JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 05 200618 years41st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 15:2618th Apr 24 07:51LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

End of Season Report : Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:07 pm  
My thoughts, feel free to agree or disagree!

Jamie Shaul - single figures for tries and assists make him the least effective Full Back in SL. Cannot pass and either needs to learn this skill, or his position is under threat (I would move Carlos to FB!). Tonight demonstrated what he lacks, and if we cannot use him as a pivot, he should be there as an option for offloads, but on the numerous half breaks we made tonight, he was nowhere.

Bureta Faraimo - mixed bag from Bureta. No doubt his go forward out of back field is strong, but defensively he is poor. I don't know if that is purely down to him, or a combination of his inside defenders getting it wrong forcing him into making a decision to stick to his winger, or shoot out to force an error - but he needs to improve this. Next year I can see him sharing the left wing position with Swift.

Carlos Tuimavave - underrated by many, but I like this kid. Very classy with the ball, strong and good defensively. I would have him training at FB next season, to allow Connor and Fonua to be the centres (with Griff and Scott as the back up). Some of his better games in the NRL were at full back, chiming into the line, and can miss a man with a pass which our current FB cannot.

Josh Griffin - good season from Griff. The move through to Hull and his surgery at the end of last season definitely helping his consistency levels. Sounds like he will be moving into the back row, and being used at Centre if short there due to injury. Unsure on the success of this move, and if he has the work rate/stamina to be a good 2nd rower

Jake Connor - well, what can be said. Incredibly gifted and capable of sublime moments, and completely stupid moments. He seems the kind of player that consistently needs to be told how good he is, and is a test of Radford's management skills. I have said it before but, this kid could be a world class centre, but only a good stand off. Needs to focus on that role and continue on from the middle of this season when his combination with Kelly and Ratu was fantastic.

Ratu Naulago - Find of the season! Went quiet towards the end of the season but looking forward to next year and what he can do. Needs to be more composed if/when he makes a break, tries to force it too much (maybe a trait from his 7's experience), but that will come as he grows into Rugby League.

Albert Kelly - essential he stays fit next season, but for that to happen, he needs to lose some weight. He looks double what he was in 2017! His defence continues to be outstanding and love his aggression, but needs to get that yard of pace back to be a threat with the ball again.

Marc Sneyd - I see so many flaw's to his game that I continue to have disagreements with fans about Sneyd. People will raise his Lance Todd trophies, but if we are saying that Radford should be judged on now and not his cup wins, then the same should be for Sneyd. His passing is wayward, his kicking is tentative (attacking kicks, where he just dabs it in the air instead of putting his boot through it), his inability to attack the line and commit defenders to allow his outside runners to have more space. He would definitely benefit from an attack coach

Scott Taylor - below par for me for the majority of this year. Cannot doubt his passion for the badge, and he has improved the last few games. I think this is down to having people like Bowden and Satae in the side and we are not reliant on 60 minutes a game from him. Hope (selfishly) he doesn't get in the GB side and can benefit from a rest and attack next year with a new look pack around him.

Danny Houghton - again, below par for me. Distribution and decision making from Danny contribute to his lack of international recognition. Perhaps our attack is stifled by such slow passing from DH, and at times is very wayward. Can't knock his defence, but would definitely benefit from being interchanged with JJ next year

Micky Paea - decent. Good games where he made some good carries, but inconsistent. Enjoy your retirement

Sika Manu - decent. Lacked the impact and intensity of previous seasons, but he admits his body wasn't right this year. Perhaps a year too many for Sika but thank you for the memories

Mark Minichiello - I like Mark. Ultimate professional which I hope has rubbed off onto some of our younger players. Will go down in history for the 2016 and 2017 cup wins, and also for knocking on in every single game he played! Enjoy your retirement Mini!

Josh Bowden - this season was about getting his confidence and fitness back. He will be keen to get a strong pre season in, good squad player. Hits hard in D.

Joe Westerman - started the season well, added another threat with the ball, but when you are going to be remembered for your knee cap as opposed to what you did with the ball, maybe says it all.

Masi Matongo - awful year for the kid, but sometimes these things define you as a person. Hits hard in defence, but would like to see him run his weight more, he certainly has the size.

Brad Fash - did OK, teachers pet. Decent back up for next year.

The rest will continue to add depth to an all round stronger squad next season!

Roll on 2020
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3745
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 11 200519 years214th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 12:5318th Apr 24 10:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: End of Season Report : Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:06 am  
Wilde 3 wrote:
My thoughts, feel free to agree or disagree!

Jamie Shaul - single figures for tries and assists make him the least effective Full Back in SL. Cannot pass and either needs to learn this skill, or his position is under threat (I would move Carlos to FB!). Tonight demonstrated what he lacks, and if we cannot use him as a pivot, he should be there as an option for offloads, but on the numerous half breaks we made tonight, he was nowhere.

Bureta Faraimo - mixed bag from Bureta. No doubt his go forward out of back field is strong, but defensively he is poor. I don't know if that is purely down to him, or a combination of his inside defenders getting it wrong forcing him into making a decision to stick to his winger, or shoot out to force an error - but he needs to improve this. Next year I can see him sharing the left wing position with Swift.

Carlos Tuimavave - underrated by many, but I like this kid. Very classy with the ball, strong and good defensively. I would have him training at FB next season, to allow Connor and Fonua to be the centres (with Griff and Scott as the back up). Some of his better games in the NRL were at full back, chiming into the line, and can miss a man with a pass which our current FB cannot.

Josh Griffin - good season from Griff. The move through to Hull and his surgery at the end of last season definitely helping his consistency levels. Sounds like he will be moving into the back row, and being used at Centre if short there due to injury. Unsure on the success of this move, and if he has the work rate/stamina to be a good 2nd rower

Jake Connor - well, what can be said. Incredibly gifted and capable of sublime moments, and completely stupid moments. He seems the kind of player that consistently needs to be told how good he is, and is a test of Radford's management skills. I have said it before but, this kid could be a world class centre, but only a good stand off. Needs to focus on that role and continue on from the middle of this season when his combination with Kelly and Ratu was fantastic.

Ratu Naulago - Find of the season! Went quiet towards the end of the season but looking forward to next year and what he can do. Needs to be more composed if/when he makes a break, tries to force it too much (maybe a trait from his 7's experience), but that will come as he grows into Rugby League.

Albert Kelly - essential he stays fit next season, but for that to happen, he needs to lose some weight. He looks double what he was in 2017! His defence continues to be outstanding and love his aggression, but needs to get that yard of pace back to be a threat with the ball again.

Marc Sneyd - I see so many flaw's to his game that I continue to have disagreements with fans about Sneyd. People will raise his Lance Todd trophies, but if we are saying that Radford should be judged on now and not his cup wins, then the same should be for Sneyd. His passing is wayward, his kicking is tentative (attacking kicks, where he just dabs it in the air instead of putting his boot through it), his inability to attack the line and commit defenders to allow his outside runners to have more space. He would definitely benefit from an attack coach

Scott Taylor - below par for me for the majority of this year. Cannot doubt his passion for the badge, and he has improved the last few games. I think this is down to having people like Bowden and Satae in the side and we are not reliant on 60 minutes a game from him. Hope (selfishly) he doesn't get in the GB side and can benefit from a rest and attack next year with a new look pack around him.

Danny Houghton - again, below par for me. Distribution and decision making from Danny contribute to his lack of international recognition. Perhaps our attack is stifled by such slow passing from DH, and at times is very wayward. Can't knock his defence, but would definitely benefit from being interchanged with JJ next year

Micky Paea - decent. Good games where he made some good carries, but inconsistent. Enjoy your retirement

Sika Manu - decent. Lacked the impact and intensity of previous seasons, but he admits his body wasn't right this year. Perhaps a year too many for Sika but thank you for the memories

Mark Minichiello - I like Mark. Ultimate professional which I hope has rubbed off onto some of our younger players. Will go down in history for the 2016 and 2017 cup wins, and also for knocking on in every single game he played! Enjoy your retirement Mini!

Josh Bowden - this season was about getting his confidence and fitness back. He will be keen to get a strong pre season in, good squad player. Hits hard in D.

Joe Westerman - started the season well, added another threat with the ball, but when you are going to be remembered for your knee cap as opposed to what you did with the ball, maybe says it all.

Masi Matongo - awful year for the kid, but sometimes these things define you as a person. Hits hard in defence, but would like to see him run his weight more, he certainly has the size.

Brad Fash - did OK, teachers pet. Decent back up for next year.

The rest will continue to add depth to an all round stronger squad next season!

Roll on 2020

Good post, the only thing I disagree with Sneyd.
He doesnt attack the line, as he very rarely has support players., IF he did attack the line,he would be getting frequently bashed. Again this is a failure of attack preparation.
When Matty Smith was at Wigan,he never got tackled, he always attacked the line,as he always had 2/3 players with him..
Apart from that, an excellent appraisal..
RankPostsTeam
International Star1346No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 201212 years149th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 15:1617th Apr 24 16:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: End of Season Report : Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:50 am  
weaver93 wrote:
Good post, the only thing I disagree with Sneyd.
He doesnt attack the line, as he very rarely has support players., IF he did attack the line,he would be getting frequently bashed. Again this is a failure of attack preparation.
When Matty Smith was at Wigan,he never got tackled, he always attacked the line,as he always had 2/3 players with him..
Apart from that, an excellent appraisal..

I think it is an accurate appraisal and I agree with the op on Sneyd and disagree with your opinion on him.
He's a player that really divides opinion.
His pass options are shocking at times, does not take the line on and create space but is a decent kicker.
I think not having a recognised SH at Hull for a long time has made people more sentimental and protective of Sneyd
RankPostsTeam
International Star2287
JoinedServiceReputation
May 24 201113 years37th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 13:5915th Apr 24 15:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: End of Season Report : Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:40 am  
As a long time visitor and ex Governor, for the good of the school, I have reported the whole sports department to Ofsted, hopefully to be placed in special measures and bring on huge improvements next year. If not then I hope the Head Master will take actions to speed the process along.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4626
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 10 200222 years21st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 13:2318th Apr 24 22:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: End of Season Report : Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:38 am  
I’ve advocated for years now that we need a pivot at full back who can find a pass, and Connor would be ideal for that.
Just can’t see how we can improve our attacking game until that happens, it’s so obvious.
Smiggs 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach9669
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200420 years168th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 12:2315th Apr 24 17:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: End of Season Report : Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:44 am  
Irregular Hoops wrote:
I’ve advocated for years now that we need a pivot at full back who can find a pass, and Connor would be ideal for that.
Just can’t see how we can improve our attacking game until that happens, it’s so obvious.

If everyone believe's removing Shaul from the team will turn us into the attacking force we should be then your wrong. What we need to do is get our underperforming highly paid main playmakers doing their jobs. Let's teach our one dimensional scrum half the ability to pass and run. Let's get our fat halfback fit. And finally let's get our sulky one motivated to play well more than once every half dozen games. Then we'll see improvements.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 10 200222 years21st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: End of Season Report : Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:03 am  
Smiggs wrote:
If everyone believe's removing Shaul from the team will turn us into the attacking force we should be then your wrong. What we need to do is get our underperforming highly paid main playmakers doing their jobs. Let's teach our one dimensional scrum half the ability to pass and run. Let's get our fat halfback fit. And finally let's get our sulky one motivated to play well more than once every half dozen games. Then we'll see improvements.

Might help if the half backs had another pivot who could join the line and find a decent pass.
Smiggs 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach9669
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200420 years168th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 12:2315th Apr 24 17:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: End of Season Report : Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:22 am  
Irregular Hoops wrote:
Might help if the half backs had another pivot who could join the line and find a decent pass.

So it's all Shauls fault that the those 3, probably the highest earners at the club can't create anything or lead our side around the pitch. Delusional.
ccs 
RankPostsTeam
International Star5318
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 15 201113 years171st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Aug 22 17:5120th Aug 22 16:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Is Hodgson the new Griffin, or is it all about pace?

Re: End of Season Report : Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:25 am  
I wonder if there is any truth in the rumour that Shaul has signed for cas?
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 10 200222 years21st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: End of Season Report : Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:55 am  
Smiggs wrote:
So it's all Shauls fault that the those 3, probably the highest earners at the club can't create anything or lead our side around the pitch. Delusional.

Just an observation on my part.
Blimey
Next