JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 07 200518 years32nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 19:3317th Apr 24 11:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!

Re: Contract Talks & FCs Future : Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:59 am  
I'm trying not to be 'sanctimonious' here, but please stop arguing about the morale high ground for there isn't any in the situation we all find ourselves in at present. For me, Points scoring is pointless for every team is in crisis. One owner has more money than another, one club is more likely to survive that another; it may not matter a jot if we have no game left at the end of all this. Can anyone see the majority of clubs surviving until 2021 without any income coming in from gates etc because I don't think I can. It's like those idiots still trying to score political points in the Sunday papers out of what is the biggest health crisis this country has faced in a century, when at present its all really just about coming together and saving lives.

In Life and indeed sport it's time for everyone to stand together, to stay safe and to safeguard those we love and to cherish the things that mean the most to us. We should be applauding the NHS, we should be applauding everyone who is staying at home and everyone who is volunteering. Plus in our small corner of the sporting world if we have any clapping left, we should be applauding all the staff and players at the Rugby League Club that is so dear to all of us for the way that they have reacted to the situation they find themselves in as well. Because, for the time being at least, they have probably given us the best chance there is of Hull FC surviving.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29700No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 15 200519 years23rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 20:1913th Apr 24 19:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Contract Talks & FCs Future : Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:04 am  
The Dentist Wilf wrote:
I'm trying not to be 'sanctimonious' here, but please stop arguing about the morale hit ground for there isn't any in the situation we all find ourselves in at present. For me, Points scoring is pointless for every team is in crisis. One owner has more money than another, one club is more likely to survive that another; it may not matter a jot if we have no game left at the end of all this. Can anyone see the majority of clubs surviving until 2021 without any income coming in from gates etc because I don't think I can. It's like those idiots still trying to score political points in the Sunday papers out of what is the biggest health crisis this country has faced in a century, when at present its all really just about coming together and saving lives.

In Life and indeed sport it's time for everyone to stand together, to stay safe and to safeguard those we love and to cherish the things that mean the most to us. We should be applauding the NHS, we should be applauding everyone who is staying at home and everyone who is volunteering. Plus in our small corner of the sporting world if we have any clapping left, we should be applauding all the staff and players at the Rugby League Club that is so dear to all of us for the way that they have reacted to the situation they find themselves in as well. For, for the time being at least, they have probably given us the best chance there is Hull FC surviving.

Completely agree. I think the club are doing a great job by the way in terms of keeping good content coming, classic match replays on Facebook etc. Anything we can be doing to buy merchandise etc should be done, and I do think we could put in place something like a financial support scheme to contribute e.g. putting in what we would have spent on awaydays, match tickets etc into a fund to help the club. I really hope they are looking seriously at this. Things are really grim, but one thing we do have is a big fanbase that can help - we need a practical mechanism to do so IMO.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3524No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 30 200221 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th Aug 23 15:196th Apr 22 08:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
HULL FC CHALLENGE CUP WINNERS 2005
GRAND FINALISTS 2006
CHALLENGE CUP FINALISTS 2008
CHALLENGE CUP FINALISTS 2013
CHALLENGE CUP WINNERS 2016
CHALLENGE CUP WINNERS 2017

HKR THE PRIDE OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP

Re: Jordan Lane Contract Talks : Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:41 am  
Mrs Barista wrote:
They may have reneged but the point being he has this sort of free cash kicking around anyway to easily repurpose to cover wage costs etc, making them much better placed to weather the storm/avoid furloughing and wage cuts etc.

Avoid furloughing ? They have furloughed all players and staff.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12580
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years130th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 22:0014th Apr 24 13:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Re: Contract Talks & FCs Future : Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:19 am  
From a Rovers perspective, while it is clearly good that we have a benefactor, the problem is that we are reliant on him to an unhealthy degree - and that is just to limp along at the bottom end of SL in recent times. On top of that, we’re effectively subsidized by another of his businesses that, like nearly all businesses, is probably taking a hit and will require even more of his attention than normal.

It’s impossible to predict what will happen, but I wouldn’t rule out some currently full-time clubs going semi-pro. And if (still a big IF) it comes to trying to save clubs that are struggling the worst in their current incarnation and risking it failing, and gambling on starting over... well, it’d be a difficult and unpleasant benefit-risk assessment.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3524No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 30 200221 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
GRAND FINALISTS 2006

Re: Contract Talks & FCs Future : Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:24 am  
Mild Rover wrote:
From a Rovers perspective, while it is clearly good that we have a benefactor, the problem is that we are reliant on him to an unhealthy degree - and that is just to limp along at the bottom end of SL in recent times. On top of that, we’re effectively subsidized by another of his businesses that, like nearly all businesses, is probably taking a hit and will require even more of his attention than normal.

It’s impossible to predict what will happen, but I wouldn’t rule out some currently full-time clubs going semi-pro. And if (still a big IF) it comes to trying to save clubs that are struggling the worst in their current incarnation and risking it failing, and gambling on starting over... well, it’d be a difficult and unpleasant benefit-risk assessment.

Hard times ahead for both Clubs .
RL is not a rich sport . As you say maybe Clubs will need to go semi pro ?
Or even merge ?
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29700No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 15 200519 years23rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 20:1913th Apr 24 19:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Contract Talks & FCs Future : Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:24 am  
Mild Rover wrote:

Been thinking about the semi pro point too. The post Covid scenarios are so diverse and obviously depend on how long lockdown lasts, in what form, and how our fanbase (RL) is impacted financially. I had thought also of clubs (well Hull FC) having to fold then starting again in Champ 1. Presumably our tenancy at the KCOM would be null and void. Would we play at Costello for example? The reality is that both Hull clubs will have a fanbase that sticks by them in the medium term but in what guise, new entity or old, is anyone's guess.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4624
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 10 200222 years21st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 19:0915th Apr 24 15:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Contract Talks & FCs Future : Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:49 pm  
The game in general is struggling to survive, not just one club. Like I said earlier all professional sport other than the premier league is in a fight for its life.
Salary caps for lower league football could be coming in on the back of this.
The sporting landscape will be dramatically altered after this.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12580
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years130th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 22:0014th Apr 24 13:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Re: Contract Talks & FCs Future : Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:08 pm  
HFC Boy wrote:
Or even merge ?

Aye, there’s a very wide range of possibilities right now.

Mrs Barista wrote:
Been thinking about the semi pro point too. The post Covid scenarios are so diverse and obviously depend on how long lockdown lasts, in what form, and how our fanbase (RL) is impacted financially. I had thought also of clubs (well Hull FC) having to fold then starting again in Champ 1. Presumably our tenancy at the KCOM would be null and void. Would we play at Costello for example? The reality is that both Hull clubs will have a fanbase that sticks by them in the medium term but in what guise, new entity or old, is anyone's guess.

Thoughts along broadly similar lines have occurred to me from a Rovers perspective. Obviously, we’re looking at a worst case scenario and hopefully better outcomes are more likely. However, if Rovers and/or Hull were unable to continue as going concerns it is plausible that several other SL teams would suffer the same fate. If, for example, Oldham, Batley and Whitehaven are able to keep going thanks to a much lower cost base should they get priority in the restructure ahead of Phoenix clubs claiming more potential? There’s a sporting argument and a business argument, but the big question is who would fill the power vacuum?

Hudgell’s take on it: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... s-outbreak
HFC Boy wrote:
Or even merge ?

Aye, there’s a very wide range of possibilities right now.

Mrs Barista wrote:

Thoughts along broadly similar lines have occurred to me from a Rovers perspective. Obviously, we’re looking at a worst case scenario and hopefully better outcomes are more likely. However, if Rovers and/or Hull were unable to continue as going concerns it is plausible that several other SL teams would suffer the same fate. If, for example, Oldham, Batley and Whitehaven are able to keep going thanks to a much lower cost base should they get priority in the restructure ahead of Phoenix clubs claiming more potential? There’s a sporting argument and a business argument, but the big question is who would fill the power vacuum?

Hudgell’s take on it: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... s-outbreak
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7207No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 07 200518 years32nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Apr 24 19:3317th Apr 24 11:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!

Re: Contract Talks & FCs Future : Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:56 pm  
From that article it would appears he's not putting any more money in until we know what's happening with this seasons outcomes. Which looking at the state of the game going forward is very sensible.

Hudgell also wants assurances over whether promotion and relegation will continue this year before he invests any more money into Hull KR, which he has backed to the tune of millions of pounds since he assumed control of the Super League club in 2005.

“I want to know what’s happening in that regard. If we end up with a skewed fixture list and compromising integrity, you can be sure I’m not putting in six months’ graft if I run the risk of relegation at the end of it. I want those assurances by the time we look to get playing again. Until then, I’m not committing any more money to the sport: I’d be crazy to do so.”
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3524No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 30 200221 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
GRAND FINALISTS 2006

Re: Jordan Lane Contract Talks : Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:07 pm  
Mrs Barista wrote:
The same multimillionaire that's about to pay 7 figures for Craven Park? Fair to assume they will be readly buffered against the impact of the virus.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... s-outbreak

Seems times hard at Rovers too .
Mrs Barista wrote:
The same multimillionaire that's about to pay 7 figures for Craven Park? Fair to assume they will be readly buffered against the impact of the virus.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... s-outbreak

Seems times hard at Rovers too .
PreviousNext