Board index Other Forums Other Sports Is there anything more boring than American Football?



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Is there anything more boring than American Football?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:12 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:41 pm
Posts: 28736
Location: Home of the Mighty Widnes Vikings
Simple question.

And out of the one billion viewers they claim is watching their annual adfest, how many zeroes do you have to remove before you get to the truth?






@chemical_viking

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:23 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:21 pm
Posts: 10025
Rugby Union?

Our kids gets right in to it and loves to jump on the bandwagon, I have to remind him he's in Pontefract not Pennsylvania and that deeeefence and offence is defence and attack.

Sad ar$e will be glued to it with a tray of burgers, bucket of popcorn, dustbin of pepsi and a foam hand to wave.

Watched a bit of it earlier, not enough tries for my liking.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:33 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:41 pm
Posts: 28736
Location: Home of the Mighty Widnes Vikings
-DAZ- wrote:Rugby Union?

Our kids gets right in to it and loves to jump on the bandwagon, I have to remind him he's in Pontefract not Pennsylvania and that deeeefence and offence is defence and attack.

Sad ar$e will be glued to it with a tray of burgers, bucket of popcorn, dustbin of pepsi and a foam hand to wave.

Watched a bit of it earlier, not enough tries for my liking.


It just seems to be loads of hype and no payoff at all. I've given it a go, I really have, it's just....boring. There seems to be as much discussion year after year online about the half time adverts (!) and the half time show as the match.

Perhaps its just a cultural thing, it probably is but I can't for the life of me understand why they build a whole mystique around this instead of some other sporting occasion.

They even call the winners the "world champions". There's only one world champions of football, and they'll not likely be american in my lifetime!






@chemical_viking

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:40 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:21 pm
Posts: 10025
Chris Dalton wrote:It just seems to be loads of hype and no payoff at all. I've given it a go, I really have, it's just....boring. There seems to be as much discussion year after year online about the half time adverts (!) and the half time show as the match.

Perhaps its just a cultural thing, it probably is but I can't for the life of me understand why they build a whole mystique around this instead of some other sporting occasion.

They even call the winners the "world champions". There's only one world champions of football, and they'll not likely be american in my lifetime!


I think it's the whole event and razzmatazz thing, Americans like to overstate and overhype a tad and it's probably quite infectious judging by the amount of Brits who are (well claim to be) interested and fans of it. :D

Like you I just don't get it at all, but if others enjoy it then fair play.

Bruce Springsteen's turn was good though.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:56 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:41 pm
Posts: 28736
Location: Home of the Mighty Widnes Vikings
-DAZ- wrote:Bruce Springsteen's turn was good though.


It was always going to be the highlight!






@chemical_viking

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:09 am 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:05 am
Posts: 8177
Location: Merseyside
It's up there with wrestling, if you can call that a sport.

I've yet to understand why anyone would want to watch the borefest that is American football just in the same way I can't understand how anyone over the age of 12 would even consider watching wrestling.






Bob Paisley wrote:A lot of teams beat us, do a lap of honour and don't stop running. They live too long on one good result. I remember Jimmy Adamson crowing after Burnley had beaten us once and that his players were in a different league. At the end of the season they were.


WireFanatic II wrote:Why, if it isn't Catalancs, RLFANS answer to a question no-one asked!

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:15 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:57 am
Posts: 13943
Location: On the cusp.....
Basketball. Pah!

The only semblance of excitement comes not when someone scores (because it's so frequent), but when someone misses the basket. The 'action' is literally end to end, ad nauseum.

Plus you have to be a physical freak to play the game properly.

Yawn.






Stand-Offish wrote:I am the personification of a mindless chav.

tb wrote:Yes, they employ poofreaders to check the typesetting.

Not as funny as I think I am
Not drowning, only waving.
Wish I'd said that, Oscar. You will, Billy, you will....

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:30 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 10:39 am
Posts: 31335
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Billy Banter wrote:Basketball. Pah!

The only semblance of excitement comes not when someone scores (because it's so frequent), but when someone misses the basket. The 'action' is literally end to end, ad nauseum.

Plus you have to be a physical freak to play the game properly.

Yawn.


Very good shout.






Image

Krasota, viara i borba

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:33 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:27 pm
Posts: 31920
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Don't like it, don't watch it. Simple as that.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:46 am 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:06 pm
Posts: 4354
Location: Hull
American Football is terrible but fishing, Golf, Horse Racing, Show Jumping, Basketball, Rugby Union are worse






FC TILL I DIE!
[quote="Neil HFC"]Hull Kingston Rovers - Pride of Hull FC's B Team.[/quote]
Hull City Kings of Yorkshire
1. Hull City
2. Middlesbrough
3. Barnsley
4. Doncaster
5. Leeds Utd
6. Sheff Wednesday
7. Sheff Utd
8. Huddersfield

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next





It is currently Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:32 am

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


It is currently Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:32 am
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,994,5751,65877,9444,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 31st Jan 19:30
 CH
DEWSBURY RAMS
v
LEIGH
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
SALFORD
Sat 1st Feb 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sat 1st Feb 19:30
 CH
TOULOUSE
v
YORK
Sun 2nd Feb 14:30
SL
TORONTO
v
CASTLEFORD
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BATLEY BULLDOGS
v
FEATHERSTONE
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BRADFORD BULLS
v
LONDON BRONCOS
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
HALIFAX
v
SHEFFIELD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





30

.