OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 22:244th Apr 24 11:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Twitter...@GINGERWILDCAT

Re: Racism : Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:43 pm  
But at times there are blurred lines. Pop tart mentioned the word "coloured" and how it's now being classed as offensive. Meghan Markle often speaks of herself as a woman of "colour", doesn't that imply that she classes herself as "coloured"?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2214
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 29 200518 years300th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 19:127th Apr 24 10:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Racism : Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:46 pm  
bren2k wrote:
With one unfortunate caveat - the way that some people have campaigned for Brexit, by stoking fears about immigration - has sharpened some of those smooth edges; so that casual and overt racism has become much more part of daily discourse than it once was. The unacceptable has become acceptable again, thanks to some political figures, and overtly right wing media outlets like the Daily Mail. Not helped of course by the limp BBC, who in the pursuit of mythical balance, feel that to counter a discussion about the holocaust for example, they have to include a holocaust denier in the conversation.

It feels to me like we've taken some backward steps in recent years.

Of course having legitimate concerns about an additional million new citizens every couple of year having an impact on infrastructure, house prices, rents and creating an over supply of labour meets your definition of Racist. The assumption that Leave voters couldn't have possibly seen that without been brainwashed by the Daily Mail says more about your prejudices . If your someone like yourself who questions the educational level of the electorate that disagrees with you I see why can come to that conclusion. Accept your side lost the debate and move on.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator20225
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 04 200816 years5th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 21:5216th Apr 24 10:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

Re: Racism : Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:01 pm  
JINJER wrote:
But at times there are blurred lines. Pop tart mentioned the word "coloured" and how it's now being classed as offensive. Meghan Markle often speaks of herself as a woman of "colour", doesn't that imply that she classes herself as "coloured"?

Calling yourself something because you are part of a group who suffer from racism doesn't make it ok for people to label you with that term.

In a less obvious way I'm bald and I went to a comprehensive school. I've no problem telling you that.
But if someone started saying bald people were all thick or all the same as a particularly bad bald person I would be upset.
Same if one of my friends from public school called me the comprehensive kid in our group.

It's just how the term is used.

Like I say, it's not that it is wrong so much as allows people to use it in a much worse way.

On the same theme I kinda have a problem with the MOBO awards. Great idea, but can you imagine if someone started a MOWO award?
The way to resolve it isn't to stop the MOBOs, it's to make sure all music awards are fair and everyone has the same opportunity.
RankPostsTeam
International Star5528
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 201113 years206th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 17:356th Apr 24 18:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Racism : Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:19 pm  
PopTart wrote:
Calling yourself something because you are part of a group who suffer from racism doesn't make it ok for people to label you with that term.

In a less obvious way I'm bald and I went to a comprehensive school. I've no problem telling you that.
But if someone started saying bald people were all thick or all the same as a particularly bad bald person I would be upset.
Same if one of my friends from public school called me the comprehensive kid in our group.

It's just how the term is used.

Like I say, it's not that it is wrong so much as allows people to use it in a much worse way.

On the same theme I kinda have a problem with the MOBO awards. Great idea, but can you imagine if someone started a MOWO award?
The way to resolve it isn't to stop the MOBOs, it's to make sure all music awards are fair and everyone has the same opportunity.

Nail on head with that one PT, there’s a lot that could be classed racist to a white white person, for instance, the prison where I work has a paper delivered that it solely for the ethnic prisoners which I know causes some heated discussion between the others. Every body has an opinion about racism, brexit, immigration just that some decide to make it known to every body else and that includes which ever side of the fence you stand.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2167No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 31 20186 years317th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Mar 22 16:3520th Mar 22 16:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Racism : Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:48 pm  
JINJER wrote:

Sparkles is the worst example of someone dining out on the race card. You’d be hard pressed to know she had any black blood in her especially as she insists on straightening her hair, the only real African trait she has.

I seriously doubt that poser has ever suffered a moments racial abuse yet she’s weaponised it to suit her purposes. She’s made it an issue in her life when it simply isn’t and that must truly pee of people who suffer the real deal. That’s my gripe with the race argument it ends up being taken over by opportunists like Markle and that EDL bloke.

I was going to say Farage but he’s not a racist imo he’s a nationalist, there not the same though it’s a fine line, though they can be just as dangerous.

Finally blaming it on Brexit imo is a red herring. These divisions existed long before the referendum and would have surfaced regardless, do people really think people voted on a whim or out of ignorance? They knew exactly what they were voting for and would do it again, people who think otherwise demonstrate conclusively the arrogance of the Liberals!

I voted remain but only just, I fully respect those who didn’t, very few of whom had any racist motivation at all.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator20225
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 04 200816 years5th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

Re: Racism : Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:01 pm  
Fishermanscap wrote:
Sparkles is the worst example of someone dining out on the race card. You’d be hard pressed to know she had any black blood in her especially as she insists on straightening her hair, the only real African trait she has.

I seriously doubt that poser has ever suffered a moments racial abuse yet she’s weaponised it to suit her purposes. She’s made it an issue in her life when it simply isn’t and that must truly pee of people who suffer the real deal. That’s my gripe with the race argument it ends up being taken over by opportunists like Markle and that EDL bloke.

I was going to say Farage but he’s not a racist imo he’s a nationalist, there not the same though it’s a fine line, though they can be just as dangerous.

Finally blaming it on Brexit imo is a red herring. These divisions existed long before the referendum and would have surfaced regardless, do people really think people voted on a whim or out of ignorance? They knew exactly what they were voting for and would do it again, people who think otherwise demonstrate conclusively the arrogance of the Liberals!

I voted remain but only just, I fully respect those who didn’t, very few of whom had any racist motivation at all.

Alas you are way off with her.
She has had some serious racist abuse, and I mean criminally serious racism not mild racism.
And she is using her position to highlight it. Nothing wrong with that for me.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2710
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 10 20195 years60th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 20:1130th Mar 24 11:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Racism : Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:08 pm  
Big lads mate wrote:
Nail on head with that one PT, there’s a lot that could be classed racist to a white white person, for instance, the prison where I work has a paper delivered that it solely for the ethnic prisoners which I know causes some heated discussion between the others. Every body has an opinion about racism, brexit, immigration just that some decide to make it known to every body else and that includes which ever side of the fence you stand.

Every time I read/hear someone is upset about about race,gender,politics or whatever the topic is that day, I always remember what my dad used to say to me, as I profoundly deaf kid growing up on Lupset in the 1950s 60s wearing a huge battery pack amplifier and ear phones the size of dustbin lids I got a bit of stick from other kids, dad says to me “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.
I just wish some people would take the same view, and before some of you have a go at dad, he fought with the BEF, got back from Dunkirk just 2 days before the end of operation dynamo. He was a good man, that’s why I use this username.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator20225
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 04 200816 years5th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Racism : Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:19 pm  
Dunkirk Spirit wrote:
Every time I read/hear someone is upset about about race,gender,politics or whatever the topic is that day, I always remember what my dad used to say to me, as I profoundly deaf kid growing up on Lupset in the 1950s 60s wearing a huge battery pack amplifier and ear phones the size of dustbin lids I got a bit of stick from other kids, dad says to me “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.
I just wish some people would take the same view, and before some of you have a go at dad, he fought with the BEF, got back from Dunkirk just 2 days before the end of operation dynamo. He was a good man, that’s why I use this username.

Your dad is a real hero mate. No one would really have a go at him.

The sticks and stones thing is fine in its intention to make you feel better but unfortunately words are very powerful and can cause way more damage than sticks and stones.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2896
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 20159 years153rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 21:4415th Apr 24 19:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Racism : Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:59 pm  
Believe it or not my friend who I stand with a at Belle Vue was severley ticked off by a steward a couple of seasons ago, and was told "That's totally unacceptable" for shouting "Get back to Wigan" in a jocular manner to a small section of the visiting fans. How ridiculous is that????
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain200No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 28 20195 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Jan 20 12:0415th Jan 20 08:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Racism : Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:04 pm  
[quote="deeHell"]Of course having legitimate concerns about an additional million new citizens every couple of year having an impact on infrastructure, house prices, rents and creating an over supply of labour meets your definition of Racist. The assumption that Leave voters couldn't have possibly seen that without been brainwashed by the Daily Mail says more about your prejudices . If your someone like yourself who questions the educational level of the electorate that disagrees with you I see why can come to that conclusion. Accept your side lost the debate and move on.[/quote}

I voted remain, but accepted the result, and am ready to accept the UK leaving the EU.

The 'debate' you mention though, and in fact the whole way Brexit was put to the public, was based on proven lies and deceit.

I think that is now accepted by a lot of people who voted leave and that is why if it was put to the vote again I feel the result would be reversed.
PreviousNext