JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 04 200816 years5th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 20:3821st Apr 24 16:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

Re: Toronto : Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:58 am  
snowie wrote:
Give over you didn't miss this at all you never do you was hoping for it to drift away, anyway thank you for your correction as to they don't fetch anything to belle vue they are a gimmick that has now going to put off others investing into game.

Nothing positive has come from their inclusion

Amazing as it may seem to you, I have other things in my life besides following you on this forum but I will try to keep up in future.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17881
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years48th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 15:5723rd Apr 24 12:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto : Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:44 am  
PopTart wrote:
I agree with much of that without quite thinking the game is dying any more than any other sport right now.
My issue is that a derby between Cas and Wakefield will bring interest but not to the sport as a whole, only to the few thousand people in our area.
Bringing a Toronto or similar type team, if they can get the likes of SBW to play brings universal interest. It has to be done right. But at the end of the day if the sport is dying it is dying because of lack of money. Fev or Leigh (or even Wakefield) are not going to solve that issue. Toronto might.

The real problem with dropping big name clubs into areas where RL has never been played is that they actually take from the clubs that are working so damned hard to sustain and build the game of RL in areas like Wakefield.

There is a best case scenario (magic bullet) where Toronto or New York gain huge exposure and motivate enough investors and kids to want to get involved in the sport and RL clubs start popping up all over the place and wouldn't that be great.
However, I know that Toronto have only been around for a short time, there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever of them wanting to do anything other than have a "headline" club and they actually spent just about all of their time over here.
Never were they truly Canandian and never did they make any strides to be Canadian.

Admittedly ,they did a fantastic job of getting bums on seats, something which many English clubs could learn from but, ultimately they were a name and not a "proper" club.

This scenario will kill the game over here.

If we trade an English club for a N. American club in SL, one for one, the whole lot starts to go down the plug hole.

For me, if the N. American experiment is to continue, there has to be some protection for the number of English clubs in the top flight or the whole shooting match in in jeopardy.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2982
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 13 20186 years43rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 09:5823rd Apr 24 11:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
We're all Trin aren't we?

Re: Toronto : Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:19 am  
little wayne69 wrote:
Difficult to disagree with the first half of your post, but why Fev? Toulouse finished runner up in the competition over the season behind Twp, Leigh hammered Toulouse twice in the regular season, and I'm sure that the rest can point to having a valid claim to they're inclusion as well stating some sort of criteria which isn't available, it would be scandalous if Toronto were allowed back into any of the leagues never mind super league, maybe the fairest way would be to make those interested in joining super league from the championship have a tin pot play off series, just like they did last year when the best team by far which just happens to be Twp although winning all but one game were made to play in the play off's

....because Fev lost the play off final....????
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2982
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 13 20186 years43rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Toronto : Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:23 am  
PopTart wrote:
I agree with much of that without quite thinking the game is dying any more than any other sport right now.
My issue is that a derby between Cas and Wakefield will bring interest but not to the sport as a whole, only to the few thousand people in our area.
Bringing a Toronto or similar type team, if they can get the likes of SBW to play brings universal interest. It has to be done right. But at the end of the day if the sport is dying it is dying because of lack of money. Fev or Leigh (or even Wakefield) are not going to solve that issue. Toronto might.

As we stand at the moment, you'd have to say might not.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2982
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 13 20186 years43rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Toronto : Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:25 am  
MOPSEY LIVES ON wrote:
I dont think most people realise how bad a state our sport is in, for me its ridiculous to say lets get a team going in Toronto and give them no money, If were having a go then back it 100 percent. For me it's a complete waste of time our game is 125 year old and we have never managed to get it into a working class, coal mining town 10 miles down the road in barnsley.
The amateur game is in bits teams are going to the wall and struggling for numbers season on season, times have changed you hardly see any kids on fields kicking or playing touch and pass and throwing the ball about. When you coach most kids now the majority of them have no basic knowledge of the game.
For me the game needs some interest we need the buzz of cas v wakey fev v cas and wakey to generate some interest. We need bradford back and we need teams like Halifax and Oldham proper rl areas to have some hope again.
Crowds are plummeting even in towns such as Wigan and none of the away teams supporters travel in the numbers they used to do. Quite simply rugby league is a dying sport with no one at the RFL capable of stopping it. We have got to generate interest the boxing day fixture should be made a 2 pointer and get these grounds full and some income coming in and sort international rl out, who the hell plans England v greece at bramall lane, morons at the RFL

Strange choice given that RL is played at a lower level in Barnsley.
As for working class mining town, not since 1986.....
Also your "10 mile" RL analogy doesnt really hold up when you look at Doncaster and a further 5 miles down the road, Sheffield.
RankPostsTeam
International Star5139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 02 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Jul 21 12:383rd Jul 21 12:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto : Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:54 am  
BarnsleyGull wrote:
....because Fev lost the play off final....????

Is that a question or a statement? if it's a question then why do you think I need four question marks, unless you just got over excited.
Fev lost in the final having overcome a couple of games in the money spinners, where as Toulouse came second in the regular season winning far more than Fev, my point being that putting favouritism to one side there are half a dozen clubs can argue they're point regarding their inclusion, just my opinion obviously.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4130No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 01 200717 years140th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Apr 24 12:5010th Apr 24 17:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
WAKEFIELD FANS ARE BORN, NOT MANUFACTURED.WE DO NOT CHOOSE, WE ARE CHOSEN. THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND NEED NO EXPLANATION. THOSE WHO DONT, DONT MATTER.

I AM THE SEEKER OF TRUTH AND
JUSTICE

Re: Toronto : Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:04 am  
BarnsleyGull wrote:
Strange choice given that RL is played at a lower level in Barnsley.
As for working class mining town, not since 1986.....
Also your "10 mile" RL analogy doesnt really hold up when you look at Doncaster and a further 5 miles down the road, Sheffield.
ok then weve not managed to crack working class areas like, Barnsley Sheffield, and Doncaster and course the 10 mile anology stands up and 125 years later and it's a nothing game in south Yorkshire.
They are football towns and city
FIL 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4350
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 18 200915 years49th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 21:0824th Apr 24 21:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
M.I.B. ??....nope - M.I.R.W.B !!!

Sent from my steam-powered Sinclair ZX81.

Re: Toronto : Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:11 pm  
MOPSEY LIVES ON wrote:
I dont think most people realise how bad a state our sport is in, for me its ridiculous to say lets get a team going in Toronto and give them no money, If were having a go then back it 100 percent. For me it's a complete waste of time our game is 125 year old and we have never managed to get it into a working class, coal mining town 10 miles down the road in barnsley.
The amateur game is in bits teams are going to the wall and struggling for numbers season on season, times have changed you hardly see any kids on fields kicking or playing touch and pass and throwing the ball about. When you coach most kids now the majority of them have no basic knowledge of the game.
For me the game needs some interest we need the buzz of cas v wakey fev v cas and wakey to generate some interest. We need bradford back and we need teams like Halifax and Oldham proper rl areas to have some hope again.
Crowds are plummeting even in towns such as Wigan and none of the away teams supporters travel in the numbers they used to do. Quite simply rugby league is a dying sport with no one at the RFL capable of stopping it. We have got to generate interest the boxing day fixture should be made a 2 pointer and get these grounds full and some income coming in and sort international rl out, who the hell plans England v greece at bramall lane, morons at the RFL

Whilst I generally disagree with your opinion on a lot of things on here, it is hard to disagree with any of that :thumb:
RankPostsTeam
International Star4999
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 07 201410 years96th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 18:3214th Apr 24 10:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto : Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:08 pm  
MOPSEY LIVES ON wrote:

Absolutely 100% on the money!!

I couldn’t agree more with everything you’ve said!!
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2896
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 20159 years151st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 20:5115th Apr 24 19:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Toronto : Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:38 pm  
MOPSEY LIVES ON wrote:
Agree with your post 100% MOPSEY, but what makes the whole thing so puzzling ie poor management of the sport, lack of investment , crowd apathy etc. is that we have the most spectacular, exciting sport in the world.

Just what do we have to do to make the rest of the country realise this fact.

I recall that not so long ago there was quite a lot of amateur RL activity in the Barnsley area, but not sure if it still is so.
PreviousNext