FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Building the Club- securing financial stability
RankPostsTeam
International Star2313
JoinedServiceReputation
May 24 201113 years37th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 14:069th May 24 22:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

It was as if the Allam’s ran the SMC at that time was doing everything it could to hamper/hinder the Stadium rather than anything positive due to pettiness for not being handed the Stadium or the surrounding land for nothing.

The stadium can not exist sufficiently unless the SMC maximise its use and its something that needs addressing.[/quote]
This^^^^^*
Best post I’ve seen on here for years. I sincerely hope AP is talking to the present SMC encumbant’s about new revenue streams, especially concerts.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12596
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years125th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 16:2011th May 24 07:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Armavinit wrote:
Best post I’ve seen on here for years. I sincerely hope AP is talking to the present SMC encumbant’s about new revenue streams, especially concerts.

It’s not something that directly effects him or Hull FC though. Unless he wanted to hire it to put on concerts, I suppose.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator7875
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200420 years3rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 02:0410th May 24 14:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I really enjoy long walks especially when they are taken by people I don't like!

Mild Rover wrote:
Armavinit wrote:

It’s not something that directly effects him or Hull FC though. Unless he wanted to hire it to put on concerts, I suppose.

To be honest I'd say it actually does directly affect AP & Hull FC as well as Hull City as the less use the Stadium see's outside of rugby or football match days the more the cost is for both Hull FC & Hull City as both clubs will bear the brunt of this. The more use/revenue streams they can attract/get from external sources such as Concerts/Events will help towards the running and upkeep costs which in turn should help to reduce the burden on both clubs to cover the majority of the costs.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12596
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years125th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Chris71 wrote:
To be honest I'd say it actually does directly affect AP & Hull FC as well as Hull City as the less use the Stadium see's outside of rugby or football match days the more the cost is for both Hull FC & Hull City as both clubs will bear the brunt of this. The more use/revenue streams they can attract/get from external sources such as Concerts/Events will help towards the running and upkeep costs which in turn should help to reduce the burden on both clubs to cover the majority of the costs.

The more use it sees, the more upkeep and running it requires, as well. There may be some marginal gain for Hull FC, but if the stadium started generating profits I’m sure there’s a whole load of social care and potholes and stuff like that, that could make a dent in them.

The underlying problem is that, as Pearson alluded to recently, RL doesn’t generate enough revenue. Trying to fix it by relying on concert promoters or property developers or suchlike won’t make much difference because those people want the profits from their activities.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player520
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 17 20203 years111th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 07:109th May 24 12:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I have become , comfortably numb.

Mild Rover wrote:
The more use it sees, the more upkeep and running it requires, as well. There may be some marginal gain for Hull FC, but if the stadium started generating profits I’m sure there’s a whole load of social care and potholes and stuff like that, that could make a dent in them.

The underlying problem is that, as Pearson alluded to recently, RL doesn’t generate enough revenue. Trying to fix it by relying on concert promoters or property developers or suchlike won’t make much difference because those people want the profits from their activities.

I think you make a valid point, but, the additional upkeep costs would then also be factored into the fees charged for the use of the venue, so materially would not increase Hulls percentage cost of that element, it may be that if enough regular events can be attracted , that would actually lesser our's and City's burden.
If you consider that Hull's financial strength was unquestionable, without the pandemic derailing it, and attendances and memberships are still strong, with a bit of innovative marketing the stadium could become a strength rather than a weakness, that some perceive it to be. The state of the game in general in the UK is what should worry us all. There are numerous clubs, among all divisions who are getting by on a week to week basis and the whole sport, in its current format could be at its weakest point ever, such is the dwindling interest in the UK game of RL.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator7875
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200420 years3rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 02:0410th May 24 14:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I really enjoy long walks especially when they are taken by people I don't like!

Mild Rover wrote:

Who mentioned the Stadium in terms of generating profits? What I was saying was that if the Stadiums potential was unlocked in terms of other uses other than Hull FC & Hull City fixtures this could be used to offset the operational & upkeep costs, reducing the burden to both clubs, the SMC and Council.

The upkeep required with more use would actually be marginal and any extra costs incurred should/would be added to the price for its use/hire.

It's also not about 'trying to fix it by relying on concert promoters or property developers or suchlike won’t make much difference because those people want the profits from their activities', it is simply about improving/increasing its revenue stream to offset running costs. In simplistic terms instead of just having 2 parties having to eat 2 big pieces of a pie you have 4, 5, 8, 12, the pie would remain largely the same size but each party has a lot less to eat than just 2.
UllFC 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16930No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 27 200420 years35th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th May 24 20:286th May 24 20:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Chris71 wrote:
Who mentioned the Stadium in terms of generating profits? What I was saying was that if the Stadiums potential was unlocked in terms of other uses other than Hull FC & Hull City fixtures this could be used to offset the operational & upkeep costs, reducing the burden to both clubs, the SMC and Council.

The upkeep required with more use would actually be marginal and any extra costs incurred should/would be added to the price for its use/hire.

It's also not about 'trying to fix it by relying on concert promoters or property developers or suchlike won’t make much difference because those people want the profits from their activities', it is simply about improving/increasing its revenue stream to offset running costs. In simplistic terms instead of just having 2 parties having to eat 2 big pieces of a pie you have 4, 5, 8, 12, the pie would remain largely the same size but each party has a lot less to eat than just 2.

While the stadium size doesnt suit every music act, looking up the coast Middlesbrough have hosted acts like Arctic Monkeys, The Killers and Take That in recent years. How much money that makes for the stadium I dont know, but having gone to the Killers gig the town centre was heaving and hotel prices extrotionate so the boost to the local area is significant.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12596
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years125th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Chris71 wrote:

I’m somewhat dubious about the amount of potential there is to unlock, but setting that aside…

You are talking about profits… it’s just that you’re immediately converting them into a discount for Hull FC (and City). Realistically, Hull FC are going to be back of the queue behind management and ownership.

Or, if Hull FC unlocked their potential and increased SMC revenue, then maybe they could offer more attractive deals to Bronski Beat or Kasabian or Little Mix.
HU8HFC 
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player675No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 09 20222 years65th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 15:489th May 24 18:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Another interesting read from AP in the Yorkshire Post, makes some good points regarding IMG needing funding.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7232No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 07 200518 years30th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 14:409th May 24 13:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!

yeh good piece the SMC stuff is such a good idea at least in some respects for the RFL have been to inward looking and too parochial for far too long. We certainly need to do something to rescue a game which is fast going backwards but at present I think Adam is right its bricks without straw as we are expecting them to reposition the game in the eyes of the sporting public in an ever expanding market place with no core financial support. As for what he says about the complaints from clubs that are 'relegated' not on league position but on grading that's a given. They all signed up to it but when it's actually them that's going down on their grading rather than their league position, there will be hell on with a lot of shouting, recriminations and no doubt threats of legal action.

her it is if you haven't read it!

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/r ... ue-4478452
yeh good piece the SMC stuff is such a good idea at least in some respects for the RFL have been to inward looking and too parochial for far too long. We certainly need to do something to rescue a game which is fast going backwards but at present I think Adam is right its bricks without straw as we are expecting them to reposition the game in the eyes of the sporting public in an ever expanding market place with no core financial support. As for what he says about the complaints from clubs that are 'relegated' not on league position but on grading that's a given. They all signed up to it but when it's actually them that's going down on their grading rather than their league position, there will be hell on with a lot of shouting, recriminations and no doubt threats of legal action.

her it is if you haven't read it!

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/r ... ue-4478452
PreviousNext