FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Taxi for Chester?
RankPostsTeam
International Star2544
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 19 201212 years81st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 13:0916th Apr 24 11:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Taxi for Chester? : Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:25 pm  
Think I would be happy watching Wakefield lose 18 -10 and win the second half 10- 6 to Sts than lose 36 -6and let 36 points be scored in the second half
RankPostsTeam
Moderator20225
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 04 200816 years5th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 14:0316th Apr 24 10:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

Re: Taxi for Chester? : Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:04 pm  
Emley Cat wrote:
It's absolutely irrelevent what club he's coaching now. You said in previous posts we're on a par with Salford didn't you? A team we should be looking to be level with cos we can't expect to beat the St Helens and Wigan's and Catalans. Salford, along with Leigh and Hull KR are our pitch. Well if Salford is our level then we should be aspiring to get to cup finals. You can't just move the goalposts to suit your argument. Ian Watson got Salford to 2 finals with a similar budget to Wakefield Trinity did he not? He didn't spend a shed load more money bringing in A lister after A lister, he got the best out of what he had. He picked up players from other teams not doing the business, even squad players not getting a game did some wheeler dealing and built a competitive hard to beat side.

I accept that Watson is a great coach and if he was at Wakefield I'd be very happy but just because Chester hasn't achieved what he has doesn't mean he's a bad coach.

But I keep seeing the stats to say, no matter what the circumstances, we are losing so Chester is bad but that doesn't apply to anyone else.

Yes I get he needs to improve things and maybe it's time to replace but at the moment we have a back line that would struggle in the championship. Until he gets his full team on the pitch I find it difficult to say its solely his fault.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4980No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 06 200618 years259th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Dec 23 15:2219th Oct 23 17:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'That is why no amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party.... So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin'

Re: Taxi for Chester? : Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:05 pm  
I think the A/B/C thing is a bit of a red herring, it's something that hasn't changed throughout our time in Super League and we've certainly had worse squads on paper perform better than we are doing now. As a club we have to rely on the team performing better than the sum of it's parts because we are never gonna be able to compete with most other clubs financially. The problem is that we are currently (and for a fair while now) performing worse than you would expect from the sum of our parts IMO and ultimately that responsibility lies with Chester
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35935
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 13:4618th Apr 24 10:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Taxi for Chester? : Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:02 am  
I don’t get this Watson bit.

He was a good coach at Salford but he was also a very lucky one.

When Chester joined us he was also lucky then it ran out.

If Chester’s luck doesn’t change he’s out and ditto Watson.

Finally anybody who doesn’t think luck plays a huge part in anyone’s life is deluded, in truth it’s the difference, without it talent will never be enough.

Those who think you can make your own luck please send me Saturdays lotto numbers, thanks.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2637No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 06 201212 years168th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 14:1911th Apr 24 16:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Taxi for Chester? : Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:01 am  
Chester fits the management team requirements. He's ready to accept the clubs budgets probably without question and in doing so makes his position tenable.
The real problem s for me is the clubs total lack of ambition and I that rubs off on the managers, and fans a like.
Surely in a professional sport the club has a responsibility to provide a competitive side and not settle for mediocrity.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2544
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 19 201212 years81st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 13:0916th Apr 24 11:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Taxi for Chester? : Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:05 am  
Vastman I come in peace How is Watson lucky , he built a team from nothing and got them to the G F ,he lost 5 of is so called star players ,built the team back up. and the season after got them to the C F and they played good rugby.Now he is at Huddersfield and from what I saw last night they look fit and play good rugby. Mr Chester took over a fit team, lived of the back of that for a few years,and now he as built us a team that because of age or a case of just not been good enough for S L .plays the worst rugby in Super League Know we have a small budget but think, there are coaches out there who could have done a lot better
RankPostsTeam
Moderator20225
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 04 200816 years5th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 14:0316th Apr 24 10:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

Re: Taxi for Chester? : Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:33 am  
alegend wrote:
Vastman I come in peace How is Watson lucky , he built a team from nothing and got them to the G F ,he lost 5 of is so called star players ,built the team back up. and the season after got them to the C F and they played good rugby.Now he is at Huddersfield and from what I saw last night they look fit and play good rugby. Mr Chester took over a fit team, lived of the back of that for a few years,and now he as built us a team that because of age or a case of just not been good enough for S L .plays the worst rugby in Super League Know we have a small budget but think, there are coaches out there who could have done a lot better

He was lucky because his star players stayed fit.
When we had a season where Grix Miller and Finn hardly missed a game we were comfortable in 5th and could have gone higher. If he'd lost Hastings for any length if time he'd have been down the middle and bottom with us.
He deserves credit for rebuilding and getting the team to perform at its best but Chester has done that in the past too. Right now he's struggling to get his team in the field. I agree about your aging team thing but equally, the guys missing aren't the old guys.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2634
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 22 20186 years171st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Apr 24 18:057th Apr 24 18:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Taxi for Chester? : Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:53 am  
PopTart wrote:
I accept that Watson is a great coach and if he was at Wakefield I'd be very happy but just because Chester hasn't achieved what he has doesn't mean he's a bad coach.

But I keep seeing the stats to say, no matter what the circumstances, we are losing so Chester is bad but that doesn't apply to anyone else.

Yes I get he needs to improve things and maybe it's time to replace but at the moment we have a back line that would struggle in the championship. Until he gets his full team on the pitch I find it difficult to say its solely his fault.

Come on PT surely in this situation you can see the difference?

Watson has built a new side and is 3 games in to his Giants career, we have a settled squad and are comparing to results over the last 3 years?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach164No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 21 200716 years312th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Apr 24 08:007th Dec 23 17:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Taxi for Chester? : Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:33 am  
PopTart wrote:
He was lucky because his star players stayed fit.
When we had a season where Grix Miller and Finn hardly missed a game we were comfortable in 5th and could have gone higher. If he'd lost Hastings for any length if time he'd have been down the middle and bottom with us.
He deserves credit for rebuilding and getting the team to perform at its best but Chester has done that in the past too. Right now he's struggling to get his team in the field. I agree about your aging team thing but equally, the guys missing aren't the old guys.

I don't think I disagree with much that has been said by anyone in this part of the thread - I would add though that I don't think luck kept Salford fit - Greg Brown did - and that man is an absolute magician of a conditioner. His moving back to Huddersfield (where he was before Salford) with Watson will very soon start to pay dividends for the Giants.
RankPostsTeam
International Star5116
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 23 201410 years89th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 10:448th Apr 24 12:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Taxi for Chester? : Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:45 am  
I was just reading that according to Chester we have a game plan which he works on studiously, this sometimes impacts his sleep. I can only assume that he must also dream that he passes this onto the team because they appear not to have one when they get on the pitch.
I am not on Facebook so don’t know what was posted but you can only revisit this trough so many times. He does like to play the victim but his job is to produce a winning team for which he is being paid. If he fails he can leave but the supporters must carry on and live with what he leaves behind. He admits he doesn’t know what he would have done without the support of Carter and his own family but as per usual no mention of how we the supporters feel having to endure a constant stream of subpar performances.
The bottom line is he takes no responsibility for the performances and I doubt he ever will, if we are relegated I am sure he will claim to have done everything possible but we just did it tough.
It is time for the club to tell him to move on and do his job and if he can’t then move over and let someone else have a go.
PreviousNext