FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - O/T Thank God for that.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2855No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 14 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Oct 17 14:563rd Oct 17 14:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend. -Albert Camus

Re: O/T Thank God for that. : Wed May 12, 2010 8:36 am  
girl power wrote:
Fullback I would never form a coalition with others from the dark side :D

Unlke Clegg I will not sell my soul :wink:

How has Clegg sold his soul?

He implicitly said he do a deal with the party with the most votes and seats, which is exactly what he did.

Sounds like someone with integrity to me.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman3222No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200223 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Mar 23 16:311st Feb 19 12:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
//www.keighleycougars.info/c.do?category=110

Re: O/T Thank God for that. : Wed May 12, 2010 9:25 am  
Have you started taking the Daily Mail Jim? :D

Answers below, in red of course

guess who wrote:
Its going to be a hell of a job for the new government. Seeing as labour have left the country in such a mess.

Debt for years because they didn't keep a eye on the banks.

There's barely a nation in the world without a massive debt. It's been said many times, but the banking crisis was global, and had it's main origins in the US. And I believe it was the Tories who sent us down the road of relying on financial services and taking their eye of manufacturing. You might as well blame George W Bush or Berlusconi. If it hadn't been for Browns plan, we would all have gone into freefall, a fact readily acknowledged by the yanks also

School boycotting sats, because they are a complete waste of time.

They're not a waste of time at all. If you leave the schools to their own devices then standards will slip. There has to be some monitoring. Education has improved no end, and I can see this by the level of work my 7 and 10 year olds do, which is far in advance of when I was schoolkid

Nuisance crime just ignored.

Fair point...but how do solve it

Immigration a complete and utter mess. Labour have never had any idea how to deal with this problem.

Immigration has been an issue since the 60s, and people have never tackled it head on, because they are loathe to come out and speak the truth. Remind who was in power from 1979 to 1997? And how do you propose to stop immigration from the EU? because you can't. Labour have incidentally introduced the points system, just like those Aussies, but that seems to have been ignored

Unions trying to run the country. Mind you labour wouldn't touch them because the unions were just about bank rolling them.

Unions are not trying to run the country one bit, how are they trying to run the country? If it wasn't for the Unions there would have been no Labour party, no minimum wage, no equal pay for women, and no regard for workers health and safety? The Unions bankroll the Labour party because that's where the labour party comes from, and the Unions have 33% of the vote. That's the whole point. Would you prefer it if they were bankrolled by Lord Ashcroft from his off shore accounts, never pays Tax, and has spent hundreds of thousands of pounds promoting Tories in marginals. (all those letters from Dave Cameron you got, paid for by Ashcroft)

And how do you expect the Tories to clamp down on the banks when they're bankrolling them? That point works both ways.

And then to make it worse, Brown shows what the so called political elite really think about people. Calling that woman a bigot, really was the final nail in the labour coffin. He was caught out there and i am glad he was. Typical politician all nice to your face then talking behind your back.
He didn't have the guts to say it to her face, instead he stood there smiling at her.

And what do you suppose Cameron and Osborne think about the average working man and say about him/her in private. These are people who Anna Pasternak in the Mail described as "well bred" i.e. better than you or me.

The ones i feel really sorry in this are the deluded fools, who knocked on doors to raise support. The ones who stuck posters in there windows. To think these people feel for the crap coming out of the labour party. Thinking they were going to win again.

Things can only get better.

I'll remind you of that when your mortgage rates shoot up, and public services are cut
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member2236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 200322 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st Dec 18 07:4631st Dec 18 07:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I have only been wrong once and thats because I thought I was wrong but I was wrong I was right!

Petty authoritarians aren’t man enough to challenge the actions of a person face to face; instead they incite a forum of rumour, innuendo and half truths, and impose rude sanctions to discourage those who dare question fairness.

Anon.

Re: O/T Thank God for that. : Wed May 12, 2010 11:09 am  
Brown did much more than he was credited for but was a victim of his own personality and the media.

TV is a very powerful; it would be interesting to see the ratings had the debates been on radio. Most experts accept that the classic Kennedy V Nixon debate was won on TV by the slick Kennedy, but radio listeners said Nixon had the better arguments and substance.

It was time for a change but I suspect that the Tories will revert to robbing the poor to feed and house the ducks of the rich. Time will tell if they genuinely want to make life better for everyone, or if they expect the many to carry the burden (and mistakes) of the few.

I'm a bit disappointed that the Liberals tried to sell the future of the country to the highest bidder, but was pleased to see that some of those senior in the labour put an end to the nonsense and accepted to fight the cause from the opposition benches.

I'm not a staunch supporter of any party. We have seen recently what a bunch of cheats and liars they can all be, but for the next few years we need a government who will do the right thing for the whole country
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach757No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 200916 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th May 11 16:2726th Jul 10 09:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: O/T Thank God for that. : Wed May 12, 2010 12:14 pm  
Stelth re Clegg selling his soul, first of all the idea of politicians working together in theory is good.

However the fact he spouted along with Labour the fact by taking £6 billion out of the economy now would create the real risk of a double dip recession his words not mine and which I happen to agree with but all of a sudden he got sniff of power despite being 3rd in the election he ditched this idea shows to me he has no firm beliefs he will stick to.

The tories have promiseda referendum on an alternative vote system, again not what the Liberals had as core belief, he bottled this.

Then we hear he says he got tories to POSTPONE not DITCH the inheritance tax increase that would have benefitted the very few. t even that is a trick as he agreed to DITCH his plans for the so called mansion tax.

There is nothing in what he has done that will ultimately help folk generally as he got snared by the trappings of power their results and he clearly does not deserve.

Already and it will become clearer at the weekend how many Liberal party members and mps are defecting to Labour.

If you think about the way Gordon Brown conducted himself in the way the negotiations over the last week showed Clegg how someone with strong beliefs puts his party above himself, by this I mean when he realised it may help Lbour if he stood down he did, then when it became clear liberals had already made mnd up to jump in bed with the tories he did the right thing immediately by resigning as Prime Minister straight away so the coalition could form government straight away. That is sign of the man and conviction politician Clegg will never be.

Question for Jim inparticular regarding the minimum wage as prime example, most of your customers would I assume to be on the young side and most with not very well paid jobs assume, just think if thee was no minimum wage we would have kids on £2 per hour as in the days of thatcher that would impact of folk like your customers.

AJ you made succintly some really good points and which can not be improved on.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7174No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 28 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Oct 19 17:0514th Nov 18 17:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: O/T Thank God for that. : Wed May 12, 2010 5:46 pm  
aj cougar wrote:
There's barely a nation in the world without a massive debt. It's been said many times, but the banking crisis was global, and had it's main origins in the US. And I believe it was the Tories who sent us down the road of relying on financial services and taking their eye of manufacturing. You might as well blame George W Bush or Berlusconi. If it hadn't been for Browns plan, we would all have gone into freefall, a fact readily acknowledged by the yanks also

How can you blame the Tories, labour have been in power for 13 years. Labour were happy to go along with the way things were going.
The banks were in free fall, because the government did not keep a eye on them.
Thats the reason we are so far in the poo.

aj cougar wrote:
They're not a waste of time at all. If you leave the schools to their own devices then standards will slip. There has to be some monitoring. Education has improved no end, and I can see this by the level of work my 7 and 10 year olds do, which is far in advance of when I was schoolkid

They are a waste of time. The stupid tick-box mentality of the labour party has put the wrong type of pressure on schools.
Schools focus to much on the stupid things. This then stops them doing other things.
Teaching should be all about education and allowing gifted teachers to do there job. Sats stop teachers doing that. Instead they have to teach for the tests.
Is the kids leaving school at the end of year 11 worse than you were/the same/better?

aj cougar wrote:
Fair point...but how do solve it

Glad you admit that they have got something wrong. Isn't a governments job to sort things out, instead of leaving me or you to come up with the answer?

If it was up to me i would put a lot more police on the beat. Instead of those silly community support officers. Let the police, police the area.

aj cougar wrote:
Immigration has been an issue since the 60s, and people have never tackled it head on, because they are loathe to come out and speak the truth. Remind who was in power from 1979 to 1997? And how do you propose to stop immigration from the EU? because you can't. Labour have incidentally introduced the points system, just like those Aussies, but that seems to have been ignored

Labour have also adopted the european ruling on Immigration. So once again to try and blame the conservatives is silly.
Labour have had 13 years to try and do something.

aj cougar wrote:
Unions are not trying to run the country one bit, how are they trying to run the country? If it wasn't for the Unions there would have been no Labour party, no minimum wage, no equal pay for women, and no regard for workers health and safety? The Unions bankroll the Labour party because that's where the labour party comes from, and the Unions have 33% of the vote. That's the whole point. Would you prefer it if they were bankrolled by Lord Ashcroft from his off shore accounts, never pays Tax, and has spent hundreds of thousands of pounds promoting Tories in marginals. (all those letters from Dave Cameron you got, paid for by Ashcroft)

And how do you expect the Tories to clamp down on the banks when they're bankrolling them? That point works both ways.

I will agree that the unions have done a lot of good. But they have also done a lot of bad. I have worked with ex miners and you want to hear what they had to say.
The way they carried on made the job harder to do. Thats not the way it should be.
Seeing as the labour party are so reliant on the money from the unions they cannot try to hard to go against them. This in turn makes them weak.

You go on about Lord Ashcroft and how he carries on. If it was that bad, why in the 13 years labour have been in power, didn't they do something about it.

aj cougar wrote:
And what do you suppose Cameron and Osborne think about the average working man and say about him/her in private. These are people who Anna Pasternak in the Mail described as "well bred" i.e. better than you or me.

It makes them as bad as the ex labour leader. This is the trouble with most of the PMs. They have lost touch with the real world because they don't live in it.

aj cougar wrote:
I'll remind you of that when your mortgage rates shoot up, and public services are cut

Mortgage rates will go up as well as down. They have done in the past and will always continue to do so.
Public services will have to be cut, because of the mess the labour party have left us in.

Mervyn King came out today and said that cuts would have to happen. He then went on to praise, the new ways they are going to be cut by the new government.
He said it was better than what labour were proposing to do.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member2236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 200322 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st Dec 18 07:4631st Dec 18 07:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I have only been wrong once and thats because I thought I was wrong but I was wrong I was right!

Petty authoritarians aren’t man enough to challenge the actions of a person face to face; instead they incite a forum of rumour, innuendo and half truths, and impose rude sanctions to discourage those who dare question fairness.

Anon.

Re: O/T Thank God for that. : Wed May 12, 2010 6:44 pm  
Go to a well known video sharing website and type in David Cameron Common People - its the 2min 57 sec version

Whether you agree with it or not it is very, very funny - I actually chuckled out loud.

Whenever I see him now I just think of that :P :P :P

"and then gideon and I will go for a drinky poo" he, he, he.

There have been media interpretations, especially "spitting images" that ruined people. If this goes viral it could do the same.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach757No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 200916 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th May 11 16:2726th Jul 10 09:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: O/T Thank God for that. : Thu May 13, 2010 9:40 am  
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10112936.stm

This will hit everyone the 1st of many tax rises despite them trying to pretend none will be needed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8679441.stm

This will hit everyone the 1st of many tax rises despite them trying to pretend none will be needed.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7174No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 28 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Oct 19 17:0514th Nov 18 17:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: O/T Thank God for that. : Thu May 13, 2010 11:50 am  
girl power wrote:

It says in your first link VAT is set to rise under the new coalition government, according to a BBC survey of influential economists.

As yet it hasn't happened, but don't let that stop scaremongering.
We all know it had to happen.
It had to happen to clean the mess the Labour party had left it in.

It says in your second link The NHS may need to make more savings than has been planned for, health secretary Andrew Lansley has hinted.

And its about time this happened. The amount of wasted that is wasted by spending it were it doesn't need spending is shameful.

All we can expect is the Labour party scaremongering from now on.
If they had done a good job, they would still be in power.

Do you really think if labour had still been in power, that no cuts backs and raising of tax wouldn't have happened?
girl power wrote:

It says in your first link VAT is set to rise under the new coalition government, according to a BBC survey of influential economists.

It says in your second link The NHS may need to make more savings than has been planned for, health secretary Andrew Lansley has hinted.

And its about time this happened. The amount of wasted that is wasted by spending it were it doesn't need spending is shameful.

Do you really think if labour had still been in power, that no cuts backs and raising of tax wouldn't have happened?
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman3222No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200223 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Mar 23 16:311st Feb 19 12:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
//www.keighleycougars.info/c.do?category=110

Re: O/T Thank God for that. : Thu May 13, 2010 12:39 pm  
guess who wrote:

Jim

It's Labour's job to oppose now, they are in opposition. What would you have them do? Let the Government do whatever they want? I don't recall the Tories being quite in opposition despite the fact that they 18 years in power to "sort it all out".

On the subject of VAT, of course revenue has to be raised, but do you consider VAT to be fair and equitable? i.e. will we all be affected in the same way?
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach916No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 01 200520 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jul 18 06:442nd Jul 18 06:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Devon Branch Of The Keighley Cougars Supporters Association

Re: O/T Thank God for that. : Thu May 13, 2010 2:17 pm  
Personally I couldn't wait for Labour to get the hell out of there. I wanted conservative to win due to their policies on the debt, immigration, special needs and a few others. Though I am glad that miserable old man has gone, I know it isnt a leaders popularity contest but my god he was so bloody boring and dull. Leave them out to grass for a couple of terms and hopefully see this government recover their mess.
PreviousNext