Jan 18 201014 years286th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Apr 24 22:1817th Apr 24 17:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Grass roots : Thu May 13, 2021 9:57 am  
Kettykat wrote:
Having my two grandchildren at football and rugby clubs I’ll have to disagree with you on that , the football club is falling over itself with money , in fact the brass their paying the lad to sit on a mower is eye watering, and something I’m seriously considering when retired . But the rugby club although in its infancy wouldn’t carry on without the parents/ grandparents substantial contributions . Football as a whole is awash with money and no surprise really amateur rugby league is on its uppers from where I’m standing, and needs some serious money pumping in from the top if the next generation of England stars are to be found .

Probably depends on the club to be fair and how run as a lot a run in different ways and some don’t have the other facilities that generate income to offset this.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 17 20203 years109th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 20:5325th Apr 24 20:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Grass roots : Thu May 13, 2021 10:15 am  
Is this on top of the money already payed per season if so not only will kids not play butsome clubs will struggle.both my lads play for a local amateur side and its a signing on fee of £75 per lad per seasonalready plus the the yougest pays £20 per month subs which over 12 months adds up.not sure what the eldest pays he is open age now and pays his own but if my lads where say still both in juniors id be looking at around £630 plus the new of rl charge just adds more on not to mention costs of travel and kits.

Think at times the rl are trying to discourage and make it harder for kids to play with this and the lowering how many academy teams there can be
Last edited by Luppylad on Thu May 13, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2037No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 28 20186 years39th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Apr 24 10:5122nd Apr 24 03:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Grass roots : Thu May 13, 2021 10:46 am  
Don’t know the ins and out of all this ,it will all be made clear in the coming weeks/ months ,and to be honest I thought it as a little distraction from coach/player bashing and no more really . It is what it is and may turn out to be the making or breaking of the amateur game ,who knows ,certainly not me .
jonh 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20149No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 27 200321 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 22:0826th Apr 24 20:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Signature
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.

Re: Grass roots : Thu May 13, 2021 11:38 am  
Even without factoring the impact of Covid the junior game is on its behind.

Since the impact of Covid established teams are struggling for players left right and centre.

If amateur clubs do well it will take them 8-10 years in my opinion to get playing numbers back up to where they were pre Covid.

As I understand it this payment will be on top of the standard league fees/insurances that clubs have to pay.

It is also applied to coaches and volunteers.

It smacks of an attempt to target the lifeblood of the game to assist with the deficit the RFL has to make up because of the last year.

I don’t think it’s unusual and I’m not saying this in any attempt to make myself look like a good guy as I think it sadly goes on all too often but I’ve personally had to buy players boots and cover subs/memberships during my time as a coach.

Adding further cost on with what will be no return is an absolute disgrace.

We have to encourage participation numbers not charge the people who want to play further for the pleasure of doing so.

Add to that it’s challenging enough to get volunteers you then want to charge them too!

I wouldn’t trust the RFL to run a bath never mind reinvest any revenue back into the community game.

The player performance pyramid relies on a strong base. That base is high numbers of participants. Attacking this by taxing it is the most short sited strategy I’ve maybe ever seen by a sport already struggling to attract junior players.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3728No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 27 200419 years122nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 21:377th Feb 24 23:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Grass roots : Thu May 13, 2021 11:43 am  
Luppylad wrote:
Is this on top of the money already payed per season if so not only will kids not play butsome clubs will struggle.both my lads play for a local amateur side and its a signing on fee of £75 per lad already plus the the yougest pays £20 per month subs which over 1w months adds up.not sure what the eldest pays he is open age now and pays his own but if my lads where say still both in juniors id be looking at around £630 plus the new of rl charge just adds more on not to mention costs of travel and kits.

Think at times the rl are trying to discourage and make it harder for kids to play with this and the lowering how many academy teams there can be

Yes it's on top of existing fee's. It is effectively a membership payed to the RFL (not the clubs) for the privilage of playing, coaching or volunteering in RL and is going to purely fill a hole in the RFL's coffers. It will drive even more people away from the game at a time where it is already struggling. The RFL's incompetence knows no bounds and they don't seem to have realised that less participation equals less money from Sport England either.

Bit about it here...
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/rfl-fee-plans-could-have-disastrous-effect-on-the-amateur-game-and-cause-exodus-of-players/?utm_content=buffer76436&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Luppylad wrote:
Is this on top of the money already payed per season if so not only will kids not play butsome clubs will struggle.both my lads play for a local amateur side and its a signing on fee of £75 per lad already plus the the yougest pays £20 per month subs which over 1w months adds up.not sure what the eldest pays he is open age now and pays his own but if my lads where say still both in juniors id be looking at around £630 plus the new of rl charge just adds more on not to mention costs of travel and kits.

Yes it's on top of existing fee's. It is effectively a membership payed to the RFL (not the clubs) for the privilage of playing, coaching or volunteering in RL and is going to purely fill a hole in the RFL's coffers. It will drive even more people away from the game at a time where it is already struggling. The RFL's incompetence knows no bounds and they don't seem to have realised that less participation equals less money from Sport England either.

Bit about it here...
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/rfl-fee-plans-could-have-disastrous-effect-on-the-amateur-game-and-cause-exodus-of-players/?utm_content=buffer76436&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35944
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 15:5926th Apr 24 15:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Grass roots : Thu May 13, 2021 11:44 am  
The amateur game has always been RL's Achilles heal. Neglected by the pro clubs and its governing body the RFL. Also poorly run itself, for every brilliant hard-working volunteer there is an incompetent, not as bad as it used to be but there is far too much infighting and like the RFL, BARLA is weak.

There needs to be one governing body but in all honesty, I can't see that happening, RL is far too parochial as a sport.

I think some of the more enlightened SL clubs would like to be more involved whilst others couldn't care less. But that wouldn't matter anyway because there are far too many empire builders in the amateur games who simply won't compromise and in some cases are openly hostile.

Ultimately history suggests that the pro clubs are the main culprits but with a strong RFL with strong leadership they could be bought to heal, that's basically what happens in Australi, where the amateur game is almost revered.

The first thing needed by any new NRL club is a strong amateur/school system, I think it's the last thing SL requires, hey ho.

Note, my experience of the modern amateur game is limited and it's 15 years since my son played in it so apologies if I sound harsh, it's just the way it looks from the outside looking in.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 17 20203 years109th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Grass roots : Thu May 13, 2021 1:29 pm  
Sacred Cow wrote:

Bit about it here...

Cheers...
Do the rfl want this great game to die and not exist anymore cos there going right way about it
Sacred Cow wrote:

Bit about it here...

Cheers...
Do the rfl want this great game to die and not exist anymore cos there going right way about it
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 17 20203 years109th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Grass roots : Thu May 13, 2021 1:31 pm  
jonh wrote:
Even without factoring the impact of Covid the junior game is on its behind.

Since the impact of Covid established teams are struggling for players left right and centre.

If amateur clubs do well it will take them 8-10 years in my opinion to get playing numbers back up to where they were pre Covid.

As I understand it this payment will be on top of the standard league fees/insurances that clubs have to pay.

It is also applied to coaches and volunteers.

It smacks of an attempt to target the lifeblood of the game to assist with the deficit the RFL has to make up because of the last year.

I don’t think it’s unusual and I’m not saying this in any attempt to make myself look like a good guy as I think it sadly goes on all too often but I’ve personally had to buy players boots and cover subs/memberships during my time as a coach.

Adding further cost on with what will be no return is an absolute disgrace.

We have to encourage participation numbers not charge the people who want to play further for the pleasure of doing so.

Add to that it’s challenging enough to get volunteers you then want to charge them too!

I wouldn’t trust the RFL to run a bath never mind reinvest any revenue back into the community game.

The player performance pyramid relies on a strong base. That base is high numbers of participants. Attacking this by taxing it is the most short sited strategy I’ve maybe ever seen by a sport already struggling to attract junior players.

God if id of known your bought players boots id of brought my lads to your club messed up there aint i :lol:
Manuel 
RankPostsTeam
International Star1030No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 15 201311 years193rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 23:3924th Apr 24 01:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Grass roots : Thu May 13, 2021 2:15 pm  
Crigglestone All Blacks ARLFC have decided that all age groups, from tots to Open Age are playing for zero subs in 2021. We will take a hit but gladly invest what funds we can spare into the game to try to develop an increase in participation. There are grants out there that can help if you put your back into it. After 40 years as a volunteer, my enthusiasm is just as strong as are others at the club. The amateur game is the life blood of any professional sport and to kick it in the nuts is ill considered.
Wakefield has too many amateur clubs. Clubs are allowed to form at random with no consideration for the damage done to those with expense of facilities. Crigg, Eastmoor, Stanley and Normanton should be enough for players to be directed to for development and can form second teams if needed. One team clubs have no benefit, close down eventually and disperse. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 17 20203 years109th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Grass roots : Thu May 13, 2021 2:21 pm  
Manuel wrote:
Crigglestone All Blacks ARLFC have decided that all age groups, from tots to Open Age are playing for zero subs in 2021. We will take a hit but gladly invest what funds we can spare into the game to try to develop an increase in participation. There are grants out there that can help if you put your back into it. After 40 years as a volunteer, my enthusiasm is just as strong as are others at the club. The amateur game is the life blood of any professional sport and to kick it in the nuts is ill considered.
Wakefield has too many amateur clubs. Clubs are allowed to form at random with no consideration for the damage done to those with expense of facilities. Crigg, Eastmoor, Stanley and Normanton should be enough for players to be directed to for development and can form second teams if needed. One team clubs have no benefit, close down eventually and disperse. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Normanton did cancel the yearly signing on fee for all age groups but where still paying subs but that goes to the lads of each team anyway and where not buying food at moment as teams cant stay to be fed
PreviousNext