RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Off Contract
Re: Off Contract Thu May 13, 2021 6:26 am  

User avatarvastman wrote:
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 31654
Location: Poodle Power!
Schunter wrote:
Still can’t believe how many Wakey fans failed to pick Brough in their SL dream team when we did that thread on here (think there was one on Wakey FB page too). Unfathomable


Ellis is the best all round player we have produced flowed by Westwood. We’ve actually produced a fair number of forwards but nearly all were utility and that’s fine.

We have only produced IMHO two specialist players of genuine world class potential. They are Danny Brough and Tom Johnstone.

I’m with you it baffles me, it was obvious with Brough from the start, ditto TJ.

We still have fans who don’t seem to realise what we had with Brough and what we still have (hopefully) in TJ.

We will not see a winger like TJ for another 20 years at least maybe never, just look at his try highlights video. Forget the injuries and stop looking for minor faults the kid is a genius at times, able to regularity score tries that virtually no other player on the planet can!

I don’t think we will ever have another Brough.

I’m afraid that if you didn’t play in the sixties or you’re older than Nigel Bell you just don’t register. Or at least not until you’ve been retired for 30 years.

It’s been a privilege to watch them both develop from youngsters.

Note, I’d prefer TJ as a son in law :WHISTLE:
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Off Contract Thu May 13, 2021 7:49 am  

alegend wrote:
alegend Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:32 pm
Posts: 1248
Vastman you had to be there to see how great it was The 60 and 70 years were class .20+ thousands crowds at a lot of grounds .Brilliant player's at a lot of clubs .90+ thousands for the Challenge Cup final and seen 95 thousand at Bradford when Wigan bet Wakefield and also against Huddersfield.Grounds full to the brim when the Australia rugby team came on tour What a night it was when Wakefield bet the Ozzy team .T J is turning in to one of the best wingers I have seen at Wakefield ,But when you have watch such as K Slater , G Coitzer and a few more, he is not there yet .Same with Brough , Both are the best i have seen in S L at Wakefield by far ,but think that T J like Brough will have to move to a bigger club to show how good he is
Re: Off Contract Thu May 13, 2021 8:04 am  

User avatarvastman wrote:
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 31654
Location: Poodle Power!
alegend wrote:
Vastman you had to be there to see how great it was The 60 and 70 years were class .20+ thousands crowds at a lot of grounds .Brilliant player's at a lot of clubs .90+ thousands for the Challenge Cup final and seen 95 thousand at Bradford when Wigan bet Wakefield and also against Huddersfield.Grounds full to the brim when the Australia rugby team came on tour What a night it was when Wakefield bet the Ozzy team .T J is turning in to one of the best wingers I have seen at Wakefield ,But when you have watch such as K Slater , G Coitzer and a few more, he is not there yet .Same with Brough , Both are the best i have seen in S L at Wakefield by far ,but think that T J like Brough will have to move to a bigger club to show how good he is


But that's the point, I wasn't there and neither were most people these days, it's half a century ago. We can't keep comparing the player of today to that team, especially as many of those who do it weren't even there.

We have to create current hero's, true it's slim pickings these days but Brough and TJ are two and need to be far more appreciated.

I'll be bold now and sorry if it offends but TJ would have got into that sixties team had he been around as would Brough. True ability transcends generations. It's not the fault of either of these players that they are at or were at the club when we were not a club at the top of the sport. We need to acknowledge the difference between team brilliance and the brilliance of an individual.

Neil Fox was a brilliant player in a brilliant team. I'm not suggesting Brough was ever as good a player as Fox as to me Fox's record looks astonishing but the main difference is that Broughy was a brilliant player in a not so brilliant team.

Hope that makes sense.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Off Contract Thu May 13, 2021 8:42 am  

supercat wrote:
supercat Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:34 pm
Posts: 2193
vastman wrote:
But that's the point, I wasn't there and neither were most people these days, it's half a century ago. We can't keep comparing the player of today to that team, especially as many of those who do it weren't even there.

We have to create current hero's, true it's slim pickings these days but Brough and TJ are two and need to be far more appreciated.

I'll be bold now and sorry if it offends but TJ would have got into that sixties team had he been around as would Brough. True ability transcends generations. It's not the fault of either of these players that they are at or were at the club when we were not a club at the top of the sport. We need to acknowledge the difference between team brilliance and the brilliance of an individual.

Neil Fox was a brilliant player in a brilliant team. I'm not suggesting Brough was ever as good a player as Fox as to me Fox's record looks astonishing but the main difference is that Broughy was a brilliant player in a not so brilliant team.

Hope that makes sense.



Totally agree (not going to make a habit of this btw) don’t like it when they compare people from the 50/60s as the game is a lot different now and human evolution has moved on over a hundred fold. 11 stone props would be run over by wingers these days. Don’t get me wrong I have watched a lot of footage and could see a lot of skill in the games but judging games and players from way back doesn’t compare to the game now and needs to be kept separate.
Re: Off Contract Thu May 13, 2021 9:20 am  

User avatarvastman wrote:
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 31654
Location: Poodle Power!
supercat wrote:
Totally agree (not going to make a habit of this btw) don’t like it when they compare people from the 50/60s as the game is a lot different now and human evolution has moved on over a hundred fold. 11 stone props would be run over by wingers these days. Don’t get me wrong I have watched a lot of footage and could see a lot of skill in the games but judging games and players from way back doesn’t compare to the game now and needs to be kept separate.



Really, was that needed?

But yes it's a pointless comparison both in terms of players and probably even more so as clubs.

I suppose where players are concerned it's subjective to a degree but the way teams are run and managed these days it's a million miles away.

I mean I don't even think Ken Trail was full time was he? Let alone anyone else either in the coaching or admin.

It's so much harder these days where money doesn't just buy players it buys a full support system.

I wasn't there but I'd venture to say it was a more even playing filed in those days.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Off Contract Thu May 13, 2021 9:25 am  

User avatarPopTart wrote:
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am
Posts: 14596
Location: wakefield
It was even in the sense that if Featherstone suddenly had a generation of big lads then their team would be good because people didn't travel and move like they used to, but money still talked if the big clubs wanted a player.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Re: Off Contract Thu May 13, 2021 12:29 pm  

User avatarvastman wrote:
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 31654
Location: Poodle Power!
PopTart wrote:
It was even in the sense that if Featherstone suddenly had a generation of big lads then their team would be good because people didn't travel and move like they used to, but money still talked if the big clubs wanted a player.


True but you at least got those one-season wonder teams before they got picked dry, not these days.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Off Contract Thu May 13, 2021 4:13 pm  

alegend wrote:
alegend Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:32 pm
Posts: 1248
Vastman you got a good point about T J been good enough to play in the 60 ,70 ,But a lot of backs would have been good enough to play now. Agree you can not compare ,but the game then was built on skill ,now it's built on fittnes
Re: Off Contract Thu May 13, 2021 5:35 pm  

User avatarvastman wrote:
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 31654
Location: Poodle Power!
alegend wrote:
Vastman you got a good point about T J been good enough to play in the 60 ,70 ,But a lot of backs would have been good enough to play now. Agree you can not compare ,but the game then was built on skill ,now it's built on fittnes


Totally agree on the last bit. Clearly you have to be fit but full time should allow both fitness and skill, certainly at SL level. Something is wrong with the system imho.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Off Contract Sat May 15, 2021 4:58 pm  

lampyboy wrote:
lampyboy Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:56 pm
Posts: 2099
Any type of news or rumours regarding our off contract players.
Will Chester be involved in recruitment and retaining. Most clubs seem to be expressing an interest in players available
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Belle Vue, Billy Butcher, Brightside, Google Adsense [Bot], KevW60349, Khlav Kalash, Manuel, Redscat, ricardo07, Scarlet Pimpernell, Teltry, TimmySmith, Trojan Horse, westgaterunner and 204 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Wakefield Trinity


When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Sat 18th Sep
NRL
LIVE
Penrith8-6Parramatta
CH
LIVE
Newcastle12-82Toulouse
L1
LIVE
Crusaders14-28Keighley
Fri 17th Sep
SL RND: 25 Leeds36-12Hull KR
SL RND: 25 Salford26-14St.Helens
SLRND: 25 Wakefield44-12Hull FC
SL RND: 25 Wigan12-8Catalans
NRL RND: 27 Manly42-6Sydney
Thu 16th Sep
SL RND: 25 Castleford24-40Warrington
Sun 12th Sep
SLRND: 24 Leigh26-18Wakefield
NRL RND: 26 Parramatta28-20Newcastle
CH RND: 21 Batley24-31Dewsbury
CH RND: 21 LondonB28-48Featherstone
CH RND: 21 Oldham24-38Newcastle
CH RND: 21 Whitehaven19-6Halifax
CH RND: 21 Widnes10-9Bradford
CH RND: 21 Sheffield28-34Swinton
L1 RND: 21 Workington14-32Hunslet
L1 RND: 21 Doncaster26-28Keighley
L1 RND: 21 Rochdale50-22Coventry
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 25
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 15 538 194 344 26
Penrith 15 420 139 281 26
Parramatta 15 436 234 202 24
Souths 14 387 282 105 22
Sydney 14 397 255 142 18
Manly 14 371 306 65 16
St.George 15 321 332 -11 14
Cronulla 14 270 322 -52 12
 
NQL Cowboys 14 288 409 -121 12
Newcastle 15 241 372 -131 12
NZ Warriors 14 287 357 -70 10
Gold Coast 15 330 406 -76 10
Canberra 15 283 387 -104 10
Wests 15 308 440 -132 10
Brisbane 16 258 500 -242 8
Canterbury 15 172 468 -296 4
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 25
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 23 688 398 290 38 172.86 82.61
St.Helens 21 548 229 319 32 239.30 76.19
Warrington 21 588 354 234 31 166.10 73.81
Wigan 25 387 385 2 30 100.52 60
Leeds 24 556 440 116 26 126.36 54.17
Hull KR 20 497 458 39 20 108.52 50
 
Castleford 23 439 552 -113 22 79.53 47.83
Hull FC 21 409 476 -67 17 85.92 40.48
Wakefield 24 482 548 -66 18 87.96 37.50
Huddersfield 23 418 492 -74 16 84.96 34.78
Salford 22 402 586 -184 14 68.60 31.82
Leigh 21 332 828 -496 4 40.10 9.52
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 20
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 13 616 112 504 26 550 100
Featherstone 19 817 254 563 34 321.65 94.74
Halifax 19 512 323 189 26 158.51 68.42
Bradford 18 483 455 28 24 106.15 66.67
LondonB 18 504 499 5 21 101 63.89
Batley 19 525 370 155 24 141.89 63.16
 
Whitehaven 20 447 496 -49 21 90.12 52.50
York 19 470 455 15 16 103.30 42.11
Widnes 19 458 509 -51 15 89.98 39.47
Newcastle 18 381 521 -140 13 73.13 36.11
Sheffield 18 382 553 -171 13 69.08 36.11
Dewsbury 19 308 570 -262 13 54.04 34.21
Oldham 19 270 691 -421 5 39.07 13.16
Swinton 20 354 719 -365 3 49.24 7.50
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 22
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 17 596 275 321 27 216.73 79.41
Workington 15 471 310 161 21 151.94 70
Keighley 19 640 399 241 25 160.40 65.79
Doncaster 17 472 390 82 22 121.03 64.71
Crusaders 18 553 438 115 22 126.26 61.11
Hunslet 18 562 435 127 20 129.20 55.56
 
Rochdale 17 505 488 17 17 103.48 50
Coventry 17 407 460 -53 12 88.48 35.29
LondonS 18 292 577 -285 7 50.61 19.44
West Wales 18 208 896 -688 1 23.21 2.78
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
St.HelensW 7 370 36 334 12 1,027.78 85.71
WiganW 6 222 64 158 10 346.88 83.33
YorkW 6 186 102 84 8 182.35 66.67
CastlefordW 6 166 96 70 8 172.92 66.67
BradfordW 8 158 264 -106 6 59.85 37.50
Hudds W 7 104 288 -184 4 36.11 28.57
 
Wire W 8 150 334 -184 4 44.91 25
FeatherstoneW 8 122 338 -216 4 36.09 25
LeedsW 7 364 38 326 14 957.89 100
WakefieldW 7 50 332 -282 0 15.06 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X
::::::::