Board index Super League Wakefield Trinity Money in sport in USA.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Money in sport in USA.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:10 pm 
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:12 pm
Posts: 496
Whilst there will never be the money in British sport that's available & paid in USA, our sport - & - our big clubs will Never match money that they can pay !
Just announced, Baseball Yankee's have signed & are contracted to pay a player named cole, $324 million for 9 years, ie, contracted $ 36 million per year, yes one player.
When Ottawa & new York come in to RL, they have money available Way beyond our big clubs !
I am not bleating or against them, only factual reality, within 10 years or less, our game will have changed we as a UK sport will be unable to match them.
Indeed, there may well be another break away as a smaller sport of jnr sport, even our rich sugar daddies cannot match the money the American sports & businesses have available !

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Money in sport in USA.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:28 pm 
100% League Network
100% League Network
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am
Posts: 12395
Location: wakefield
The two aren't the same.
Yankees can only pay that because of money from TV, corporate sponsorship and massive merchandise contracts.
I'm pretty sure RL in New York is not going to have the same pull.






A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Money in sport in USA.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:46 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
Posts: 19564
TrinTrin wrote:Whilst there will never be the money in British sport that's available & paid in USA, our sport - & - our big clubs will Never match money that they can pay !
Just announced, Baseball Yankee's have signed & are contracted to pay a player named cole, $324 million for 9 years, ie, contracted $ 36 million per year, yes one player.
When Ottawa & new York come in to RL, they have money available Way beyond our big clubs !
I am not bleating or against them, only factual reality, within 10 years or less, our game will have changed we as a UK sport will be unable to match them.
Indeed, there may well be another break away as a smaller sport of jnr sport, even our rich sugar daddies cannot match the money the American sports & businesses have available !
then super league clubs will be feeder clubs and we will have lost half the fans as they will walk away






“The bond between the players is something I’ve never had with any other club. Everyone comes into one and we’re all one group. Whenever we get a new signing, everyone just embraces the culture. It’s what I love about this club and I just can’t wait for the journey ahead.”
the Big Bopper

STAY CALM WE'VE BEEN IN WORSE SITUATIONS

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Money in sport in USA.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:55 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:01 am
Posts: 11454
Location: No bowl, stick, STICK!
To be honest, if the game takes off in NA, I would have a little wry smile on my face as the big clubs who think they are too good for the smaller clubs suddenly find they become the bottom feeders, with arrogant comments from rival fans as to why they font deserve to be in the top flight etc.






1/10

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Money in sport in USA.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:57 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
Posts: 19564
Khlav Kalash wrote:To be honest, if the game takes off in NA, I would have a little wry smile on my face as the big clubs who think they are too good for the smaller clubs suddenly find they become the bottom feeders, with arrogant comments from rival fans as to why they font deserve to be in the top flight etc.
your right Saints Wigan and Leeds would have more players being scrutinised than us






“The bond between the players is something I’ve never had with any other club. Everyone comes into one and we’re all one group. Whenever we get a new signing, everyone just embraces the culture. It’s what I love about this club and I just can’t wait for the journey ahead.”
the Big Bopper

STAY CALM WE'VE BEEN IN WORSE SITUATIONS

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Money in sport in USA.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:03 pm 
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 5471
Garritt Cole's just signed for the Yankees, who are the 2nd most valuable sports team in the world, behind just the Dallas Cowboys. They play 162 games a season, 9 innings a game, that gives huge opportunities to earn massive amounts of sponsorship money from massive TV deals. Also MLB is the only thing gong on in the summer in the US, so even though attendances are going down, much like the NFL they're getting paid.

IMO Just because big time USA sports franchises hand out big contracts, doesn't mean anything as far as RL goes IMO. Bringing in a new sport into the USA has a long history, mainly a poor one , Americans are not that keen or interested in taking on anything new and different, even sports they play like Basketball of American football have had a number of big failures when tried outside the big 4 . Just look at how much money and time was thrown at football before it got any kind of proper foundations in the country. Rugby Union is similarly having the same types of struggles, even though RU has sevens in the Olympics as well as the USA in the WC, it's still very much small time.

As for huge contracts here's a list of the biggest, Cole ranks 5th, with Mike Trout another MLB player signing a 12 years 430 million dollar contract a bit ago. The list doesn't include a lot of European football players because their contract details have not been officially confirmed. This also skews the list towards sports with salary caps where salaries are therefore public knowledge and easy to cite. It shows how well MLB players are paid, mostly down to their players Union, which NFL players don't have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_sports_contracts

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Money in sport in USA.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:42 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 12892
PopTart wrote:The two aren't the same.
Yankees can only pay that because of money from TV, corporate sponsorship and massive merchandise contracts.
I'm pretty sure RL in New York is not going to have the same pull.


You are absolutely right but, it's all about just who becomes interested.
It's fair to say that the group of backers behind Toronto are somewhat wealthier than anyone involved in the game over here and you would expect that any side using the "New York" name would attract some decent investors.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Money in sport in USA.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:50 pm 
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:11 pm
Posts: 233
Shifty Cat wrote:Garritt Cole's just signed for the Yankees, who are the 2nd most valuable sports team in the world, behind just the Dallas Cowboys. They play 162 games a season, 9 innings a game, that gives huge opportunities to earn massive amounts of sponsorship money from massive TV deals. Also MLB is the only thing gong on in the summer in the US, so even though attendances are going down, much like the NFL they're getting paid.

IMO Just because big time USA sports franchises hand out big contracts, doesn't mean anything as far as RL goes IMO. Bringing in a new sport into the USA has a long history, mainly a poor one , Americans are not that keen or interested in taking on anything new and different, even sports they play like Basketball of American football have had a number of big failures when tried outside the big 4 . Just look at how much money and time was thrown at football before it got any kind of proper foundations in the country. Rugby Union is similarly having the same types of struggles, even though RU has sevens in the Olympics as well as the USA in the WC, it's still very much small time.

As for huge contracts here's a list of the biggest, Cole ranks 5th, with Mike Trout another MLB player signing a 12 years 430 million dollar contract a bit ago. The list doesn't include a lot of European football players because their contract details have not been officially confirmed. This also skews the list towards sports with salary caps where salaries are therefore public knowledge and easy to cite. It shows how well MLB players are paid, mostly down to their players Union, which NFL players don't have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_sports_contracts


Nah, don't agree, imo WT are the most valuable sports team in the world! :ROCKS:

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 





It is currently Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:41 pm

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alegend, Dunkirk Spirit, Eastern Wildcat, Fishermanscap, JINJER, Kettykat, Khlav Kalash, Kirmudgeonly, Lupsetbull, MOPSEY LIVES ON, phe13, Red, White and Blue, RickK, Sandal Cat, TheDreadnought, TrinityIHC, Trinityknight, willo109, Wollo-Wollo-Wollo-Wayoo and 226 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


It is currently Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:41 pm
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,995,0611,84877,9474,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Sun 9th Feb 15:00
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
CATALAN DRAGONS
Sun 16th Feb 15:00
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 21st Feb 19:45
SL
CASTLEFORD
v
WAKEFIELD
Sun 1st Mar 15:00
SL
SALFORD
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 6th Mar 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
HULL FC
Fri 13th Mar 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sun 22nd Mar 18:00
SL
TORONTO
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 27th Mar 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Thu 9th Apr 19:45
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 17th Apr 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
CASTLEFORD
Fri 24th Apr 19:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
WAKEFIELD
Sat 2nd May 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
WAKEFIELD
Sun 17th May 15:00
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
TORONTO
Sun 24th May 17:00
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
HULL KR
Fri 29th May 19:45
SL
HUDDERSFIELD
v
WAKEFIELD
Thu 11th Jun 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 21st Jun 15:00
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 26th Jun 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Thu 2nd Jul 19:45
SL
HULL FC
v
WAKEFIELD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





33

.