RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Forward available?
Re: Forward available? Sat May 08, 2021 8:48 am  

Dave K. wrote:
Dave K. 100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:48 am
Posts: 20549
Location: Back in Hull.
Lawler has gone from hero to zero In about 2 weeks.

Called up for the England knights,,Rovers fans saying he really deserves it, has played great and they need to build a team around him to an average player who isnt really a loss.

He has been great for them for years and loyal as he easily could have left.
Re: Forward available? Sun May 09, 2021 5:24 am  

Dave K. wrote:
Dave K. 100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:48 am
Posts: 20549
Location: Back in Hull.
Yesterday is probably why Lawler wants to leave Rovers, he wants to play in big games for a club like Hull or Cas he could have easily sat in a comfort zone earning good money for Rovers, but he is probably fed up with winning the odd game and celebrating gallant loses.
Re: Forward available? Sun May 09, 2021 10:28 am  

User avatarMild Rover wrote:
Mild Rover User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 12001
Location: Leicestershire.
Dave K. wrote:
Yesterday is probably why Lawler wants to leave Rovers, he wants to play in big games for a club like Hull or Cas he could have easily sat in a comfort zone earning good money for Rovers, but he is probably fed up with winning the odd game and celebrating gallant loses.


It may very well be part of it.

The flawed thinking that has gripped the club about losing now to win later has probably been more disheartening than the losing itself at times.

This, from Moneyball, resonated with me.

Of course, no one in pro sports ever admits to quitting. But it was perfectly possible to abandon all hope of winning and at the same time show up every day for work to collect a paycheck. Professional sports had a word for this: “rebuilding”. That’s what half a dozen big league teams did more or less all the time. The Kansas City Royals had been rebuilding for the last four or five years. Bud Selig’s Brewers had been taking a dive for at least a decade.

There are differences between MLB and SL, and I’m not suggesting individuals have behaved unprofessionally or didn’t try. But a malaise set in at an organisational level. Patience (aka acceptance of losing) is definitely a virtue that can be taken to far, even for club with limited resources.

I think the leadership at Rovers might now be awake to this. But if not, stuff like this will highlight it.

Or maybe his partner has just got a good job in Manchester or something. :)
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.
Re: Forward available? Sun May 09, 2021 11:04 am  

User avatarRugby Raider wrote:
Rugby Raider User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:10 pm
Posts: 1070
Location: Playing League on The Close
Mild Rover wrote:
It may very well be part of it.

The flawed thinking that has gripped the club about losing now to win later has probably been more disheartening than the losing itself at times.

This, from Moneyball, resonated with me.

Of course, no one in pro sports ever admits to quitting. But it was perfectly possible to abandon all hope of winning and at the same time show up every day for work to collect a paycheck. Professional sports had a word for this: “rebuilding”. That’s what half a dozen big league teams did more or less all the time. The Kansas City Royals had been rebuilding for the last four or five years. Bud Selig’s Brewers had been taking a dive for at least a decade.

There are differences between MLB and SL, and I’m not suggesting individuals have behaved unprofessionally or didn’t try. But a malaise set in at an organisational level. Patience (aka acceptance of losing) is definitely a virtue that can be taken to far, even for club with limited resources.

I think the leadership at Rovers might now be awake to this. But if not, stuff like this will highlight it.

Or maybe his partner has just got a good job in Manchester or something. :)

A good summary and the ‘Moneyball’ book and film do challenge the traditional approach to running sports teams.

I agree too many clubs sack a manager or have a takeover and then commence a project or process to take their club ‘back where they belong.’ If all were successful in football, they’d be about 50 teams in the Premier League. No club has a given right to be anywhere other than their current league position.

Along with recruitment, the role of the Coach is also pivotal and can make such a difference. It’s still early days with Brett, but he’s only made one signing (Grub), but we are already seeing a material change in our attitude, work rate and defence.
Previously, we had Brian Smith transform an indifferent Hull side and turn players like Andy Dannatt and Paul Eastwood from average club players into Internationals. So sometimes it is buying the right player, but also getting players to apply themselves correctly.

With Rovers, they seem to have changed approach several times under NH. They created a good team under Justin Morgan, but have just drifted since. Their squad strategy changed, they had some quality players, then went for less quality but more strength in depth and said they are now aiming to go for a smaller squad with more quality. They’ve also become a plucky loser team. One short kick off last season on Sky propelled them to innovators with an expansive game, which ultimately ended in defeat.

With regards Watson, it will be interesting to see how he goes at Huddersfield . They are showing signs of imprioving, they ran Saints close the other night. However, he has openly stated that they are on a ‘process journey’. This will result in either him being an astute appointment, or a failed 2-3 year tenure, only to be replaced with another transition period.
Re: Forward available? Sun May 09, 2021 3:07 pm  

User avatarMild Rover wrote:
Mild Rover User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 12001
Location: Leicestershire.
Rugby Raider wrote:

I agree too many clubs sack a manager or have a takeover and then commence a project or process to take their club ‘back where they belong.’ If all were successful in football, they’d be about 50 teams in the Premier League. No club has a given right to be anywhere other than their current league position.


Yep, not everyone can succeed, but everyone can aspire. What has been hard for me sometimes is to remember that Neil Hudgell, Jamie Peacock and I imagine Bud Selig did aspire to success. They genuinely believed in their patient rebuilds, and didn’t anticipate the extent to which others would say it was worthy and the right thing to do and want no part of it themselves.

Rugby Raider wrote:
With Rovers, they seem to have changed approach several times under NH. They created a good team under Justin Morgan, but have just drifted since. Their squad strategy changed, they had some quality players, then went for less quality but more strength in depth and said they are now aiming to go for a smaller squad with more quality. They’ve also become a plucky loser team. One short kick off last season on Sky propelled them to innovators with an expansive game, which ultimately ended in defeat.


True enough. Over 15+ years you’re bound to see changes in approach and given limited resources the club has to prioritise rather than being strong across the board. But I think there’s been a tendency (in the past, rather than now hopefully) to decide what ‘we’ want the solution to be and work backwards from that, rather than rationally analysing where value could be found. Neil Hudgell grew tired with it a while ago and although I’m sure Mike Smith was a competent, hard-working administrator and fine servant to the club but he wasn’t the strategic vision guy. Hopefully, from my perspective, Paul Lakin and Tony Smith can change perceptions of the club, including that plucky loser opponent tag. Or at very least try in a way I can believe might work.
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.
Re: Forward available? Sun May 09, 2021 3:42 pm  

User avatarMrs Barista wrote:
Mrs Barista User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:28 am
Posts: 28610
Location: West Yorkshire
Thought I read Satae OOC somewhere - is that right? :?
Re: Forward available? Sun May 09, 2021 3:44 pm  

ccs wrote:
ccs Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:58 pm
Posts: 5099
Mrs Barista wrote:
Thought I read Satae OOC somewhere - is that right? :?

We've got an option for another year.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=608437&p=19118218#p18928894
Re: Forward available? Sun May 09, 2021 3:53 pm  

bonaire wrote:
bonaire Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:39 pm
Posts: 4538
Mrs Barista wrote:
Thought I read Satae OOC somewhere - is that right? :?


Looks happy and settled to me as does Ligi Sao so i dont think there will be a problem with these two been with us next season
Re: Forward available? Sun May 09, 2021 5:16 pm  

User avatarMrs Barista wrote:
Mrs Barista User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:28 am
Posts: 28610
Location: West Yorkshire
bonaire wrote:
Looks happy and settled to me as does Ligi Sao so i dont think there will be a problem with these two been with us next season

I don't think we can be over confident. Forwards in short supply so market might be competitive as Lawler is finding with 4 clubs in for him.
Re: Forward available? Sun May 09, 2021 5:51 pm  

User avatarChris71 wrote:
Chris71 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:46 am
Posts: 5622
Location: Never never land away with the fairies
Mrs Barista wrote:
bonaire wrote:
Looks happy and settled to me as does Ligi Sao so i dont think there will be a problem with these two been with us next season

I don't think we can be over confident. Forwards in short supply so market might be competitive as Lawler is finding with 4 clubs in for him.


Whilst nothing is ever certain until contracts are signed (even then not always the case) I think Bonaire makes a very valid point about both Sao & Satae looking happy and enjoying the game. The togetherness and team spirit that certainly seems very evident under BH can not be underestimated and it’s something that they seem to hold in high regard.

I also believe as a club we are moving forward and that they would very much want to continue to be a part of that.
I really enjoy long walks especially when they are taken by people I don't like!
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: B0NES, Chris71, Dave K., Greavsie, hull2524, Irregs#16, Jared94, K-Diddy, Karen, McFc, R.B.A, Rocknrolla69er, spegs, Steve0, themightynortherner and 324 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Hull FC - blackandwhites.co.uk


When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Sun 19th Sep
SL RND: 25 Huddersfield42-24Leigh
CH RND: 22 Bradford22-36Whitehaven
CH RND: 22 Dewsbury21-14Oldham
CH RND: 22 Featherstone78-10Sheffield
CH RND: 22 Halifax10-12Batley
CH RND: 22 Swinton16-26Widnes
CH RND: 22 York30-22LondonB
L1 RND: 22 Doncaster31-10Hunslet
WSL RND: 16 St.HelensW52-0WiganW
WSL RND: 16 YorkW28-14CastlefordW
Sat 18th Sep
NRL RND: 27 Penrith8-6Parramatta
CH RND: 22 Newcastle12-82Toulouse
L1 RND: 22 Crusaders14-28Keighley
Fri 17th Sep
SL RND: 25 Leeds36-12Hull KR
SL RND: 25 Salford26-14St.Helens
SLRND: 25 Wakefield44-12Hull FC
SL RND: 25 Wigan12-8Catalans
NRL RND: 27 Manly42-6Sydney
Thu 16th Sep
SL RND: 25 Castleford24-40Warrington
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 25
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 24 815 316 499 42
Penrith 24 640 280 360 42
Souths 24 775 453 322 40
Manly 24 744 492 252 32
Sydney 24 636 475 161 32
Parramatta 24 566 457 109 30
Newcastle 24 428 571 -143 24
Gold Coast 24 568 553 15 20
 
Cronulla 24 512 556 -44 20
Canberra 24 481 578 -97 20
St.George 24 474 616 -142 16
NZ Warriors 24 453 624 -171 16
Wests 24 500 714 -214 16
Brisbane 24 446 695 -249 14
NQL Cowboys 24 460 748 -288 14
Canterbury 24 340 710 -370 6
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 25
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 23 688 398 290 38 172.86 82.61
St.Helens 21 548 229 319 32 239.30 76.19
Warrington 21 588 354 234 31 166.10 73.81
Wigan 25 387 385 2 30 100.52 60
Leeds 24 556 440 116 26 126.36 54.17
Hull KR 20 497 458 39 20 108.52 50
 
Castleford 23 439 552 -113 22 79.53 47.83
Hull FC 21 409 476 -67 17 85.92 40.48
Huddersfield 24 460 516 -56 18 89.15 37.50
Wakefield 24 482 548 -66 18 87.96 37.50
Salford 22 402 586 -184 14 68.60 31.82
Leigh 22 356 870 -514 4 40.92 9.09
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 20
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 13 616 112 504 26 550 100
Featherstone 19 817 254 563 34 321.65 94.74
Halifax 19 512 323 189 26 158.51 68.42
Bradford 18 483 455 28 24 106.15 66.67
LondonB 18 504 499 5 21 101 63.89
Batley 19 525 370 155 24 141.89 63.16
 
Whitehaven 20 447 496 -49 21 90.12 52.50
York 19 470 455 15 16 103.30 42.11
Widnes 19 458 509 -51 15 89.98 39.47
Newcastle 18 381 521 -140 13 73.13 36.11
Sheffield 18 382 553 -171 13 69.08 36.11
Dewsbury 19 308 570 -262 13 54.04 34.21
Oldham 19 270 691 -421 5 39.07 13.16
Swinton 20 354 719 -365 3 49.24 7.50
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 22
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 17 596 275 321 27 216.73 79.41
Workington 15 471 310 161 21 151.94 70
Doncaster 18 503 400 103 24 125.75 66.67
Keighley 19 640 399 241 25 160.40 65.79
Crusaders 18 553 438 115 22 126.26 61.11
Hunslet 19 572 466 106 20 122.75 52.63
 
Rochdale 17 505 488 17 17 103.48 50
Coventry 17 407 460 -53 12 88.48 35.29
LondonS 18 292 577 -285 7 50.61 19.44
West Wales 18 208 896 -688 1 23.21 2.78
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
St.HelensW 7 370 36 334 12 1,027.78 85.71
WiganW 6 222 64 158 10 346.88 83.33
YorkW 6 186 102 84 8 182.35 66.67
CastlefordW 6 166 96 70 8 172.92 66.67
BradfordW 8 158 264 -106 6 59.85 37.50
Hudds W 7 104 288 -184 4 36.11 28.57
 
Wire W 8 150 334 -184 4 44.91 25
FeatherstoneW 8 122 338 -216 4 36.09 25
LeedsW 7 364 38 326 14 957.89 100
WakefieldW 7 50 332 -282 0 15.06 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X
::::::::