FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - do we have bitter fans????
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2548No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 06 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Mar 14 22:2518th May 12 23:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:19 pm  
as a halifax fan i feel your fans have a right to be upset at not being in super league. how salford got in ahead of widnes is a mystery to me. you have the better ground the better finances the better chance of competing better really.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman33727No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 22 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st May 22 15:3626th May 22 09:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:10 pm  
Don't worry Twitch, they were still saying on here that we've got an inferior team, even after we hammered them at HP (RIP) :wink:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach743No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 08 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Mar 16 09:2324th Jul 14 19:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
TF and the wire said of the Widnes Vikings....Best in the World.

A pint and a fight - A great British night.

: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:06 am  
Leyther_Matt wrote:
Don't worry Twitch, they were still saying on here that we've got an inferior team, even after we hammered them at HP (RIP) :wink:

Sometimes lesser teams win.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 09 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Mar 16 12:035th Mar 16 19:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
kcab sfrawdder

Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity

Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike

SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one
Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried.
So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
That couldn’t be done, and he did it!

: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:12 am  
rufustanner wrote:
Sometimes lesser teams win.

Yes Rufus we know , you beat Leeds in and FC last season 2007 :wink: :lol:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1121No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 02 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Aug 15 16:2410th Oct 14 12:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Waltzing around Wythenshawe or the cornerhouse
Signature
an atmosphere that isn't created by people in matching shirts clapping along to a drum or novelty PA music might be nice!

: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:31 am  
1977 wrote:
To be honest i don't give a flying fork any more,i didn't think we would get in the first place.I think i would rather be in this league fighting for a chance of winning something,instead of treading water in the Murdoch league without a cat in hells chance of winning anything. Any how no matter what happens in the bent world of rl,i still have my music and if the push came to shove i know which i would rather have.Old punks never die,we just stand at the back and drink.

Aye mate, have to agree with you. I have decided to 'NOT' purchase a ST this year. For a number of reasons! Won't be going to all home games, probably most. Would rather save my dosh if completely honest, have a lot of debt to pay off at the minute, so saving my rugby fix for the away games, don't think I'll be bothering with a home game until the start of the league. But I will not be called by anyone, as doc and 77 will vouch I'm a lifelong chemics fan, and gone home and away for god knows how long.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3687No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 01 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Sep 12 22:566th May 12 01:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:04 am  
Moz88 wrote:
Aye mate, have to agree with you. I have decided to 'NOT' purchase a ST this year. For a number of reasons! Won't be going to all home games, probably most. Would rather save my dosh if completely honest, have a lot of debt to pay off at the minute, so saving my rugby fix for the away games, don't think I'll be bothering with a home game until the start of the league. But I will not be called by anyone, as doc and 77 will vouch I'm a lifelong chemics fan, and gone home and away for god knows how long.

I'm certainly not going to call any fan for not getting to games, but it is a bit worrying that a lot of people might not be regulars next season (if your views represent a lot of Widnes fans). From the season ticket sales news that came out of the club, it all sounded promising, but the attendances against Whitehaven, Salford and particularly Saints was very poor. There must have been less than 2,000 Widnes fans there for all 3 games. From memory I think the attendance for this Saints game was around 1,500 less than the last friendly against Saints 2 years ago. Now if we assume that most of the missing fans were Widnes fans (with it being a home game) then it doesn't really bode too well for the coming season.

I know there are a million and one reasons why people can't or just don't want to go to games, but if people can just hang on in there, people might just forget about the politics and enjoy the games themselves. Its not the club's fault or SO'C's fault that all is not great in the game at the moment and although some of the games are a bit tedious and lack atmosphere, I for one will still be there.

I think what it is for me is that I am a Widnes fan 1st and foremost and a rugby fan 2nd. Do I give 2 sh!ts if the game expands? No. Did I want Catalans in SL at the expense of Widnes - for the good of the game - did I fook. Will I care about the game if Quins go bust tomorrow and Widnes get a chance to go into SL? Don't be daft. If fact that goes for any club, no offence to other club's fans, but if any SL club goes bust, my 1st thought will be - "Will Widnes benefit?" and then after that "will that club be dealt with properly by the RFL?" As they did with Widnes. After all, when Widnes went bust almost everyone else said they had no sympathy for us and it was all of our own doing. No-one really cared about us fans and the fact that there might not have been a pro Widnes team anymore. Would I really care that much if Sky ditched RL and we all went back to winter rugby? Not really.

The way I feel at the moment and probably always have done is that as long as Widnes have got a team, my loyalties lie with them and I support whatever is best the club - not RL as a whole. For anyone who is an RL supporter 1st and a Widnes fan 2nd then can totally understand them being disillusioned with the game. Personally I try not to think much about the game as a whole and the politics - it seems to make watching the game a lot easier.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3575No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 16 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Oct 19 21:2424th Sep 17 09:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Keeping my head down the wrong side of Fiddlers Ferry..
Signature

: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:00 am  
V4E... your posts are normally quite long in length but pretty much always well constructed and I'd agree with most of what you posted on here... I do disagree with the fact that you thought most fans had no sympathy with our club when we went into administration. I think that we had a good amount of good feeling from fans in general and it was appreciated at the time.
There will certainly be those fans that only care about their club and as long as expansion is good for their club then they will back it to the hilt. The minute they find themselves on the wrong side of a decision made in favour of expansion we will see their true colours of that I am certain.
Speaking as someone that didn't go on Sunday... I will be attending every home game I can this season and have bought a season ticket but there will be a few that I can't. The reason that I didn't go was purely and simply down to the fact that I didn't fancy it..
Paid £14 on Tuesday to watch us against Salfud and thought another £14 on Sunday to watch us get beat in a meaningless friendly and for me to get cold was enough to turn me off. All credit to those that went mind.
Moz.. hope you get yourself straight mate. I've been in a little debt before.. nothing too bad.. but they way it plays on your mind is a horrible thing.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1121No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 02 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Aug 15 16:2410th Oct 14 12:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Waltzing around Wythenshawe or the cornerhouse
Signature
an atmosphere that isn't created by people in matching shirts clapping along to a drum or novelty PA music might be nice!

: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:20 am  
In EnemyTerritory wrote:
V4E... your posts are normally quite long in length but pretty much always well constructed and I'd agree with most of what you posted on here... I do disagree with the fact that you thought most fans had no sympathy with our club when we went into administration. I think that we had a good amount of good feeling from fans in general and it was appreciated at the time.
There will certainly be those fans that only care about their club and as long as expansion is good for their club then they will back it to the hilt. The minute they find themselves on the wrong side of a decision made in favour of expansion we will see their true colours of that I am certain.
Speaking as someone that didn't go on Sunday... I will be attending every home game I can this season and have bought a season ticket but there will be a few that I can't. The reason that I didn't go was purely and simply down to the fact that I didn't fancy it..
Paid £14 on Tuesday to watch us against Salfud and thought another £14 on Sunday to watch us get beat in a meaningless friendly and for me to get cold was enough to turn me off. All credit to those that went mind.
Moz.. hope you get yourself straight mate. I've been in a little debt before.. nothing too bad.. but they way it plays on your mind is a horrible thing.

cheers matey. Oh don't get me wrong, it isn't anything particularly serious, more of 'got other things to make priority'. Which is a bit of a shame. Booking this damn flight to france bieng one. :lol:
I have been to all the friendlies, all except St Helens at home, that was due to being in London for the Weekend. Don't get me wrong, I am going to try and make as many home games as physically/financially possible. People find it bizzarre that I'd prefer to go to away matches than home, but just my way of seeing it, can make more of a day of things.

Like V4E, I class myself as a 'Widnes fan', and a widnes fan only. Balls to being a RL fan, where has that ever got me, or my club? It is very alarming that we were 1.5k down on our last friendly (2006) against the Saints, butas you are all well aware, there are 101 factors behind this. I genuinely don't believe the club are to blame for stay-aways, but however I don't really think paying £14 on the door is acceptable, that isn't a dig as such, just my POV. Essentially this season means jack sh*t to a hell of a lot of WIdnes supporters, we can't be promoted! Ok we can all see ahead of this, and realise we have to maintain a healthy challenge at the top of the championship/National League, but for a big percentage of Widnes there is little or no incentive. :cry: And as you said yourselves, the intensity of the matches isn't there a lot of the time, which means pretty much no atmosphere week in, week out.

With regard to other fans' sympathy votes, I am sadly in agreement with V4E, although some voiced 'how sorry' they were on here and alternative forums, there was still an over-riding majority who were claiming to be 'expansionists' as I remember. I remember when Cas went down in 2004, and we survived after that away game at Hull FC, we were all over the Cas forums saying how gutted we all were they'd gone at our expense, but lets face it, we didn't geniunely mean it.

Anyway rant over :wink:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach743No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 08 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Mar 16 09:2324th Jul 14 19:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
TF and the wire said of the Widnes Vikings....Best in the World.

A pint and a fight - A great British night.

: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:07 pm  
Starbug wrote:
Yes Rufus we know , you beat Leeds in and FC last season 2007 :wink: :lol:

Any chance of a translation into English?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2866No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 01 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Dec 13 23:543rd Oct 12 18:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:54 pm  
Moz88 wrote:

I haven't renewed my ST and neither have my son and daughter. One of my mates and his family haven't either. I never thought the day would arrive when my interest in the club would wane to this extent, but the combination of different match days which clash with more serious interests and the fact that some of our supporters are embarrasing pricks who A) Can't take their ale and B) Seem to think they're at a soccer match, means I'll be spending my cash elsewhere. If you ever feel like watching an amateur game, give us a shout mate. We always enjoy your company.
PreviousNext