FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : St.Helens Women 32 - 2 York Valkyrie LIVE ON BBC LIVE STREAM Full Time.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Wakefield - Contracted Players
RankPostsTeam
International Star2010No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 201113 years253rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Mar 24 22:033rd Mar 24 01:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wakefield - Contracted Players : Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:42 am  
Fishermanscap wrote:
Well we will never know unless we sign him and that applies to all new signings.

It’s funny and I have no idea if you were one but Dave’s signing was greeted with a great deal of derision when we signed him. Poor mans Andrew and total flop in the NRL and fat to boot according to many, so at the time Dave was every bit a no David Fifita! His home debut was also one of the worst I’ve ever seen. Ditto Miller who was frankly dreadful to start with and was not considered a good player by most. So I’m not sure how you can be so sure tbh.

Finally like it or not money still counts for us, we have better players than ever but they don’t come cheap and I wouldn’t think we have much wiggle room. NRL players don’t come cheap, in fact they rarely come at all these days. There are very few of these players available to SL these days and those who are go where the money is.

My contention is that Tangata is one of the better quota players available, available being the key word for me.

Anyway none of us will have any say and thank the lord for that.

Good post. Judging players on a game or two can mislead. I certainly thought we'd got another Jarrod hickey after fifitas debut! Tangata has actually looked the part. It may prove misleading too but what more can he do? He's worth a go for me
Jizzer 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years320th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wakefield - Contracted Players : Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:33 am  
Tangata stepped up well and for me showed he offers more than England and Hirst, albeit England seems to have been crocked most the season. Worth a contract, only question is can the quota spot be used better elsewhere.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain200No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 28 20195 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Jan 20 12:0415th Jan 20 08:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wakefield - Contracted Players : Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:17 am  
Jizzer wrote:
Tangata stepped up well and for me showed he offers more than England and Hirst, albeit England seems to have been crocked most the season. Worth a contract, only question is can the quota spot be used better elsewhere.

I agree and were short of props so worth a year to see how he goes.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2167No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 31 20186 years320th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Mar 22 16:3520th Mar 22 16:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wakefield - Contracted Players : Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:29 am  
Jizzer wrote:

That's the crux, for various reasons SL is no longer the drawcard it once was for more established NRL players. Even Saints and Leeds are feeding off the scraps to a degree. They all got giddy about Hurrell but he like a few others were to a degree yesterday's men, still decent but not the very best by any stretch. For clubs like us, we can't afford to pay premium money and what's left is frankly reserve grade ie PP, Randell and even Toupou. In fact, I'm struggling to think when we last signed a current NRL player.

Luckily all of the above worked out apart from one and he proves my point. Tangata is an utterly well-known quantity and would have been playing SL for Widnes had they not imploded. Should he join us he has everything to play for, we are his big chance, the motivation is there, without doubt, gold dust IMO.

For the money, he'd cost and the fact that we know he's settled makes him a win-win for a budget like ours. Even if he ends up 5th choice prop that can only be a good sign for us and how strong we are, he's definitely top-notch as back up when you consider Hirst and a totally knackered England fulfilled that role last season.

Hope we sign him tbh.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2691
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 22 20186 years157th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th May 24 00:4318th May 24 09:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wakefield - Contracted Players : Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:32 am  
charlie63wildcat wrote:
Good post. Judging players on a game or two can mislead. I certainly thought we'd got another Jarrod hickey after fifitas debut! Tangata has actually looked the part. It may prove misleading too but what more can he do? He's worth a go for me

I thought Fifita had a decent game on his debut although he got sin binned I recall? Then he had an absolute stormer against Hudds in the challenge cup the week after. But yes I agree with the overall point, I actually remember thinking we had a good player in Hickey when he made his debut at away at Salford and he was skitiling players for fun when he come of the bench, such a shame that he could not control his diet as there was a good player there.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2691
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 22 20186 years157th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wakefield - Contracted Players : Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:37 am  
Fishermanscap wrote:
That's the crux, for various reasons SL is no longer the drawcard it once was for more established NRL players. Even Saints and Leeds are feeding off the scraps to a degree. They all got giddy about Hurrell but he like a few others were to a degree yesterday's men, still decent but not the very best by any stretch. For clubs like us, we can't afford to pay premium money and what's left is frankly reserve grade ie PP, Randell and even Toupou. In fact, I'm struggling to think when we last signed a current NRL player.

Luckily all of the above worked out apart from one and he proves my point. Tangata is an utterly well-known quantity and would have been playing SL for Widnes had they not imploded. Should he join us he has everything to play for, we are his big chance, the motivation is there, without doubt, gold dust IMO.

For the money, he'd cost and the fact that we know he's settled makes him a win-win for a budget like ours. Even if he ends up 5th choice prop that can only be a good sign for us and how strong we are, he's definitely top-notch as back up when you consider Hirst and a totally knackered England fulfilled that role last season.

Hope we sign him tbh.

Do you really think SL has ever really been a drawcard for established NRL players? We have had the odd player come over in there prime i.e. Jamie Lyon but the majority are either at the twilight of there career, not quite good enough or have got into some sort of bother in Aus, there are also some cases where players come over here that probably are good enough for the NRL but come over early in there career when they are not established NRL players and actually make a good career for themselves.

I think the level of overseas import is at the level it has been for the last 10/15 years across the league, but I think as a club we have actually improved the level of import over the last 5 years - The likes of Arona, Tanginoa etc we would have been chuffed with years ago and now that is more or less the level that we expect from the quota players.
Cats13 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach362No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 200618 years315th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th May 24 21:403rd May 24 21:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wakefield - Contracted Players : Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:43 am  
homme vaste wrote:
Do you really think SL has ever really been a drawcard for established NRL players? We have had the odd player come over in there prime i.e. Jamie Lyon but the majority are either at the twilight of there career, not quite good enough or have got into some sort of bother in Aus, there are also some cases where players come over here that probably are good enough for the NRL but come over early in there career when they are not established NRL players and actually make a good career for themselves.

I think the level of overseas import is at the level it has been for the last 10/15 years across the league, but I think as a club we have actually improved the level of import over the last 5 years - The likes of Arona, Tanginoa etc we would have been chuffed with years ago and now that is more or less the level that we expect from the quota players.

I think Lyon only ended up here because he was playing bush footy after walking out of a contract with an NRL side (can’t remember which) and they wouldn’t release his registration.

I can’t remember the last genuine transfer of a top level Aussie in their prime.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2167No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 31 20186 years320th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Mar 22 16:3520th Mar 22 16:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wakefield - Contracted Players : Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:50 am  
homme vaste wrote:

Depends how far you want to go back but yes compared to now, Lyons as you mention, Dallas and even Tronc with us to name but three were actual current form NRL players, now there are virtually none. Even as recently as 2015 Scott Anderson had been in two GF's and Dean Collis was an established NRL player, don't reckon you'd get them now. What people seem to forget is that as SL contracts the NRL expands. Bush footy as it's called has expanded rapidly in recent years and those clubs now pay wages that make SL look uncompetitive which was not the case ten years ago. Added to that the cap has barely risen, the exchange rate is crap etc etc.

That's how I see it.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2691
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 22 20186 years157th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wakefield - Contracted Players : Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:10 pm  
Fishermanscap wrote:
Depends how far you want to go back but yes compared to now, Lyons as you mention, Dallas and even Tronc with us to name but three were actual current form NRL players, now there are virtually none. Even as recently as 2015 Scott Anderson had been in two GF's and Dean Collis was an established NRL player, don't reckon you'd get them now. What people seem to forget is that as SL contracts the NRL expands. Bush footy as it's called has expanded rapidly in recent years and those clubs now pay wages that make SL look uncompetitive which was not the case ten years ago. Added to that the cap has barely risen, the exchange rate is crap etc etc.

That's how I see it.

Dean Collis was playing for Cronulla`s feeder team when he signed for us, even behind Ben Pomeroy in the pecking order, I will give you Anderson, but he was a squad player in that Broncos squad.

Arona played more or less a full season in the Cronulla first team when he signed for us, Tupou was in and out of the Canberra first team the year he signed for us - He had made 15 appearances that season when he joined us at the back end of 2015.

I would say if anything, our quality of imports has improved, not gone backwards.
musson 
RankPostsTeam
International Star1692No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 01 201014 years257th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Mar 23 05:5416th Mar 23 19:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wakefield - Contracted Players : Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:30 pm  
Cats13 wrote:
I think Lyon only ended up here because he was playing bush footy after walking out of a contract with an NRL side (can’t remember which) and they wouldn’t release his registration.

I can’t remember the last genuine transfer of a top level Aussie in their prime.

It was cronulla I believe
He was a country kid and he didn’t adapt to life in the city
PreviousNext