FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Huddersfield Giants 6 - 12 Wigan Warriors LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Latest
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Smith - should he stay or should he go?
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player70No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 17 20222 years261st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 06:4415th Apr 24 18:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:55 am  
Armavinit wrote:
Wow been waiting for a club rallying call but never thought AP would do it on this forum

LOL, yeah my post did turn into a bit of a rallying call but I can't help the way I feel. We need to come together as a club and as supporters we canonly do the part we are responsible for.... support to the vest of our abilities. With respect, do you have an alternative approach?
RankPostsTeam
International Star2313
JoinedServiceReputation
May 24 201113 years37th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 07:269th May 24 22:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:56 am  
EtonStreetRifle wrote:
LOL, yeah my post did turn into a bit of a rallying call but I can't help the way I feel. We need to come together as a club and as supporters we canonly do the part we are responsible for.... support to the vest of our abilities. With respect, do you have an alternative approach?

I’ve been labelled by some on here as a”happy clapper” and a club apologist. I renew my pass with direct debit, I recently renewed my Hull Live subscription at the full price even though as a pass holder you can get for half, plus all games are on tv. I do sit at the MKM in stunned silence, politely shaking my head, unfortunately your call for fans to be more animated isn’t going to happen with the dross being served up now and for the last 7 years. I don’t think there is an alternate approach. AP and TS are extracting the maximum amount of urine possible and it’s going to bleed the passion from a fan base that can only take so much this season because the club’s attitude has been the same for a considerable amount of time. I’ll renew my passes because that’s what I do but far too many will not , that’s a fact and a fair chunk will not be induced to return. The silence from the club is deafening, and many “loyal supporters” feel disenfranchised, it’s the club that needs to come up with a different approach, not me. Your post was a rallying call falling on deaf ears, even though I had my hearing aids in.
Steve0 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1893No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 03 200321 years36th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 16:0011th May 24 13:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:07 am  
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... n=sharebar

The weekly "we need to learn" article, bit of a dig at supporters turning on the team too "the loyal supporters will stick with us"...give us something to make us stick with you Tony, 100% effort from all players and we will, half ar$ed tackling, defensive gaps wider than a Chinese motorway and our only attacking being kick to a winger that isn't chasing for a ball, then no a lot of us won't stick with you
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... n=sharebar

The weekly "we need to learn" article, bit of a dig at supporters turning on the team too "the loyal supporters will stick with us"...give us something to make us stick with you Tony, 100% effort from all players and we will, half ar$ed tackling, defensive gaps wider than a Chinese motorway and our only attacking being kick to a winger that isn't chasing for a ball, then no a lot of us won't stick with you
RankPostsTeam
Junior Player123
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 16 20240 years212th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 08:2611th May 24 14:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:13 am  
Steve0 wrote:
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/tony-smiths-first-look-derby-9185729?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

He really doesn't sound confident at all reading that:

"That's sometimes where you see spirit, determination and people dig in. Sometimes being written off can be a good thing." Sometimes?! If he can't get the players up for a derby and the players can't get get themselves up for a derby then it's already lost.

"We'll see what we can do about it, but when you get it right and you turn things around, it's quite sweet. We've got a bit of work to do before we get to that stage." It's not about seeing what you can do, it's about doing it. That's your job Tony. And talking about needing to do a bit of work to get to the stage certainly doesn't sound like you think we'll be at that stage by Friday.

"We’ve got to keep putting them out there and asking them to perform really well. We’ll get through this when we get some more troops back and we can relive people of some pressure." Again it sounds like he's writing things off and hoping that returning players will be the one's to turn it around
Last edited by Roam Ranger on Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator7875
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200420 years3rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 02:0410th May 24 14:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I really enjoy long walks especially when they are taken by people I don't like!

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:14 am  
giddyupoldfella wrote:
If this season so far was a game of poker, then Smith has been dealt a hand of 7 2 every week. And I hate to feel sorry for ourselves, and make excuses. But the facts are that every single game so far this season we've been dealt a hand of 7 2. We were into the loan market after week 3 of the season.

I get that to an extent but using your card playing analogy could it be that Smith is now a busted flush? Lets be honest his track record has been good but on the flip side of that Huddersfield, Leeds and Warrington were all wealthy clubs. His time at Rovers for me is a bit of a mixed bag.

Its not just a case of Smith having players that are injured or suspended (though most of the suspensions have been our own doing) so much more the lack of any organisation, leadership, structure, game plans, discipline and the list goes on and on.
Its not as though Smith has only just taken over or is inexperienced, he has now been at the club and overseen 2 pre seasons and to be brutally frank and honest we look a damn sight worse than ever in the effort areas, basic skill set, discipline and again the list goes on and those are things that aren't affected by talent etc.
Yes we know we have a side that isn't blessed with world class signings but that does not excuse the poor lack of line speed in defence or attack which is almost bordering on lazy, the fact we start games so poorly as we don't look prepared, the poor discipline that we have just not cleaned up in the slightest and are still pretty much the dumbest team I have seen in B & W. We have had some poor team over the years and dare I say poorer than this current lot but at least other teams what they lacked in talent they made up for in heart, committment and effort, which is something that frankly can not be said for the 2024 squad.

I have yet to see anything that has been improved out on the field since Smith arrival and for an experienced Coach we should have seen something at least but we haven't. What exactly does Gene bring to the table other than a henchmen for Smith? I've heard a few times that he is not well liked within the playing squad and has little in way of skills for coaching.

This just isn't something that is new, its been happening for years even prior to the Cup wins as the teams we had in 2016/2017 were the major factor in those wins due to the leadership within the playing squad as opposed to the coaching team, all the cup wins did was paper over the cracks.

Then if things above aren't bad enough we have a club Owner/Chairman and a CEO who have gone totally mute, with the only communication coming out the club to the fans is about shirts and merchandise. The club have created a total disconnect with its fan base I honestly do not see the club coming back from this for a long long time unless some major changes take place within the club from top to bottom.
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player70No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 17 20222 years261st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 06:4415th Apr 24 18:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:30 am  
Armavinit wrote:
I’ve been labelled by some on here as a”happy clapper” and a club apologist. I renew my pass with direct debit, I recently renewed my Hull Live subscription at the full price even though as a pass holder you can get for half, plus all games are on tv. I do sit at the MKM in stunned silence, politely shaking my head, unfortunately your call for fans to be more animated isn’t going to happen with the dross being served up now and for the last 7 years. I don’t think there is an alternate approach. AP and TS are extracting the maximum amount of urine possible and it’s going to bleed the passion from a fan base that can only take so much this season because the club’s attitude has been the same for a considerable amount of time. I’ll renew my passes because that’s what I do but far too many will not , that’s a fact and a fair chunk will not be induced to return. The silence from the club is deafening, and many “loyal supporters” feel disenfranchised, it’s the club that needs to come up with a different approach, not me. Your post was a rallying call falling on deaf ears, even though I had my hearing aids in.

You obviously, like I and a lot of others support the club to the hilt financially and are entitled to your opinion. I take a different stance; I've paid my money and want to enjoy the games regardless of result / team performance. I always remember the great team of the 80's referring to the Boulevard being worth a 5 point start. I just think that two wrongs don't make a right and whilst I don't agree with much coming out of the club at the moment we'd be far better off being loud and proud at home games (we always seem to manage it away) and at least giving the team a boost and bit of confidence by backing them despite their shortcomings. I hate to say it but to be fair Drovers we're gash for years but their supporters always showed a pride in their badge.
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player429No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 02 20231 year152nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 08:1510th May 24 08:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:34 am  
Some good posts on here by fans on both scale of opinion.Il put this one out there….i have never wanted to see fc lose at all but would people take another loss and battering by Rovers and possibly the week later v Hudds to finally get shut of Smith,Gene and Grix.
RankPostsTeam
Junior Player123
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 16 20240 years212th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 08:2611th May 24 14:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:01 am  
The games afoot wrote:
Some good posts on here by fans on both scale of opinion.Il put this one out there….i have never wanted to see fc lose at all but would people take another loss and battering by Rovers and possibly the week later v Hudds to finally get shut of Smith,Gene and Grix.

For me its not about winning and losing as daft as that may sound, the issue for me is the continuation of the embarrassing and pitiful performances which have just gone on for far too many years.

I can accept any defeat but if we are to be honest we aren't been just being beaten, we just aren't turning, mentally or physically or with any apparent idea, structure or leadership.

I don't want and never will want my club to lose or hope for it to lose, but in our current start I just do not see anything other heavy defeats for the foreseeable and even games against Cas and London I fear more defeats and poor performances based on what I have seen last season and so far this season.

I feel very much the same. I don't want to see the club lose and you have to accept that you lose from time to time. You win some, you lose some. That's the very nature of sport. So that's not a problem for me. The problem is the way we are losing (and winning in the London case). It's the manner of the performances and the way the club has seemingly given up and that this has been a steady decline since 2018. There's a defeatist nature to the club at the moment and that's just not acceptable to me. Yes, maybe we don't have the greatest facilities or squad at the moment but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't still be putting their maximum effort in, doing the basics right. Someone said on another topic that the club had apparently already written this season off before it even began. That kind of attitude is shocking if true and a real spit in the face to fans. Maybe it's them being realist in the sense that we weren't going to win the cup or make the playoffs but it doesn't mean that they shouldn't be at least trying.
CarlB 
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player81No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 21 20222 years223rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 07:406th May 24 20:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:01 pm  
I'm very firmly in the Smith out camp and I resent his comments about true supporters.

I've stuck with him for two years now and seen nothing, at all, to suggest he has taken the smallest of steps forward. I think we have regressed, significantly.

I support the club. I have no more latitude left for Smith and his team as he has done nothing to earn that.

I accept the team we have can't challenge (though he has assembled a poor one) but the absolute lack of motivation, direction, effort, structure, game plan, tactics and techniques are all on him.

And he has failed and currently has the team worse then he found it.

Leigh were newly promoted last year and they rolled up to the KC with 20% of their salary cap on the sidelines. They still managed to put a half tonne on us.

Our squad is poor, but it's not 50 points per game poor.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator7875
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200420 years3rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 02:0410th May 24 14:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I really enjoy long walks especially when they are taken by people I don't like!

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:26 pm  
The games afoot wrote:

For me its not about winning and losing as daft as that may sound, the issue for me is the continuation of the embarrassing and pitiful performances which have just gone on for far too many years.

I can accept any defeat but if we are to be honest we aren't just being beaten, we just aren't turning up, mentally or physically or with any apparent idea, structure or leadership.

I don't want and never will want my club to lose or hope for it to lose, but in our current start I just do not see anything other heavy defeats for the foreseeable and even games against Cas and London I fear more defeats and poor performances based on what I have seen last season and so far this season.
PreviousNext