Jan 21 20204 years67th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 20:2015th Apr 24 12:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto : Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:01 pm  
snowie wrote:
still waiting poptart on where you think they bring income in, you tend to be quick to respond but on this occasion you've totally ignored my question

I'll be glad when the novelty of this overseas venture has worn off and we get to some normality

Agree.
I'd much rather see Featherstone, Halifax, Leigh or the Bulls in SL
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2896
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 20159 years153rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 20:0815th Apr 24 19:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto : Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:27 pm  
The whole concept of Super League including North American sides was a bonkers idea in the first place. The complete thing was obviously rushed through with out contemplating all aspects involved.
I would be pleased to see Toronto expelled from SL totally, and good riddance!
As for a successor we should look no further than Fev by virtue of the fact that they were runners up in the promotion play off. as to whether the authorities would allow a third side from the WMDC area is another matter.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator20225
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 04 200816 years5th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 19:2816th Apr 24 10:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

Re: Toronto : Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:21 pm  
snowie wrote:
you see this is the frustration when someone comes out with a statement and clearly you can't back it up

Ah ok. Completely missed this.

They don't bring income to Belle Vue but equally they don't take money out of Super League of which we take a bigger share.
Clearly it went wrong in the end but they had independent funding.
The idea being that it helps build interest over there so they can build others.

I'd far rather see Bradford back in the league but until they can fund themselves it's no real advantage to anyone either.

I'm not an expansionist at all costs like some but if the numbers stack up I'm ok with a strange location. Will it work long term? Who knows. Probably not. But if it did, rugby league would have great benefit from a Canadian or US market.
musson 
RankPostsTeam
International Star1692No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 01 201014 years254th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Mar 23 05:5416th Mar 23 19:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto : Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:28 pm  
PopTart wrote:
Why not? We have a French one.
It's all about the income it brings.

As ever I agree with PT

A competitive wolf pack can only be a positive thing for the game as a whole
snowie 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years317th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto : Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:35 pm  
PopTart wrote:
Ah ok. Completely missed this.

They don't bring income to Belle Vue but equally they don't take money out of Super League of which we take a bigger share.
Clearly it went wrong in the end but they had independent funding.
The idea being that it helps build interest over there so they can build others.

I'd far rather see Bradford back in the league but until they can fund themselves it's no real advantage to anyone either.

I'm not an expansionist at all costs like some but if the numbers stack up I'm ok with a strange location. Will it work long term? Who knows. Probably not. But if it did, rugby league would have great benefit from a Canadian or US market.

Give over you didn't miss this at all you never do you was hoping for it to drift away, anyway thank you for your correction as to they don't fetch anything to belle vue they are a gimmick that has now going to put off others investing into game.

Nothing positive has come from their inclusion
RankPostsTeam
International Star5139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 02 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Jul 21 12:383rd Jul 21 12:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto : Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:26 am  
Redscat wrote:
The whole concept of Super League including North American sides was a bonkers idea in the first place. The complete thing was obviously rushed through with out contemplating all aspects involved.
I would be pleased to see Toronto expelled from SL totally, and good riddance!
As for a successor we should look no further than Fev by virtue of the fact that they were runners up in the promotion play off. as to whether the authorities would allow a third side from the WMDC area is another matter.

Difficult to disagree with the first half of your post, but why Fev? Toulouse finished runner up in the competition over the season behind Twp, Leigh hammered Toulouse twice in the regular season, and I'm sure that the rest can point to having a valid claim to they're inclusion as well stating some sort of criteria which isn't available, it would be scandalous if Toronto were allowed back into any of the leagues never mind super league, maybe the fairest way would be to make those interested in joining super league from the championship have a tin pot play off series, just like they did last year when the best team by far which just happens to be Twp although winning all but one game were made to play in the play off's
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain595No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 26 20159 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Sep 20 20:4327th Sep 20 11:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto : Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:36 am  
wrencat1873 wrote:
How do you reconcile this with their agreement to see the season through and then a full 180 degree change of mind within a week, when they suddenly decided that their "Aussie" players visas would expire. Plus, non payment of wages (which was happening pre covid)

perhaps boris johnson is their chairman :SHOOT:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4130No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 01 200717 years141st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 07:5610th Apr 24 17:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
WAKEFIELD FANS ARE BORN, NOT MANUFACTURED.WE DO NOT CHOOSE, WE ARE CHOSEN. THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND NEED NO EXPLANATION. THOSE WHO DONT, DONT MATTER.

I AM THE SEEKER OF TRUTH AND
JUSTICE

Re: Toronto : Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:14 am  
I dont think most people realise how bad a state our sport is in, for me its ridiculous to say lets get a team going in Toronto and give them no money, If were having a go then back it 100 percent. For me it's a complete waste of time our game is 125 year old and we have never managed to get it into a working class, coal mining town 10 miles down the road in barnsley.
The amateur game is in bits teams are going to the wall and struggling for numbers season on season, times have changed you hardly see any kids on fields kicking or playing touch and pass and throwing the ball about. When you coach most kids now the majority of them have no basic knowledge of the game.
For me the game needs some interest we need the buzz of cas v wakey fev v cas and wakey to generate some interest. We need bradford back and we need teams like Halifax and Oldham proper rl areas to have some hope again.
Crowds are plummeting even in towns such as Wigan and none of the away teams supporters travel in the numbers they used to do. Quite simply rugby league is a dying sport with no one at the RFL capable of stopping it. We have got to generate interest the boxing day fixture should be made a 2 pointer and get these grounds full and some income coming in and sort international rl out, who the hell plans England v greece at bramall lane, morons at the RFL
RankPostsTeam
International Star2270No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 18 201014 years286th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 17:5817th Apr 24 17:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto : Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:39 am  
Did read an article regarding the potential owner. Was honest in saying the last administration made a mess of things. He was asked the question is it Superleague or bust which he honestly replied it really is. The question that followed up should have been. If you do come back and are relegated first year what then? If he comes back with we will fold they should stop there and forget any expansion all together. To be honest if they do come back what players are going to sign for them players with little choice or players that don’t really care about the club. SBW may return as the money might be too good to walk away from
RankPostsTeam
Moderator20225
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 04 200816 years5th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 19:2816th Apr 24 10:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

Re: Toronto : Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:54 am  
MOPSEY LIVES ON wrote:
I dont think most people realise how bad a state our sport is in, for me its ridiculous to say lets get a team going in Toronto and give them no money, If were having a go then back it 100 percent. For me it's a complete waste of time our game is 125 year old and we have never managed to get it into a working class, coal mining town 10 miles down the road in barnsley.
The amateur game is in bits teams are going to the wall and struggling for numbers season on season, times have changed you hardly see any kids on fields kicking or playing touch and pass and throwing the ball about. When you coach most kids now the majority of them have no basic knowledge of the game.
For me the game needs some interest we need the buzz of cas v wakey fev v cas and wakey to generate some interest. We need bradford back and we need teams like Halifax and Oldham proper rl areas to have some hope again.
Crowds are plummeting even in towns such as Wigan and none of the away teams supporters travel in the numbers they used to do. Quite simply rugby league is a dying sport with no one at the RFL capable of stopping it. We have got to generate interest the boxing day fixture should be made a 2 pointer and get these grounds full and some income coming in and sort international rl out, who the hell plans England v greece at bramall lane, morons at the RFL

I agree with much of that without quite thinking the game is dying any more than any other sport right now.
My issue is that a derby between Cas and Wakefield will bring interest but not to the sport as a whole, only to the few thousand people in our area.
Bringing a Toronto or similar type team, if they can get the likes of SBW to play brings universal interest. It has to be done right. But at the end of the day if the sport is dying it is dying because of lack of money. Fev or Leigh (or even Wakefield) are not going to solve that issue. Toronto might.
PreviousNext