading for the drop, our token city fan has us winning it by 12 points. :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... efault.stm
PreviousNext