Board index Other Forums Other Sports Super Cricket: WI v ENG ODI's



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:31 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:32 am
Posts: 28186
Location: A world of my own ...
Stirlingshire Saint wrote:Don't get me wrong, so do I. Hes an example as to what a player can achieve with limited ability.


Why do only players with limited ability have to work hard and keep their heads down? If Pietersen had Collingwood's attitude and work ethic imagine how good he could be.






"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin

//twitter.com/AndyGilder

//fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk

This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:18 pm 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:01 pm
Posts: 6290
Andy Gilder wrote:Why do only players with limited ability have to work hard and keep their heads down? If Pietersen had Collingwood's attitude and work ethic imagine how good he could be.


Agreed.

Rather than averaging in the high 50s, he could average in the 60s or even 70s. The mind boggles really.






getdownmonkeyman wrote:You need to move on from here. SS has replaced you, he gets this debating/conversing lark far, far better.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:44 pm 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:04 pm
Posts: 9364
Location: LDZ
Andy Gilder wrote:Why do only players with limited ability have to work hard and keep their heads down? If Pietersen had Collingwood's attitude and work ethic imagine how good he could be.


Another good point.






YEAH LIKE WHATEVER!
TEAM UP! TEAM UP!

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:20 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:43 pm
Posts: 11532
Location: The Cloth Capped North
airliebird9 wrote:Infact do you understand cricket at all??


Yes, that's it. I disagree with you therefore I don't understand the game of cricket at all. Jesus wept.

Averages are all well and good, but they don't tell the whole story. The fact of the matter is that he's currently out of form, complaining about being tired and waffling on in the press about opposition batsmen rather than concentrating on getting his own performances back to scratch. I'm not advocating dropping him permanently, I'm not actually advocating dropping him from the Test side (why do people keep mentioning that, haven't they realised this argument, from me anyway, is based on the ODIs?!) I just think, for his own good and for ours, he should be told "fine, you're tired? Here, have a rest for a bit, we'll pick someone else, you go back home and work on your game for a bit." Then, when it seems like the time is right, bring him back in.

No one's bigger than the team. If he needs to be made an example of to ensure he picks himself up and, as has been said, works hard and becomes as good as he can be... Then surely, in the long run, it's worth it?






Jeb End Reds

SUPPORT FOREVER REDS - THE SALFORD CITY REDS SUPPORTERS' TRUST

MUFC ~ FCUM ~ SRLFC ~ LCCC

My Blog ~ My Flickr

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:38 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:17 am
Posts: 4787
Location: Everywhere
GT wrote:Yes, that's it. I disagree with you therefore I don't understand the game of cricket at all. Jesus wept.

Averages are all well and good, but they don't tell the whole story. The fact of the matter is that he's currently out of form, complaining about being tired and waffling on in the press about opposition batsmen rather than concentrating on getting his own performances back to scratch. I'm not advocating dropping him permanently, I'm not actually advocating dropping him from the Test side (why do people keep mentioning that, haven't they realised this argument, from me anyway, is based on the ODIs?!) I just think, for his own good and for ours, he should be told "fine, you're tired? Here, have a rest for a bit, we'll pick someone else, you go back home and work on your game for a bit." Then, when it seems like the time is right, bring him back in.

No one's bigger than the team. If he needs to be made an example of to ensure he picks himself up and, as has been said, works hard and becomes as good as he can be... Then surely, in the long run, it's worth it?



You said....

'You can't keep carrying inconsistent players because you reckon they can win a match every now and then out of nothing.'

Cricketing greats with bat and ball are generally judged on stats. Averages are part of these stats. By the very nature of the game of cricket every batsman and every bowler are inconsistent that is why averages are used.

I agree KP's performance in this particular ODI series has been poor by his own high standards. However he has batted 3 times so far this series scoring only 32 runs, should he hit an unbeaten 100 in the last game then his average for the series would then be at least 44.....






OLD FAITHFUL PAL OF MINE

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:04 pm 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:01 pm
Posts: 6290
GT wrote:Yes, that's it. I disagree with you therefore I don't understand the game of cricket at all. Jesus wept.

Averages are all well and good, but they don't tell the whole story. The fact of the matter is that he's currently out of form, complaining about being tired and waffling on in the press about opposition batsmen rather than concentrating on getting his own performances back to scratch. I'm not advocating dropping him permanently, I'm not actually advocating dropping him from the Test side (why do people keep mentioning that, haven't they realised this argument, from me anyway, is based on the ODIs?!) I just think, for his own good and for ours, he should be told "fine, you're tired? Here, have a rest for a bit, we'll pick someone else, you go back home and work on your game for a bit." Then, when it seems like the time is right, bring him back in.

No one's bigger than the team. If he needs to be made an example of to ensure he picks himself up and, as has been said, works hard and becomes as good as he can be... Then surely, in the long run, it's worth it?


Sorry chap but I disagree with you fully.

I don't agree with what Pietersen has said on this tour and agree that he seems to be a bit of a whiner, he clearly has found this tour difficult.

Having said that, England aren't particularly blessed in the ODI arena. Our captain wouldn't even be playing in this ODI series if the ECB had any bolloxx. To drop our best ODI batsman would be criminal for me. There is one game to go and its just like Pietersen to go out and hit 100, similarly he may be out for 10 going for a silly shot but even so he is far too important to the England side.






getdownmonkeyman wrote:You need to move on from here. SS has replaced you, he gets this debating/conversing lark far, far better.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:30 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:32 am
Posts: 28186
Location: A world of my own ...
Apparently in the wacky world of KP, it's ok to ask to go home for 48 hours (so in reality once you factor in flights, time difference etc more like 4 days) in the middle of a tour because you're missing the wife and you're homesick.

Once you get home and have had a week together, it's then ok to fly off to South Africa for a fortnight and leave her again to "challenge yourself".

He really does need to start getting his story straight if he's going to keep whining to the press.






"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin

//twitter.com/AndyGilder

//fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk

This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:46 pm 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:39 pm
Posts: 2776
Location: Staffordshire & East Hull
5th and Final ODI tonight

Eng 09/2 (17 overs)

Match reduced to 29 overs.

Pietersen caught out by a ball that was clearly dropped onto the ground by the fielder.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:51 pm 
100% League Network
100% League Network
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:25 am
Posts: 36784
Location: Leafy Worcester, home of the Black Pear
tiger2000 wrote:Pietersen caught out by a ball that was clearly dropped onto the ground by the fielder.

And he knew it.

Can't recall the last time I saw such a blatant piece of out-and-out cheating in a game TBH.

Quite why the umpire didn't refer it is beyond me as well.






Hold on to me baby, his bony hands will do you no harm
It said in the cards, we lost our souls to the Nameless One

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:11 pm 
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:45 am
Posts: 1771
Location: A place of settlement, activity, or residence (Leeds)
Kosh wrote:And he knew it.

Can't recall the last time I saw such a blatant piece of out-and-out cheating in a game TBH.

Quite why the umpire didn't refer it is beyond me as well.


WIndies have always been cheats, still never forgiven Bravo for claiming a catch he clearly dropped a couple of years ago.






LARRY DAVID "We're told the customer is always right when in fact the customer is usually a moron and an a**hole"

It annoys me "when people don't follow societies unwritten rules"

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next





It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:23 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:23 am
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,983,9091,62377,9044,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 31st Jan 19:30
 CH
DEWSBURY RAMS
v
LEIGH
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
SALFORD
Sat 1st Feb 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sat 1st Feb 19:30
 CH
TOULOUSE
v
YORK
Sun 2nd Feb 14:30
SL
TORONTO
v
CASTLEFORD
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BATLEY BULLDOGS
v
FEATHERSTONE
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BRADFORD BULLS
v
LONDON BRONCOS
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
HALIFAX
v
SHEFFIELD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





30

.