OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Apr 24 05:1528th Feb 24 12:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
EVENTUALLY, WE'LL WIN SOMETHING, ,MAYBE, IF I'M STILL ALIVE THEN

Re: Wigan away Friday 23rd july : Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:34 am  
I suppose the problem we have with our coach is the same as with our squad: finances. If we don't renew Chester, what can we realistically afford? An assistant who "fancies a bash" at the top job? That is no way forward.

I have to concede, however, that it is hard to be positive moving forward. Let's be honest, we have gone backwards ever since JK went to Bradford. So, was the quality of the team based upon JK or Chris Chester? The results since then have suggested JK was the dominant factor.

If CC stays, I'm expecting more relegation struggles, due to a tired squad and an unusual approach to recruitment (let's get loads of average full-backs but put them behind a tired pack). Nothing I have seen since JK went to Bradford suggests we will ever get near a play-off place, or be ever anything other than relegation battlers.

The real questions are, however, whether we are exactly where out finances dictate we will be, and whether we can afford anything better.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2544
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 19 201212 years79th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 11:4716th Apr 24 11:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan away Friday 23rd july : Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:21 am  
Trojan Horse wrote:
Massive concern that left edge defence. As you say pretty much all the scores from past few games have come down that edge. Some serious work needs to go into that this week. That starts with Ashurst, Miller who need to make the correct decisions when to slide and then Arundel and Senior where they need to position themselves. Between those 4 players they need to improve in defence.

I think Lyne and Kershaw seem to be defensively quite strong. I hope we give Kershaw a shot for next year because recently I’ve been impressed with him and of you’d ask me 5-6 weeks ago I really wasn’t a fan of his.

So does that throw the Arundel ,can pass and tackle ,out of the window, Did the left edge work better last week when Senior was in the centre ? Sorry to say I think Ashurst great stint is coming to a end it a age thing slowed to move across the ground ext.The next 3 year should show
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner4777
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 04 200321 years126th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 13:4014th Apr 24 08:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
[IMG]//i50.tinypic.com/a59ff5.gif[/IMG]

Re: Wigan away Friday 23rd july : Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:43 am  
alegend wrote:
If you mean Brian Smith is brother, he is the one that got us into this mess If he had not left a Wakefield team that was so fit Mr Chester would not have been able to live off the basic of that team for 3 years

I think he means the former scrum half Tony Smith who was coach a number of years ago not Brian Smith who you refer to.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2186
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 04 201112 years148th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 07:4216th Apr 24 07:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
What's pink & hard first thing in the morning?
The financial time crossword

Re: Wigan away Friday 23rd july : Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:43 am  
Last edited by financialtimes on Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2034No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 28 20186 years40th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Apr 24 13:5730th Mar 24 06:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan away Friday 23rd july : Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:24 am  
Had the pleasure of watching our 16 year olds the other night ,and after going 18 nil down early doors they regrouped and got stuck in and came away with a cracking win . Their attacking structures were were fluid and slick as apposed to the first team that half way through the season still look as they they’ve just played their first team together.
Is this a coincidence that they are coached by applegarth and not chester . The very future of our club lies in these kids as well as the older lads that have just signed contracts ,has chester ever come down to watch these future players NO, and hopefully that will stand them in good stead for them and the club in the future ,and fingers crossed by the time their chance comes we will have a quality coach in charge at the club.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35934
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 18:1513th Apr 24 19:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Wigan away Friday 23rd july : Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:29 am  
Slugger McBatt wrote:
I suppose the problem we have with our coach is the same as with our squad: finances. If we don't renew Chester, what can we realistically afford? An assistant who "fancies a bash" at the top job? That is no way forward.

I have to concede, however, that it is hard to be positive moving forward. Let's be honest, we have gone backwards ever since JK went to Bradford. So, was the quality of the team based upon JK or Chris Chester? The results since then have suggested JK was the dominant factor.

If CC stays, I'm expecting more relegation struggles, due to a tired squad and an unusual approach to recruitment (let's get loads of average full-backs but put them behind a tired pack). Nothing I have seen since JK went to Bradford suggests we will ever get near a play-off place, or be ever anything other than relegation battlers.

The real questions are, however, whether we are exactly where out finances dictate we will be, and whether we can afford anything better.

I get most of what you say.

The best we have ever played in SL was under McNally but that was a freak.

The most consistent was under JK first time.

However imo the best rugby we have played in SL was from 2016 to 2018 when we were hammering teams like Hull and Wigan and Bering Leeds and Saints, only Cas eluded us. We can’t just dismiss that to suit a new narrative which I’m sure you unlike some are not doing. Was it the JK factor?

The question now is what’s gone wrong?

Covid and injuries are a part but something is now missing and doesn’t seem to be returning.

Ageing team for one.

Lack of quality signings, but is that bad management or just a total lack of available talent?

Was it the team who performed rather that the coach in those good seasons.

Did JK make all the difference and CC is just not good enough?

Have we got some bad apple who need to go?

Can we only win at home with a totally partisan crowd

Is it simply that we can’t compete money wise but just struck lucky for a while?

Plenty on here seem to think they have the answers but they don’t, I’m not sure anyone does but only the club’s management can sort it.

It’s no fun and I’m not shooting people down today, I don’t have the energy anymore.

If I were to say anything I’d just like to see some real endeavour, spirit and above all desire to play the full 80. I can accept that we are not vey good at the moment just so long as I believe we are trying and I’m no longer convinced that some players are. Very sad.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4980No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 06 200618 years257th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Dec 23 15:2219th Oct 23 17:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'That is why no amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party.... So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin'

Re: Wigan away Friday 23rd july : Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:46 am  
Slugger McBatt wrote:

If we could afford Chester and Kear before surely we can afford just Kear? Be interesting to know whether he wants another shot at SL or not. I'd have him back in an instant personally
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1354
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 21 20204 years66th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 11:5015th Apr 24 12:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wigan away Friday 23rd july : Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:52 am  
vastman wrote:

However imo the best rugby we have played in SL was from 2016 to 2018 when we were hammering teams like Hull and Wigan and Bering Leeds and Saints, only Cas eluded us. We can’t just dismiss that to suit a new narrative which I’m sure you unlike some are not doing. Was it the JK factor?

Covid and injuries are a part but something is now missing and doesn’t seem to be returning.

Ageing team for one.

Lack of quality signings, but is that bad management or just a total lack of available talent?

Is it simply that we can’t compete money wise but just struck lucky for a while?

Plenty on here seem to think they have the answers but they don’t, I’m not sure anyone does but only the club’s management can sort it.

It’s no fun and I’m not shooting people down today, I don’t have the energy anymore.

If I were to say anything I’d just like to see some real endeavour, spirit and above all desire to play the full 80. I can accept that we are not vey good at the moment just so long as I believe we are trying and I’m no longer convinced that some players are. Very sad.

Lots of questions there Vasty and probably more than one applies at the moment.
I too support the team if they try but it's hard to see from some players sometimes.
Like someone else on here has commented , I too have supported the team for 60+ years and it used to hurt for a couple of days after a defeat. Sadly, it no longer does because I'm now well prepared to deal with the defeat.
Like you say, it's up to the management to change things and they have to get their finger out because very soon season tickets will be on sale for next season.........!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4980No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 06 200618 years257th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Dec 23 15:2219th Oct 23 17:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'That is why no amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party.... So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin'

Re: Wigan away Friday 23rd july : Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:55 am  
vastman wrote:

Ageing team for one.

Sums it up really, a combination of factors is likely the cause but irrespective the fundmental question remains, should the current incumbent continue in his job next season given the situation we are in?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13480
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 26 200617 years64th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 06:3916th Apr 24 12:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
1/10

Re: Wigan away Friday 23rd july : Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:02 am  
Last edited by Khlav Kalash on Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
PreviousNext

Subject: 
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wakefield Trinity

RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
[Gareth]
5m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
supersuperfc
20m
David Armstrong potential signing