Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

hull2524 wrote:Totally enjoyable though. Great game

:D :D

Post subject: Re: Round 27
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:33 am 
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Location: Drypool Bridge - watching out for invaders from the East.
hull2524 wrote:Totally enjoyable though. Great game

A tale of two mindsets - Ben Stokes v Australia or Hull v Salford.

JOHNNY WHITELEY - A TRUE RUGBY LEAGUE LEGEND

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:08 am 
100% League Network
100% League Network

Tarquin Fuego wrote:Do you think it's unrealistic for Rovers to lose in Perps and London to beat Leeds ? If so - which is unrealistic ? If this does happen then the Points Diff makes it hard for Rovers to go above London even if they beat them.
At this stage I see Rovers down.

Hi. Just to save you both time on this lovely bank holiday - you’re arguing at cross purposes.

TF, you’re expressing an opinion on the likelihood of an outcome. In slight contrast Mrs B is developing a narrative, or setting a baseline, to maximise her enjoyment of, or satisfaction in, her desired outcome, by minimising its likelihood.

Or there may be an element of you maximising the likelihood of of our relegation, because you want it so badly. The opposite mindset, as it were.

'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:21 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Mild Rover wrote:Hi. Just to save you both time on this lovely bank holiday - you’re arguing at cross purposes.

TF, you’re expressing an opinion on the likelihood of an outcome. In slight contrast Mrs B is developing a narrative, or setting a baseline, to maximise her enjoyment of, or satisfaction in, her desired outcome, by minimising its likelihood.

Or there may be an element of you maximising the likelihood of of our relegation, because you want it so badly. The opposite mindset, as it were.

Blimey. Rovers aren't even 2nd favourites for the drop (London & Hudds first) and I'm weaving a web? Naughty suggestion. Come on, 10 weeks to pre season, cheer up and get behind the 2 well worn Rovers "narratives" . Investing in the future (kicks the homegrown/jam tomorrow can further down the 13 year highway) and/or quality over quantity. Plus ca change and, so on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:25 am 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

london need to make sure leeds dont start like a house on fire if they are going to get a result against them, if they dont, game could be over after 20 minutes, not impossible, beaten them at headingley and pushed them at magic

catalan v kr, catalan will see this as an opportunity for one last push for the play offs, lose this they will probably throw in the towel in the last two games (hudds will be happy), think catalan will just scrape home

salford v warrington- salford to pull away after a close first half due to wires' fatigue and host of changes

fc v hudds-no motivation needed for us, right the wrongs from magic and two weeks ago

saints v cas-hopefully cas will get the backlash from saints choking on saturday giving us some breathing space for the following week

wakey v wigan-love to see wakey win but wigan look in GF mode now!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:39 pm 
100% League Network
100% League Network

Mrs Barista wrote:Blimey. Rovers aren't even 2nd favourites for the drop (London & Hudds first) and I'm weaving a web? Naughty suggestion. Come on, 10 weeks to pre season, cheer up and get behind the 2 well worn Rovers "narratives" . Investing in the future (kicks the homegrown/jam tomorrow can further down the 13 year highway) and/or quality over quantity. Plus ca change and, so on.

Yeah, I think those narratives wearing very thin is part of why there is a slight ambivalence about us staying up or not. I did allow it to cross my mind earlier that our seemingly massively unambitious confirmed and rumoured recruitment might be a clever balancing act - leaving cap space free in case we stay up, while getting in SL squad players/potential Championship standouts. But it is probably nothing of the sort.

As for the next three rounds, it’s difficult to predict. Small things can make a big difference at this point. Matt Parcell’s fitness, the motivation level of opponents, an early injury to a key player in the Rovers-London game, a lucky or unlucky bounce, an iffy call from an official - anything like that could be crucial.

At least we tried to save ourselves by bringing Tony Smith on board. Now que sera sera.

'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:49 pm 
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Mild Rover wrote:Hi. Just to save you both time on this lovely bank holiday - you’re arguing at cross purposes.

how accurate and eloquently put , nail, head , hammer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:32 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Mild Rover wrote:Yeah, I think those narratives wearing very thin is part of why there is a slight ambivalence about us staying up or not. I did allow it to cross my mind earlier that our seemingly massively unambitious confirmed and rumoured recruitment might be a clever balancing act - leaving cap space free in case we stay up, while getting in SL squad players/potential Championship standouts. But it is probably nothing of the sort.

As for the next three rounds, it’s difficult to predict. Small things can make a big difference at this point. Matt Parcell’s fitness, the motivation level of opponents, an early injury to a key player in the Rovers-London game, a lucky or unlucky bounce, an iffy call from an official - anything like that could be crucial.

At least we tried to save ourselves by bringing Tony Smith on board. Now que sera sera.

Well, I think you'll be fine, honestly. As in that you'll stay up. There'll then be the ground repurchase to spin and a handful of decent signings for the usual suspects to work themselves up over. Feels like 2008 all over again. Eat, sleep, over-egg, repeat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:25 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Rovers wont go down. I cant see London winning another game but even if they do it will be them or hudds for the drop. Rovers will beat les cats and london

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:37 pm 
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Jake the Peg wrote:Rovers wont go down. I cant see London winning another game but even if they do it will be them or hudds for the drop. Rovers will beat les cats and london

In a nutshell.

Meanwhile Huddersfield are, naturally, pointing to the Magic Weekend 55-2 reverse as grounds for confidence.

It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 7:08 pm

Retro.rlfans.com is no longer supported, we suggest that you try www.rlfans.com or i.rlfans.com or m.rlfans.com