RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Leeds up next game
Re: Leeds up next game Tue May 11, 2021 2:01 pm  

Sacred Cow wrote:
Sacred Cow Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:07 pm
Posts: 2615
Kettykat wrote:
Would certainly be looking at headgear from now on if I were Tom ,his playing career is only a very short span compared with the rest of his life . I certainly wouldn’t be looking overseas for a career change when you see the biff those guys take week in week out . Let’s hope he comes through this fine and can get that England call up he so richly deserves

Certainly not my area of expertise but several studies have been done by all accounts and apparently headgear makes no difference to concussions, just cuts etc. By all accounts they can actually cause more problems by giving a false sense of security and thus causing risk taking.
Re: Leeds up next game Tue May 11, 2021 2:17 pm  

User avatarvastman wrote:
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 31290
Location: Poodle Power!
Sacred Cow wrote:
Certainly not my area of expertise but several studies have been done by all accounts and apparently headgear makes no difference to concussions, just cuts etc. By all accounts they can actually cause more problems by giving a false sense of security and thus causing risk taking.


I believe they do cut the risk of concussion but not by a huge amount. What I suspect they don't do is protect you once you've been concussed and are suffering side effects. So in TJ's case, it's too late.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Leeds up next game Tue May 11, 2021 2:42 pm  

Sacred Cow wrote:
Sacred Cow Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:07 pm
Posts: 2615
vastman wrote:
I believe they do cut the risk of concussion but not by a huge amount. What I suspect they don't do is protect you once you've been concussed and are suffering side effects. So in TJ's case, it's too late.

You believe wrong going by a very quick google search, problem is you are not alone there and that is the problem. The misconception is they help whereas the experts say they don't and can do more harm than good. They will help stop you getting a cut head or a cauliflower lug though. One thing for sure much more needs to be done to investigate this and educate clubs and coaches. My brother looked into this a while back with his young one showing an interest in playing and was surprised to find they made no difference despite sugestions by junior club staff that they would. A bit of light reading if you fancy it....
https://www.brain-injury-law-center.com/blog/scrum-caps-rugby/
Do Scrum Caps Prevent Concussions?
Although rugby players sometimes wear protective headgear with the belief that it will prevent head injuries, research has shown it offers no significant protection against concussions.
Some rugby players opt to use a type of headgear called a scrum cap. A scrum cap is ideal for protecting the ears and reducing superficial head injuries, including lacerations and abrasions.
Many believe concussions are caused by a blow to the head. However, concussions result from neural whiplash, whereby the entire head accelerates and bruises or damages the brain. Scrum caps simply can’t protect against this. For this reason, it is a misconception to believe they are effective at preventing concussions.
Several studies found no difference in concussion rates between players who did and did not wear scrum caps. Of the rugby players who regularly wore scrum caps, 63% reported concussions while 55% who did not wear headgear experienced concussions.

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellness/the-message-is-still-not-getting-through-why-headgear-doesn-t-prevent-concussion-20190628-p5226p.html
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19127196/
Re: Leeds up next game Tue May 11, 2021 2:53 pm  

Luppylad wrote:
Luppylad Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:50 pm
Posts: 655
vastman wrote:
I believe they do cut the risk of concussion but not by a huge amount. What I suspect they don't do is protect you once you've been concussed and are suffering side effects. So in TJ's case, it's too late.


Hospital told us headguards make no difference if anything make things worse for 2 reasons 1 you think your invincible cos of it and 2 due to the pressure they can hold in when you take a bang to the head.i was told this when my lad took a head knock.also the young lad from stanley was wearing one when he took the knock back in 2017....

Gutted for tom his health is the most important thing but if he does come back think as much as i think he is great thinknits time maybe he was sold could get a bit of cash but hes one of if not our best earner and qe dont have the budget to have sombody on that money constantly in the stands
Re: Leeds up next game Tue May 11, 2021 3:16 pm  

User avatarvastman wrote:
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 31290
Location: Poodle Power!
Sacred Cow wrote:
You believe wrong going by a very quick google search, problem is you are not alone there and that is the problem. The misconception is they help whereas the experts say they don't and can do more harm than good. They will help stop you getting a cut head or a cauliflower lug though. One thing for sure much more needs to be done to investigate this and educate clubs and coaches. My brother looked into this a while back with his young one showing an interest in playing and was surprised to find they made no difference despite sugestions by junior club staff that they would. A bit of light reading if you fancy it....
https://www.brain-injury-law-center.com/blog/scrum-caps-rugby/
Do Scrum Caps Prevent Concussions?
Although rugby players sometimes wear protective headgear with the belief that it will prevent head injuries, research has shown it offers no significant protection against concussions.
Some rugby players opt to use a type of headgear called a scrum cap. A scrum cap is ideal for protecting the ears and reducing superficial head injuries, including lacerations and abrasions.
Many believe concussions are caused by a blow to the head. However, concussions result from neural whiplash, whereby the entire head accelerates and bruises or damages the brain. Scrum caps simply can’t protect against this. For this reason, it is a misconception to believe they are effective at preventing concussions.
Several studies found no difference in concussion rates between players who did and did not wear scrum caps. Of the rugby players who regularly wore scrum caps, 63% reported concussions while 55% who did not wear headgear experienced concussions.

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellness/the-message-is-still-not-getting-through-why-headgear-doesn-t-prevent-concussion-20190628-p5226p.html
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19127196/


Fair enough, maybe we need those NFL-style ones, now they must help a little?

PS: I'd have probably accepted that you had looked into it and they don't but very well researched I'll give you that. :wink:
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Leeds up next game Wed May 12, 2021 6:09 pm  
Wakefield City Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:01 pm
Posts: 530
Come on Wakefield let’s get stuck into em

Up the Trin
Re: Leeds up next game Wed May 12, 2021 6:33 pm  

User avatarPopTart wrote:
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am
Posts: 14273
Location: wakefield
Damage to the head and concussion are two different things.
You don't even need a head knock for concussion. It can be a whiplash effect too.

Lots of studies on this now.
Isn't the film about NFL called concussion?
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1315trinity, 1948er, alegend, Brightside, cocker, djcool, Dunkirk Spirit, Mable_Syrup, phe13, REDWHITEANDBLUE, sarge1, Scarlet Pimpernell, Schunter, Slugger McBatt, steadygetyerboots-on, supercat, Trojan Horse, wakeytrin, Willzay, Wollo-Wollo-Wollo-Wayoo, WRENNYAL and 202 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Wakefield Trinity


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,188,3691,73978,6789,567LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Mon 2nd Aug
NRL RND: 20 Canterbury6-34Gold Coast
NRL RND: 20 Cronulla22-40Manly
SL RND: 17 Castleford16-34Huddersfield
SL RND: 17 Hull FC10-42St.Helens
SL RND: 17 Hull KR16-23Catalans
Sun 1st Aug
NRL RND: 20 St.George14-50Souths
NRL RND: 20 Newcastle34-24Canberra
NRL RND: 20 Melbourne37-10Penrith
CH RND: 15 Dewsbury18-22Swinton
CH RND: 15 Featherstone6-23Toulouse
CH RND: 15 Halifax24-21Bradford
CH RND: 15 Newcastle14-20Whitehaven
CH RND: 15 Oldham20-30LondonB
CH RND: 15 Widnes16-34Batley
L1 RND: 12 Doncaster24-46Hunslet
L1 RND: 12 Crusaders72-4West Wales
L1 RND: 12 Rochdale20-42Keighley
SL RND: 17 Wigan50-6Leigh
SL RND: 17 Leeds26-27Warrington
Sat 31st Jul
L1 RND: 12 LondonS12-14Coventry
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 20
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 19 689 224 465 34
Penrith 19 521 228 293 32
Souths 19 613 382 231 32
Parramatta 19 484 295 189 26
Sydney 19 509 343 166 26
Manly 19 569 400 169 24
Gold Coast 19 460 484 -24 16
Cronulla 19 392 458 -66 16
 
Canberra 19 383 465 -82 16
St.George 19 382 464 -82 16
Newcastle 19 325 472 -147 16
NZ Warriors 19 373 502 -129 12
Wests 19 412 564 -152 12
NQL Cowboys 19 358 584 -226 12
Brisbane 19 331 578 -247 10
Canterbury 19 242 600 -358 4
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 17
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 16 482 262 220 30 183.97 93.75
St.Helens 13 328 106 222 22 309.43 84.62
Warrington 15 456 247 209 23 184.62 76.67
Wigan 17 305 295 10 22 103.39 64.71
Hull FC 14 308 279 29 15 110.39 53.57
Leeds 16 380 290 90 16 131.03 50
 
Hull KR 12 287 267 20 12 107.49 50
Castleford 15 267 388 -121 12 68.81 40
Huddersfield 16 278 334 -56 10 83.23 31.25
Salford 14 237 405 -168 8 58.52 28.57
Wakefield 16 279 394 -115 8 70.81 25
Leigh 14 218 558 -340 0 39.07 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 16
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 10 456 94 362 20 485.11 100
Featherstone 14 579 189 390 24 306.35 92.86
Halifax 15 422 220 202 22 191.82 73.33
LondonB 14 404 357 47 17 113.17 67.86
Batley 15 404 302 102 20 133.77 66.67
Bradford 14 375 339 36 18 110.62 64.29
 
Whitehaven 15 297 410 -113 13 72.44 43.33
Widnes 14 323 378 -55 11 85.45 39.29
Sheffield 14 313 413 -100 11 75.79 39.29
Newcastle 14 298 420 -122 11 70.95 39.29
York 14 345 327 18 10 105.50 35.71
Dewsbury 14 215 401 -186 9 53.62 32.14
Oldham 14 210 500 -290 4 42 14.29
Swinton 15 256 547 -291 2 46.80 6.67
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 13
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 11 382 162 220 19 235.80 86.36
Workington 9 334 158 176 15 211.39 83.33
Doncaster 11 348 251 97 15 138.65 68.18
Crusaders 11 350 322 28 12 108.70 54.55
Keighley 12 410 279 131 13 146.95 54.17
Hunslet 12 334 301 33 11 110.96 45.83
 
Coventry 11 258 264 -6 10 97.73 45.45
Rochdale 11 299 322 -23 10 92.86 45.45
LondonS 12 192 350 -158 7 54.86 29.17
West Wales 12 126 586 -460 0 21.50 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
LeedsW 7 364 38 326 14 957.89 100
St.HelensW 7 370 36 334 12 1,027.78 85.71
WiganW 6 222 64 158 10 346.88 83.33
YorkW 6 186 102 84 8 182.35 66.67
CastlefordW 6 166 96 70 8 172.92 66.67
BradfordW 8 158 264 -106 6 59.85 37.50
 
Hudds W 7 104 288 -184 4 36.11 28.57
Wire W 8 150 334 -184 4 44.91 25
FeatherstoneW 8 122 338 -216 4 36.09 25
WakefieldW 7 50 332 -282 0 15.06 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X