FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Loss making 3rd rate footy of SL.
RankPostsTeam
Junior Player114No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 28 20231 year269th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 18:419th May 24 18:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Loss making 3rd rate footy of SL. : Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:29 pm  
Well as per the title, Aussie press saying these headlines & why buy a 3rd rate Comp ?
Not for one minute do I think this ! But we are are smaller run sport & on a lower investment monies.
So why do they need to buy our players ?
Arrogance beyond the pale !
RankPostsTeam
Moderator20291
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 04 200816 years6th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 15:0211th May 24 12:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

Re: Loss making 3rd rate footy of SL. : Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:13 pm  
Although I don't agree with their rating, I do ask the same question.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2552
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 19 201212 years78th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 13:217th May 24 21:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Loss making 3rd rate footy of SL. : Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:16 pm  
Start@1873 wrote:
Well as per the title, Aussie press saying these headlines & why buy a 3rd rate Comp ?
Not for one minute do I think this ! But we are are smaller run sport & on a lower investment monies.
So why do they need to buy our players ?
Arrogance beyond the pale !

Think after the show they put on in the U S A they got a point It.just looked to be on a different planet to any thing I have seen this season on S L. Know you will point out about the World Championship the last 2 years but it is just a warm up match for the Australian team
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13527
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 26 200618 years63rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 14:2410th May 24 15:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
1/10

Re: Loss making 3rd rate footy of SL. : Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:36 pm  
Might as well compare the Premier League with the A League.

Money and prime time media coverage makes things much easier to promote. No money, stuck behind a paywall and no/little interest from the MSM leads to a lesser product.
RankPostsTeam
International Star5000
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 07 201410 years98th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 20:3126th Apr 24 13:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Loss making 3rd rate footy of SL. : Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:07 pm  
Typical Australian arrogance I’m afraid!

They wilfully ignore the mountainous obstacles that Rugby League in England faces, in particular the FA Premier League, Championship, League One & League Two. Not to mention the rest of the Football pyramid. No one can compete with Football in this country, not even the Spanish La Liga, Italian Serie A or any other sporting organisation in the world and I include the NFL in that. Let’s not even mention other UK sports that feed off the scraps Football leaves behind before we even get a look in.

It suits their egotistical nature to believe that they “just do it better” or have found some magical system for unlocking the game of Rugby Leagues potential! They think that AFL is somehow the equivalent sporting competition to the FA Premiership, they’re absolutely deluded by their sheer self congratulatory, pompous arrogance.

If Rugby League in this country were to blink out of existence they wouldn’t care an ounce! In fact in many ways they’d celebrate it because it would finally free them of any semblance of responsibility to International Rugby League!

No Thank You
I don’t want the condescension, keep your money and stuff your attitude toward Northern Hemisphere Rugby League!
One day the tide will turn and the British game will grow in strength to become the dominant competition again just as it once was 50 years ago. I hope we are more dignified winners than Australia have been!

It’s a no from me!
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner4792
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 04 200321 years120th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 15:3911th May 24 15:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
[IMG]//i50.tinypic.com/a59ff5.gif[/IMG]

Re: Loss making 3rd rate footy of SL. : Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:32 am  
NRL a different game for me different rules now and all built on defence I find our game a better spectacle to be honest
RankPostsTeam
Junior Player22
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 17 20231 year313th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 18:2010th May 24 18:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Loss making 3rd rate footy of SL. : Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:44 pm  
The Avenger wrote:
Typical Australian arrogance I’m afraid!

They wilfully ignore the mountainous obstacles that Rugby League in England faces, in particular the FA Premier League, Championship, League One & League Two. Not to mention the rest of the Football pyramid. No one can compete with Football in this country, not even the Spanish La Liga, Italian Serie A or any other sporting organisation in the world and I include the NFL in that. Let’s not even mention other UK sports that feed off the scraps Football leaves behind before we even get a look in.

I understand the point your making, but I'd point the blame in a slightly different direction.

Obviously Rugby League shares its space in an area that's a "football stronghold", and it's been that way since the year dot. But I think there are 2 other major problems it's had to contend with.

The first is one that is slowly being rectified, but like cricket, domestic RL has mostly been off terrestrial TV for the last 30+ years. As a result, it slowly slips out of the public consciousness. I remember back in the 70's when they had the 2nd half of a RL match on Grandstand. Seeing the likes of some distant Northern town on the box may have seemed a 1000 miles away, but it kept it in the national psyche. Once Sky got hold of it 100%, that was it. Just like domestic County cricket. As I say, that's slowly being rectified with live games appearing on the BBC this year.

The second problem, is that the London based media is obsessed with Rugby Union - being it Six Nations, or whatever. If you didn't scour the small print, in the Midlands/Southern editions of the papers, you honestly would barely know that Rugby League even existed. The great irony of all this, is that since Union turned professional, it's been busy changing its rules trying to make itself more appealing to the watching audience. Which is a joke, as it's still boring rubbish compared to League which is so much better (not that surprising, as it had a 80 odd year head start). I come from the Rugby Union heartlands, but I wouldn't watch it, if you paid me!
RankPostsTeam
International Star5000
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 07 201410 years98th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 20:3126th Apr 24 13:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Loss making 3rd rate footy of SL. : Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:07 pm  
WT_Midlander wrote:
I understand the point your making, but I'd point the blame in a slightly different direction.

Obviously Rugby League shares its space in an area that's a "football stronghold", and it's been that way since the year dot. But I think there are 2 other major problems it's had to contend with.

The first is one that is slowly being rectified, but like cricket, domestic RL has mostly been off terrestrial TV for the last 30+ years. As a result, it slowly slips out of the public consciousness. I remember back in the 70's when they had the 2nd half of a RL match on Grandstand. Seeing the likes of some distant Northern town on the box may have seemed a 1000 miles away, but it kept it in the national psyche. Once Sky got hold of it 100%, that was it. Just like domestic County cricket. As I say, that's slowly being rectified with live games appearing on the BBC this year.

The second problem, is that the London based media is obsessed with Rugby Union - being it Six Nations, or whatever. If you didn't scour the small print, in the Midlands/Southern editions of the papers, you honestly would barely know that Rugby League even existed. The great irony of all this, is that since Union turned professional, it's been busy changing its rules trying to make itself more appealing to the watching audience. Which is a joke, as it's still boring rubbish compared to League which is so much better (not that surprising, as it had a 80 odd year head start). I come from the Rugby Union heartlands, but I wouldn't watch it, if you paid me!

Rugby Leagues status is a result of many things not least the establishment, old school tie, university network that’s done everything it can to favour Union whilst at the same time attempting to strangle League.

The ban on League being played at University for decades being one and the ban on League being played in any branch of our military being another.
When Union types talk about their game being bigger internationally I always ask them if they know why and their ignorance is tangible.

My original point though is about Aussie NRL sneering and arrogance