OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Apr 16 18:4522nd Feb 16 18:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Love a brew.

Vikings’ Chairman looks to the future : Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:25 pm  
Widnes Chairman Steve O'Connor has spoken about the decision to part company with Steve McCormack one game into the Northern Rail Cup campaign.
"The players we have recruited for this season have actually played five games not just the one and it was hoped that with the squad we have we would have played more expansive and entertaining rugby than in 2008. Unfortunately this hasn't been the case and when I met with Steve Mac on Monday morning we had a very amicable discussion about matters but ultimately it was my decision to replace Steve.

"For the moment we are in no rush to appoint a new Head Coach and I am completely comfortable with John Stankevitch and believe the spell in charge will aid his development as a coach.

"We have not advertised the job as yet but have already had six or eight applicants including some of the names being mentioned in the media from both home and abroad. However, I envisage the process taking a number of weeks with the process including short-listing and interviewing. There will be five or six people involved in the selection process including people from outside the Club.

"This is an important decision for the Club. We need a leader who will take us forward and if this takes a while then so be it."

Sporting Director Terry O'Connor added, "John and I spoke to the players yesterday and they are aware of what they have to do now. It's not all down to the coach and the players have to realise they have let not only Steve, but the fans down. Being a professional player means that they have to make sacrifices and conduct themselves as a professional both on and off the field, it's not just about the 80 minutes on matchday."

John Stankevitch is looking forward to the challenge ahead, "I spoke to the players yesterday and outlined my position. Steve O'Connor has told me that he sees a long term future for me at the Club and whilst I want to be the Head Coach if that means continuing my development alongside a new Head Coach then so be it.

"Whilst a relatively young coach I have experience in this league and am confident that I can do well. I hope my personality will have an effect on the players and we have already had two good training sessions.

"Gateshead have recruited well over the close season and have a good young coach in Chris Hood. They will be coming down here looking to show our full time players that we are second best. Our players have to realise that every game we play the opposition will have this attitude and we have to be prepared to play from the off.

"For a number of games we have started slowly but this week I want the players to be fired up from the first whistle. I will look to make changes in the game day preparation and believe that these will have the desired affect."

www.widnesvikings.co.uk

There will be five or six people involved in the selection process including people from outside the Club.

People from outside the club hmmmmmmmm
Widnes Chairman Steve O'Connor has spoken about the decision to part company with Steve McCormack one game into the Northern Rail Cup campaign.
"The players we have recruited for this season have actually played five games not just the one and it was hoped that with the squad we have we would have played more expansive and entertaining rugby than in 2008. Unfortunately this hasn't been the case and when I met with Steve Mac on Monday morning we had a very amicable discussion about matters but ultimately it was my decision to replace Steve.

"For the moment we are in no rush to appoint a new Head Coach and I am completely comfortable with John Stankevitch and believe the spell in charge will aid his development as a coach.

"We have not advertised the job as yet but have already had six or eight applicants including some of the names being mentioned in the media from both home and abroad. However, I envisage the process taking a number of weeks with the process including short-listing and interviewing. There will be five or six people involved in the selection process including people from outside the Club.

"This is an important decision for the Club. We need a leader who will take us forward and if this takes a while then so be it."

Sporting Director Terry O'Connor added, "John and I spoke to the players yesterday and they are aware of what they have to do now. It's not all down to the coach and the players have to realise they have let not only Steve, but the fans down. Being a professional player means that they have to make sacrifices and conduct themselves as a professional both on and off the field, it's not just about the 80 minutes on matchday."

John Stankevitch is looking forward to the challenge ahead, "I spoke to the players yesterday and outlined my position. Steve O'Connor has told me that he sees a long term future for me at the Club and whilst I want to be the Head Coach if that means continuing my development alongside a new Head Coach then so be it.

"Whilst a relatively young coach I have experience in this league and am confident that I can do well. I hope my personality will have an effect on the players and we have already had two good training sessions.

"Gateshead have recruited well over the close season and have a good young coach in Chris Hood. They will be coming down here looking to show our full time players that we are second best. Our players have to realise that every game we play the opposition will have this attitude and we have to be prepared to play from the off.

"For a number of games we have started slowly but this week I want the players to be fired up from the first whistle. I will look to make changes in the game day preparation and believe that these will have the desired affect."

www.widnesvikings.co.uk

There will be five or six people involved in the selection process including people from outside the Club.

Pepe 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5870No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 18 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Jan 16 18:1511th Aug 14 17:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
On thread drift:
tb wrote:
Tough. Conversations develop. It's their nature.

Little Pepe went to nursery school one day wearing his Widnes hat. His teacher asked him why he was a Widnes fan. He said, “Because my parents are.” His teacher said, “That’s not good. What would you do if your parents were drug dealers and hookers?” He replied, “Well then I would be a Warrington fan.”

There's a Wooly over there, baggy kecks and feathered hair
with a 3 star jumper half way up his back, that’s a fecking Wooly back!

Oooh-to… Oooh-to-be… Oooh-to-be-a… WOOLY!

-VIKINGMAN- wrote:

I found that a little strange too.

Who could they be talking about?
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3575No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 16 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Oct 19 21:2424th Sep 17 09:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Keeping my head down the wrong side of Fiddlers Ferry..
Signature

Pepe wrote:
I found that a little strange too.

Who could they be talking about?

Let's face it.. the last time we were in a position to find a coach the people 'inside' the club advised on re-installing Steve Mac. I'm not surprised that he's gone about making sure that mistake doesn't happen again..

Like with pretty much everything he's done this 'advisory panel' smacks of pure professionalism on his part as well as common sense. If you don't feel like you have the knowledge.. bring in people that do.
Pepe 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5870No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 18 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
On thread drift:
tb wrote:

Little Pepe went to nursery school one day wearing his Widnes hat. His teacher asked him why he was a Widnes fan. He said, “Because my parents are.” His teacher said, “That’s not good. What would you do if your parents were drug dealers and hookers?” He replied, “Well then I would be a Warrington fan.”

In EnemyTerritory wrote:
Let's face it.. the last time we were in a position to find a coach the people 'inside' the club advised on re-installing Steve Mac. I'm not surprised that he's gone about making sure that mistake doesn't happen again..

Like with pretty much everything he's done this 'advisory panel' smacks of pure professionalism on his part as well as common sense. If you don't feel like you have the knowledge.. bring in people that do.

Fair enough, but who?

And how does he know he can trust them anymore than his own backroom staff? :ASK:

What does that also say of his opinion of the backroom staff too?
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16474No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 29 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Love a brew.

: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:04 pm  
He may look to Eamon McManus at Saints as they always get good coaches.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3575No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 16 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:05 pm  
Thing is Pepe, who are the backroom staff. From the sounds of things both Stuart Wilkinson and John Stankevitch have both put their names forward for the job. So I guess that resource might be running a little bit low..
Pepe 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5870No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 18 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
On thread drift:
tb wrote:

: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:26 pm  
In EnemyTerritory wrote:
Thing is Pepe, who are the backroom staff. From the sounds of things both Stuart Wilkinson and John Stankevitch have both put their names forward for the job. So I guess that resource might be running a little bit low..

John Foran?

Pat Clusky?

Tim Holmes?

You've also got Steve O'Neil and Flymo there now too?

It's a damn site easier to attract the best coaches to Sintellens, so I doubt Eamon McManus would be the best man to offer advice, Vikingman?
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16474No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 29 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Love a brew.

: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:29 pm  
Pepe wrote:
John Foran?

Pat Clusky?

Tim Holmes?

It's a damn site easier to attract the best coaches to Sintellens, so I doubt Eamon McManus would be the best man to offer advice, Vikingman?

I just meant in terms of contacts in Australia, Widnes is still a real attractive job even if we are in the championship.
Pepe 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5870No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 18 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
On thread drift:
tb wrote:

: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:46 pm  
-VIKINGMAN- wrote:
I just meant in terms of contacts in Australia, Widnes is still a real attractive job even if we are in the championship.

Oh right...

I thought we were talking about the interview panel for the job applicants?
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3575No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 16 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:57 pm  
Pepe wrote:
John Foran?

Pat Clusky?

Tim Holmes? l

I would have thought that three listed were about the last time that SOC took advice on the coaching position and would have included them in the 'insiders' list.
Even if they are on the panel I would not be that comfortable knowing that they were potentially going to be the people to decide, without having other more experienced and possibly more neutral panellists alongside them.
Next