JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 26 20186 years214th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 13:2821st Apr 24 15:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Tonight’s zoom meeting : Tue May 11, 2021 9:16 pm  
Just watched don’t get the doom and gloom on here. Thought it was a good honest informative meeting, Pleased ground news still positive and how important this is to our future, new floodlights starting this week.

Up the Trin
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35944
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 16:0126th Apr 24 15:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Tonight’s zoom meeting : Wed May 12, 2021 6:35 am  
Wakefield City wrote:
Just watched don’t get the doom and gloom on here. Thought it was a good honest informative meeting, Pleased ground news still positive and how important this is to our future, new floodlights starting this week.

Up the Trin

Same here.

Considering the pressure at the moment they both seemed in good humour. I suppose people want those in charge to wave a magic wand which they can't always do.

Thought they both looked tired but Zoom has that effect on people.

To be honest, these meetings are of little use for on-field issues, I mean what exactly can they say.

The off-field stuff is way more interesting and I thought that was all pretty positive if a little vague.

Overall it made me happier than I thought it would to be honest :D
jonh 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20146No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 27 200321 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 11:5726th Apr 24 16:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Signature
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.

Re: Tonight’s zoom meeting : Wed May 12, 2021 8:26 am  
Scarlet Pimpernell wrote:
On the face of it we have a reasonable squad that should be competitive in games however once again I sense that it’s all about money, it isn’t we have produced successful teams with a weaker squad and a lot less money. It is currently more to do with coaching and attitude both of which we lack.

This for me is the biggest misconception.

We don’t have a reasonable squad that should not competitive.

We have an ageing squad, past its sell by date that badly needs freshening up.

You could have Wayne Bennett as coach but with this set of players they are not going to trouble most sides.

Clearly there is always an anomaly, but within that you need to look deeper.

Salford had Hastings who was by far the best player in the comp along with some real quality in the spine like Lussick and Evalds, interesting to see non of those playing for Salford now...but it isn’t about money.

Trinity when we over achieved had age wise a squad at its peak and a player like Fafita who was the best prop in the league. We also had the likes of Finn who was the perfect foil for Milky with Willians as cover (which thinking back now is ridiculous) and players like Ashurst and Lyne pushing for international selection with Toupu proving to another player who came without much fanfare but over achieved initially.

Our key player now seems to be a wingman and Joe Westerman 31.

Fafita is 31 and had 2 years with injury clouding his career, Ashurst, Topou, Arona, Wood, Pitts, Green are all a similar age bracket.

We’ve upgraded and stayed loyal to players who once proved good value, but now more than likely have inflated salaries in relation to what they bring to the team. We have yet to unearth a few gems that overachieve and that is what is hurting us especially with such a small budget.

To a certain extent I believe we are paying the heavy price of overachieving several years back.

I’ve seen Cas mentioned as a club who seem to do ok despite not having big a huge budget to play with.

That’s probably true of late but again it only takes a few players to over perform. It will be very interesting to see what happens next year with a core of important players need replacing as they move to “bigger clubs” and other key plays notch up another birthday.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2638
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 22 20186 years169th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 16:5725th Apr 24 12:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Tonight’s zoom meeting : Wed May 12, 2021 8:38 am  
jonh wrote:

You could have Wayne Bennett as coach but with this set of players they are not going to trouble most sides.

Salford had Hastings who was by far the best player in the comp along with some real quality in the spine like Lussick and Evalds, interesting to see non of those playing for Salford now...but it isn’t about money.

Trinity when we over achieved had age wise a squad at its peak and a player like Fafita who was the best prop in the league. We also had the likes of Finn who was the perfect foil for Milky with Willians as cover (which thinking back now is ridiculous) and players like Ashurst and Lyne pushing for international selection with Toupu proving to another player who came without much fanfare but over achieved initially.

Fafita is 31 and had 2 years with injury clouding his career, Ashurst, Topou, Arona, Wood, Pitts, Green are all a similar age bracket.

We’ve upgraded and stayed loyal to players who once proved good value, but now more than likely have inflated salaries in relation to what they bring to the team. We have yet to unearth a few gems that overachieve and that is what is hurting us especially with such a small budget.

To a certain extent I believe we are paying the heavy price of overachieving several years back.

I’ve seen Cas mentioned as a club who seem to do ok despite not having big a huge budget to play with.

That’s probably true of late but again it only takes a few players to over perform. It will be very interesting to see what happens next year with a core of important players needing replacing as they move to “bigger clubs”.

The difference with Cas next year Jon will be the coach, you can bat on about players overperforming for them all you want, but they still looked a decent side playing Millington and McShane in the halves, players have come and gone, they have gone through injury crisis similar to us and yet Cas have never looked a poor side whilst Powell has been there in my opinion.
jonh 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20146No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 27 200321 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Tonight’s zoom meeting : Wed May 12, 2021 9:11 am  
homme vaste wrote:
The difference with Cas next year Jon will be the coach, you can bat on about players overperforming for them all you want, but they still looked a decent side playing Millington and McShane in the halves, players have come and gone, they have gone through injury crisis similar to us and yet Cas have never looked a poor side whilst Powell has been there in my opinion.

I would agree with that.

They have key players over achieving compared to expectation and also a core of very good youngsters who have done well for them.

Many of those are now attracting interest from others and look likely to go.

Cas will have to do some major rebuilding the likes they have not had to do for a long time and I think it will be interesting to see how they go about it.

Hopefully we survive in SL and we have a similar task in the off-season as players contracts run down.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4130No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 01 200717 years140th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 06:4310th Apr 24 17:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
WAKEFIELD FANS ARE BORN, NOT MANUFACTURED.WE DO NOT CHOOSE, WE ARE CHOSEN. THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND NEED NO EXPLANATION. THOSE WHO DONT, DONT MATTER.

I AM THE SEEKER OF TRUTH AND
JUSTICE

Re: Tonight’s zoom meeting : Wed May 12, 2021 9:17 am  
jonh wrote:

That’s probably true of late but again it only takes a few players to over perform. It will be very interesting to see what happens next year with a core of important players need replacing as they move to “bigger clubs” and other key plays notch up another birthday.

So basically we carry on doing the same things, the same game plans, the same structures over and over and over even though they don’t work. If you can’t see the problems when they are starring you in the face, you can’t find the solutions.
jonh 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20146No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 27 200321 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Tonight’s zoom meeting : Wed May 12, 2021 9:27 am  
MOPSEY LIVES ON wrote:
So basically we carry on doing the same things, the same game plans, the same structures over and over and over even though they don’t work. If you can’t see the problems when they are starring you in the face, you can’t find the solutions.

I think the club needs refreshing from top to bottom coach and players.

I just don’t believe it is solely a coaching issue as some seem to think.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2638
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 22 20186 years169th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 16:5725th Apr 24 12:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Tonight’s zoom meeting : Wed May 12, 2021 9:48 am  
jonh wrote:

But who`s responsible the squad we have? Who` responsible for deciding which players we have brought in, which players we have retained and which players we have released?

I could of understood if this was a squad he had inherited and been here a year or 2 but he has had chance after chance to refresh the squad, he hasn`t and when he has on a smaller scale he has got it very wrong IMO.

Part of a coaches job is to identify what we need, identify the right players for the club and implementing them into the squad, getting them playing well. It is more than anything a coaching issue IMO.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4130No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 01 200717 years140th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 06:4310th Apr 24 17:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
WAKEFIELD FANS ARE BORN, NOT MANUFACTURED.WE DO NOT CHOOSE, WE ARE CHOSEN. THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND NEED NO EXPLANATION. THOSE WHO DONT, DONT MATTER.

I AM THE SEEKER OF TRUTH AND
JUSTICE

Re: Tonight’s zoom meeting : Wed May 12, 2021 9:59 am  
jonh wrote:

I understand what your saying but we’ve had opportunities in 3 games to maybe get some wins and for me it’s down to the predictability of our attack which hasn’t changed much in 5 years and is easy to read and been worked out. For me with the squad we’ve got you’ve got to identify the strengths of the team in certain games and play to it, by this I mean if we can batter say Salford or Leigh up the middle then play to the pack, against say a bigger pack kick earlier, spin them round go wide but not from left or from right behind man continuously
jonh 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20146No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 27 200321 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Tonight’s zoom meeting : Wed May 12, 2021 10:00 am  
homme vaste wrote:
But who`s responsible the squad we have? Who` responsible for deciding which players we have brought in, which players we have retained and which players we have released?

I could of understood if this was a squad he had inherited and been here a year or 2 but he has had chance after chance to refresh the squad, he hasn`t and when he has on a smaller scale he has got it very wrong IMO.

Part of a coaches job is to identify what we need, identify the right players for the club and implementing them into the squad, getting them playing well. It is more than anything a coaching issue IMO.

As I said earlier I think the relative success of the club a number of years ago has cast a long shadow over this squad.

I think Chester and the board seem to be responsible for recruitment and retentions. When it is so difficult to attract players to a club like Trinity due to finances and facilities I can understand the mentality to retain the players at the time.

Failure to attract a 7 (I still believe Lino was a knee jerk signing after Williams chose to retire) and a 9 have been crucial but also offering some older players contracts of the duration they have is now proving damaging.

It’s a lesson I hope we learn but not the hard way by costing us a place in SL.

Even if recruitment and retention is solely down to Chester giving him the boot still doesn’t mean we get out of this hole.

This is a season long issue no matter who is in charge, with an opportunity to progress only when players contracts run down.
PreviousNext