RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Squad imbalances.
Re: Squad imbalances. Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:10 am  
REDWHITEANDBLUE User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2003 8:31 pm
Posts: 4010
We need a good attacking hooker who can distribute quickly and scoot some quick yards
[IMG]//i50.tinypic.com/a59ff5.gif[/IMG]
Re: Squad imbalances. Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:22 pm  
Kirmudgeonlyisback Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:28 pm
Posts: 135
1315trinity wrote:
Totally agree.
Tanginoa if used right would be devastating out wide.
Arona never was a prop although he’s Trinity through and through and does his best in that role.
We’re two good props short.


I think in the two good props department you can say that about most sl clubs - despite tanginoa probably being better in second row and arona better at loose we currently have a complete pack fit and we can't burst our way out of a paper bag
Re: Squad imbalances. Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:14 pm  

User avatarSchunter wrote:
Schunter User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:12 pm
Posts: 4849
Kirmudgeonlyisback wrote:
At the moment think a large part of the problem is our lack of self belief. Yes the squad is unbalanced, could argue that arona is a bit light at moment etc etc but for me we need a leader on the field and a spark

We’ve had far worse playing rosters than this that have managed better win averages / mainly as a result of the sum total of the team being better than the individual parts

At the moment our issue is that the individual parts add up to less than the whole.

To me it’s a leadership and belief issue not tinkering with marginal differences in the squad

On the arona v crowther v westerman at prop - westerman is our best loose forward by a mile this season, crowther is a great squad player who fills in - would switching arona and westerman make any difference to the second half collapse or our inability to score tries - definitely not


Just said similar on the other thread. We're under performing, I still think we have an ok squad especially considering our lack of resources
'That is why no amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party.... So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin'
Re: Squad imbalances. Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:43 am  

User avatarPopTart wrote:
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am
Posts: 14184
Location: wakefield
The 'Arona is too small' thing is just not true.

Stats against Sts
Made more tackles and more successful tackles than any other prop.
He made the same metres as Fifita in 5 less runs because his average metres gained was more than any other prop.
Same average gain as Walmsley actually.

You don't have to be big to be effective. He complements Fifita really well in my opinion.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Re: Squad imbalances. Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:21 am  

1315trinity wrote:
1315trinity Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:23 pm
Posts: 412
Location: Durkar
PopTart wrote:
The 'Arona is too small' thing is just not true.

Stats against Sts
Made more tackles and more successful tackles than any other prop.
He made the same metres as Fifita in 5 less runs because his average metres gained was more than any other prop.
Same average gain as Walmsley actually.

You don't have to be big to be effective. He complements Fifita really well in my opinion.


My own comments about Arona is not that he is 'too small' - I too agree that size is not everything for a prop. It's simply that he didn't come to us as a prop and IMO is better further back. OK, we're well off in the back row and LF positions, but by putting Arona and Tanginoa at prop is masking over the fact we are a couple of props short.
Green has been disappointing but perhaps there's time yet for him, Time, however, is fast running out for the club to start getting some points on the board and for our forwards to be more competitive.
Re: Squad imbalances. Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:28 am  

User avatarPat Bateman wrote:
Pat Bateman User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:57 pm
Posts: 797
Location: Wakefield
One of the best props I’ve ever seen Paul Gallen was 5:11 and 16 1/2 stone. Him in his pomp would of mullered anything in our competition giving away a lot of size to other forwards. You don’t need to be 6:5 and 19 stone to be a top prop, plenty of props kicking about who prove this. I think Arona is just a great player and plays effectively whether it be at prop or loose forward.
DONT TOUCH THE WATCH
Re: Squad imbalances. Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:35 am  

User avatarPopTart wrote:
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am
Posts: 14184
Location: wakefield
1315trinity wrote:
My own comments about Arona is not that he is 'too small' - I too agree that size is not everything for a prop. It's simply that he didn't come to us as a prop and IMO is better further back. OK, we're well off in the back row and LF positions, but by putting Arona and Tanginoa at prop is masking over the fact we are a couple of props short.
Green has been disappointing but perhaps there's time yet for him, Time, however, is fast running out for the club to start getting some points on the board and for our forwards to be more competitive.


OK. I see your point. I agree he's better at 13 but that may be because when he plays 13 there is another prop on the field.
Playing him at 13 improves us in one area but takes away what Westerman does so I'm ok with him at prop for now.

Tanginoa is the best Sr we have so I would just leave him there I agree. Which I think is Chester's intention.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alegend, bellycouldtackle, charlie, cheshirecat57, LG83, Lockers700, Luppylad, Manuel, PopTart, Scarlet Pimpernell, Schunter, The Avenger, Traffic, wakeytrin, Willzay and 205 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Wakefield Trinity

cron

POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,169,8751,63078,6316,308LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Sat 19th Jun
L1 RND: 7 West Wales10-60Crusaders
L1 RND: 7 LondonS14-24Barrow
NRL RND: 15 Newcastle10-6NZ Warriors
NRL RND: 15 St.George22-20Canberra
NRL RND: 15 Melbourne66-16Wests
SL RND: 10 Leigh22-64Hull FC
Fri 18th Jun
NRL RND: 15 NQL Cowboys24-26Cronulla
NRL RND: 15 Penrith32-18Sydney
SL RND: 10 Huddersfield8-9Salford
SL RND: 10 Wigan8-18Hull KR
Thu 17th Jun
NRL RND: 15 Brisbane0-46Souths
SL RND: 10 St.Helens2-6Warrington
Wed 16th Jun
SLRND: 10 Wakefield12-18Castleford
Mon 14th Jun
NRL RND: 14 Canterbury28-6St.George
Sun 13th Jun
WSL RND: 5 Hudds W8-44Wire W
NRL RND: 14 NZ Warriors16-42Melbourne
NRL RND: 14 Parramatta40-12Wests
CH RND: 9 Dewsbury12-56Toulouse
CH RND: 9 Featherstone44-0Bradford
CH RND: 9 Halifax30-6York
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 14
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 14 472 178 294 24
Penrith 14 418 133 285 24
Parramatta 14 400 224 176 22
Souths 13 341 282 59 20
Sydney 13 379 223 156 18
Manly 13 315 282 33 14
 
St.George 14 299 312 -13 12
NQL Cowboys 13 264 383 -119 12
Cronulla 13 244 298 -54 10
Gold Coast 14 318 380 -62 10
Canberra 13 257 321 -64 10
NZ Warriors 13 281 347 -66 10
Wests 14 292 374 -82 10
Newcastle 14 231 366 -135 10
Brisbane 14 232 436 -204 6
Canterbury 13 162 366 -204 4
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 10
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 9 268 142 126 16 188.73 88.89
St.Helens 9 208 76 132 14 273.68 77.78
Wigan 9 166 154 12 14 107.79 77.78
Warrington 10 308 159 149 15 193.71 75
Hull FC 10 243 165 78 13 147.27 65
Hull KR 10 241 212 29 12 113.68 60
 
Castleford 10 203 244 -41 10 83.20 50
Leeds 8 150 136 14 6 110.29 37.50
Huddersfield 9 158 171 -13 6 92.40 33.33
Wakefield 10 175 249 -74 4 70.28 20
Salford 10 115 297 -182 4 38.72 20
Leigh 10 156 386 -230 0 40.41 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 10
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 7 347 70 277 14 495.71 100
Featherstone 8 306 76 230 16 402.63 100
Bradford 9 228 216 12 14 105.56 77.78
Batley 8 228 160 68 12 142.50 75
LondonB 9 226 216 10 11 104.63 61.11
Halifax 9 271 135 136 10 200.74 55.56
 
York 9 219 180 39 8 121.67 44.44
Sheffield 9 211 249 -38 8 84.74 44.44
Widnes 9 226 263 -37 7 85.93 38.89
Dewsbury 8 115 227 -112 6 50.66 37.50
Newcastle 8 168 246 -78 5 68.29 31.25
Whitehaven 9 160 278 -118 5 57.55 27.78
Oldham 9 134 330 -196 4 40.61 22.22
Swinton 9 152 345 -193 0 44.06 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 6
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 6 251 66 185 12 380.30 100
Doncaster 6 250 126 124 10 198.41 83.33
Workington 6 210 106 104 10 198.11 83.33
Keighley 6 228 147 81 6 155.10 50
Hunslet 6 146 147 -1 6 99.32 50
Coventry 5 118 144 -26 4 81.94 40
 
Rochdale 6 161 196 -35 4 82.14 33.33
Crusaders 6 122 218 -96 4 55.96 33.33
LondonS 5 114 212 -98 2 53.77 20
West Wales 6 82 320 -238 0 25.63 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 6
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
St.HelensW 3 230 6 224 6 3,833.33 100
LeedsW 3 214 22 192 6 972.73 100
WiganW 3 158 18 140 6 877.78 100
CastlefordW 3 104 24 80 6 433.33 100
YorkW 3 76 102 -26 2 74.51 33.33
Wire W 4 86 154 -68 2 55.84 25
 
FeatherstoneW 4 74 164 -90 2 45.12 25
BradfordW 4 60 180 -120 2 33.33 25
Hudds W 4 46 222 -176 2 20.72 25
WakefieldW 3 16 172 -156 0 9.30 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X