FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Hull Kingston Rovers 34 - 10 Hull FC LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Full Time.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - If you must discuss Union, do it here II
::A forum for the discussion of sports other than Rugby League.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 13 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Jun 15 02:4314th Feb 15 04:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
dally messenger wrote:
was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have

eels fan wrote:
You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.

Re: If you must discuss Union, do it here II : Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:09 pm  
JonB95 wrote:
5EDIT - how Saracens can get 40,000 people to pay to watch them is beyond me

36,503....that's how many people watched the London Broncos over 13 SL "home" games this year......sarries getting 41k is indicative of how BADLY the London RL club is run.......
JonB95 
RankPostsTeam
International Star1884No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 30 201113 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Jun 23 16:2510th Jul 22 07:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: If you must discuss Union, do it here II : Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:58 pm  
gutterfax wrote:
36,503....that's how many people watched the London Broncos over 13 SL "home" games this year......sarries getting 41k is indicative of how BADLY the London RL club is run.......

I do agree.. for a club with a small fan base Saracens have some great people marketing them.. Unlike Broncos. The potential is there.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 13 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Jun 15 02:4314th Feb 15 04:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
dally messenger wrote:
was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have

eels fan wrote:
You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.

Re: If you must discuss Union, do it here II : Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:39 pm  
JonB95 wrote:
I do agree.. for a club with a small fan base Saracens have some great people marketing them.. Unlike Broncos. The potential is there.

The Potential has always been there...........it's just the long line of unqualified people that have been tasked with running a RL club since 2006 that's the problem.

Paul Brown: RL man but had to retire early due to illness.
Keith Hogg: Sponsorship guy from Scottish and Newcastle no experience of running a sports club
Paul Blanchard: Cricketing background....left cricket to join RL, left HKA after 6 months.....left us to return to cricket.
Gus MacKay: Cricketing background.......over 2 seasons has nearly destroyed the club IMO.....even our shirts are made by a cricket manufacturer.... :roll:

We arrived at the stoop with a healthy 3,918 average that had just risen 13%.......the following year we got close to 5k.....THEREAFTER......it's dropped to 2,807...44% :shock:
Conroy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner12006No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 07 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Mar 19 10:3513th Oct 14 15:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
WIGAN RLFC

Re: If you must discuss Union, do it here II : Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:12 pm  
Sale are in deep doo doo it seems
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach654No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 17 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Feb 16 23:0118th Feb 16 22:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Wire exiled in Hampshire

Re: If you must discuss Union, do it here II : Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:49 am  
Conroy wrote:
Sale are in deep doo doo it seems

Indeed, only one point (a bonus point as well) and already shipped 163 points in 5 games.
RankPostsTeam
International Star215No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Dec 14 15:2021st Mar 14 14:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: If you must discuss Union, do it here II : Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:47 pm  
Urmston Wire wrote:
Indeed, only one point (a bonus point as well) and already shipped 163 points in 5 games.

Good. get them relegated. Get them out of competiton with Salford for the new stadium. They are like cuckoos in a nest.

If they go RU will not be able to claim national prominence. They will have no top tier prescence north of Worcester.
RankPostsTeam
International Star99No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 07 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Mar 13 01:1013th Oct 12 20:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: If you must discuss Union, do it here II : Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:06 pm  
Keighley. Enough said.

Really don't need to say any more than that. Ignore the trolls. Geography obviously isn't his strong point. Leicester being further north than Worcester. Also competition is a strong word. At the moment we're hardly stealing fans from them and most of our lot either don't like League or follow Wigan or Warrington.

Still, you might be a bit thick but you've reeled me in. Can't beat a spot of Sunday Fishing. Beats sitting at home I suppose. Fair play to you.

We are indeed in deep trouble.

We're in a relegation battle, there are no 2 ways about it. It's about time somebody from the club came out and made a statement. They're all too good at marketing themselves in the summer, talking about a shiny new stadium and getting the corporates in.

There is no leadership on the field, they all look lost. Already 21 points behind first and a lot of pundits had us to finish between 4th and 6th. Leicester at home next so looking at 6 loses from 6. Then we have the Heineken Cup so it could be a long Winter.

Still, Leeds, Doncaster and Rotherham will mean I don't have to set off at 7am for an away game.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach654No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 17 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Wire exiled in Hampshire

Re: If you must discuss Union, do it here II : Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:25 pm  
Shark J wrote:
Keighley. Enough said.

Really don't need to say any more than that. Ignore the trolls. Geography obviously isn't his strong point. Leicester being further north than Worcester. Also competition is a strong word. At the moment we're hardly stealing fans from them and most of our lot either don't like League or follow Wigan or Warrington.

Still, you might be a bit thick but you've reeled me in. Can't beat a spot of Sunday Fishing. Beats sitting at home I suppose. Fair play to you.

We are indeed in deep trouble.

We're in a relegation battle, there are no 2 ways about it. It's about time somebody from the club came out and made a statement. They're all too good at marketing themselves in the summer, talking about a shiny new stadium and getting the corporates in.

There is no leadership on the field, they all look lost. Already 21 points behind first and a lot of pundits had us to finish between 4th and 6th. Leicester at home next so looking at 6 loses from 6. Then we have the Heineken Cup so it could be a long Winter.

Still, Leeds, Doncaster and Rotherham will mean I don't have to set off at 7am for an away game.

He may not be entirely accurate on his geography but the sentiment makes sense. Years of being derided as a Northern-only game are infuriating (and there tends to be little opportunity to make the case otherwise) grate an awful lot (I get it down here in Southampton, a place where nobody appears to be interested in either form off egg-chasing).

By all means don't rise to the bait, but Keighley's point comes loaded with generations of context.
RankPostsTeam
International Star99No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 07 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Mar 13 01:1013th Oct 12 20:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: If you must discuss Union, do it here II : Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:44 pm  
Oh, I know. But he appeared to be saying it because he wanted the Northern teams to disappear. I'm fully aware that there are those who want a Southern only league. I'm not one of those.

People who give it "League is a rubbish Northern sport" are just as idiotic as the other way around. I have no time for either. I think Catalans have proved there's room for teams outside of the M62 corridor. The less said about the Broncos at this moment in time the better.....

However - people can be quite narrow minded when it comes to the context. If you look outside of the Premiership you have Doncaster, Leeds, Rotherham and Newcastle all in The Championship. I've said all this about 6 months ago I think but the game isn't dying in the way people think it is up here. At amateur level it's still massive in Cheshire, Lancashire and Cumbria especially.

Of course we need Northern teams to flourish in the top flight.

I'm not really rising to any bait. I'm a Union and League man, albeit much more Union. I don't necessarily believe all the conspiracy theories about the RFU wanting a Southern elite though.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach654No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 17 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Wire exiled in Hampshire

Re: If you must discuss Union, do it here II : Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:06 pm  
Shark J wrote:
Oh, I know. But he appeared to be saying it because he wanted the Northern teams to disappear. I'm fully aware that there are those who want a Southern only league. I'm not one of those.

People who give it "League is a rubbish Northern sport" are just as idiotic as the other way around. I have no time for either. I think Catalans have proved there's room for teams outside of the M62 corridor. The less said about the Broncos at this moment in time the better.....

However - people can be quite narrow minded when it comes to the context. If you look outside of the Premiership you have Doncaster, Leeds, Rotherham and Newcastle all in The Championship. I've said all this about 6 months ago I think but the game isn't dying in the way people think it is up here. At amateur level it's still massive in Cheshire, Lancashire and Cumbria especially.

Of course we need Northern teams to flourish in the top flight.

I'm not really rising to any bait. I'm a Union and League man, albeit much more Union. I don't necessarily believe all the conspiracy theories about the RFU wanting a Southern elite though.

Oh I agree, played a bit of amateur Union in Cheshire myself. Rotherham is an odd case- the RFU shot their fox for years to come by blocking them when they could have come up. I was making one of my frequent visits to Rotherham the other weekend and now the team seems unknown to the locals.
PreviousNext