FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Next TV Match in 9 minutes Castleford Tigers v Leeds Rhinos LIVE ON SKY SPORTS
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rugby Union, If you must talk about it, do it here. PART III
::A forum for the discussion of sports other than Rugby League.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17113No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years248th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 12:3026th Mar 24 17:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22
"It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21

A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.

Having avoided it like the plague I got caught up in the euphoria around the exit & watched the highlights of the last 30 minutes. It reminded me of watching school kids playing League. A big bunch of blokes condensed into the middle of the pitch, chasing the ball aimlessly, just with slightly less skills than 11 year olds.
lfb 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member521No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 06 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Oct 15 13:346th Oct 15 13:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
It's not lying if what you say would be true if the facts were different.

Morning Glory wrote:
By no means a ru follower but caught the last 10 mins of the eng v wales game on Saturday.

Could someone with more knowledge of the ru game explain why eng chose to throw to the front of the line-out and not the middle or back? Is this the norm with lineouts close to the line or simply really poor choice of throw/decision taking by the hooker/captain that gifted the game to the welsh who piled in and pushed eng the 2 yards into touch?
Or am I missing something?

Throwing to the front is usually the easiest way to secure the ball agsinst a competing jumper.

However at the lineout Wales setup In a way that meant they weren't going to compete in the air and we're going to counter maul as soon as they could.

At that point, the lineout call should have been changed to go to the back.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7631
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 12 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Jul 16 11:0414th Apr 16 23:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

From an on-line diary by a guy in his eighties who detests "thugby" (union) and has probably never heard of rugby league:
Whilst we were at the Club a thugby televised match was being shown, relayed to the large screen we use for showing films. I watched it for a few minutes, wanting to have a better understanding of this brutal and barbaric game, seeing one of the players head-bump an opponent in the chest, sending him flying.

Another player was punched on the nose, bleeding profusely. However, there were some really funny moments that had me bursting out laughing, especially when the players all jumped on one another, almost if a bag of sweets had been thrown onto the pitch. The players ended up in a great big heap, some of them struggling and wriggling to get out, others emerging with bloodied noses and dazed looks. There were also line-ups in which one of the players is thrown into the air by his colleague to catch the ball, usually ending up flat on his back, much to the amusement of the spectators.

It really was hilarious, making me realise that the game was redolent of ancient Roman times, when the spectators brayed for blood.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain287No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 17 20159 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Oct 15 19:1010th Oct 15 17:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

BroncOnIon wrote:
From an on-line diary by a guy in his eighties who detests "thugby" (union) and has probably never heard of rugby league:

linky linky....
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7631
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 12 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Jul 16 11:0414th Apr 16 23:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The Changing Man wrote:
linky linky....
He's even more set in his ways than I am. He's been running this weekly for nearly 20 years:
http://home.clara.net/johncopeland/
The Changing Man wrote:
linky linky....
He's even more set in his ways than I am. He's been running this weekly for nearly 20 years:
http://home.clara.net/johncopeland/
RankPostsTeam
International Star1040No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 05 201014 years295th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Mar 24 12:2424th Feb 24 14:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

saw on twitter that Steffon Armitage and his brother were at the super league grand final.

seems that both are big rugby league fans.

question for the guys who watch union. would these be good enough to cross over to rugby league?

doubt it would ever happen even if they wanted to as they get paid very well playing in french rugby union.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8261No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 10 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Jan 18 22:2530th Nov 17 04:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Follow me on Twitter...

Steffon Armitage has been the best flanker in Europe, or certainly best English flanker in Europe, for quite a few years now. However while its not totally mad to see a flanker pull on an RL shirt, it would be pretty much pointless. The traits of a brilliant flanker are all focussed around creating havoc at the breakdown area by stealing the ball , something that would never be applicable in RL. I think most good outside backs in union would be just as good in league.
knockersbumpMKII 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

richardviking wrote:
Steffon Armitage has been the best flanker in Europe, or certainly best English flanker in Europe, for quite a few years now. However while its not totally mad to see a flanker pull on an RL shirt, it would be pretty much pointless. The traits of a brilliant flanker are all focussed around creating havoc at the breakdown area by stealing the ball , something that would never be applicable in RL. I think most good outside backs in union would be just as good in league.

I'd have to disagree with it being pointless, a flanker, well the openside (no7) should be a jack of all trades and master of all of them, that includes being at the breakdown first, tackling bigger forwards, passing, sneaking out wide (a la McCaw) and even the odd bit of kicking though that's not that common for a 7, more an no.8 like the italian lad Perissi, he'd do just fine in RL, great passer, good grafter and tactically astute. Armitage would equally do fine and as his fitness is one of his great assets he's like a modern day Peter Winterbottom but with better passing skills.

I found moving from 2nd row to play flanker or indeed inside centre (albeit only a few times in adulthood) not that difficult, it just takes a bit of thinking about what you are actually trying to do. Whilst some instincts can be hard to overcome at first like releasing the ball in the tackle (at just the right time to be not penalised) others are not that hard at all.

As I played in the days when pinching the ball in league was more common and I played both league & union at school it wasn't a big step at all playing union some 15 years after I'd last played it (at school). Of course pro level is different but the thought processing is the same, just the fitness and execution level differs.
knockersbumpMKII 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

watched a bit of Wales/SA earlier whilst wirting up some tuff on the laptop.
Interesting the interception attempt (that was straight at the player) in the first half given as a penalty instead of just a knock on when it was clearly a genuine chance though the referee stated several times it wasn't, even JD saying it was very harsh. I realise this is a thing in RU, refs don't call knock ons when they happen at the base of the ruck and so on but genuine interception chances that end with the ball being spilled called as penalties is crazy.
Later on though the SA 9 stops a try scoring opportunity by putting his hand in the way of the pass and gets a yellow.
I would certainly like to see penalties for deliberate knock ons which though in the rules are never given and if in a try scoring position would also be happy for yellow card.
Frankly the rest of what I was watched was dire. Niether sides halves especially the SA 9 have a clue.
I heard a RU commentator say recently that they'd being playing for 4 minutes without a stoppage and were all over the field blowing out their arses, just lol.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22674No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200222 years237th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 15:0322nd Mar 24 21:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Leeds Rhinos? 8 for you, Leeds Rhinos! You go, Leeds Rhinos.

And none for Castleford Tigers. Bye!

So, once more, after decades claiming that tries weren't important to enjoying their more 'technical' game, the RU are introducing a bonus points system in the Six Nations based on scoring.....you've guessed it....tries!

This is to encourage more attacking play and make it more attractive to the spectator.

Nice of them to admit we were right all along.
PreviousNext