JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20 20158 years159th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 14:2828th Mar 24 07:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Lewis Murphy & Other Young Home Grown Players : Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:46 pm  
I think with the story regarding Lewis Murphy, just highlights a problem we have with the sport in our country at the moment. It is said that the minimum for a player in the NRL is around £90k, that is probably about quadruple what he is currently on at Wakefield, and in reality, it's too big to turn down really. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't expect us to match it, but would think that, as a regular, his contract should be a little more in line with other regulars.

He's probably not the only one in this position, both here and at other SL clubs. To do this though, I do feel that the cap needs to be increased a bit more, that is increased and not scrapped. On top of this, to try and retain our own, reduce the overseas quota
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6292
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 24 200717 years185th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Mar 24 02:5928th Feb 24 12:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
EVENTUALLY, WE'LL WIN SOMETHING, ,MAYBE, IF I'M STILL ALIVE THEN

It wouldn't affect us though, as we don't spend the full cap anyway. It would have a greater impact on the likes of Saints and Wigan.

With the marquee rule, with two players each, there is the prospect of the top players being retained on huge wages. The problem is that the game doesn't get the sponsorship that it gets in Australia. The money isn't there to spend even if we raised the cap. We have to remember that all the clubs recorded a loss in their accounts, other than us.

The problem is not the cap per se. The problem is the lack of money swilling around the game. That is the job of IMG to improve.

It has to be said, however, that there are more Australians playing in the Super League than there are Brits playing in the NRL. Some of those would get NRL gigs if they went home, as many have. The difference is that we lose the stars, whereas they lose the squad fillers.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player224No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 23 20204 years214th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 19:3028th Mar 24 21:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The marquee rules were only going to benefit the top clubs. … that why they brought them in … to keep them at the top.
Instead of the marquee rule.. clubs should be given leeway if they’ve managed to produce home grown talent so it doesn’t count on the cap..
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player746
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 06 20222 years111th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 17:2428th Mar 24 20:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The NRL is on a path to be an unchallengeable behemoth, the game here is headline news… big business… huge commercial investment… saturation TV coverage

If SL or RFL tries to directly compete now it will fail… the best way to success is to do what Trinity are doing… across the game… build from the bottom… be financially viable and grow steadily..

EVERY club should be producing 3 or 4 new young talented players each season… home developed… (yes some will be poached… attracted by the big league in Aus… but eventually that will even out) .. look to emerging nations for new young talent for academies (east Africa… Jamaica… the balkans… the Americas and Brazil… Netherlands and Norway)

The game isn’t broken… it’s evolving… and like all disruption it can be managed to advantage
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6292
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 24 200717 years185th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Mar 24 02:5928th Feb 24 12:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
EVENTUALLY, WE'LL WIN SOMETHING, ,MAYBE, IF I'M STILL ALIVE THEN

Spookisback wrote:
The NRL is on a path to be an unchallengeable behemoth, the game here is headline news… big business… huge commercial investment… saturation TV coverage

If SL or RFL tries to directly compete now it will fail… the best way to success is to do what Trinity are doing… across the game… build from the bottom… be financially viable and grow steadily..

EVERY club should be producing 3 or 4 new young talented players each season… home developed… (yes some will be poached… attracted by the big league in Aus… but eventually that will even out) .. look to emerging nations for new young talent for academies (east Africa… Jamaica… the balkans… the Americas and Brazil… Netherlands and Norway)

The game isn’t broken… it’s evolving… and like all disruption it can be managed to advantage

Perhaps lift the restrictions on overseas players. What attracts fans is seeing great rugby, not overpaid Championship quality players. If you asked any Hull fan old enough to remember about their favourite period, they will all say the early 80's, and their backs were nearly all Aussies or Kiwis. Same with the great teams of the early 90's. Perhaps the difference is that they were top players coming over here, and the NRL wages aren't what they are now, but how many Bevan French's are there out who'd love to play in Super League but can't?

Quality attracts crowds. I didn't care where Solomona came from when he wore a Trinity shirt.
jonh 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20112No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 27 200321 years44th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 17:0028th Mar 24 14:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Signature
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.

Belle Vue wrote:
The marquee rules were only going to benefit the top clubs. … that why they brought them in … to keep them at the top.
Instead of the marquee rule.. clubs should be given leeway if they’ve managed to produce home grown talent so it doesn’t count on the cap..

The clubs are rewarded with cap exception of I think £100k for producing home grown players.

I think we need to look at increasing this though.

Ultimately though you could remove the cap altogether and it wouldn’t make any difference.

The game is on a different level over there in regards profile, standard and facilities. Even if we could compete with that there is then the lifestyle to compete with which for a lot of players is a huge draw.

I think for the young lads the pull is just too much, a decade ago you had lads like Roby, Sinfield, Peacock, O’Loghlain, Lomax etc who were happy being 1 club men I think in a lot of cases attitudes have changed and Australia is now just viewed as the complete package and they have the safety net of knowing it they don’t make it or don’t like it they can walk back into a SL gig.

Obviously there will be some who don’t want to go over however they these days will be the exception rather than the rule.

In my opinion there is very little we can do about it, so the focus has to be on replacing them and the pathways so we have a conveyor belt of players ready to step up. That is a huge challenge in my opinion and those clubs that get it right will reap the rewards.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1343
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 21 20204 years63rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 16:1925th Mar 24 15:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Slugger McBatt wrote:
Perhaps lift the restrictions on overseas players. What attracts fans is seeing great rugby, not overpaid Championship quality players. If you asked any Hull fan old enough to remember about their favourite period, they will all say the early 80's, and their backs were nearly all Aussies or Kiwis. Same with the great teams of the early 90's. Perhaps the difference is that they were top players coming over here, and the NRL wages aren't what they are now, but how many Bevan French's are there out who'd love to play in Super League but can't?

Quality attracts crowds. I didn't care where Solomona came from when he wore a Trinity shirt.

Problem is Slugger, if you lift the restrictions you're going to get championship level players from down under infiltrating our leagues. We've had a few like that under the present regulations!
The NRL might be an attraction for a lot of young lads, and I'd guess that most of those making the headlines recently,have no families to uproot - but amongst the older players with families, there aren't that many going from our game.
A lot of these kids won't make it there and will return within a short time I reckon.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach124
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 29 200915 years287th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Mar 24 23:431st Mar 24 10:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Eastern Wildcat wrote:
I think with the story regarding Lewis Murphy, just highlights a problem we have with the sport in our country at the moment. It is said that the minimum for a player in the NRL is around £90k, that is probably about quadruple what he is currently on at Wakefield, and in reality, it's too big to turn down really. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't expect us to match it, but would think that, as a regular, his contract should be a little more in line with other regulars.

He's probably not the only one in this position, both here and at other SL clubs. To do this though, I do feel that the cap needs to be increased a bit more, that is increased and not scrapped. On top of this, to try and retain our own, reduce the overseas quota

Surely the minimum would be in Aussie Dollars which would equate to approx £50k for 90k dollars which would still possibly double his money however its a lifestyle, an opportunity that may come once in his career, and Bondi Beach or Pugneys decisions that are difficult :wink: increasing the cap in this situation, would have no bearing on a player who wants to improve in a far superior competition. Even if he never plays first grade he is in the camp of some world class players in a very popular sport in Oz and getting better. Also he is one season in to his career he could continue as he finished last season or the opposite its the unknown.

I have no doubt that had Johnstone not been made prone to injuries he would also have been in the NRL. My opinion is his injuries kept him at Wakefield and signing contract for his security and the ability of a fee but i would still surmise he would have gained a release clause in those contracts for an NRL approach
jonh 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20112No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 27 200321 years44th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 17:0028th Mar 24 14:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Signature
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.

Wildcat_1 wrote:
Surely the minimum would be in Aussie Dollars which would equate to approx £50k for 90k dollars which would still possibly double his money however its a lifestyle, an opportunity that may come once in his career, and Bondi Beach or Pugneys decisions that are difficult :wink: increasing the cap in this situation, would have no bearing on a player who wants to improve in a far superior competition. Even if he never plays first grade he is in the camp of some world class players in a very popular sport in Oz and getting better. Also he is one season in to his career he could continue as he finished last season or the opposite its the unknown.

I have no doubt that had Johnstone not been made prone to injuries he would also have been in the NRL. My opinion is his injuries kept him at Wakefield and signing contract for his security and the ability of a fee but i would still surmise he would have gained a release clause in those contracts for an NRL approach

I think if you make the 30 man NRL squad you will be on a minimum £80k.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player224No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 23 20204 years214th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 19:3028th Mar 24 21:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

jonh wrote:
The clubs are rewarded with cap exception of I think £100k for producing home grown players.

I think we need to look at increasing this though.

Ultimately though you could remove the cap altogether and it wouldn’t make any difference.

The game is on a different level over there in regards profile, standard and facilities. Even if we could compete with that there is then the lifestyle to compete with which for a lot of players is a huge draw.

I think for the young lads the pull is just too much, a decade ago you had lads like Roby, Sinfield, Peacock, O’Loghlain, Lomax etc who were happy being 1 club men I think in a lot of cases attitudes have changed and Australia is now just viewed as the complete package and they have the safety net of knowing it they don’t make it or don’t like it they can walk back into a SL gig.

Obviously there will be some who don’t want to go over however they these days will be the exception rather than the rule.

In my opinion there is very little we can do about it, so the focus has to be on replacing them and the pathways so we have a conveyor belt of players ready to step up. That is a huge challenge in my opinion and those clubs that get it right will reap the rewards.

Good post this.the last paragraph especially…
There are some clubs that have already put 2and 2 together to start producing a conveyor belt of talent.
We need to be that club, especially in an area that Wakefield is in. I hope the ground upgrade and the revenue it hopefully produces will help us get that conveyor belt moving.
It’s already starting to move in the right direction in my opinion.

I think Murphy was always going to leave at some point. There will be others , but there will be others that make the cut and represent Wakefield trinity in SL. You could see it as a positive…. In that how far have we come as a club that we’re able to produce talent that the NRL wants..

IMG will be looking to put bum on seats, and to do that we will need overseas talent .. however I’d be looking to limit the numbers.. and start having a PROPER think about dispensation for clubs producing talent so that eventually there’s not much need for the overseas contingent.
Next