FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - do we have bitter fans????
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1121No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 02 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Aug 15 16:2410th Oct 14 12:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Waltzing around Wythenshawe or the cornerhouse
Signature
an atmosphere that isn't created by people in matching shirts clapping along to a drum or novelty PA music might be nice!

: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:01 pm  
Doc Holliday wrote:
I haven't renewed my ST and neither have my son and daughter. One of my mates and his family haven't either. I never thought the day would arrive when my interest in the club would wane to this extent, but the combination of different match days which clash with more serious interests and the fact that some of our supporters are embarrasing pricks who A) Can't take their ale and B) Seem to think they're at a soccer match, means I'll be spending my cash elsewhere. If you ever feel like watching an amateur game, give us a shout mate. We always enjoy your company.

Cheers doc, and likewise of course. Yes I am always up for having a gander at the local amateur set up. A few mates play for Birchfield RU (boo hiss spit :lol: ) so used to watch them a fair bit, even wnt to training for quite a while :shock: :lol:
But yes I have to echo most of your senitiments there chief, clashes with a few of my hobbies/interests too. Which is a shame. When are you next going to a local game, might pop along and have a pint. 8)

I wasn't going to mention anything about our 'supporters', but seeing as you have brought the issue up and we have similar views I may as well contribute. There are some genuinely lovely people who watch Widnes, made many a friend via the club, but like you say there are some complete loving whoppers. As you know, I appreciate banter and atmosphere, oh and having a couple of jars at the game, but I don't let it cloud my judgement and act like a nobjocky at the match. And also another thing that riles me about our fans, how quick they are to get on the team's back after a poor display or failing that, a mistake or an individual bad performance. I think half the stewards are complete and utter tools as well. I generally don't enjoy a match day experience at home anymore. Sorry none of this is aimed at any of our fans off this forum, I know the majority of you have some brain cells and don't fall into that category.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2866No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 01 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Dec 13 23:543rd Oct 12 18:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:19 pm  
Moz88 wrote:
But yes I have to echo most of your senitiments there chief, clashes with a few of my hobbies/interests too. Which is a shame. When are you next going to a local game, might pop along and have a pint. 8)

The St Maries v Queens game on Sat 14th Feb looks like it could be a very good game. I'll be in The Wids for a pint with Tony before strolling around to Brentfields (where you can't get a decent bevvy) to watch the game.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach677No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 13 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 18 11:4516th Sep 15 17:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Think For Yourself.

: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:02 pm  
Doc Holliday wrote:
The St Maries v Queens game on Sat 14th Feb looks like it could be a very good game. I'll be in The Wids for a pint with Tony before strolling around to Brentfields (where you can't get a decent bevvy) to watch the game.
Looking forward to Sat 14th Feb Doc,Magazine are playing Manchester. :lol: Happy days,Young Moz is right about the Dick ed stewards at the home games,i was watching someone been thrown out last sunday,and after this bloke had been thrown out the dicks followed him outside and started pushing him about OUTSIDE the ground.I see they even have even got a scab as a head steward,who i remember him been thrown out during the plate final against Hunslet a while back.Strange set up we are getting down there these days.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2866No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 01 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:38 pm  
1977 wrote:
Looking forward to Sat 14th Feb Doc,Magazine are playing Manchester. :lol: Happy days,Young Moz is right about the Dick ed stewards at the home games,i was watching someone been thrown out last sunday,and after this bloke had been thrown out the dicks followed him outside and started pushing him about OUTSIDE the ground.I see they even have even got a scab as a head steward,who i remember him been thrown out during the plate final against Hunslet a while back.Strange set up we are getting down there these days.

I'll bet I know who that scab is. It hangs around with those kids with the drum at away games. When the Normanton Knights fans kicked off a couple of seasons ago, the scab kept right out of the way. It looks like Cletus the Slack Jawed Yokel from The Simpsons.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach677No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 13 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 18 11:4516th Sep 15 17:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Think For Yourself.

: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:07 pm  
Doc Holliday wrote:
I'll bet I know who that scab is. It hangs around with those kids with the drum at away games. When the Normanton Knights fans kicked off a couple of seasons ago, the scab kept right out of the way. It looks like Cletus the Slack Jawed Yokel from The Simpsons.
What the fearless warrior didn't get stuck in :shock:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2866No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 01 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:12 pm  
1977 wrote:
What the fearless warrior didn't get stuck in :shock:

No. If he had been sitting in a big red van, he might have thought about driving through them. :wink:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach62No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 05 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Jul 13 14:537th Jul 13 14:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:19 pm  
Doc Holliday wrote:

Bears v Cadishead the game of this weekend for me
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28736No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 23 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Apr 16 15:3723rd Mar 16 01:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
@chemical_viking

: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:54 pm  
I think tbh we have every right to be bitter, and I doubt any bitterness I harbour will simply dissappear just because people are telling me to "get over it", usually fans of clubs who have never been in this position. We're one of the founding RL clubs, we're a real stronghold for rugby league, a town where it is dominant, and they treat us really shoddily. Like we're an inconvenient truth, that the game is, yes, northern, and yes, working class. The reality we present to them is not the one they want the public to see. They'd like to con the public that the game is national, but it will be significantly less so if they continue to dump on teams like ours.

It's disgraceful the way we are treated. I'm bitter because of it. The rugby league community is coming apart. I remember a game where, okay, there were some pretty fierce rivalries, but you'd defend the game and feel a certain affinity with the other fans of the game. Now, I wouldnt defend it if you paid me, and fans of other clubs do nothing but slag each other off. I couldn't give a crap about the game in general, the people running it are liars. A number of teams lied about things in the run up to the franchises. Now a number of teams whose stadiums were in the bag are now talking about them very hypothetically again, and one has flat out (and conveniently) dropped the plans. And plenty of teams with very solid accounts are asking for sky money in advance. We were in effect punished for the same crime twice, and yet we've got a certain southern team in there who have consistently been on the racks financially, and supporter wise, who got in no questions asked.

I'm not just bitter, I'm a little worried. The almighty association football swallows up more and more of towns like ours, and with the constant dicking around we get the harder it is to introduce the youngsters and convince them that widnes is a rugby town and the more older fans turn away from it. People don't want to be associated with a team who doesn't have a chance to better itself.

Basically, I hope this "new era" of super league dies on its booty and the powers that be have to turn to its hardcore once again, because that'll benefit Widnes and at the end of the day, it is all I care about with rugby league. Fook the good of the game. The game never seems to look after us. It's ran by business minded liars with no concept of soul.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2866No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 01 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:27 am  
Excellent post Brother Dalton. I don't see that rugby league is as strong in the town as it was 20 or 30 years ago, but that's down to our old friends at Sky and the constant hyping of Premiership football, which is really only the same as WWF wrestling with a ball added.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach224No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 26 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Apr 17 16:461st Mar 14 00:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:42 pm  
Doc Holliday wrote:
Excellent post Brother Dalton. I don't see that rugby league is as strong in the town as it was 20 or 30 years ago, but that's down to our old friends at Sky and the constant hyping of Premiership football, which is really only the same as WWF wrestling with a ball added.

No it is not,it is down to the lack of 'success' driving the fans who were spoilt by 20 or 30 years ago away.And Doc you are not one of them I hope.
PreviousNext