JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20 20158 years170th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 20:0114th Apr 24 11:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 5pm : Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:11 am  
Big names, and big salaries certainly dont always work out.

What happens if that player on the big salary, spends a while on the sidelines.

Something too has always intrigued me, is if you've say got some players on a certain salary, and you bring in a name who's say, on double that, what is the attitude like in a camp with those on the lower salary, and especially if that player under performs.

I read a piece in Rugby League world I while back, about a championship, or league 1 club, and every player was on identical contracts, to avoid any of that tension.

Going back to new signings, one ones that puts bums on seats, Chester has already said about a top quality NRL player. Were in talks with one, with another quota spot fee too, could either of those be one of them players.

Holding judgement until all recruitment complete
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13479
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 26 200617 years63rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 21:2112th Apr 24 13:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
1/10

Re: 5pm : Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:24 am  
Eastern Wildcat wrote:
Big names, and big salaries certainly dont always work out.

Something too has always intrigued me, is if you've say got some players on a certain salary, and you bring in a name who's say, on double that, what is the attitude like in a camp with those on the lower salary, and especially if that player under performs.

I read a piece in Rugby League world I while back, about a championship, or league 1 club, and every player was on identical contracts, to avoid any of that tension.

Going back to new signings, one ones that puts bums on seats, Chester has already said about a top quality NRL player. Were in talks with one, with another quota spot fee too, could either of those be one of them players.

Holding judgement until all recruitment complete

Guess it depends on how the star player conducts themselves. I imagine Hastings will be have on a greater wage than his colleagues, but I doubt any of them would begrudge that.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator20224
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 04 200816 years5th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 21:5215th Apr 24 19:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

Re: 5pm : Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:25 am  
I'd also say if Tom Johnstone and David Fifita don't put bums on seats there aren't many others that will.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain200No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 28 20195 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Jan 20 12:0415th Jan 20 08:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 5pm : Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:29 am  
[quote="Eastern Wildcat"]Big names, and big salaries certainly dont always work out.

I agree, doesn't do a lot to build team spirit.
An NRL player of some renown would be good, but not at any price and I'm sure the club wouldn't go to that anyway.
I'm quite happy with the way the team building is going already.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2167No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 31 20186 years312th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Mar 22 16:3520th Mar 22 16:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 5pm : Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:52 am  
PopTart wrote:
I'd also say if Tom Johnstone and David Fifita don't put bums on seats there aren't many others that will.

Agreed, 2017 and 2018 saw us play the best RL I've ever seen, two wingers averaging 20+ a season with plenty of high scoring wins. TJ probably scored the Trinity try of the millennium in 2016. Yet ticket sales did not rise by all that much.

The only way we will really up the attendances is two-fold IMO.

1: A better stadium.

2: Consistent success, ie regular top 5 and at least one piece of silverware. We need that parade up Wood street to wake people up, nothing less will really do it IMHO.

Signing names won't do it. Funny when you think that Salford had the Dr's millions thrown at them and did nothing. This year they were toted as relegation fodder or worse and end up at old Trafford. The lucky signing of Hastings helped massively but it's still a team game and look what happened, it probably saved the club.

We have our own Hastings in TJ and Fifita and if we can get them firing again they are better than any name signing and hopefully, they will lead us to success.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3610
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20 20158 years170th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 20:0114th Apr 24 11:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 5pm : Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:06 am  
I think a better, and much improved stadium will help FC, and would be increased even further with a successful season to go with it. Also with the stadium, you will not only get stay away home fans coming back, but even bigger crowds on the away gates too.

I know of fans from different clubs have stopped coming to BV because of the state its in, but an improvement, I'm sure, will bring fans back in, out of curiosity for a start. especially when its took so long in planning.

Would be good to attack it from a different angle to, with some good marketing in the run up
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5594
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 13 200321 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Oct 23 08:3723rd Aug 21 06:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
...Diagnosing SBD (Sporting Bipolar Disorder) since 2003...
Negs bringing down the tone of your forum? Keyboard Bell-endery tiresome? Embarrassed by some of your own fans?
Then you need...
TheButcher
I must be STOPPED!!
Vice Chairman of The Scarlet Turkey Clique
Grand Wizard Shill of Nibiru Prime & Dark Globe Champion
Chairman of 'The Neil Barker School for gifted Clowns'
"A Local Forum. For Local People"

Re: 5pm : Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:19 am  
Fwiw, 'big name' signings really only work when success has already happened. They wont convince the stay-away fans enough to buy a season ticket. Salford under Koukash is a great example of this. Flip it over, and success on the pitch really does put bums on seats. Salford this season is a great example of this. Or at least it was at the back-end of this season.

Be careful in hailing a new ground as the catalyst that draws in lapsed fans like moths to flames. Salford, again, a big example of resting on their laurels when we got a shiny new ground. Success on the pitch is really the only tried and tested way to bring fans back and hold onto them, that then becomes the start for all the other things happening.

I know it's been a tough couple of seasons for Wakey, and believe you me when I say I understand where you are all coming from, as I've been there myself. There isn't really a golden ticket for these things, but graft and good decisions being made at crucial times go a long way into getting the ball rolling in the right direction.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2167No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 31 20186 years312th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 5pm : Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:44 am  
TheButcher wrote:
Fwiw, 'big name' signings really only work when success has already happened. They wont convince the stay-away fans enough to buy a season ticket. Salford under Koukash is a great example of this. Flip it over, and success on the pitch really does put bums on seats. Salford this season is a great example of this. Or at least it was at the back-end of this season.

Be careful in hailing a new ground as the catalyst that draws in lapsed fans like moths to flames. Salford, again, a big example of resting on their laurels when we got a shiny new ground. Success on the pitch is really the only tried and tested way to bring fans back and hold onto them, that then becomes the start for all the other things happening.

I know it's been a tough couple of seasons for Wakey, and believe you me when I say I understand where you are all coming from, as I've been there myself. There isn't really a golden ticket for these things, but graft and good decisions being made at crucial times go a long way into getting the ball rolling in the right direction.

Gree completely but must point out that ours is not going to be a new ground, its hopefully going to be a new stand that will help drag a Victorian ground into the 21st century or at least one part of it. It will give us the ability to entertain the sort of people who we simply can't at the moment. So in its way, it should actually increase attendances and certainly revenue, especially if we have some success.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5594
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 13 200321 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Oct 23 08:3723rd Aug 21 06:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
...Diagnosing SBD (Sporting Bipolar Disorder) since 2003...
Negs bringing down the tone of your forum? Keyboard Bell-endery tiresome? Embarrassed by some of your own fans?
Then you need...
TheButcher
I must be STOPPED!!
Vice Chairman of The Scarlet Turkey Clique
Grand Wizard Shill of Nibiru Prime & Dark Globe Champion
Chairman of 'The Neil Barker School for gifted Clowns'
"A Local Forum. For Local People"

Re: 5pm : Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:49 am  
Fishermanscap wrote:
Gree completely but must point out that ours is not going to be a new ground, its hopefully going to be a new stand that will help drag a Victorian ground into the 21st century or at least one part of it. It will give us the ability to entertain the sort of people who we simply can't at the moment. So in its way, it should actually increase attendances and certainly revenue, especially if we have some success.

I stand corrected.

Certainly, any improvement will always help going forward, as long as your CEO doesn't then sit back and expect. It needs to be used as something that gets the fans excited again, and that enthusiasm can then be directed and developed.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2167No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 31 20186 years312th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 5pm : Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:06 am  
TheButcher wrote:
I stand corrected.

Certainly, any improvement will always help going forward, as long as your CEO doesn't then sit back and expect. It needs to be used as something that gets the fans excited again, and that enthusiasm can then be directed and developed.

Shouldn't be a problem as the last major structure built at BV was a programme shed. :lol: Not strictly true but no permanent stand has been built at BV since the 1950s and that was only a foof over an existing stand as far as I understand it. The old West Stand was Victorian, the still with us East stand and the big terrace behind the sticks Edwardian.

It's ironic but your old ground the Willows decrepit though it was, was considerably more modern than the current BV. Toilets that flush, roofs that don't leak and an unobstructed view alone will be enough to attract people, that's how tragic BV is. :(
PreviousNext